Clemson did not take a single transfer player...

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
Boise State's coach has come out and said freshmen players there won't be allowed to receive NIL.

Both cases seem like a strange place to draw your metaphorical line in the sand. I could see it playing out maybe a little better for Boise State than Clemson. I don't see you how you can sustain program with national title aspirations without taking players from the portal.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Boise State's coach has come out and said freshmen players there won't be allowed to receive NIL.

Both cases seem like a strange place to draw your metaphorical line in the sand. I could see it playing out maybe a little better for Boise State than Clemson. I don't see you how you can sustain program with national title aspirations without taking players from the portal.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Most likely to be not great, but it may weed out people who are more NIL driven to increase chances of internal development. Would also concentrate NIL toward upper classmen to increase chance of retention

Reactions: kired

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: patdog

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Dabo will either adapt to the transfer/NIL world we live in or he will be fired. Same for the Boise coach.

I kinda admire it in a way. I find the whole NIL/unlimited transfers thing disgusting, but in their position I don't know that I could stick by my principles and lose means to exceptionally gainful employment.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I kinda admire it in a way. I find the whole NIL/unlimited transfers thing disgusting, but in their position I don't know that I could stick by my principles and lose means to exceptionally gainful employment.
I think it's more like a child throwing a tantrum because his old methods of illegally paying recruits have now been pretty much made legal for both recruits and transfers.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
How will they restrict freshmen from signing NIL deals? Is there verbiage in a contact that freshmen sign that states those guys arent allowed to work and earn money?
...because thats exactly what NIL is- its being paid for work. It may be absurdly easy work, and it may be incredibly brief work, but NIL is being paid for value that you create...which is work.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don't see how they can enforce this. Perhaps this is specific to the main Boise State NIL collective. An NIL collective can have its own policies, but I don't see how they can tell a Boise State freshman they can't be compensated for NIL.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It has to start somewhere. The NCAA isn't going to fix it. I guess the schools will. I doubt it can be done. At least it's a start.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
dabo is such a moron
Egotistical. He's just like Freeze. They assume people come to their school solely because of them or their "teachings". In reality, its the ancillary stuff like call girls and money.

Last edited:

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I assume they'll play the players they've recruited and fill in by recruiting high school players to replace the ones who transfer out. Are they allowed to take enough incoming freshmen to get to 85 scholarship players?

Reactions: Howiefeltersnstch

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I assume they'll play the players they've recruited and fill in by recruiting high school players to replace the ones who transfer out. Are they allowed to take enough incoming freshmen to get to 85 scholarship players?
Good question. At least for this last go-around, they only signed 22 players. So I guess they'll just be under the 85?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
...from their collective. They can still get traditional NIL deals but Boise isn't promising them anything.

I can't imagine Boise is competing with other programs that are handing out NIL dollars for HS recruits...maybe for QBs, but that's about it.

Dec 28, 2019
Dude...they sign high school players every year. They are not gonna fall short of players. If they lost 21 they can simply sign 21 or more freshmen. Now how it's gonna work out wins and losses is yet to be seen but college coaches did it for years.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Dude...they sign high school players every year. They are not gonna fall short of players. If they lost 21 they can simply sign 21 or more freshmen. Now how it's gonna work out wins and losses is yet to be seen but college coaches did it for years.
You realize that players also run out of eligibility. So you have those plus the players that transferred out. And isn't there a max # of players you can sign that aren't transfers.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I think it's more like a child throwing a tantrum because his old methods of illegally paying recruits have now been pretty much made legal for both recruits and transfers.

That's fair. He and Saban both cheated their asses off then complained when the floodgates opened and the playing field started leveling.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Dabo is an idiot and one of many reasons bama didn't come calling, he will adapt or get fired. Even saban would pick up a transfer.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
How will they restrict freshmen from signing NIL deals? Is there verbiage in a contact that freshmen sign that states those guys arent allowed to work and earn money?
...because thats exactly what NIL is- its being paid for work. It may be absurdly easy work, and it may be incredibly brief work, but NIL is being paid for value that you create...which is work.
I agree, but that was the quote I saw last night. Here's an article where he clarified that they aren't promising nil funds during the recruitment process, but freshmen can pursue deals on their own.
https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/news/college-football-team-boise-state-nil-approach

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
...from their collective. They can still get traditional NIL deals but Boise isn't promising them anything.

I can't imagine Boise is competing with other programs that are handing out NIL dollars for HS recruits...maybe for QBs, but that's about it.
Yep, you're right. Just posted a link to an article where the coach clarified the quote.

Dec 28, 2019
You realize that players also run out of eligibility. So you have those plus the players that transferred out. And isn't there a max # of players you can sign that aren't transfers.
Is that 21 that ran out of eligibility ? Is it 21 that transferred ? Is it 21 total ? I think the number is 25 but they fudge it here and there as to high school signees. Idk how it's gonna work but he has been doing this for years and getting paid millions so he probly has a plan. How many college coaches do we have pontificating on this board ?

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I agree, but that was the quote I saw last night. Here's an article where he clarified that they aren't promising nil funds during the recruitment process, but freshmen can pursue deals on their own.
https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/news/college-football-team-boise-state-nil-approach

What’s funny is no coaches are supposed to promise NIL deals. He clarified that he follows the rules. They need to go ahead and change the rules at this point because no one is legitimately following them.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020