Book(s) you are currently reading.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
I’m reading A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny. It’s an Inspector Gamache novel. After spending last week on my bucket list vacation in Quebec and taking the first class train from Montreal to Quebec City (I kept waiting for a moose to jump out of the snowy woods) I felt inspired to read a good murder mystery which takes place in Three Pines, Quebec, and Inspector Gamache is a French Canadian Homicide Detective from Montreal who is the recurring character in all the Penny novels. The plots usually involve some sort of art theme. BTW if you need any restaurant recommendations in Montreal or Quebec City, hit me up.
1702531865738.png

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Looking for the definitive book on the History of the Catholic Church. Any recommendations?
I have not read any Roman Catholic-specific books related to church history, but I have read some books on church history that would necessarily include Roman Catholic history. There is much to the history of the Christian church from the apostles, to the establishment of patriarchate cities, to all the councils, to the growing divide between East and West and eventual schism, to the monastics, to the Reformation and beyond. I find early church history the most interesting (first 300 years).

A couple books I've read that I would recommend are The First Thousand Years: A Global History of Christianity by Robert Louis Wilken, and The Story of Christianity (both volumes 1 and 2) by Justo L. Gonzalez. Albeit, I must say that I've only read Gonzalez's second volume (which covers from the Reformation until today), but if I could take a guess on the worthiness of his first volume based on how his second volume read than I am willing to bet it's also a very good read. The first volume covers from the early church up until the Ref.

Reactions: Dragons 62

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
I have not read any Roman Catholic-specific books related to church history, but I have read some books on church history that would necessarily include Roman Catholic history. There is much to the history of the Christian church from the apostles, to the establishment of patriarchate cities, to all the councils, to the growing divide between East and West and eventual schism, to the monastics, to the Reformation and beyond. I find early church history the most interesting (first 300 years).

A couple books I've read that I would recommend are The First Thousand Years: A Global History of Christianity by Robert Louis Wilken, and The Story of Christianity (both volumes 1 and 2) by Justo L. Gonzalez. Albeit, I must say that I've only read Gonzalez's second volume (which covers from the Reformation until today), but if I could take a guess on the worthiness of his first volume based on how his second volume read than I am willing to bet it's also a very good read. The first volume covers from the early church up until the Ref.
Thanks - will look into both!

Picnits

Oct 6, 2021
I’m reading A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny. It’s an Inspector Gamache novel. After spending last week on my bucket list vacation in Quebec and taking the first class train from Montreal to Quebec City (I kept waiting for a moose to jump out of the snowy woods) I felt inspired to read a good murder mystery which takes place in Three Pines, Quebec, and Inspector Gamache is a French Canadian Homicide Detective from Montreal who is the recurring character in all the Penny novels. The plots usually involve some sort of art theme. BTW if you need any restaurant recommendations in Montreal or Quebec City, hit me up.
View attachment 477832
Love this series

Reactions: Nitwit

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Reading a book on DH Hill. Written by DR hill who lives in north Myrtle and is a descendant of dh hill. Dr hill is a retired general and his entire family has fought in every war since the revolution.
1705887343212.jpeg

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I just saw The Boys in the Boat on Saturday. Really good movie. I would highly recommend it. I read the book a few years ago. Also, highly recommend.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Just finishing The Ministry for the Future which is a compelling and very long read. There is some incredible imagination being presented at the same time we are witnessing some challenges in real time on this planet.

Google it. It’s a fun facts kind or read as well if you want to learn a thing or two if your mind is open to learning.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Lots of politics and history readers.

Any fans of Carmac McCarthy???
Me. I’ve got every McCarthy novel on my shelf, have read Suttree, NCFOM, ATPH, Blood Meridian multiple times.

I really regret not having read Suttree before my time in Knoxville.

Reactions: PSUAVLNC

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
One of my favorites, by Robert Graves. For some reason, every online link to this poem is a variation to my preferred version, so I won't link it. (Graves, like Yeats, was known for obsessively tinkering with his verse.) I've posted it at least once before. Sempiternal: eternal, unchanging.

Rocky Acres, by Robert Graves

This is a wild land, country of my choice,
With harsh craggy mountain, moor ample and bare.
Seldom in these acres is heard any voice
But voice of cold water that runs here and there
Through rocks and lank heather growing without care.
No mice in the heath run, no song-birds fly
For fear of the buzzard that floats in the sky.

He soars and he hovers, rocking on his wings,
He scans his wide parish with a sharp eye,
He catches the trembling of small hidden things,
He tears them in pieces, dropping from the sky;
Tenderness and pity the heart will deny,
Where life is but nourished from water and rock-
A hardy adventure, full of fear and shock.

Time has never journeyed to this lost land,
Crakeberry and heather bloom out of date,
The rocks jut, the streams flow singing on either hand,
Careless if the season be early or late,
The skies wander overhead, now blue, now slate;
Winter would be known by his cutting snow
If June did not borrow his armour also.

Yet this is my country, beloved by me best,
The first land that rose from Chaos and the Flood,
Nursing no valleys for comfort or rest,
Trampled by no shod hooves, bought with no blood
Sempiternal country whose barrows have stood
Stronghold for the demigods when on earth they go,
Terror for fat burghers on far plains below.

Last edited:

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
Me. I’ve got every McCarthy novel on my shelf, have read Suttree, NCFOM, ATPH, Blood Meridian multiple times.

I really regret not having read Suttree before my time in Knoxville.
He’s in my top ten. Great writer……and certainly no proponent of the “happy ending”. That’s for sure!!

• Haha
Reactions: bbrown and LionJim
Oct 6, 2021
The Queen of Cuba - An FBI Agent's Insider Account of the Spy Who Evaded Detection for 17 Years...by Peter J. Lapp

The spy here is Ana Montes.

RochLion

Oct 29, 2021
Got America is in the Heart from my daughter for Christmas and am reading now. Didn't ask for this book but I'm sure she thinks it's for my betterment LOL! Fascinating story and something I wasn't really aware of on the West coast during the depression.

1706448257916.png

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
The American Liberty Pole

I keep forgetting to post about books I just finished. I completed this yesterday, and said to myself I have to remember to add it to the thread.

What little most people know about liberty poles is probably that patriots in some cities raised them in the years leading up to and during the American Revolution.

In The American Liberty Pole, Shira Lurie writes a bit about the poles during the American Revolution. However, her focus of the book is on how the raising (and destruction) of liberty poles really took off during the 1790s, as the new nation was trying to figure out how to handle differing opinions.

The Federalist (Washington, Adams, Hamilton) won the 1st three elections. They felt that the new government that had been established by the US Constitution should be respected, and that differences of opinion should be handled by petition to elected officials, or in the next election.

Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, as leaders of what became the Republican Party (also called the Democratic-Republican party) weren't of the same opinion. They felt that citizens should be free to express their opinions. (Though as the book points out, they liked that approach when it was used to enable Jefferson to win the 4th Presidential election in 1800, but that they quickly pivoted to the Federalist philosophy in terms of what was appropriate means for citizen protest once they were in power.)

One of the strengths of the book is that it really focuses on local issues, and the people involved in the situations, and only makes occasional mention of the big players, like Washington, Adams, Jefferson, etc.

A large part of the book details events that took place in Pennsylvania. Carlisle, Reading, Northampton County, the Whiskey Rebellion, Fries's Rebellion, etc. get a lot of attention in the book.

Very little has been written about liberty poles and the Founding Era, so the book fills a void in research and history. I enjoyed the book. It's not a mass-market narrative -- it's written more for historians and people that are interested in the 1790s, as well as liberty poles in the first 120 years of the USA. I'd give it a 3 or 3.5 out of 5.

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021
This is the best historical account on Caesar’s assassination I have ever read. The author‘s writing style makes this book accessible to the layperson. Enjoy.

1706823926839.jpeg

Attachments

• 1706823706431.jpeg
    1706823706431.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
In Soviet Russia, Stalin finishes YOU!
Ever read Solzhenitsyn’s “The First Circle?” Do yourself a favor. A novel, Stalin is a character. All the KGB chiefs too. I cannot say enough about this great book. I have the Thomas Whitney translation and refuse to upgrade. Solzhenitsyn himself changed the novel a little bit after the Whitney translation but the book was perfect as it was. Good grief, a great great book, a humanist masterpiece.

Last edited:

bohucon

Oct 31, 2021
Just finished:

I read it again after twenty years and was extremely impressed by how it holds up. Weiner is a great voice for scientists; he did a fantastic job with the earlier The Beak of the Finch.

Now reading, another re-read. I'm really digging this.

Killers of the Flower Moon...David Grann

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
Just started "Flags of Our Fathers". Page 6 and I'm tearing up. I normally stick mostly to fiction and highly recommend anything from Nelson DeMille. Start with "Nightfall".

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021
WWLB.jpg
Getting that spring training itch. Lots of good tales in this book. Not the usual retelling of things that everybody already knows, but some quirky, interesting, and heartwarming stories that make me want to hear the gloves popping.

oopie

Nov 8, 2021
I enjoyed the Killing Series, by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard, most recently Killing the Witches set in the Salem days. Lots of historical tidbits, paticularly enjoyed Killing Lincoln, Killing Patton, and Killing The Rising Sun

Latest posts