Johnny Long has issues

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
I could be wrong but I think its flipping it in front of the other teams dugout rather than while still in box or flipping it back toward our dugout. You’re right he didn’t flip it toward the OM dugout and I don’t know why the announcers kept insinuating that.
Correct. He didn’t flip it at their dugout. He carried the bat halfway down the first base line and flipped it high up more towards the infield / our dugout and did not look at their dugout at all.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
250 hitter. Heard on the broadcast he hasn’t thrown a runner out all year.

the bad far outweighs the good. Should be benched, and benched again every time he steps on the field and acts that way.

the bat flip went towards the ole miss dugout. It wasnt intentional, but when you carry it down the line then flip it in the air, it’s going to happen, add to it the stomp on the plate and stare. Shoulda been ejected and needs to be addressed my lemonis.

very bush league.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Why did he come back out in the bottom? Thought he got ejected. What did I miss?

This was probably about the time I read a FB post that said “the red-claid leprechaun throwing out F bombs on live tv was the best part of the game”.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
They were ruled wild pitches
Could care less what they are ruled. When you can’t hit your weight, you better be dang good back there.

considering he hasn’t thrown anyone out all season, the ability to at least keep balls in front of you should be a minimum requirement. He let a few thru last night a good high school catcher wouldn’t have

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Lemonis has made you boys soft too.
So you admit it. Soft team and they one guy with dog in him can’t control it because of the soft coach and culture. Sounds right to me.

Ain’t got nothing to do with the fans. We’ve been showing up.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Could care less what they are ruled. When you can’t hit your weight, you better be dang good back there.

considering he hasn’t thrown anyone out all season, the ability to at least keep balls in front of you should be a minimum requirement. He let a few thru last night a good high school catcher wouldn’t have
He hit a HR that would've won the game and you accused him of passed balls but carry on candy. Lemonis should've recruited better if you think Long sucks.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
That would be a dumb rule. How would you ever flip it in front of the 3rd base dugout? You'd have to carry it all the way around the bases to do that.
I don’t know what the rule is and didn’t even know there was a rule about where and when you could flip a bat… but I think we can all agree that long was trying to piss off ole miss with where and how he flipped the bat and I would imagine that is the spirit of the rule, I’m guessing. You want to slip a bat then flip it toward your own dugout not halfway down the first base line. But with that said, I think long would have done what he did even if state was in the first base dugout.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He hit a HR that would've won the game and you accused him of passed balls but carry on candy. Lemonis should've recruited better if you think Long sucks.
Agree on recruit better. Hard to bring in a starter when you’ve got highfill sitting there ready to go. Losing him is a big loss. Think we need to give spolitta a long look. At this point can’t be any worse.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
That a good catcher would block up
You realize, it's called a wild pitch for a reason right? Now you guys don't even know the rules I guess. You just are on your mission to blame anyone but the real problem.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Agree on recruit better. Hard to bring in a starter when you’ve got highfill sitting there ready to go. Losing him is a big loss. Think we need to give spolitta a long look. At this point can’t be any worse.
Lemonis ran this thing in a ditch. I've tried to be patient this season but it's the same stuff over and over. Our portal guys were Long, Kohler, Powell. Certainly nothing to talk about. Stephen has been the best portal guy. Our lineup is missing 3-4 good players, our pen is bad, and we still don't have a third starter. Lots of guys have disappeared from this team.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Lemonis ran this thing in a ditch. I've tried to be patient this season but it's the same stuff over and over. Our portal guys were Long, Kohler, Powell. Certainly nothing to talk about. Stephen has been the best portal guy. Our lineup is missing 3-4 good players, our pen is bad, and we still don't have a third starter. Lots of guys have disappeared from this team.
I’ve said all year we are lacking talent. Losing highfill is a big loss.

No left fielder, portal 3b sucks, freshman shortstop can’t keep his pants zipped up.

the talent on the field is for sure an issue, but allowing players to act like long is an issue too. Program is better than that. We’ve had guys play with passion and fire. Long has crossed that last weekend and instead of learning from it doubled down yesterday. No room for that in the program. He should be disciplined.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I for one don't want to see Highfill back. I can't think of a single homoerotic word or phrase that rhymes with Highfill that would make me want to by a shirt, hat, bobblehead, sneakers, flag, commemorative coin, mug, keychain, and Bible with his name on it to show how much I love passion and emotion.

We're a better team than we were the last two years. That likely puts us somewhere near the middle of the pack in the SEC. I don't think we want to have the best college baseball stadium in the country for an average to slightly above average SEC team from now on.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
You realize, it's called a wild pitch for a reason right? Now you guys don't even know the rules I guess. You just are on your mission to blame anyone but the real problem.
And it's not called a wild pitch if he blocks it up

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Yes only because it hit the ground in front of the catcher - it’s not like the balls were east and west of his center mass / he was just late on getting his glove down

Reactions: RopeDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think it was a 3 part issue. The toting the bat and throw was the first part, the plate stomp was the second, the look into OM dugout was strike 3 so to speak.
He's lucky he didn't get tossed again last night. Or, considering how the bottom of the inning went, maybe unlucky.

Reactions: HuntDawg

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Fire and emotion is great. If it’s controlled.

two weekends in a row. 2 very bush league actions.

sorry its bush league, and our program is better than that. I’m all for emotion and fire and passion, what he did last night wasn’t that. The stomping on home plate and staring into the dugout wasn’t passion, it was bush league. Sad we have people on here defending it.
yea he had a vol vibe which we have said we all hate

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
All the talk about a lack of passion on this team is misplaced. It's a talent issue. This team has been in most SEC games and hasn't quit when they were down big in several of them. I expect them to get over last night's tough loss and win today.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
If Jake Long doing Jake Long things meant winning games then you might have a point. But Jake Long doing Jake Long things hasn’t rocketed us to wins these past two Saturdays.

It’s like the Wood Chuck not Chucking Wood.
Well, he did hit a homer to put us up. It isn‘t his fault that our pitching was pisspoor last night.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Recruiting is just tougher now. LSU had one lights out pitcher last year and several good pitchers along with Tommy Tanks. They were a really good team but they got hot, especially those pitchers, in the CWS. Even LSU couldn't simply reload after a Natty and dominate the SEC. There just aren't enough dominant pitchers for all the SEC teams that now want to win. (And the ACC gets a lot of talent too). You better nail it in recruiting and in the portal and not have injuries to key players.

Reactions: Maroon13

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Scotty Dubrule was huge for that Natty team and Hancock was solid at the plate all season long. We're missing guys like that in the infield and starting lineup. It wasn't just the Rowdy/Tanner/Bednar/Sims show although we wouldn't have sniffed the CWS without those 4 guys.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So the dude over Re-acts v UGA. Creates a huge controversy. Gets himself suspended. Then carries on like this very next series?

Im glad he didn't get ejected. But maybe he needed to be ejected last night to teach him a lesson. Because it's obvious he didn't learn a thing from the UGA ejection.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So the dude over Re-acts v UGA. Creates a huge controversy. Gets himself suspended. Then carries on like this very next series?

Im glad he didn't get ejected. But maybe he needed to be ejected last night to teach him a lesson. Because it's obvious he didn't learn a thing from the UGA ejection.
Couldn’t agree more. Lemonis can’t allow this type of behavior. And the excuse of passion, fired up, playing with an edge, is all BS.

Long learned nothing from last weekend. Should be Benched unless we allow all our players to start acting this way. And as another poster pointed it… the team certainly isn’t rallying around him. So they could be tired of the gimmick as well.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Have you seen him at the plate? He was completely overpowered by mediocre pitching last night. Needed to be a redshirt this year, at best.
Won’t argue that. Guess I was trying to say if he’s good enough to be in the lineup at the DH spot. Why not let him catch, bench the 200 hitting long, and open up the DH spot for a better hitter

if we are finding ways to get him in the order. Let’s do it at catcher and not pull a Hancock deal and put people in bad situations to let the teachers pet play

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Oh No Wtf GIF by LilLetsOfficial

This thread

Reactions: Darryl Steight

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

Would have had a better defensive catcher in at that point last night

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
How many base stealers has Long thrown out? Do we have a better replacement? I don’t know, just asking.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Logan Tanner was a soph catcher on the Natty team. The talent on that team was on another level. And we were a 3rd seed in the SEC tournament.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
This thread is the biggest load of horse shat ever...the worse thing ever was merging with that other board because some of you old 17ers complain about everything...Long Dong is a dawg and put us in a position to win and yall complain?!? Get 17'd
Easy some of us olds have no issue with flipping the bat back over our shoulder back towards the plate after hitting a hr in a tied game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl Steight

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
How many base stealers has Long thrown out? Do we have a better replacement? I don’t know, just asking.
0 all season

Hard to believe his production at the plate is stronger than other aspects of his game but he actually hits better than he throws.

heart and soul guy, team leader, calls players only meetings…. Can’t bench him, he can act like he wants

Reactions: patdog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
He’s uncontrolled. It’s another symptom of Lemonis’ failure. Not a big deal by itself, but a sum of all the parts equals yet another loss in a game we clearly had won. There’s been about 5-6 of these now.

Last night was the last straw for me. Just colossal ineptness on so many levels. The pitching, the errors, everything.
Currently 0-2 in “Johnny Long Tough Guy Kind of Attitude This Program Needs” games