NCAA Revenue Sharing Model Taking Shape

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Transfer Liberty still a thing just sux.
Yea, that doesn't make a lot of sense with revenue sharing. If they're going to be paid, they should be able to enter into multiyear agreements. Could still leave the option to transfer with pentalties; maybe the acquiring school has to pay NIL back or something. Let G5 take penalty free, so if it's really a toxic situation, players can drop to G5.

Reactions: 8dog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Ole Miss will figure a way around it
That’s the thing. On the surface this doesn’t change anything. We will still have NIL Collectives. Now maybe schools are less likely to encourage donations to the collective bc they need to make up the shortfall. All this does is try to stem lawsuits.

Maybe the revenue share includes the player giving the school his or her NIL rights. That would actually change something.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
All this does is try to stem lawsuits
Bingo! Just keeps getting worse and worse, it’s amazing that so many are trying so hard to ruin this whole deal. Well, we know why, because they are profiting.

This will certainly hurt the non-revenue sports in some way.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Putting aside my distaste for this subject in general, I guess the best case for State would be:
1. The same cap value for all P5.
2. No outside NIL
3. Some formula that allows variation between sports (i.e., we're not required to give a track and field athlete equal money to a football player)
4. Some sort of limitation on transfers

The worst case would be:
1. No cap (or a percentage-of-budget-based cap)
2. No limits on outside NIL
3. Mandatory equal payments to all athletes
4. No limits on transfers

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I've thought all along that the people behind this stuff have the real motive of destroying college sports. Otherwise, it just doesn't make much sense.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Putting aside my distaste for this subject in general, I guess the best case for State would be:
2. No outside NIL
3. Some formula that allows variation between sports (i.e., we're not required to give a track and field athlete equal money to a football player)

The worst case would be:
#4 is the most inportant bc unlimited transfers drive up the NIL cost. But more importantly we have had our success signing the overlooked guys Now we sign them and show everyone they are good and they can leave.

I don’t ever see a time with no outside NIL. The NFL doesn’t even have that.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I'd have a real hard time stomaching giving non-academic scholarships to professional athletes. Make them pay their tuition as a cost of doing business with the school. Hell at this point why are they going to school?

Reactions: Papapat.sixpack

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
2. No outside NIL

The worst case would be:
My two sats:
  1. There would be a cap, which would bring back the bag men.
  2. No limit on NIL. I think the difference will be it will be actual NIL, not pay-for-play.
  3. The bulk of the revenue sharing will be for revenue-generating sports. If non-revenue sports are included, it will be just enough to keep them from fighting it.
  4. No limit on transfers.

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
Yea, that doesn't make a lot of sense with revenue sharing. If they're going to be paid, they should be able to enter into multiyear agreements. Could still leave the option to transfer with pentalties; maybe the acquiring school has to pay NIL back or something. Let G5 take penalty free, so if it's really a toxic situation, players can drop to G5.
Once the players create a union, that can be negotiated. Until then, it's illegal

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
It helps no one, except players, for players to get $20 mil & we still have collectives.

AD will have a $20 shortfall, fans will be asked to contribute to NIL & makeup the $20 mil shortfall.

Giving players TV money without the players giving anything back, is a no go.

IMO, players shouldn't get a single cent of TV money until they create a union & commit to creating a negotiated CBA with the powers that be in college sports.

Reactions: Maroon13

patdog

May 28, 2007
This. The players can’t get TV money without giving something back. Portal, contracts, something has to be in exchange for TV money.
I bet they can. It's a 17ed up system, but the players have all the leverage. The courts are going to force the schools to open up the TV revenue for the players. Just like they forced full free agency. The schools have nothing to bargain with to get the players to give anything up.

Reactions: Maroon13

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I bet they can. It's a 17ed up system, but the players have all the leverage. The courts are going to force the schools to open up the TV revenue for the players. Just like they forced full free agency. The schools have nothing to bargain with to get the players to give anything up.
Actually the schools do have some leverage, but i don't think they can actually cooperate enough to use it. Colleges basically entered into a gentleman's agreement with the NFL to function as the farm system without it costing the NFL a dime, because it gives colleges their pick of the most talented players for 3 years for the "cost" of tuition. Only people not getting a (legal) cut in that deal is the players.

Here's the rule: “To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season.” “Players are draft-eligible only in the year after the end of their college eligibility

Collectively, universities could challenge that rule I think, and win. That would force the NFL to pay the top HS graduating talent to sign, and they'd have to pay them while they develop into NFL starters or bust out. Schools might even have a "pay and place" system where the team that drafted the player would pick up the player's tuition and NIL as part of the player's contract. That would be good for the players, good for the schools, and make the NFL actually pay some of the massive amounts of money schools and donors pay to create the farm system that is college football at this point.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
If the UAW was smart… they would ask to represent the future players union.
Remember… every Southern state is a right to work state.

No one in the South wants the UAW anywhere around.

This is gonna get ugly before it’s all said and done.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
#4 is the most inportant bc unlimited transfers drive up the NIL cost. But more importantly we have had our success signing the overlooked guys Now we sign them and show everyone they are good and they can leave.

I don’t ever see a time with no outside NIL. The NFL doesn’t even have that.
Yep, and I say that even as MSU has probably had an overall net benefit from the portal, but I don't think that will last forever.

I truly thought that many of these players weren't really dumb enough to leave starting positions in systems they'd been trained up in. Seems like that's an advantageous position. Oh well, that's money for you. That's why I like to see a lot of these transfers fail.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I know I’m stating the obvious, but this is such a giant cluster.

If State wanted to decide today that they were going to give 5%, 10%, or 50% of TV money to athletes, I’m fairly certain that they could do it without being forced in any direction one way or another from a legal standpoint. It just comes down to what the NCAA allows, and as we all already know, revenue sharing is going to be allowed.

The problem is that schools like State have to make this decision while considering what every other school in the country is doing as well. We’re never going to sign a 4* kid again if schools 3 hrs away are offering double.

So let’s have some consistency, right? Ok, but 1) who is going to decide what’s “fair” and 2) how is this decision maker going to explain to the department of justice that this arbitrary cap doesn’t violate fair labor laws?

As others have said, I don’t see how virtually any of these rules get past the courts without a players’ union that has the ability to collectively bargain, but what does that even look like? Does each school have one union? Each team? Each conference? The entire country?

I’m not sure if the post-apocalyptic world in Fallout or college athletics is a bigger mess right now

Reactions: MSUDOG24