FSU vs ACC

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
You CAN think that the GOR will hold up AND think that FSU will leave the ACC. Those two scenarios are not mutually exclusive.
They pretty much are. FSU must think so. That's why they are proceeding along the lines they are. They might attack the league at a different point, but the GOR is the nut they are trying to crack - have to crack - not the principal, but the formidableness.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
They pretty much are. FSU must think so. That's why they are proceeding along the lines they are. They might attack the league at a different point, but the GOR is the nut they are trying to crack - have to crack - not the principal, but the formidableness.
Agree. And that's where the principle disagreements lie...if they'll be able to. I don't think they will, UNTIL the penalty.....err..."buyback of rights" is low enough for them to swallow.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Latest filing from ACC vs FSU:

Gotta say, it's pretty funny that FSU is miffed that the ACC got their lawsuit filed one day before they did. "They sued us before we could sue them!"
FSU wants to get this thing down to Florida courts, for very obvious reasons. ACC wants it in NC, for obvious reasons. ACC cites more legal precedent while FSU's arguments all boil down to "it's just not fair."

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Latest filing from ACC vs FSU:

Gotta say, it's pretty funny that FSU is miffed that the ACC got their lawsuit filed one day before they did. "They sued us before we could sue them!"
FSU wants to get this thing down to Florida courts, for very obvious reasons. ACC wants it in NC, for obvious reasons. ACC cites more legal precedent while FSU's arguments all boil down to "it's just not fair."
After reading both articles provided, it should be noted that what one is reading is the ACC legal complaint, as to where the legal proceedings should be held, and so it should be expected that the filing is designed to paint FSU not only in a unfavorable light, but to make their complaint(s) look frivolous.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
After reading both articles provided, it should be noted that what one is reading is the ACC legal complaint, so it it is expected that the filing is designed to paint FSU in a unfavorable light. In reading the FSU filing the same principle applies.

That is true, for sure.

I just had to get a good chuckle that FSU accused the ACC of "rushing to the courthouse" b/c they beat them by 1 day in filing their lawsuit.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Interesting comments from UNC AD. Seems to be in the thought of waiting this thing out, and making it as good of a situation as they can until 2036. Then assess options. I thought his comment about FSU was a vailed threat. We now know of at least one school that won't be voting in favor of a reduced settlement for FSU.

"You don't have to have the most money to win. And I think we've demonstrated that in every sport that we have."

"If Florida State thinks that they have greater value than our league and want to leave, wouldn't we ask to share in the upside of that greater value?” Cunningham said. “So I'm not sure that $500 [million] is going to be enough. So maybe it's $600 or $700 million to get out of the league. I don't know."

"I think our obligation to the ACC is to be the best partner with our conference that we can possibly be,” Cunningham said. “I also think that we have to look at what is in the best interest of the university today and going forward. And I think you can do both. I think you can be a great partner and say, we're going to do everything we can to support this league. And maybe if we can get more into the ACC Network, support the ACC Network, drive subscribers, get more digital content that we can have direct to consumer relationships, that's what we should be working on. If it benefits the league, great.

“At the same time, what's going on nationally and how do we put ourselves in the best position between now, 2036 and beyond? Being good stewards of the revenues and resources that we have, having great teams that compete at the highest level and recognizing we're in a state that is not in some of the other leagues, either, long-term that is going to be a real asset to us. But when does that occur? I don't have a timetable on that."

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Interesting comments from UNC AD. Seems to be in the thought of waiting this thing out, and making it as good of a situation as they can until 2036. Then assess options. I thought his comment about FSU was a vailed threat. We now know of at least one school that won't be voting in favor of a reduced settlement for FSU.

"You don't have to have the most money to win. And I think we've demonstrated that in every sport that we have."

"If Florida State thinks that they have greater value than our league and want to leave, wouldn't we ask to share in the upside of that greater value?” Cunningham said. “So I'm not sure that $500 [million] is going to be enough. So maybe it's $600 or $700 million to get out of the league. I don't know."

"I think our obligation to the ACC is to be the best partner with our conference that we can possibly be,” Cunningham said. “I also think that we have to look at what is in the best interest of the university today and going forward. And I think you can do both. I think you can be a great partner and say, we're going to do everything we can to support this league. And maybe if we can get more into the ACC Network, support the ACC Network, drive subscribers, get more digital content that we can have direct to consumer relationships, that's what we should be working on. If it benefits the league, great.

“At the same time, what's going on nationally and how do we put ourselves in the best position between now, 2036 and beyond? Being good stewards of the revenues and resources that we have, having great teams that compete at the highest level and recognizing we're in a state that is not in some of the other leagues, either, long-term that is going to be a real asset to us. But when does that occur? I don't have a timetable on that."

The UNC System just took over all decision-making power as regards conference affiliation. Maybe he has their administrative "hand" up his puppet "back".

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I watched some "insider" on YouTube that had UNC with a foot out the door already, and trying to avoid being tied to NC State as an anchor.

I still dont buy anything made public. I envision a press conference : "We are committed to this conference.....(handed note).... um, we are excited about our new conference and the possibilities it provides".

Last edited:

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I watched some "insider" on YouTube that had UNC with a foot out the door already, and trying to avoid g tiedbto NC State as an anchor.

I still dont buy anything made public. I envision a press conference : "We are committed to this conference.....(handed note).... um, we are excited about our new conference and the possibilities it provides".
Nobody is doing anything until this FSU deal is solved, one way or another. To me the most interesting part was that there is a thought process that FSU's $572M valuation wasn't enough. If Bubba is saying that publicly, he's likely not the only one with that thought.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Nobody is doing anything until this FSU deal is solved, one way or another. To me the most interesting part was that there is a thought process that FSU's $572M valuation wasn't enough. If Bubba is saying that publicly, he's likely not the only one with that thought.

Yeah, I'm not sure why some think FSU would be able to get out of this on the cheap.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Why is this a Nebraska versus FSU discussion. Nebraska isn't in play and wouldn't accept a bid to the SEC even if the SEC begged. As of now, the schools in play are FSU, UNC, Miami, and Clemson based on previous reports. One of those is absolutely not in play for the B1G and that is Clemson. UNC is heavily in play for both conferences....but I've understood that they prefer the academics of the B1G. Between FSU and Miami, FSU would be a better cultural fit from an athletic standpoint in the SEC. Miami would be more of a cultural fit academically and athletically in the B1G. And I've understood that two schools have already made entreaties to the B1G through back channels.
I get what you’re saying but you’ll have to forgive me in believing they might not have a clue either. Fox is pulling the big10 strings and you won’t convince me otherwise. Same as ESPN and the sec. If either of those two called the conference leaders and said we need Clemson it would happen as soon as the way out of the acc is paved. What I’m trying to say is neither of the conferences will bite the hands that feed them. I don’t buy that Clemson is totally out of the big conversation. I would include dabosits but he parrots what you say.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Side note to the current discussion, but I've never been able to discern the position of USC fans on this issue. On the one hand, our fans often laugh at Clemson being stuck in the ACC, but at other times bemoan the fact that they have an easier path to the playoff in the ACC, and then want the ACC to implode so Clemson is hung out to dry but then want the ACC to stay intact so Clemson continues with their low revenue, then we don't them in the SEC so that they don't get SEC money but do want them in the SEC because it's unlikely they'd emerge as a title contender.
I just miss playing our natural geographic rivals on an ongoing basis each season in each sport.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
It is funny that the ACC needs a fence to keep teams in the ACC. The SEC needs a fence to keep teams out. I am wondering what effects does it have with the ACC adding teams but not getting any more tv money. Even though SMU does not get anything for 5 years it will get paid before 2036. Not to mention the extra travel cost involved. I know the teams that voted against the additional teams are all teams mentioned on wanting to leave.
Schools, not teams.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
We are to believe one poster on a gamecocks forum over a crap ton of smoke over the las ten years about Clemson to the Big? Na I’ll choose to believe where there is smoke there is fire.
Clem has been leaving for 20 years. I guess at some point they’re bound to be right.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I'm of the opinion that yes, they want in the SEC, but I think it'll be worse for them in the long run. I think the competition will knock them down a few pegs.

I get the notion that they want it, so don't let them have it. But I also think, in the end, it brings them right back to our level.
For years prior to 1990, F$U wanted in the SEC, which would have been a geographical and demographical fit for them. But then some faculty pushed hard for ACC membership, citing the academic prowess of many members (that ended up in the toilet when they invited Louisville to join). And yes, an easier path in football for national titles didn't hurt.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
No one seems to be talking about is: what makes FSU think the SEC wants them in the conference? the SEC already has Florida TV market with the gators. same would apply to Clemson and the SC TV market. i guess FSU could go to another conference but their fans and media think they are a shoe-in to the SEC, post ACC.
They had their chance in 1990.

Reactions: GCJerryUSC

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Especially if Miami and UNC soon follow FSU out the door. IMO FSU is simply playing front man in all this,
I don't think the Big Four will split up.

Remember, UNC = Northern Colorado. UnCarolina is the delusional folk in Chapel Hill

Reactions: Rogue Cock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Angel Reese isn't "skeered."

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I get what you’re saying but you’ll have to forgive me in believing they might not have a clue either. Fox is pulling the big10 strings and you won’t convince me otherwise. Same as ESPN and the sec. If either of those two called the conference leaders and said we need Clemson it would happen as soon as the way out of the acc is paved. What I’m trying to say is neither of the conferences will bite the hands that feed them. I don’t buy that Clemson is totally out of the big conversation. I would include dabosits but he parrots what you say.
If parroting means agreeing with conventional wisdom, then I guess you’re correct.

All the big blue bloods now in that conference, and Fox NEEDS Clem? From a mid sized TV market? Ok.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
For years prior to 1990, F$U wanted in the SEC, which would have been a geographical and demographical fit for them. But then some faculty pushed hard for ACC membership, citing the academic prowess of many members (that ended up in the toilet when they invited Louisville to join). And yes, an easier path in football for national titles didn't hurt.
Bowden also. I heard it from his own prerecorded voice.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I say that regarding Clemson because the BTAA provides the member schools more money annually for research funding than does their FOX media contract for athletics. Clemson simply does not attract enough research funding to maintain that.

Last edited:

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Bumping this. Some friends are all excited about supposed leaks on Twitter.

FSU and Clemson supposedly negotiating a greatly reduced buyout, and a partial payout from SEC over 10 years.

Probably worth the same as all the other rumors.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Bumping this. Some friends are all excited about supposed leaks on Twitter.

FSU and Clemson supposedly negotiating a greatly reduced buyout, and a partial payout from SEC over 10 years.

Probably worth the same as all the other rumors.
People are just throwing crap against the wall to get some attention. If any of it happens to stick, it will be a bonus. For now, they're just click-baiting.

Reactions: Lurker123

Greer

Jan 2, 2024
Makes sense for all involved. Both sides have some control in a settlement. Once it gets to court you lose ALL control. Maybe it's just my bias in not wanting to see ANOTHER conference go by the wayside, but I can see FSU doing this just to see what cards the ACC is holding, then deciding to drop the case. I just can't imagine paying out that kind of money when in a few years you'll be able to get out for free or significantly less. Just feels like a lot of posturing on both sides at this point.
I still don't think FSU will pay out anything near this amount. I said less than $100MM a few weeks ago and got some eye rolls. This will settle for closer to $50MM and likely by the end of June. ESPN will use thier leverage to pressure the ACC into settling since they do not want their trade secrets (which some would consider anto competitive practices) coming out. The ACC also does not want the shenanigans of a former commisioner coming out.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I still don't think FSU will pay out anything near this amount. I said less than $100MM a few weeks ago and got some eye rolls. This will settle for closer to $50MM and likely by the end of June. ESPN will use thier leverage to pressure the ACC into settling since they do not want their trade secrets (which some would consider anto competitive practices) coming out. The ACC also does not want the shenanigans of a former commisioner coming out.

I don't have any idea how it will shake out in terms of cost, but I don't see the rationale for the ACC settling. As I see it, their only option is to fight this to the death. If FSU gets out, no matter how much they pay, then the ACC is dead. At that point, exit fees are irrelevant. If FSU can get out, it will trigger a mass exodus from the conference. There are no schools for the ACC to add once FSU, Clemson, UNC, etc all take off. The ACC will fight like heck to keep FSU b/c it's a matter of life and death for the conference.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I don't have any idea how it will shake out in terms of cost, but I don't see the rationale for the ACC settling. As I see it, their only option is to fight this to the death. If FSU gets out, no matter how much they pay, then the ACC is dead. At that point, exit fees are irrelevant. If FSU can get out, it will trigger a mass exodus from the conference. There are no schools for the ACC to add once FSU, Clemson, UNC, etc all take off. The ACC will fight like heck to keep FSU b/c it's a matter of life and death for the conference.

Rumor, of course.

But I am reading that the addition of SMU, Stanford and Cal were done so the ACC could continue after FSU and Clemson left.

Not sure I buy that though, because if those two leave, I see several others jumping ship and being gobbled up by the B2.

I believe that earnest negotiations are going on right now though.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Rumor, of course.

But I am reading that the addition of SMU, Stanford and Cal were done so the ACC could continue after FSU and Clemson left.

Not sure I buy that though, because if those two leave, I see several others jumping ship and being gobbled up by the B2.

I believe that earnest negotiations are going on right now though.

If FSU and Clemson get out, nothing else matters,. I don't think. They will have lost the 2 flagship football program. And, almost certainly, UNC bolts (supposedly a package deal with NC State...we know how those handshake deals go) along with UVA. Probably Miami. If FSU can leave, the ACC will hemorrhage all their top teams. I just don't see Stanford, Cal and SMU offsetting that. Those were considered fairly weak additions at the time anyway. They would look even weaker if these losses happened.

Reactions: Lurker123

Latest posts