Book(s) you are currently reading.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

I wonder why he didn't correct that obvious error

BriarwoodBash

Oct 12, 2021
The Happiness Project by Shawn Achor.
Research done by Harvard professor. Saw him speak. Fascinating and reason for optimism if you have negative people in your life that you’d like to help.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
@LionJim, have you read this book? I picked it up from a “Little Free Library” at a local park today. One of these days, I’ll give it a read, but I know I won’t get it.

E982039A-1F13-4FB1-BE8E-51AB6A3B0487.jpeg

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
In honor of Saint Patrick’s Day, a day early. The dead airman was Major Robert Gregory, the son of Yeats's great friend and colleague Augusta Gregory, killed in action January 23, 1918.

An Irish Airman Foresees His Death

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate,
Those that I guard I do not love;
My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Every time I see this thread, I think how much I relate to Jerry…

Elaine: These are good people, Jerry. They read!
Jerry: I read, I read!
Elaine: Books, Jerry.
Jerry: Oh.

Reactions: bbrown and LionJim

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
The back cover says Erdoes didn’t like sex. I’m already lost, and I haven’t even opened the book yet.
So, he had time for other things...like learning Portugese or teaching the New York Yankees how to hit a baseball,

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

This book came out in Feb. 2021, but I didn't get to it until a week or so ago, and completed it on Monday.

It's been some time since there was a new analysis of the the British campaign that ended at Saratoga, and the Patriot responses to that campaign. The author, Kevin Weddle, is a West Point grad, as well as having attained a history Ph.D from Princeton, and currently is a professor of Military Theory and Strategy at the US Army War College, in Carlisle, PA. While most of his previous writing focus has been on the Civil War, his background is perfectly suited for a fresh examination of the the major players, and the not-so-major players, on both sides of the conflict.

Lord Germain, King George III, and Gen. Burgoyne of the British side do not look good in this analysis. On the Patriot side, Major Gen. Arthur St. Clair does not fair too well in this analysis. None of these conclusions are all that different from prior examinations, though both Burgoyne and St. Clair take more criticism than they had in many prior analyses.

The book identifies an under appreciated hero for the Patriots -- Colonel Peter Gansevoort. It also does a great deal to dispose of the common misperception, that has been repeated for decades/centuries in history texts, that Benedict Arnold and Patriot commander Gen. Gates were not speaking near the end of the campaign, and that Arnold, acting as a rogue agent, was responsible for much of the success in the final two battles of the campaign.

It's a pretty long book (390 pages before the Appendixes and Notes). However, I didn't find any sections where the author was being repetitive or wished that the editor had chopped out a section or chapter.

On a 5-pointt scale, I'd rate the book as somewhere between a 4 and a 4.5, and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in what was one of the pivotal victories for the Patriots in the American Revolution.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Only 60 pages to go! Out of 711...... Piper is amazing in his understanding of scripture.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Son 1 gave this to me last week. We’re all big fans CANT wait to dig in

he told me to listen to the album and read a review first
Not sure if this is the review but we both enjoy Ringer

Last edited:
Reactions: bbrown

Fac

Oct 12, 2021
SOG by John L Plaster

The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam.

Last edited:

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
For sci-fi and multi-generational plots you can't beat the Dune series (the original 6 by Frank Herbert)

Oh yeah, I love Dune, read it the first time a long time ago after they came out with the awesome Dune II PC game back in the 90s.

The sequels got a bit too much for me, but I tried. I might not have been sophisticated enough to understand some of the more esoteric concepts back then.

Thank you for the thoughtful recommendation.

Reactions: bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
For sci-fi and multi-generational plots you can't beat the Dune series (the original 6 by Frank Herbert)
The first 3 I really liked. I stopped after God Emperor of Dune.
Didn't his son continue them?

OsmanWard

Jul 29, 2022

Thanks for the information. Very useful information for me. I am currently writing several articles and it is quite important for me to follow all stylistic rules. I read some useful information about Christmas Carol on the site https://writix.com/essay-examples/a-christmas-carol This is one of the topics on which I am writing a study and which is very important to me to finish by the end of the week.
I adore this book.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Eye-opening. It’s amazing to consider how backward Ireland was even into the Sixties. And to read of the breathtaking level of high-up corruption, wow.

Last edited:

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Just finished reading le Carré’s “The Russia House” for the umpteenth time. Going to watch the film again tonight.

Reactions: LionJim