College FB coaching carousel 2022

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
My only question is Fickell leaving because the cupboard is getting bare? Haven't followed their last few recruiting classes. I think it's a good get is Wiscy can get him but may be other suitors as well

The Athletic has an article whose headline (or tease summary; can't remember which) purports to answer why Fickell left Cincy at this time. I'm not a subscriber, so I can't access the article.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
David Shaw steps down at Stanford. Dude is a good coach; wonder if he’ll put his name out there for other openings. Stanford is a tough job.

Not sure what Shaw has planned, but I’d see if he wants to be an analyst… maybe at large as opposed to something specific. Everyone seems to say nothing but great things about him. I could see him coaching somewhere else or even a tv color guy.

Reactions: pap

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Hugh Freeze & Auburn. Let's hope it happens for the sheer entertainment value.

He seems to fit right in to the Auburn culture.

My guess is some wanted Deon, for the sheer name value. But Deon needs a couple more years. - besides, isn't he high on Colorado's wish list?

Last edited by a moderator:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
You Get It GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Reactions: BobPSU92

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Already rumors that Auburn is cooling on Freeze due to his social media postings... Franklin is rumored to be in the mix if they pass on Freeze.
Most of the reports I've read which are trying to connect Franklin to Auburn have originated from Penn State related sources. I find that to be very weird.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Word is Stanford would love to pry Chris Peterson out of the broadcast booth to Palo Alto…

Reactions: Bison13

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

Briles will be a tough sell. No doubt he can coach but brings a lot of baggage. Being a strong Christian school be interesting to see if they would take a shot on Briles and ask for forgiveness or if they would take a hard pass.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
The Athletic has an article whose headline (or tease summary; can't remember which) purports to answer why Fickell left Cincy at this time. I'm not a subscriber, so I can't access the article.

Gist is he felt like he might have missed out on opportunities last year (specifically ND) and that it's too difficult to compete at Cincinnati's level with NIL and portal allowing for best players to leave on a whim (noted Cincinnati lost 9 players from it's CFP team this year). Also, this appears to have been in the works for some time - his wife visited Wisconsin in early November to gauge interest. Seems like Wisconsin was a good, familiar fit, with the resources to compete in the new college football landscape.

Latest posts