FSU vs ACC

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Besides the fact that, as a member of the B1G, Nebraska automatically and annually plays a more attractive and telegenic schedule than FSU, right now, I measure desirability by the degree to which someone would be willing to beguile either one of these to leave their present league to move to another league.
Already happened with NEB. Nobody is dumb enough to leave the B1G, so it’s a moot point.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Already happened with NEB. Nobody is dumb enough to leave the B1G, so it’s a moot point.
Explains the TV numbers, at the very least. But Nebraska ain't sexy like they were, either. I'm sure the B1G has buyer's remorse about them.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Explains the TV numbers, at the very least. But Nebraska ain't sexy like they were, either. I'm sure the B1G has buyer's remorse about them.
Sexy doesn't matter in terms of value. There are a handful of blue bloods that hadn't been sexy for a while. NEB, TX (until last year), SoCal, ND to name a few. They're all a better draw than FSU. FSU had gone 10 years without winning a pathetic ACC.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Sexy doesn't matter in terms of value. There are a handful of blue bloods that hadn't been sexy for a while. NEB, TX (until last year), SoCal, ND to name a few. They're all a better draw than FSU. FSU had gone 10 years without winning a pathetic ACC.
I'll keep the hand I have.

Reactions: DaboSits2PeePee

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
It's is blatantly obvious that your prejudices are clouding your judgement in the matter concerning FSU.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
It's is blatantly obvious that your prejudices are clouding your judgement in the matter concerning FSU.
I have no ill will or any prejudices against FSU. In fact, I've always liked FSU. Partly bc they used to beat the snot out of Clem every year, and partly b/c I loved Deion Sanders growing up. I loved their swagger. Very similar to Da U. But that doesn't change their standing as it relates to other blue bloods, NEB included.

Reactions: DrMickeySC

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I have no ill will or any prejudices against FSU. In fact, I've always liked FSU. Partly bc they used to beat the snot out of Clem every year, and partly b/c I loved Deion Sanders growing up. I loved their swagger. Very similar to Da U. But that doesn't change their standing as it relates to other blue bloods, NEB included.
You are so right.

Ranking the most-watched college football programs in 2023​

FSU # 7, Nebraska # 15, So Cal #11, ND# 8, Oklahoma #14. And the list goes on and on.

But, but, this list is not accurate in 3, 2, 1 .......

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Already addressed that. FSU had a much better year, which drew more eyeballs. Also played in a conference championship that drew a big viewership. And also played in a much better bowl than any of the others, which drew a lot more viewership (not for the reasons they wanted though). The fact that NEB has been a dumpster fire on the field for a decade and still at 15 is impressive. I believe we were in the 40s and clem in the upper 20s correct? If NEB went 12-0 and won the B1G do you think FSU would have higher viewership than them?

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Already addressed that. FSU had a much better year, which drew more eyeballs. Also played in a conference championship that drew a big viewership. And also played in a much better bowl than any of the others, which drew a lot more viewership (not for the reasons they wanted though). The fact that NEB has been a dumpster fire on the field for a decade and still at 15 is impressive. I believe we were in the 40s and clem in the upper 20s correct? If NEB went 12-0 and won the B1G do you think FSU would have higher viewership than them?
Sorry dude, but no one on this board is buying this nonsensical and woefully misguided narrative that Nebraska has a higher profile than FSU.
No one.
I've said my piece, I will now consider this particular conversation closed.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Sorry dude, but no one on this board is buying this nonsensical and woefully misguided narrative that Nebraska has a higher profile than FSU.
No one.
I've said my piece, I will now consider this particular conversation closed.
lol. I don't care how many of y'all are wrong. Good day.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Why is this a Nebraska versus FSU discussion. Nebraska isn't in play and wouldn't accept a bid to the SEC even if the SEC begged. As of now, the schools in play are FSU, UNC, Miami, and Clemson based on previous reports. One of those is absolutely not in play for the B1G and that is Clemson. UNC is heavily in play for both conferences....but I've understood that they prefer the academics of the B1G. Between FSU and Miami, FSU would be a better cultural fit from an athletic standpoint in the SEC. Miami would be more of a cultural fit academically and athletically in the B1G. And I've understood that two schools have already made entreaties to the B1G through back channels.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Why is this a Nebraska versus FSU discussion. Nebraska isn't in play and wouldn't accept a bid to the SEC even if the SEC begged. As of now, the schools in play are FSU, UNC, Miami, and Clemson based on previous reports. One of those is absolutely not in play for the B1G and that is Clemson. UNC is heavily in play for both conferences....but I've understood that they prefer the academics of the B1G. Between FSU and Miami, FSU would be a better cultural fit from an athletic standpoint in the SEC. Miami would be more of a cultural fit academically and athletically in the B1G. And I've understood that two schools have already made entreaties to the B1G through back channels.
Not guilty on the Nebraska thing, beyond getting sucked in. 😂

• Haha

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
It was initially a discussion about Neb/B1G/AAU. 18 said FSU is 100 times more valuable than Neb. I said Neb is more valuable than FSU and it was on. 😂

sandiegohawk

Iowa Swarm member
Dec 19, 2022
...As of now, the schools in play are FSU, UNC, Miami, and Clemson based on previous reports. One of those is absolutely not in play for the B1G and that is Clemson. UNC is heavily in play for both conferences....but I've understood that they prefer the academics of the B1G. Between FSU and Miami, FSU would be a better cultural fit from an athletic standpoint in the SEC. Miami would be more of a cultural fit academically and athletically in the B1G. And I've understood that two schools have already made entreaties to the B1G through back channels.
I've read way too much on this and probably 99% of what I have read is from people that don't know any more than I do....with the being said, I think the B1G/Fox wants FSU & ND (who both increase the per school B1G payout) and thats it. They would like UNC too but I think they are destined for the SEC.

IMO B1G will stop and be very happy at 20 (which is a big league but much more manageable then if you go beyond 20). At 20 schools you probably go to 10 conference football games and play everyone once over 2 years and your 'rival' twice and play in every B1G stadium in a 4-year period. In basketball you play 20-game league schedule, play everyone once and your 'rival' twice. All the non-rev sports probably try to be a little/lot more 'regionalized' when possible.

As to people that probably know a lot more than I do, I see the FSU on3 site admin put an update out on Wednesday that had a few interesting updates on if the SEC is still in play for FSU and the B1G having little interest in Clemson.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I've read way too much on this and probably 99% of what I have read is from people that don't know any more than I do....with the being said, I think the B1G/Fox wants FSU & ND (who both increase the per school B1G payout) and thats it. They would like UNC too but I think they are destined for the SEC.

IMO B1G will stop and be very happy at 20 (which is a big league but much more manageable then if you go beyond 20). At 20 schools you probably go to 10 conference football games and play everyone once over 2 years and your 'rival' twice and play in every B1G stadium in a 4-year period. In basketball you play 20-game league schedule, play everyone once and your 'rival' twice. All the non-rev sports probably try to be a little/lot more 'regionalized' when possible.

As to people that probably know a lot more than I do, I see the FSU on3 site admin put an update out on Wednesday that had a few interesting updates on if the SEC is still in play for FSU and the B1G having little interest in Clemson.

They can't want FSU b/c FSU is not AAU. According to some on here anyway. I disagree.

sandiegohawk

Iowa Swarm member
Dec 19, 2022
They can't want FSU b/c FSU is not AAU. According to some on here anyway. I disagree.
Academically FSU is a top 20 public university that fits well into the Big Ten and their admin has been making moves over the last several years to become an AAU member. Even without that, it won't stop the B1G from offering them a spot. FSU knows they have a full offer membership invite from the B1G if/when they get out of the ACC otherwise they would be not making all of the waves that they are to get out of the ACC.

Below is from the first page (actual page 8 of the pdf) of the FSU 2023-2027 Strategic Plan liked below.
Central to the FSU Strategic Plan is to gain membership in the Association of American Universities (AAU), an elite group of America’s leading research universities. A university must meet high standards to be invited into the AAU, including:
-Competitively funded federal research grants
-Faculty awards, fellowships and memberships in the national academies
-Strong focus on producing doctoral degrees and postdoctoral appointments
-Undergraduate achievement

FSU has made significant progress across AAU metrics and is well-poised for AAU membership
-Extensive and growing research portfolio—with a goal of exceeding $500M annually in research expenditures
-Strong academic trajectory
-Leadership in health and other issues affecting rural and underrepresented populations
60 highly recognized research organizations....

Last edited:

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

I've seen you say this about the B10 and Clemson before. How sure are you? One of the more recent rumors I've heard had ND throwing a wrench in and stepping in front of CU and B10 dealings.

Rumor, of course. But it seems that it's not 100% a "no". And I understand if you wish to remain vague about how you know.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I've seen you say this about the B10 and Clemson before. How sure are you? One of the more recent rumors I've heard had ND throwing a wrench in and stepping in front of CU and B10 dealings.

Rumor, of course. But it seems that it's not 100% a "no". And I understand if you wish to remain vague about how you know.
Preface: I know nothing about the research community, and what Clemson may or may not bring to the table.

Clemson doesn't generate enough research $$. They received $230M in research funding in 2023. Sounds like a lot, until you learn that Maryland received $834M. The BTAA wouldn't value them.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Preface: I know nothing about the research community, and what Clemson may or may not bring to the table.

Clemson doesn't generate enough research $$. They received $230M in research funding in 2023. Sounds like a lot, until you learn that Maryland received $834M. The BTAA wouldn't value them.

Yeah, I see that. I always heard AAU membership was the hurdle, but that would eliminate FSU too.

I'm just wondering if it's as hard a "no" as some think.

Personally, I would rather cu ends up in the SEC, where I think they'd be taken down a few notches. I worry with the B10 money and schedule, they could be more successful.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Yeah, I see that. I always heard AAU membership was the hurdle, but that would eliminate FSU too.

Personally, I would rather cu ends up in the SEC, where I think they'd be taken down a few notches. I worry with the B10 money and schedule, they could be more successful.

I do not think it's a hard "no" at all. I believe it would take the Big 10 about 0.13746 seconds to snatch up FSU and plant a flag on the SEC's face.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023

If everyone's assumption is true, that the B1G and SEC are going to break away the money will be even, as they'll certainly try to negotiate a mega deal with the networks. They'd be stupid not to try to level the sum of the whole.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I do not think it's a hard "no" at all. I believe it would take the Big 10 about 0.13746 seconds to snatch up FSU and plant a flag on the SEC's face.
I don't get that. We don't have FSU as it is. It doesn't really matter if they're in the ACC or B1G...still not in the SEC.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't get that. We don't have FSU as it is. It doesn't really matter if they're in the ACC or B1G...still not in the SEC.

Most seem to believe the Big 10 would covet the Florida market and direct ties to recruiting in the southeast. They would not be taking a school from the SEC. That won't happen. But getting a foothold squarely in the footprint of the other major conference in college football would be huge for them.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Most seem to believe the Big 10 would covet the Florida market and direct ties to recruiting in the southeast. They would not be taking a school from the SEC. That won't happen. But getting a foothold squarely in the footprint of the other major conference in college football would be huge for them.
It would also be unanswerable from the SEC perspective.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It would also be unanswerable from the SEC perspective.

Yeah, I don't see how. The conferences have been firing shots indirectly up to this point. Taking the major team out of Florida would be direct and, as you say, unanswerable. It would be like the SEC taking PSU, which ain't gonna happen.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
B1G is not interested in taking any team from the SEC. The B1G is interested in becoming a national conference. Taking 1-2 teams in Florida would be a major get for them, and a massive blow against the SEC.
You would only be fooling yourself to think otherwise.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022

I have two close former law school classmates who are in the academic administration at two different B1G schools. B1G will not dilute its academic standing for anyone....you have to be able to attract research funding to be a member and Clemson does not do that. A large part of being in the B1G is participation in the BTAA which distributes over a billion dollars annually to its member schools. That is very important to them....so any school offered has to have the academic clout to be able to attract their fair share. At least that is what I've been told over and over in a nutshell. UNC and Miami are already AAU status and draw a lot of research money of their own accord and the belief is their addition would draw more money to the BTAA....as member schools often cooperate on projects and share information. FSU is close to AAU status and it is believed they will get an invitation next year. Miami is attractively athletically because they are one of UNDs 10 largest rivals and would give the B1G 7/8 of the ten......and the belief is that having those rivals will eventually draw in UND when they decide it is in their best interest to join a conference. At least that is my basic understanding from my discussions. The ADs in the B1G will have little leverage in the decision....this will be the Presidents and the BOT/BOGs.

EDIT: Also have one tax school classmate whose dad was a former President of the PSU alumni club and he is hearing similar discussions at PSU.

Last edited:

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I have two close former law school classmates who are in the academic administration at two different B1G schools. B1G will not dilute its academic standing for anyone....you have to be able to attract research funding to be a member and Clemson does not do that. A large part of being in the B1G is participation in the BTAA which distributes over a billion dollars annually to its member schools. That is very important to them....so any school offered has to have the academic clout to be able to attract their fair share. At least that is what I've been told over and over in a nutshell. UNC and Miami are already AAU status and draw a lot of research money of their own accord and the belief is their addition would draw more money to the BTAA....as member schools often cooperate on projects and share information. FSU is close to AAU status and it is believed they will get an invitation next year. Miami is attractively athletically because they are one of UNDs 10 largest rivals and would give the B1G 7/8 of the ten......and the belief is that having those rivals will eventually draw in UND when they decide it is in their best interest to join a conference. At least that is my basic understanding from my discussions. The ADs in the B1G will have little leverage in the decision....this will be the Presidents and the BOT/BOGs.
All of this! People get wrapped up in football. But it's so much more than that for the B1G. Zero chance Clem ends up there.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022

If I'm not mistaken most of Clemson's increase in research funding comes from automotive engineering which is fairly new. The B1G already has at least three of the biggest automotive research universities in Michigan, Indiana and Purdue....plus the priority for the B1G currently seems to be cancer research and Clemson doesn't have a medical program. IMO GaTech would stand a greater chance than Clemson of getting an invite to the B1G....as they are a much, much more reknown engineering school overall and does bring in a lot of research funding.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
If I'm not mistaken most of Clemson's increase in research funding comes from automotive engineering which is fairly new. The B1G already has at least three of the biggest automotive research universities in Michigan, Indiana and Purdue....plus the priority for the B1G currently seems to be cancer research and Clemson doesn't have a medical program. IMO GaTech would stand a greater chance than Clemson of getting an invite to the B1G....as they are a much, much more reknown engineering school overall and does bring in a lot of research funding.
Yes. Agree on GT.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
B1G is not interested in taking any team from the SEC. The B1G is interested in becoming a national conference. Taking 1-2 teams in Florida would be a major get for them, and a massive blow against the SEC.
You would only be fooling yourself to think otherwise.

hmmm…you obviously think I’m wrong about something, but you’ve agreed with everything I said.

I never said the Big 10 wants or was pursuing a team from the SEC. So I’m not sure what that comment is in reference to.

The last 3 sentences of your post are simply restating things I already said above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yard_Pimps

VZVZ

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jun 20, 2023
1) FSU is not going to drop the case
2) The buyback is less, much less than the reported 429 million.
3) Not posturing, there is a reason that the ACC is litigating to keep all records sealed. It's going to be a very bad.
The ACC f’ed up.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Nebraska is no longer a blue blood. They haven't been relevant to college football in two decades and likely won't be relevant again in the future.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Slice it; dice it; puree it; do whatever you want to do with it. This is the inexorable direction.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Slice it; dice it; puree it; do whatever you want to do with it. This is the inexorable direction.

I don't think the direction is debated topic, it's timing. ESPN will dictate it. They can jamb FSU up in court for as long as they need to to keep the B1G away. B1G isn't going to extend an invite while they're locked in a court battle of media rights.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I don't think the direction is debated topic, it's timing. ESPN will dictate it. They can jamb FSU up in court for as long as they need to to keep the B1G away. B1G isn't going to extend an invite while they're locked in a court battle of media rights.
I think the direction HAS been a debated topic - and lately - and right here on these pages. And some people have modified their positions. SOME people averred that the ACC's GOR would hold up if the league persisted.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I think the direction HAS been a debated topic - and lately - and right here on these pages. And some people have modified their positions. SOME people averred that the ACC's GOR would hold up if the league persisted.
You CAN think that the GOR will hold up AND think that FSU will leave the ACC. Those two scenarios are not mutually exclusive.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Keep in mind you're only getting one side of the story here. Everyone is all of a sudden a legal scholar or a TV executive...myself included! :ROFLMAO:

haha, yeah, this whole topic has spawned a legion of legal self-professed legal experts on this forum. Truth is, nobody knows. For every argument against the GOR, there's an equally valid argument for the GOR.

It looks like FSU and the ACC are barreling towards a breakup, but it's really anyone's guess.