I need help with my sermon tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I’m legit wo

I’m legit wondering what proof you have that you ever were “conservative”.
He never said anything about his political affiliations or beliefs. Being "conservative" or "liberal" doesn't keep you from going to heaven. The only thing that gets you into heaven is having a relationship with God.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
To truly answer this for yourself, picture yourself in a hospital bed dying of cancer or whatever. You know you've got less than a week left. What do you believe then? Believe me, that day is coming.

Everyone semi-kinda thinks they are bullet proof from the instant deaths (car wreck, accidents, heart attacks, murder, etc.) so they rationalize not thinking about death, especially in the US, while they are younger than say, 40. After that, it does begin to enter your mind.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He never said anything about his political affiliations or beliefs. Being "conservative" or "liberal" doesn't keep you from going to heaven. The only thing that gets you into heaven is having a relationship with God.
Well, that sounds way too Biblical for this forum, let's continue the politicized views, please.***

Reactions: WrightGuy821
Sep 15, 2009
Please explain
If it was left up to humans, noone would ever make it to heaven. Unless the Holy Spirit draws someone, they won't be saved. Jesus compared someone born of the Spirit to the wind in John 3.

8 The wind[e] blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Reactions: Ghostman
May 23, 2022
How would you say one gets to heaven? I am especially interested in your response if you have an unchurched background. Thanks.
i'm so glad i let all this go 25 years or so ago. after years of studying, useless prayers, and consultations, I'm convinced that christianity is nothing more than the bastard offshoot of Judaism, stolen by a bunch of greeks and italians with an obsession with death and pedophilia, who appropriated most of the tenets of judaism, invented its own messiah, and then bullied its way on pain of torture or death across continents for 2000 years. It's passed time for this cult to go the way of the dinosaur.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m legit wo

I’m legit wondering what proof you have that you ever were “conservative”.
Can you advise on why, in a thread about heaven, that you are worshipping conservatism?

This could be a big mirror moment for you to consider how much your worship politics vs God. Only you will know how much time you spend consuming political idolatry vs Biblical wisdom. I have no idea. Heck, I might've caused you to stop a Bible study just to answer this. If so, I apologize.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
If this is what you truly believe to debunk the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible, you should do research on the subject. I think you’d be surprised. Maybe not pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless.
It's what I know about the compilation of the Bible. Has nothing to do with what I believe. Belief isn't something I have a choice about. Try believing 2+2=5. I don't think I said anything about authenticity. That's somewhat of a relative term anyway. Is it a book written by religious people and used by a religion as it's holy scripture? Yes. So I guess it's authentic in that sense. Accurate? One doesn't even have to go outside the Bible itself to see that it's not accurate as it has its own internal inconsistencies of accuracy. This thread makes the same point I make about the Bible. 15 people over a couple of days reading the same book saying it means 15 different things. Now imagine a compilation of writings on a general topic (the first 3/4 of it not even on the same topic as the last 1/4) written over about a thousand years by about 75 different people then translated, mistranslated, edited, changed, and interpreted for another couple of thousand years and here we are.

Reactions: FQDawg

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Well said.

Being on the spectrum & having horrible experiences with ignorant churchgoers who’ve driven me away, I consider myself unwelcome in churches.

I also think that many churches and churchgoers are not friendly towards people on the spectrum as well as other folks who are special needs.

Consequently, I rarely think about the concept of heaven.

For additional background, please refer to my comments in this thread:

Being a much less than perfect follower of Jesus, it pains me to read of your experience in churches. We have a number of families at our church with children on the spectrum and they are welcomed and loved, however I do notice the parents are bothered when they think their children are causing a disturbance. It is noticeable, but it is not something that the people of our church get worked up over. We just try to do our best to love them like Jesus does. I'm sure we make mistakes with that or say something wrong from time to time (we are, after all, sinful hypocrites in recovery who unfortunately tend to backslide from time to time), but they know that they are genuinely loved and wanted to be there. These families have commented to me on numerous occasions how welcome we make them feel compared to other churches they have attended.

It does take a little more work and planning to help meet the needs of people with special needs and on the spectrum, but that is what the church of Jesus Christ should be all about.

I just hope people know that the followers of Christ, even the very best, are not completely representative of Jesus.

Maroon Eagle, may God bless you and others like you who feel that the church has let you down or been hurtful to you.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I am saved through the blood of Jesus Christ

Based on the answers that I see here, the first place to start would be to crack the bible open and make keeping it open and reading it for yourselves a priority.

I have not seen the correct response yet.

The way is straight and narrow. FEW be that find it.

Hint: The answers that I see on this board fit the belief of over 50% of the world's belief. That's not few, that's the majority.
The world is Deceived.

Our Messiah says that many will say in that day, I did this and that in your name and HE will say depart from ME. I never knew you, ye that practice Iniquity (HINT: Iniquity = LAWLESSNESS. Your daily practice does not include keeping the law).

Don't let anyone lie to you about there being one set of rules for Jews and another set for Gentiles. ONLY ONE FAMILY
Don't let anyone confuse you with the 2 laws as replacement requirements. THOSE TWO ARE THE FOUNDATION FOR EVERYTHING.

Hint 2: Our messiah is not European. That picture that you have hanging in your churches is the son of the Pope Alexander VI. He hired Michale Angelo to paint his son Cesare Borgia. That image was used to destroy a lot of people.

If you struggle to love people that don't look like you, I would advise working on that.

Hint 3: If you don't understand the old testament and the teachings of the disciples/ apostles, do not try to interpret Paul's writings. As Peter (I believe) said, Paul is intelligent but easily to be confused.

Hint 3: If you think that Paul's doctrine to the gentles lays out one thing, but what Messiah and literally everyone else says goes in a different direction, the obvious possibilities are: a. Paul is wrong b. Your understanding of what Pauls is saying is wrong.

Ans: I help you out on this one. If you believe that you just have to believe and all is well, you don't understand Pauls writings.
The demons in hell believe more than anyone on this board.

Hint 4: The letter J did not exist in the english alphabet 500 years ago. Our Messiah's name is NOT Jesus nor is the Father's name Jehovah.
Proverbs 30:4 = what is his name (Father) and what is His Son's name?
You can't call on the name to be saved, if you do not know the name to begin with.
If you believe that there was no harm intended when they changed the names, you may want to do some research on your source itself.

Hint 5: It was not a name translation. It was a name re-write.

Hint 6. You are saved by Grace through Faith.
a. Grace is not: God's unmerited favor.
b. Grace is not: God's riches at Christ's expense
c. Grace may be: The lil old lady that bakes the wonderful cookies down the street, but that has nothing to do with this subject.

I could go on and on, but I've probably done enough to get kicked off the board as is, so.

I am the son of a preacher. I was taught one way, then realized that I was heading in the totally wrong direction.

I would suspect that nearly 100% of the people on this board will hate this response.

I'm ok with that. That would put me in the the FEW category. Since FEW be that find it, at least I am not dead in the water right off the bat.

You must seek HIM. Good luck on your search.

Y'all have a blessed day!!!
No offense man, but the way someone looks, the name used for the messiah, really doesn't matter in the grand scheme.

I seriously do not believe, nor can anyone ever make me believe that God would forsake billions of people just because they were born in areas of the planet that does not believe in some dude named Jesus. What sense does that make? God knows all, right? So are you telling me, everyone that was alive at the moment Jesus was crucified, including millions of native americans, went to hell? Not to mention the millions of people that lived more than 200 miles away. Word of Christianity didn't make it to the new world until 1492 or there about. No way in God's plan does that make sense at all. And if that is the way it is, well that is BS.

As I get older the more and more I hate the idea of heaven and hell or Messiah's and God. It is all make believe, to teach morals and ethics. Because without stories that are easy to hand down verbally, society in 1st century would have been crazier than it actually was.

So how do you get to heaven, if it exists...... Look after your fellow man, try to have empathy for those less fortunate, help when you see a need.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
If this is what you truly believe to debunk the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible, you should do research on the subject. I think you’d be surprised. Maybe not pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless.
The bible is a collection of made up stories, written down hundreds of years after the fact. Hell we can't even get people to agree what started the civil war in this country, and we had newspapers documenting it daily over a period of 40 years leading up to it.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
If it was left up to humans, noone would ever make it to heaven. Unless the Holy Spirit draws someone, they won't be saved. Jesus compared someone born of the Spirit to the wind in John 3.

8 The wind[e] blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
Don't quote the Bible, when making an argument for the Bible. Please use another example.

topbulldawg

Jan 27, 2008

So if the Holy Spirit doesn’t choose me, I am going to hell? If I am not chosen, why I would I worship?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Its an inside joke. Probably isn't funny.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Can you advise on why, in a thread about heaven, that you are worshipping conservatism?

This could be a big mirror moment for you to consider how much your worship politics vs God. Only you will know how much time you spend consuming political idolatry vs Biblical wisdom. I have no idea. Heck, I might've caused you to stop a Bible study just to answer this. If so, I apologize.
I'm just curious as to why you are the way you are.

Questions i'll ask God one day.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Being a much less than perfect follower of Jesus, it pains me to read of your experience in churches. We have a number of families at our church with children on the spectrum and they are welcomed and loved, however I do notice the parents are bothered when they think their children are causing a disturbance.
Obviously I can’t and won’t even begin to answer on behalf of the families in question in your church. With that stated…

My experiences date back from the times before ASD became something much more commonly diagnosed and I was officially diagnosed as an adult less than 10 years ago.

Many people consider me to be mildly on the spectrum but that’s not really true.

People on it as well as their family members know there’s no such thing as mild spectrum: folks like me react to different things differently.

I’ve mentioned before that I don’t like being in really loud places where people are talking over others since I get sensory overload headaches— people talking over others in noise. Loud music on the other hand is melodic.

Two more of my common bugaboos are inferred and indirect communication: people who talk in that manner slip things by me all the time or give me headaches when they backtrack all over the place.

I prefer people to be direct. But they want to be nice and indirect — which to me isn’t nice at all.

I see many of my childhood friends — a lot of whom think of themselves as Moral Majority style Christians — post things on social media about nitpicky people and making fun on them and I’m sickened when they do that because one of the many tendencies of folks on the spectrum is a much higher likelihood of nitpickiness.

Instead of praying for me, pray for your fellow churchgoers so that they learn to accept others and not drive them away.

Reactions: Ghostman
Sep 15, 2009
So if the Holy Spirit doesn’t choose me, I am going to hell? If I am not chosen, why I would I worship?
I didn't say anything about hell. And you worship because of what Christ did to give you hope of eternal salvation.. If what Christ did means nothing to you then you obviously are not saved and there is no need to worship

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
No offense man, but the way someone looks, the name used for the messiah, really doesn't matter in the grand scheme.

I seriously do not believe, nor can anyone ever make me believe that God would forsake billions of people just because they were born in areas of the planet that does not believe in some dude named Jesus. What sense does that make? God knows all, right? So are you telling me, everyone that was alive at the moment Jesus was crucified, including millions of native americans, went to hell? Not to mention the millions of people that lived more than 200 miles away. Word of Christianity didn't make it to the new world until 1492 or there about. No way in God's plan does that make sense at all. And if that is the way it is, well that is BS.

As I get older the more and more I hate the idea of heaven and hell or Messiah's and God. It is all make believe, to teach morals and ethics. Because without stories that are easy to hand down verbally, society in 1st century would have been crazier than it actually was.

So how do you get to heaven, if it exists...... Look after your fellow man, try to have empathy for those less fortunate, help when you see a need.
It seems to me that you think God is unfair and you don’t understand his ways, and therefore you decided it was not real. That is certainly your choice but I’m curious if you feel that way about everything? If you don’t understand something fully or feel something is not fair, do you just dismiss it?

Truth is… no matter if you are a believer or a non believer, no one can prove their position. We are all taking a leap of faith. Some, including myself, choose to have faith that God is real. Some, like you, choose to have faith God is not real. And again that is fine, it just seems odd to me that you pick life not being fair as what seems to be your main reason for not believing. As kids, we are all taught from a young age that life is not fair.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I sincerely pray that all of you SPSers get to experience the afterlife according to the spiritual/religious beliefs you may hold to.

Personally, I'd be just as tickled resting in the bosom of Abraham as I would being attended by 72 virgins or eating 72 raisins.

Perhaps eternally connected souls exists. But even if they do, your particular you-ness: memories, consciousness, and your belief system - that all dies with your brain. It's not housed in a cloud somewhere.

So don't count on being able to say "I told you so" or "WTF!" if you should wake up in the great beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.