I Played Football for State from '09 - '13. Ask Me Anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
What if anything were y'all told about the headset situation at the 2011 Auburn game? Was Auburn listening in?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Who was your favorite assistant coach? Which did you think was the most genuine on and off the field?

MSUDawgFan86

Aug 14, 2017
Mullen was never really a fan of me. Technically I was a Croom recruit but counted towards Mullen's '09 class (remember I greyshirted). Mullen tried to cut me before I even started. In my first ever one-on-one meeting with him he tells me "You better good because I don't want you here. You're taking the slot of a potential 5 star I could sign". Nothing like a great first impression.

I've had a few previous employees at State tell me he tried to get me to quit multiple times early on. His plan was to let me play in 2011 then sign someone to take my spot. I ended up having a good year in 2011. He signed Bell (who is a good friend of mine). I ended up having an even better year in 2012. So I guess he saw the best time to do this was my senior year. In camp prior to the 2013 season, he starts putting Bell in with the 1's on punt team. I ask Mullen after practice about it and he says "The best player will play. You know that. Bell has better numbers than you in practice". So I go and request these numbers and they have Bell beating me by one yard. Each week they'd grade our punts and I'd usually lose by a half a yard or one yard. Not sure the validity of these numbers but that was the rationale behind it. I knew at that point I was up against a battle I'd never win. It was tough on me but even tougher on my parents.

Smh good grief what a douche. A potential 5 Star? Hahahaha he’s in denial about his own recruiting ability. You were a better, more consistent punter than Devon Bell during your time here. I’ll argue anyone who says otherwise whether you were on here or not. I know y’all are friends and don’t want to get into the you vs him talk but that had to be said. Thanks for confirming he was the giant douche I thought he was.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Who was your favorite assistant coach? Which did you think was the most genuine on and off the field?

Hud is a great guy. Loved his passion. Was excited when I saw that he was coming back.
Loved Manny.
Coach Hughes was a solid solid dude as well.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
What, if anything, did the team know about the Cam Newton situation?

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Looking back on it, I'd say so. What stuck out to me was this look that Mullen had in the 2012 Egg Bowl. We were down but had a chance to come back. He'd totally checked out. I'll never forget that. So that could've easily been him already thinking about where he wants to go next.

What a prick. It was a pretty popular speculation amongst fans that Mullen had checked out long before he left. There's no telling where we could've gone had Mullen put his ego aside and actually tried (for instance, at the end of the '14 season). I just wonder if he was burned out or if he thought he was just "too good" for Starkville.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Yankee Hot Megan: is she genuine? and, if so, why is she with that douche nozzle?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Were you recruited by Ole Miss? If so, any details you can share?
They recruited me the hardest 98% of the way through. I grew up a State fan and it was hard. For a while I thought I'd end up there. State didn't come on until late in the summer going into my senior year of high school.

Orgeron was an absolute character. They were all fantastic recruiters. In fact, I had a few conversations with Freeze early on because at that time he was their main recruiting guy for football. I can't remember if he was an actual coach or not yet. Ironic really.

Arthur2478

Oct 17, 2010
What kind of work do you do now and does your employer know you've spent the bulk of today on SPS?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
What kind of work do you do now and does your employer know you've spent the bulk of today on SPS?
I'm a business analyst at a financial institution. I took the afternoon off because I had to meet some contractors at our house to have some work done. So no worries.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We all had to sing "Don't Fear the Reaper" in unison led by Tom Cruise.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Best game day atmosphere to play in front of besides at home?
Hmm tough one. I think Texas A&M wins it though. All of their fans are nice and very into the game.

Although when it was almost game time at LSU and they played "Callin Baton Rouge" by Garth Brooks, I asked myself "What have I gotten myself into".

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Did you know about Croom punting from Georgia's own 35 with 5 minutes left in the game down 4 when you decided to play for State and if so can you provide any extra stories about it?

Sutterkane

Jan 23, 2007
How many guys from the teams you were on do you still keep in touch with and who if you're comfortable sharing that? Grad assistants? Do you still talk to some of the coaches occasionally?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Did you know about Croom punting from Georgia's own 35 with 5 minutes left in the game down 4 when you decided to play for State and if so can you provide any extra stories about it?
I remember watching it. I didn't really get any spiel about it though.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
This post infuriates me. That guy is a damn fool. Thanks for this thread, and for putting in the Maron and Whit. Kudos to you.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
How many guys from the teams you were on do you still keep in touch with and who if you're comfortable sharing that? Grad assistants? Do you still talk to some of the coaches occasionally?
I see my snapper all the time. He's my brother in law. Yes I married his sister.
I keep up with Bell and Sobiesk pretty regularly as well. I'll occasionally text Feld since he's the strength coach at Oregon now. DePasquale and I text every now and then too. The only coaches I keep up with are some of the strength coaches. Those guys are awesome.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Can you confirm or deny that you did any of these things (​that I made up) during the Troy game in '13 when you literally didn't have to punt once?
I lost in the finals at the national chess convention that day.
It was awkward interviewing for a job with my jersey on but they totally understood my situation.
Blue you're my boy.
Got choked up watching Marley and Me. I must admit.
I did take down Eminem in my underground rap battle.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I've heard it said more than once that players don't get into "rivalries" as much as fans do. What's your take on that? Does being an in-state player vs an out-of-state player make a difference?

EngDawg

Mar 29, 2016
Did you read SPS or any other online MSU media while you were a player? While you were a recruit?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I've heard it said more than once that players don't get into "rivalries" as much as fans do. What's your take on that? Does being an in-state player vs an out-of-state player make a difference?
I was somewhere in the middle because I grew up going to State games and understood the rivalry. I think in-state makes difference. I'd say overall though we didn't get into as much as fans did. Now that I'm a fan again, it's a bigger deal to me.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
This thread is the best thing I've read on either board in weeks. Thank you, Swede.#hailstate

Status
Not open for further replies.