I need help with my sermon tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I am going to assume this is a legitimate question. This is coming from someone with a somewhat church upbringing but a moralistic approach to religion rather than a worship based approach

Being a moral person who does the right thing for your loved ones and people you don’t know. This includes helping the homeless, people in need, caring about others as much as you care about yourself. Accept people for who they are instead of judging them (think lgbt/mental health) Leave the world better than you found it
All of this is correct but you have to believe through faith Jesus Christ is gods son and accept him Into your heart as your lord and savior.

You can do that and what you said in gour post without ever stepping foot in a church or “worship” setting.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
In his defense, it sounds like he's here looking for heathens.

spongebob squarepants bdsm GIF by Animation Domination High-Def
When you are raised in church and spend a large part of your life around other people raised in church, it is easy to become somewhat disconnected from people that have never been to church. Some Christians seem to believe that everyone has had some exposure to the Gospel and understand it which isn't true. I can't speak for Preacher's motivation but I think it will/would be eye opening for some to hear what non-church goers believe about how to get to heaven.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
How would you say one gets to heaven? I am especially interested in your response if you have an unchurched background. Thanks.
Depends on what you mean by heaven. If you mean some paradise after you die, then you don't get there. While you are here you can get close by "killing" your ego, accepting the impermanence of all things, stop striving and avoiding, and working every day to love yourself and others.

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

bell clanger

Aug 22, 2012
How would you say one gets to heaven? I am especially interested in your response if you have an unchurched background. Thanks.
Based on the answers that I see here, the first place to start would be to crack the bible open and make keeping it open and reading it for yourselves a priority.

I have not seen the correct response yet.

The way is straight and narrow. FEW be that find it.

Hint: The answers that I see on this board fit the belief of over 50% of the world's belief. That's not few, that's the majority.
The world is Deceived.

Our Messiah says that many will say in that day, I did this and that in your name and HE will say depart from ME. I never knew you, ye that practice Iniquity (HINT: Iniquity = LAWLESSNESS. Your daily practice does not include keeping the law).

Don't let anyone lie to you about there being one set of rules for Jews and another set for Gentiles. ONLY ONE FAMILY
Don't let anyone confuse you with the 2 laws as replacement requirements. THOSE TWO ARE THE FOUNDATION FOR EVERYTHING.

Hint 2: Our messiah is not European. That picture that you have hanging in your churches is the son of the Pope Alexander VI. He hired Michale Angelo to paint his son Cesare Borgia. That image was used to destroy a lot of people.

If you struggle to love people that don't look like you, I would advise working on that.

Hint 3: If you don't understand the old testament and the teachings of the disciples/ apostles, do not try to interpret Paul's writings. As Peter (I believe) said, Paul is intelligent but easily to be confused.

Hint 3: If you think that Paul's doctrine to the gentles lays out one thing, but what Messiah and literally everyone else says goes in a different direction, the obvious possibilities are: a. Paul is wrong b. Your understanding of what Pauls is saying is wrong.

Ans: I help you out on this one. If you believe that you just have to believe and all is well, you don't understand Pauls writings.
The demons in hell believe more than anyone on this board.

Hint 4: The letter J did not exist in the english alphabet 500 years ago. Our Messiah's name is NOT Jesus nor is the Father's name Jehovah.
Proverbs 30:4 = what is his name (Father) and what is His Son's name?
You can't call on the name to be saved, if you do not know the name to begin with.
If you believe that there was no harm intended when they changed the names, you may want to do some research on your source itself.

Hint 5: It was not a name translation. It was a name re-write.

Hint 6. You are saved by Grace through Faith.
a. Grace is not: God's unmerited favor.
b. Grace is not: God's riches at Christ's expense
c. Grace may be: The lil old lady that bakes the wonderful cookies down the street, but that has nothing to do with this subject.

I could go on and on, but I've probably done enough to get kicked off the board as is, so.

I am the son of a preacher. I was taught one way, then realized that I was heading in the totally wrong direction.

I would suspect that nearly 100% of the people on this board will hate this response.

I'm ok with that. That would put me in the the FEW category. Since FEW be that find it, at least I am not dead in the water right off the bat.

You must seek HIM. Good luck on your search.

Y'all have a blessed day!!!

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Based on the answers that I see here, the first place to start would be to crack the bible open and make keeping it open and reading it for yourselves a priority.

Hint: The answers that I see on this board fit the belief of over 50% of the world's belief. That's not few, that's the majority.
The world is Deceived.

Our Messiah says that many will say in that day, I did this and that in your name and HE will say depart from ME. I never knew you, ye that practice Iniquity (HINT: Iniquity = LAWLESSNESS. Your daily practice does not include keeping the law).

Don't let anyone lie to you about there being one set of rules for Jews and another set for Gentiles. ONLY ONE FAMILY
Don't let anyone confuse you with the 2 laws as replacement requirements. THOSE TWO ARE THE FOUNDATION FOR EVERYTHING.

Hint 2: Our messiah is not European. That picture that you have hanging in your churches is the son of the Pope Alexander VI. He hired Michale Angelo to paint his son Cesare Borgia. That image was used to destroy a lot of people.

If you struggle to love people that don't look like you, I would advise working on that.

Hint 3: If you don't understand the old testament and the teachings of the disciples/ apostles, do not try to interpret Paul's writings. As Peter (I believe) said, Paul is intelligent but easily to be confused.

Hint 3: If you think that Paul's doctrine to the gentles lays out one thing, but what Messiah and literally everyone else says goes in a different direction, the obvious possibilities are: a. Paul is wrong b. Your understanding of what Pauls is saying is wrong.

Ans: I help you out on this one. If you believe that you just have to believe and all is well, you don't understand Pauls writings.

Hint 4: The letter J did not exist in the english alphabet 500 years ago. Our Messiah's name is NOT Jesus nor is the Father's name Jehovah.
You can't call on the name to be saved, if you do not know the name to begin with.
If you believe that there was no harm intended when they changed the names, you may want to do some research on your source itself.

c. Grace may be: The lil old lady that bakes the wonderful cookies down the street, but that has nothing to do with this subject.

I could go on and on, but I've probably done enough to get kicked off the board as is, so.

I am the son of a preacher. I was taught one way, then realized that I was heading in the totally wrong direction.

I would suspect that nearly 100% of the people on this board will hate this response.

I'm ok with that. That would put me in the the FEW category. Since FEW be that find it, at least I am not dead in the water right off the bat.

^^^This^^^ guy may have just debunked rule number one in my church... Gonna have to talk to some folks about this.

Robin William's Top 10 Reasons to Be Episcopalian

10. No snake handling.
9. You can believe in dinosaurs.
8. Male and female God created them; male and female we ordain them.
7. You don’t have to check your brains at the door.
6. Pew aerobics.
5. Church year is color-coded.
4. Free wine on Sunday.
3. All of the Catholic pageantry – none of the guilt.
2. You don’t have to know how to swim to get baptized.

And the Number One reason to be an Episcopalian:

1. No matter what you believe, there’s bound to be at least one other Episcopalian who agrees with you.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005

The world is Deceived.

Or it could possibly be that the Bible was written over many generations by many different people with many different agendas and points of view and had many different things to say about the same, similar, and widely different topics that oftentimes disagree and contradict each other and stand in stark contrast to each other making it impossible to read it as speaking with one voice unless the reader negotiates away some parts and centralizes other parts to make it say what he or she wants it to say based on his or her own theology.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

The world is Deceived.

Reactions: GloryDawg
Sep 15, 2009
I am going to assume this is a legitimate question. This is coming from someone with a somewhat church upbringing but a moralistic approach to religion rather than a worship based approach

Being a moral person who does the right thing for your loved ones and people you don’t know. This includes helping the homeless, people in need, caring about others as much as you care about yourself. Accept people for who they are instead of judging them (think lgbt/mental health) Leave the world better than you found it
It's literally nothing one does that gets one there.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We're having our weekly summer Bourbon, BBQ, & Baptisms this Saturday at our place. Could be some snake handling behind the pool house but most just use the pool I think.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
the bible states he who endures to the end will be saved.
Where does it say that? Try to re-read the Bible and this time read it as the original audience read it. IT will change the way you view some things. Too many Christians today don't know what time it is because tradition has saturated the church so much that people will not even read their Bibles. They just trust what the man in the pulpit says and automatically accept that as truth. And those who do read it, read it like they would an email they just got and completely miss how the original audience would have taken it. The words "soon", "time is near", and "Time is at hand" take on a whole other meaning and might make you question some things.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I know I’m late to the party and as a Christian I still think there are more folks in heaven than others. No one can tell me a Lakota Sioux kid in the 1800s who never heard of Jesus doesn’t make it same as a kid growing up in Pakistan today.I know that’s not what the Bible says but I don’t think we take all of the Bible literally..hence I don’t play with snakes on Sunday. Now I may be surprised but at least I know I’ll get to find out

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I know I’m late to the party and as a Christian I still think there are more folks in heaven than others. No one can tell me a Lakota Sioux kid in the 1800s who never heard of Jesus doesn’t make it same as a kid growing up in Pakistan today.I know that’s not what the Bible says but I don’t think we take all of the Bible literally..hence I don’t play with snakes on Sunday. Now I may be surprised but at least I know I’ll get to find out
Kids have an age limit. Immunity expires like a Covid vaccine.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Where does it say that? Try to re-read the Bible and this time read it as the original audience read it. IT will change the way you view some things. Too many Christians today don't know what time it is because tradition has saturated the church so much that people will not even read their Bibles. They just trust what the man in the pulpit says and automatically accept that as truth. And those who do read it, read it like they would an email they just got and completely miss how the original audience would have taken it. The words "soon", "time is near", and "Time is at hand" take on a whole other meaning and might make you question some things.

From Matthew 10 (ESV)

Persecution Will Come​

16 “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. 17 Beware of men, for they will deliver you over to courts and flog you in their synagogues, 18 and you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them and the Gentiles. 19 When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. 20 For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. 21 Brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death, 22 and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

From Matthew 24 (ESV)

Signs of the End of the Age​

3 As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” 4 And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. 5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.

9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then many will fall away[a] and betray one another and hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

From Mark 13 (ESV)

9 “But be on your guard. For they will deliver you over to councils, and you will be beaten in synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them. 10 And the gospel must first be proclaimed to all nations. 11 And when they bring you to trial and deliver you over, do not be anxious beforehand what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. 12 And brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death. 13 And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
A few scriptures that aren't fun to think about, but have helped me retain an eternal mindset to fix my eyes on Jesus while here on this third rock from the sun.

From Matthew 7 (NIV) These are the words of Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount

The Narrow and Wide Gates​

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Also From Matthew 7 (NIV)

These are the words of Jesus from the Sermon on the Mount

True and False Disciples​

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Sep 15, 2009

From Matthew 10 (ESV)

Persecution Will Come​

16 “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. 17 Beware of men, for they will deliver you over to courts and flog you in their synagogues, 18 and you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them and the Gentiles. 19 When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. 20 For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. 21 Brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death, 22 and you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

From Matthew 24 (ESV)

Signs of the End of the Age​

3 As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” 4 And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. 5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.

9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then many will fall away[a] and betray one another and hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

From Mark 13 (ESV)

9 “But be on your guard. For they will deliver you over to councils, and you will be beaten in synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them. 10 And the gospel must first be proclaimed to all nations. 11 And when they bring you to trial and deliver you over, do not be anxious beforehand what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. 12 And brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death. 13 And you will be hated by all for my name's sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
Matthew 24...end of the AGE not World. And what does Matthew 24:34 say?

34 Assuredly, I say to you, THIS generation will by no means pass away till ALL THESE THINGS take place.

We find out in Matthew 24:3 who he is talking to.....so unless there are 2000 year old apostles walking around today, there is a problem

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Matthew 24...end of the AGE not World. And what does Matthew 24:34 say?

34 Assuredly, I say to you, THIS generation will by no means pass away till ALL THESE THINGS take place.

We find out in Matthew 24:3 who he is talking to.....so unless there are 2000 year old apostles walking around today, there is a problem
You just asked "where does it say that", so I copied and pasted where it said that.

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022
2 Tim 3:16 scripture is inspired and " profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness"

Examples where people became Christians via the grace of the cross (Eph 2:8):

Acts 2:36-42, 47 (Jews, some of which participated in the crucifixion)
Acts 8:4-13 (Simon the sorcerer)
Acts 8:26-40 (Ethiopian eunuch)
Acts 9:1-20, 22:3-16 (Saul)
Acts 10 & 11:14 (Cornelius and family)
Acts 16:13-15 (Lydia)
Acts 18:7-8 (Crispus and Corinthians)
Acts 19:1-5 (certain disciples)

remain faithful unto death and you will recieve a crown of life (Rev 2:10)

Reactions: Ghostman

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I’m haven’t read a single response to your question and I’m not going to. I don’t want to get in a fight. My daughter being born with a severe disability has shaken my faith to the core. Watching her struggle for her entire life makes it difficult to believe in a loving god. If god punished me, I get it. But not her. I try to be a good person. I try to love my wife and children with all my heart/. I try not to judge. I try to put others before myself. I don’t make my goal getting to heaven. Ultimately, it here is a god that is his call. I just try to make the most with what he has given me and make life better for everyone I come in contact with. M

macpappy

Aug 8, 2010
I think I will stick with Jesus on this one…John 3:5 is a good starter. Born again of water and spirit. Don’t care what religion you call yourself…it’s irrelevant. Born again. If you’re curious what it means, good. I’m not anyone’s pastor, but I know what made a change in my life.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’m haven’t read a single response to your question and I’m not going to. I don’t want to get in a fight. My daughter being born with a severe disability has shaken my faith to the core. Watching her struggle for her entire life makes it difficult to believe in a loving god. If god punished me, I get it. But not her. I try to be a good person. I try to love my wife and children with all my heart/. I try not to judge. I try to put others before myself. I don’t make my goal getting to heaven. Ultimately, it here is a god that is his call. I just try to make the most with what he has given me and make life better for everyone I come in contact with. M

Well said.

Being on the spectrum & having horrible experiences with ignorant churchgoers who’ve driven me away, I consider myself unwelcome in churches.

I also think that many churches and churchgoers are not friendly towards people on the spectrum as well as other folks who are special needs.

Consequently, I rarely think about the concept of heaven.

For additional background, please refer to my comments in this thread:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
We're nothing but an electron in a vastness beyond the human brain's comprehension yet humanists think they got things all figgered out. Loving and recognizing a Higher Being and Loving your neighbor no matter how different than you is Paramount. Our world was created with love in mind and God's Word of Love is The Truth. Jesus is The Answer.

topbulldawg

Jan 27, 2008
This thread kind of proves my point. There are so many different beliefs that are backed by strong opinions. I know I don’t know the right answer but I also know that being a good person that has strong morals and loves my neighbor as myself is something I can control

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Or it could possibly be that the Bible was written over many generations by many different people with many different agendas and points of view and had many different things to say about the same, similar, and widely different topics that oftentimes disagree and contradict each other and stand in stark contrast to each other making it impossible to read it as speaking with one voice unless the reader negotiates away some parts and centralizes other parts to make it say what he or she wants it to say based on his or her own theology.
If this is what you truly believe to debunk the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible, you should do research on the subject. I think you’d be surprised. Maybe not pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
ALL This is why I don't go to Church. When humans got involved, it got all screwed up. Why would you argue about this question? None of you has first hand knowledge.
Going to Church doesn't make you a Christian; Just means you go to Church. What I read in The Bible is the best "First Hand Knowledge" ever written. Archeology hasn't been kind to atheists lately.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
this is what we Mormons believe if you interested. Several videos.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
ALL This is why I don't go to Church. When humans got involved, it got all screwed up. Why would you argue about this question? None of you has first hand knowledge.
I tend to agree that most people argue about stuff they don't know about. I also agree in this instance. I don't KNOW.

But my comments weren't definitive. Just what I believe and my faith.

Just an FYI.

ETA: changed were to weren't

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
There are far more interesting fairy tales I’d rather read than the Bible.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’d be interested in how you define conservative and your historical proof you use to be one.
what does being conservative have to do with heaven? you still passing out slave "bibles"? conserving slavery was a big conservative push for hundreds of years. I just am objective enough these days to realize not everything needs conserving, just because that is the way that it is/has been.

ETA: I was legit wondering what preacher described as heaven. he must have been pre-determined not to answer.***

• Haha
Reactions: WrightGuy821

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m legit wo
what does being conservative have to do with heaven? you still passing out slave "bibles"? conserving slavery was a big conservative push for hundreds of years. I just am objective enough these days to realize not everything needs conserving, just because that is the way that it is/has been.

ETA: I was legit wondering what preacher described as heaven. he must have been pre-determined not to answer.***
I’m legit wondering what proof you have that you ever were “conservative”.

Status
Not open for further replies.