How desirable is living in California?

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Try living in LA for less. Even at $20/hr., it's very difficult for most. Market rates need to apply.
You live where you can afford to. There are areas near to me that I cannot afford to live based on the career that I chose. If you want to live in a certain place, you prepare for a career that will enable you to afford living there.

Fast food jobs are not career type jobs, they have historically been jobs mainly for high schoolers to earn money while they prepare for their careers. To use government edicts to force such jobs into being career type jobs is going to greatly reduce the number of jobs available. It may be difficult to live on $20 per hour, but it’s even more difficult when you are unemployed.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Next time you are at a fast food place note how many employees are high school age.

• Sad
Reactions: USCFB

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Next time you are at a fast food place note how many employees are high school age.
That is exactly the problem. Sometimes I feel like it is required to tell you something at least 20 times before you understand.

The combination of illegal immigration and a liberal agenda has turned working at McDonald's into a career for far too many people.

Now, instead of counting the teenagers, count how many workers are their period.
It is a lot less than it was 5yrs ago and it will continue to go down.

McDonald's has done numerous things to reduce staff.
- Self serve Kiosks
- Menu optimizations
- Automated food prep

The $20 minimum wage is going to mean even fewer jobs.

My teenage sons works at a Jersey Mike's. He is thrilled at the raise he will get starting Monday. He will work there for a bit more unless his college studies get to be too much.
And eventually he will graduate college and get a career job.
That is how it should work.

4thamp1

Aug 24, 2017
For $20 per hour, workers better expect to work a lot harder to keep that job. It should create competition because there will be fewer open positions. And, I imagine less tax revenue coming into the state.

Reactions: Pudly76

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
For $20 per hour, workers better expect to work a lot harder to keep that job. It should create competition because there will be fewer open positions. And, I imagine less tax revenue coming into the state.
According to the guy in this video on CNBC, 18 family owned Subways in the Redding area went out of business due to the effects of the minimum wage increase.

• Sad
Reactions: 4thamp1 and Pudly76

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Maybe so Bruddah, but Subway has closed down mucho stores (6,500 worldwide) since 2020. They have been losing market share for the last 10-15 years, mostly due to their competition's better deli sandwiches & Covid. I think raising their prices from $5-$6 into da $9 to $12 range hurt them big time. Many Subway stores were losing money, P & L in da Red; forced to close underperforming stores.

Even with their All Star, star struck commercials cast it's has not pan out. Subway's commercials and super stars have not brought back customers. In da last 15 years, we've stopped buying Subway sandwiches. Jersey Mike's even though costly, is our favorite store for deli sandwiches (taste da best, overall A+ quality). In fact, most of time we just make our own deli sandwiches, much cheaper and taste better...

Last edited:

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Maybe so Bruddah, but Subway has closed down mucho stores (6,500 worldwide) since 2020. They have been losing market share for the last 10-15 years, mostly due to their competition's better deli sandwiches & Covid. I thinking raising their prices from $5-$6 into da $9 to $12 range hurt them big time.

Even with with their All Star cast in commercials, Subway can not get back customers. In da last 15 years, I've stopped buying Subway sandwiches. Jersey Mike's is our favorite store for deli sandwiches. In fact, most of time we just make our own deli sandwiches, much cheaper and taste better...
Pretty much. Subway has been subpar for a minute now.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

I really do not follow politics much. Wasn't it just 5 to 6 years ago, Calif was +$100 billion in da Black or had in reserves? That's -$322 billion real loss. Wow, da state govenment has fiscal problems. What da hell happened? Embezzlement, someone stole money?

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I really do not follow politics much. Wasn't it just 5 to 6 years ago, Calif was +$100 billion in da Black or had in reserves? That's -$322 billion real loss. Wow, da state govenment has fiscal problems. What da hell happened? Embezzlement, someone stole money?
Remember when he was recalled and suddenly found money to refund to poor citizens just befor the election? Sure seemed convenient.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
He took office with a $100 billion surplus. Yesterday, I saw a $73 billion deficit reported in the news. I don’t know if that $222 billion deficit is accurate, but even at $73 billion, that’s some fiscal irresponsibility at best. This despite having some of the highest taxes in the nation.

Last edited:

4thamp1

Aug 24, 2017
He took office with a $100 billion surplus. Yesterday, I saw a $73 billion deficit reported in the news. I don’t know if that $222 billion deficit is accurate, but even at $73 billion, that’s some fiscal irresponsibility at best. This despite having done of the highest taxes in the nation.
I believe the collapse of state fiscal systems are deliberate to create a crisis where Big Government is the solution.
The Deep State is not limited to the ABC agencies.
This is all calculated. No one can possibly be this stupid or irresponsible.
A community college accounting student would see all the red flags.

Who knew Jerry Brown was a fiscal conservative?

Reactions: DaFireMedic

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
This guy owns a bunch of Burger Kings along with a few other franchises, and says he will likely have to close 8 of them that were on the edge of profitability before the new law.

• Sad

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
This guy owns a bunch of Burger Kings along with a few other franchises, and says he will likely have to close 8 of them that were on the edge of profitability before the new law.

The whole thing seems illegal, I am surprised no one has challenged in court. I can not see any reason why a worker at Taco Bell needs to make more than a worker at Walmart. The whole basis of government is things need to be fair and equal. Not pick and choose, similar to what Desantis tried with Disney.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
The whole thing seems illegal, I am surprised no one has challenged in court. I can not see any reason why a worker at Taco Bell needs to make more than a worker at Walmart. The whole basis of government is things need to be fair and equal. Not pick and choose, similar to what Desantis tried with Disney.
Tried to do to Disney?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Fast food work was never intended to be a living wage. There are limited options for advancement. It was always considered temporary work for high school and college students, part-time workers, and occasional retirees.

Newsom has made it clear why this move was made... "This is a big deal. ... Eighty percent of the workforce are people of color, two-thirds are women, the majority are breadwinners. And we have the opportunity to reward that contribution. Reward that sacrifice".

And it wasn't just the front-line worker. This law also mandates that management/exempt workers at these locations have to make a minimum of $83k per year to maintain their exempt status. Lol. An absolute joke.

As for In-n-Out, they not only raised prices but they have cut hours (in most cases, cut in half) for all employees. My son will now have to re-adjust his savings budget to accommodate less money. Democrats never think of or do not care about, the consequences of their ill-gotten policies.

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Fast food work was never intended to be a living wage. There are limited options for advancement. It was always considered temporary work for high school and college students, part-time workers, and occasional retirees.

Newsom has made it clear why this move was made... "This is a big deal. ... Eighty percent of the workforce are people of color, two-thirds are women, the majority are breadwinners. And we have the opportunity to reward that contribution. Reward that sacrifice".

And it wasn't just the front-line worker. This law also mandates that management/exempt workers at these locations have to make a minimum of $83k per year to maintain their exempt status. Lol. An absolute joke.

As for In-n-Out, they not only raised prices but they have cut hours (in most cases, cut in half) for all employees. My son will now have to re-adjust his savings budget to accommodate less money. Democrats never think of or do not care about, the consequences of their ill-gotten policies.
They are incapable of 2nd order thinking

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"The operators of the 99 Cents Only stores announced Thursday they will shut down all 371 of the locations throughout four states, with liquidation sales starting Friday.

The move will impact all company locations in California, Arizona, Nevada and Texas. The operators are based in Commerce, CA.

Friday, many customers in Santa Ana were getting last-minute items before the store there shut down for good.

"Inflation has been high," said Julie Ann Mckenzie, a shopper. "So that's why I shop here. And it is close to home."

Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn said she would introduce a motion during Tuesday's board meeting asking for a report on ways the county can provide support for displaced workers from the chain.

"I am worried about the thousands of 99 Cents Store workers across L.A. County who are going to lose their jobs."

• Sad

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"Before a graduating high school senior can even consider going to a four-year school in either the California State or University of California systems, he or she must take some specific classes.

Dubbed the “A-G requirements,” the courses represent more than what’s needed for a high school diploma but they’re a bare minimum for both of California’s public university systems. Think of them as keys to a golden door that students must pass through before they can be accepted or rejected by California’s best public universities.

Currently, the A-G list includes at least two years of history, four years of English, three years of math, two years of science, two years of a world language, a year of performing or visual arts, and one year of a college-prep (Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or a dual-credit) course. What’s more, a grade of “C” or higher is required for any of those classes to count.

But even in an era when federal data shows workers with a college degree earn at least $1 million more than a non-college degree worker over a typical lifetime, barely half the kids graduating from California high schools are qualified to apply to a four-year state school.

In the last academic year, 51.7% of high school seniors statewide graduated with a transcript that would allow them to apply to a Cal State or UC school, according to data released in January by the California Department of Education. In Orange County the qualification rate was slightly higher, 57%.

There’s also the prospect of getting into a four-year school after attending two years of community college, though that’s not always a smooth path to getting a bachelors degree. A 2021 study found that only 2.5% of community college students in California transferred to a Cal State or UC school after two years, and about a quarter (23%) made the jump after four years.

And even then — if a student passes all the courses required to apply to the respective university systems — there is a strong chance of rejection, though that varies depending on where you’re applying."

So about half the kids in CA don't even qualify to apply. Raise that minimum wage.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
"Before a graduating high school senior can even consider going to a four-year school in either the California State or University of California systems, he or she must take some specific classes.

Dubbed the “A-G requirements,” the courses represent more than what’s needed for a high school diploma but they’re a bare minimum for both of California’s public university systems. Think of them as keys to a golden door that students must pass through before they can be accepted or rejected by California’s best public universities.

Currently, the A-G list includes at least two years of history, four years of English, three years of math, two years of science, two years of a world language, a year of performing or visual arts, and one year of a college-prep (Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or a dual-credit) course. What’s more, a grade of “C” or higher is required for any of those classes to count.

But even in an era when federal data shows workers with a college degree earn at least $1 million more than a non-college degree worker over a typical lifetime, barely half the kids graduating from California high schools are qualified to apply to a four-year state school.

In the last academic year, 51.7% of high school seniors statewide graduated with a transcript that would allow them to apply to a Cal State or UC school, according to data released in January by the California Department of Education. In Orange County the qualification rate was slightly higher, 57%.

There’s also the prospect of getting into a four-year school after attending two years of community college, though that’s not always a smooth path to getting a bachelors degree. A 2021 study found that only 2.5% of community college students in California transferred to a Cal State or UC school after two years, and about a quarter (23%) made the jump after four years.

And even then — if a student passes all the courses required to apply to the respective university systems — there is a strong chance of rejection, though that varies depending on where you’re applying."

So about half the kids in CA don't even qualify to apply. Raise that minimum wage.
We’ll then they could become TikTok stars.. no edumacation necessary!!

• Angry
Reactions: DaFireMedic

4thamp1

Aug 24, 2017
Even the MSM headlines are a lie.
"Sanctuary Cities are Spending Billions on Migrants"

Should read:
"Sanctuary Cities' Legal Citizen Taxpayers are being Bilked out of Billions by Felons"

• Angry

Latest posts