O.T. 40 acres of Delta Farmland for sale outside Itta Bena city limits.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
It’s a terrible shame to ruin our landscape with those monstrosities. Years down the road, we’ll look back and wonder, “WTF were we thinking?”.

I hate the windmills and the damn solar farms. Big fan of our natural resources and landscape. And yes, I realize that farms aren’t part of the natural landscape, but still. They’re better than F-ing windmills.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
There's a company in north Texas off of I-35 that produces the blades. You can see them in their inventory lot. They are huge.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It’s a terrible shame to ruin our landscape with those monstrosities. Years down the road, we’ll look back and wonder, “WTF were we thinking?”.

I hate the windmills and the damn solar farms. Big fan of our natural resources and landscape. And yes, I realize that farms aren’t part of the natural landscape, but still. They’re better than F-ing windmills.
You're giving people too much credit. Only a very small percentage of the population looks back at idiotic things we've done and tries to learn from them. Nowhere near a large enough percentage to make a difference. The next time somebody suggests we destroy perfectly good food in front of starving people or destroy working equipment because it will somehow help the economy to destroy valuable assets, we'll have morons cheering it along.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

I'm not sure how much landscape is actually being ruined TBH. I have driven through nearly every high concentration of of wind farms in the lower 48 (sans California and new England) over the last 4-5 years and very little is getting ruined.
1000013490.png
West Texas up through Oklahoma and Kansas along with eastern CO and WY are some of the ugliest, most desolate places on earth.
1000013491.png
Possibly the most attractive place, which is still pretty damn desolate, I have seen wind farms is a long the Columbia River along the Eastern Oregon/Washington border.
1000013493.png

This also happens to be one of the windiest places I have ever driven. So they have to be productive. And I hope they put 100,000 more along the Columbia River and Lower Snake River... Here's why:

These windmills are capable of replacing hydroelectric damns that have decimated the salmon population and are threatening an entire ecosystem, including Orca populations in the PNW. Read about Lonesome Larry... In 1992 only 1 Sockeye made it back to his breeding grounds in Redfish Lake. 30 years earlier that number was 30,000. And since 1991, Sockeye Salmon are still on the endangered species act. In 2015, 250,000+ Sockeye died in the Columbia and Snake river drainage.

Lonesome Larry

So, as an outdoorsman and nature lover who lives 30 miles off the main Salmon River that these fish use to get back to Redfish Lake, give me the windmills in this scenario. While that's not always the case, and plenty of times where hydro is great, not in the rivers that fish need to travel back to spawning grounds.

Reactions: dorndawg

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
How are they killing birds? They aren't spinning that fast. Heck a dove can dodge 8 shot at 1200 fps. I don't believe that they can't see that big old blade coming at them.

A lot of your migratory species actually migrate at night. This is one of the reasons windmills are so deadly to them.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I work for an agency that provides funding for a lot of ecosystem restoration projects which includes long term resource monitoring. Last year I was reminded of an old saying my economics professor told us to never forget "Figures don't Lie but Liars Figure". During a meeting we had a brief from a member of the climate change pcx (center of expertise) speaking about the benefits of windmills. When called out by a statistician concerning bird kills the fellow refercenced a study stating less than 1.5M birds per year were killed. The stats dude obviously had done his homework and started talking abourt falacies with the numbers in the study. The briefer then stated well you know the data can be "squeezed" one way or another:oops:

Reactions: 60sdog

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The American West is covered with windmill farms these days. When you are driving you have to avoid looking at them too much as they are kind of hypnotic. At least that’s the effect they have on me. You don’t realize how massive those things are in that big open country until you see an 18 wheeler transporting some of the components. They may be very effective when they are working but they sure ruin the landscape.
Need to get back to the good old days when you could hit Route 66 and see all the fine scenery that the US had to offer...***
Route 66 NEAR TUCUMCARI WITH 1960S BILLBOARDS and white striping added ...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Here is the Chinese solution, don't have to mow under them either. Cant' wait to see the video of a drunk on a pontoon or jet boat come flying down through there at night.........

View attachment 564712
China invested more in solar last year than the US has in all of time. Not sure if they are winning or losing, but if the future is renewable energy, they are way ahead of us.

elvis76

Oct 15, 2022
I cannot remember the source but watched a video couple of er years back that said the Windmill industry was spouting about the large number of birds killed by other things like cats and other predatory animals, autos, electric line spikes, etc. The problem with that, according to the source, is that the ones being killed low to ground level are the most populous and mass reproductive. Wrens, sparrows, redbirds, etc. Windmills are killing larger and more rare birds due to their flight patterns being higher. Examples given were Hawks, Eagles, and a few others.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
It sucks how windmills kill so many birds, and I empathize with the folks who are concerned about this. It's going to be exceptionally sad day for them when they find out about the costs of extraction, refining, and combustion of hydrocarbons to flora, fauna, and the atmosphere.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Everybody loves them when they get put in the MS Delta, the plains of the Midwest, desert SW etc but by damn don't put them off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, or Long Island because that's old blue blood trust fund houses

The Chinese started putting them in lakes on floating platforms for that reason
There is a wind farm off the coast of Martha's Vineyard. https://www.mass.gov/news/vineyard-...power-from-5-turbines-to-the-new-england-grid

As well as Long Island. https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs/Offshore-Wind/Focus-Areas/NY-Offshore-Wind-Projects

Jan 4, 2024
It sucks how windmills kill so many birds, and I empathize with the folks who are concerned about this. It's going to be exceptionally sad day for them when they find out about the costs of extraction, refining, and combustion of hydrocarbons to flora, fauna, and the atmosphere.
We've been told for eons all life should be gone by now despite the climate change going on now has been happening for millions of years.

Reactions: 60sdog

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Fun fact, in the 80s the Leflore County Club (between G'wood and IB) had the hardest ground in the history of planet earth. It was a struggle to get a tee in the tee box. Also in the late 70s there was a gruesome murder at the country club when some idiots tried to rob a late night poker game. Long time Leflore County Sheriff Ricky Banks made his reputation on that case.
Played that country club in the late 90's and witnessed the most beautiful August sunset I've ever seen in my life. Sun looked like the size of a basketball sitting on the horizon. Dark orange magnificent spectacle. Guess the flat land really enhanced that image. Never seen anything like it anywhere in the world.

Jan 4, 2024
Fun fact, in the 80s the Leflore County Club (between G'wood and IB) had the hardest ground in the history of planet earth. It was a struggle to get a tee in the tee box. Also in the late 70s there was a gruesome murder at the country club when some idiots tried to rob a late night poker game. Long time Leflore County Sheriff Ricky Banks made his reputation on that case.
I remember that robbery as a kid growing up in Greenwood. I knew the kid who lost his dad that night. Think his name was Campbell.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Once these windmills run their course/breakdown or are inoperable. What the hell are they going to do with them? Think about how much it will cost to remove or replace them? How the hell do you dispose of them? The areas that they are in will never be the same.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Oh I know, the locals have complained for years about them. They want the clean energy but just somewhere else and not at their beloved "Vineyard" or "The Island"
Well, sure. We have folks complaining about wind/solar in lots of geographies, right here in this thread. Somebody's gonna compain about anything, right?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Once these windmills run their course/breakdown or are inoperable. What the hell are they going to do with them? Think about how much it will cost to remove or replace them? How the hell do you dispose of them? The areas that they are in will never be the same.
End of life disposal is definitely concerning.
...it's kinda sorta concerning for all energy production and consumption.

We have flooded valleys to produce energy, we have destroyed forests to produce energy, we have permanently scarred mountains to produce energy, and we have destroyed entire marine ecosystems to produce energy.

^ and none of that even gets into what we have destroyed due to consuming energy.

From where I sit, I don't see a way to create energy without also creating waste and destruction.
As such, we should strive to create energy in ways that reduce waste and destruction, when compared to current alternatives.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
From where I sit, I don't see a way to create energy without also creating waste and destruction.
As such, we should strive to create energy in ways that reduce waste and destruction, when compared to current alternatives.
I think that’s a good overarching point to this. No matter the energy source there’s a cost environmentally. Just depends on what makes you feel good inside knowing whichever way is “the best” when in reality is there a best?

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
we kill more birds driving cars each year.....just saying and what about all the other animals struck by vehicles, are we going To stop driving?

Jan 4, 2024
we kill more birds driving cars each year.....just saying and what about all the other animals struck by vehicles, are we going To stop driving?
I've killed 4 while driving. 2 at once in 1 incident. Does The Delta still have those black birds with some red feathers?