Bob Tyler …

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
He wanted total control of the athletic department so he could direct most of the money toward football only. Same thing Bear Bryant had in Tuscaloosa. Our Admin. wouldn't give it to him, so he eventually left. I think we hired Carl Maddox as AD, but not quite sure about that. Then we hired Emory Bellard as football coach.
Yew.. true.
Loved Tyler as coach but he had a little issue with paranoia . He thought everyone was against him and by the time he left everyone was.

Reactions: patdog

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Not ONE PLAYER See Attached

When I was a student at State I had a great one on one conversation with Coach Tyler in his office one day. He was considering hiring a non-football player to work as an office assistant and "general flunky" but it did not materialize. Truly a fine person and most respectful of me, a lowly non-football player student. Watching his teams was great fun, especially with a backfield of Walter Packer and Terry Vitrano. Those guys could put up some numbers.
We had a glorious stable of running backs in Tyler's time. Obviously, Walter Packer was the diamond of the bunch, Tyler ran that Veer offense with abandon and I want to say Rockey Felker made it even tougher to defend as Rockey was basically another RB you had to worry about. I don' think Packer's forty time was ever published, but on my one road strip to Baton Rouge and Death Valley....Bruce Threadgill pitched it to Packer and he outran LSU's vaunted DBs 80 yards to the land of "Milk & Honey".....right toward me in my seat in the MSU section located in the endzone. My one and only trip to LSU was a WIN!!!......have never been back and never will.

Reactions: patdog

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
We had a glorious stable of running backs in Tyler's time. Obviously, Walter Packer was the diamond of the bunch, Tyler ran that Veer offense with abandon and I want to say Rockey Felker made it even tougher to defend as Rockey was basically another RB you had to worry about. I don' think Packer's forty time was ever published, but on my one road strip to Baton Rouge and Death Valley....Bruce Threadgill pitched it to Packer and he outran LSU's vaunted DBs 80 yards to the land of "Milk & Honey".....right toward me in my seat in the MSU section located in the endzone. My one and only trip to LSU was a WIN!!!......have never been back and never will.
I had a class with Walter Packer. Super nice guy. While waiting on class to start we would stand around in the hallway and he would talk football with me. I don’t even remember what class we were taking but I remember the rest of it very well. That was 1974 and we had a really good team that year. Sun Bowl win over North Carolinas.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
48 teams in the tourney then? We deserved to go, but only 1 SEC team got in.

Actually, in 79 we finished T3. 40 teams in the tourney that year. Only time ever with 40. They were transitioning from 32 to 48.

Two SEC teams got in. LSU as regular season champs, and Tennessee as tournament champs.