Netflix will have the exclusive broadcasts of the NFL Christmas Day games.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
Netflix is taking things to the next level it seems...they'll have WWE soon and Dana said weeks back they are in early talks with Netflix to have a few of the UFC PPV's and series.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Something seems kinda 17'd up about traditionally free views now requiring subscriptions.

I'm sure I'm just an old fart.
I get it, but to be fair, specifically scheduled Christmas Day NFL games are still fairly new and a lot of times those games were on ESPN or NFL Network, which require subscriptions.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Something seems kinda 17'd up about traditionally free views now requiring subscriptions.

It seems like it would be costly these days to run a traditional broadcast TV station compared to streaming. I wonder how revenue from say Hulu Live carrying local NBC affiliate programming trickles down to them and how long we will see OTA stuff exist? The cost of running and maintaining broadcast networks, antenna site, etc. can't be trivial.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I dont mind the streaming, but keep it with one or two services..... I am not that big of a fan of the NFL to pay for them all. I have Prime for other reasons. Do not subscribe to any others, and not planning on it.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Netflix is taking things to the next level it seems...they'll have WWE soon and Dana said weeks back they are in early talks with Netflix to have a few of the UFC PPV's and series.
Yeah, and before too long, that's why you'll be paying $25 a month to enjoy limited live content and a host of predominantly meh streaming programming.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
It seems like it would be costly these days to run a traditional broadcast TV station compared to streaming. I wonder how revenue from say Hulu Live carrying local NBC affiliate programming trickles down to them and how long we will see OTA stuff exist? The cost of running and maintaining broadcast networks, antenna site, etc. can't be trivial.
Big Business would love to get their hands on that spectrum. I imagine in about a decade they'll close it up and auction off the available spectrum, like they did with the switch to digital OTA.

But that may be my rural MS attitude, where its a struggle to pick up just a couple stations. Big cities get like a 100 free stations, so maybe they'll want to keep that. But seems like those all stream free these days anyway.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Give the NFL credit - they’ve taken their TV inventory and divided it into smaller and smaller packages at a higher and higher rate per game. Takes some serious leverage to pull that off over an extended period.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I get it, but to be fair, specifically scheduled Christmas Day NFL games are still fairly new and a lot of times those games were on ESPN or NFL Network, which require subscriptions.

True, I was confusing it with Thanksgiving.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It is interesting to see the NFL sell live TV rights per weekend/per day. SEC won't do this because ESPN/ABC/Disney own the live TV rights for all SEC games.

What will grow are these online streaming sites from overseas, people won't sign up for these services for one game or for Thursday night games. They will just watch them online.

But think about the advertising opportunity, thats what makes the deal work. If Amazon, Netflix, Peacock were to layout how much TV commercial spots cost during that NFL game and prior... I bet it makes sense.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Give the NFL credit - they’ve taken their TV inventory and divided it into smaller and smaller packages at a higher and higher rate per game. Takes some serious leverage to pull that off over an extended period.
Oh it’s absolutely the smart play. Theyre the king of sports in America by a huge margin. They can do whatever they want.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This!
Back in January there was a wild card or playoff game that streamed on Peacock and social media as well as some Legislators lost their minds. Threats of investigations, demands to see emails, promises of ending anti-trust exemptions, etc were all brought up.
...the game was free to watch on Peacock and for years there were already NFL games that were streaming only. It was bonkers to see people just ignore that and rage over the Peacock announcement.

I dont love how many games are spread out across multiple platforms, but I also havent loved how few NFL games have been available for people to watch on a given week. Blackouts are far worse and far less justifiable than if a few games stream each week.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
This!
Back in January there was a wild card or playoff game that streamed on Peacock and social media as well as some Legislators lost their minds. Threats of investigations, demands to see emails, promises of ending anti-trust exemptions, etc were all brought up.
...the game was free to watch on Peacock and for years there were already NFL games that were streaming only. It was bonkers to see people just ignore that and rage over the Peacock announcement.

I dont love how many games are spread out across multiple platforms, but I also havent loved how few NFL games have been available for people to watch on a given week. Blackouts are far worse and far less justifiable than if a few games stream each week.
It was the Bills and the "Bills Mafia" as they are sometimes called, nearly lost their collective minds. The Bills are scheduled to play on Christmas Day this year.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
It was the Bills and the "Bills Mafia" as they are sometimes called, nearly lost their collective minds. The Bills are scheduled to play on Christmas Day this year.
I get a kick out of the Bills Mafia, and I'm sure they'd come in handy if you found yourself in a bar fight. But I'm not really taking these guy's opinion seriously:

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I consider myself a Bills fan, but not sure if I am in the Mafia yet. It looks like I was wrong though and they don't play on Christmas day.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021

You’re not wrong. I’ve never understood this simply because of the original pay per view. It no longer exists which is allowing for more viewership. Now this. At some point these dipshits are going to learn to leave well enough alone. “Change is good” is the biggest crock of ****. Eventually they’ll learn and put it back the way it was because their change isn’t working.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You’re not wrong. I’ve never understood this simply because of the original pay per view. It no longer exists which is allowing for more viewership. Now this. At some point these dipshits are going to learn to leave well enough alone. “Change is good” is the biggest crock of ****. Eventually they’ll learn and put it back the way it was because their change isn’t working.
When was NFL's availability better "the way it was"?

When you had only 1 televised game each Sunday?
When you had only 2 televised games on a Sunday?
When they added the night game to make it 3 televised games on Sunday?
When the networks started running concurrent games so you had a max of 5 available games on Sunday?
When they added Monday Night Football?
When they added Thanksgiving Day games?
When they started the NFL Network and launched Thursday Night Football?
When they started putting two games on Monday nights?
When they created Sunday Ticket and charged more than a car payment?
When they started streaming games on Yahoo?
When they started streaming games on Twitter?

I mean... in my lifetime, there has never been a concrete media distribution for the NFL and, I don't hate the distribution as it is now. I feel like we have access to so many more games each week than we ever have without having to purchase an expensive cable package.

A lot of these games that are appearing on these streaming platforms would have been the 'also ran' that got pre-empted by local news because it ran against something like Cowboys-Chiefs at 3:25 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon and you'd have to have Sunday Ticket to see it. Now, those Titans-Jaguars games will at least be accessible to people outside of Tennessee and Florida.

Reactions: mstateglfr

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
About 20 years ago, I could only watch 4 NFL games each normal week without paying money. A few on Sunday afternoon and one Monday night. The Sunday night game was on ESPN, so pay to watch.

Then about 15 years ago, I could still only watch 4 NFL games each normal week without paying money, only now I could watch the Sunday night game and the Monday night game was pay to watch.

Then Thursday NFL came and I could still only watch 4 NFL games each normal week without paying money.

Currently, I can watch a few Sunday afternoon games and one on Sunday night without paying money.

So all this streaming talk hasnt actually reduced the number of games I can watch for free on a normal week. All it has done is INCREASED the number of games available to watch.
...is that incorrect? Am I missing something? My memory might not be correct, but it sure seems like nothing is actually taken away here.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
When was NFL's availability better "the way it was"?

When you had only 1 televised game each Sunday?
When you had only 2 televised games on a Sunday?
When they added the night game to make it 3 televised games on Sunday?
When the networks started running concurrent games so you had a max of 5 available games on Sunday?
When they added Monday Night Football?
When they added Thanksgiving Day games?
When they started the NFL Network and launched Thursday Night Football?
When they started putting two games on Monday nights?
When they created Sunday Ticket and charged more than a car payment?
When they started streaming games on Yahoo?
When they started streaming games on Twitter?

I mean... in my lifetime, there has never been a concrete media distribution for the NFL and, I don't hate the distribution as it is now. I feel like we have access to so many more games each week than we ever have without having to purchase an expensive cable package.

A lot of these games that are appearing on these streaming platforms would have been the 'also ran' that got pre-empted by local news because it ran against something like Cowboys-Chiefs at 3:25 p.m. on a Sunday afternoon and you'd have to have Sunday Ticket to see it. Now, those Titans-Jaguars games will at least be accessible to people outside of Tennessee and Florida.
You must’ve had a hard time as a kid understanding what leave it alone means.🤷‍♂️

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Reading the thread, I've been shown the light

More games are definitely available easily and for little to no extra money than in the past.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Avg price of 1 single NFL game ticket: $377
NFL Sunday Ticket for all games: $349

any questions?

bulldawgs231

Oct 2, 2023
Avg price of 1 single NFL game ticket: $377
NFL Sunday Ticket for all games: $349

any questions?
That’s not true. I go to 4-5 games per year and pay nowhere near $377 for 200 level tickets. The AFC divisional round wasn’t even that much.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
ESPN channels via stream only is very close

We use YouTube TV already. They already have packages offered by sport season already I think ESPN might use them for online streaming

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Maybe they’ll have the budget to stop canceling shows without conclusion.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You must’ve had a hard time as a kid understanding what leave it alone means.🤷‍♂️
No, it's just that you can't actually identify at what point in history they should have 'left it alone'.

I think you came in looking to get a cheap pop from the crowd here about the good old days, but you can't actually identify when those good old days were and why they were better. The cantankerous old man bit is kind of worn out here since we're all kind of old now.

You say things like "their change isn't working", but the NFL has never been more available, more popular, or more profitable.

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
No, it's just that you can't actually identify at what point in history they should have 'left it alone'.

I think you came in looking to get a cheap pop from the crowd here about the good old days, but you can't actually identify when those good old days were and why they were better. The cantankerous old man bit is kind of worn out here since we're all kind of old now.

You say things like "their change isn't working", but the NFL has never been more available, more popular, or more profitable.
I only watch the nfl for the saints and a little bit of Dallas. Now, if either team’s game is on stream, I won’t watch. The NFL is nothing like what I grew up on. It’s more sissyfied than anything. Hell, college football is almost there but atleast it’s way more enjoyable.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That’s not true. I go to 4-5 games per year and pay nowhere near $377 for 200 level tickets. The AFC divisional round wasn’t even that much.
I guess the averages in cities like SF throw off the nationwid average

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think major game subscription will kill the game. Making playoffs or special day games a subscription will kill tradition. Instead of watch football with the fam will do something else.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
The broadcast networks don‘t have the money that the Netflix etc have And it will be hard to bid against them. On one hand, it will drive customers to Netflix that otherwise may not have subscribed.. On the other hand, if fewer people watch then that hurts the NFL brand long term.

Assuming we don’t get into a monopoly situation, I think the market sorts this out sooner rather than later.