Official 2024 Blue-White game thread

Dec 14, 2021
Blue-White thoughts
I didn't expect to see anything earth shattering. I was a little surprised the defense blitzed as much as it did. It might have been more for the benefit of the OL rather than the defense. I'd be thrilled if the mid-range passing game (mentioned above) was a feature this year. Previous offense seemed to be quick screen or bomb. I'd love to see pass routes designed to get 8-10 yards on 3rd and 6 or 8. (paging Liam Clifford) There always seems to be a Blue-White standout who doesn't play much in the fall. I'm interested to see who it might be this year. I like Tom Allen. Hope he succeeds. With apologies, did Alonzo Ford get any action on the defensive line? Important summer for Drew Allar and the receivers. I was surprised Fleming wasn't paired with him. I like Pribula, I really do, but there is a large gap between Allar and Pribula. The Pribula-McSorley comparion is more of a wish than a reality.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
They just aren't a program we should lose to. Really, they aren't close to the PS program in any way. Coaching recruiting facilities. They do have a couple big money people who throw around NIL money but that's where WVA begins and ends. Anyone care to compare a WVA degree to a PS degree. Maybe in dentistry ;) Seriously we should never lose to WVA. Hope I didn't just jinx us.
Every P5 program has the potential to beat another P5 program. Your statement puts WVU on a level with schools like UMass and Villanova….flat out ridiculous. They’ve beaten schools like Oklahoma, Clemson, TCU, and PSU in the past, so why are they now a team we should never lose to home or away?

• Haha
Reactions: Anon1648262989

Anon1648262989

Mar 25, 2022
Every P5 program has the potential to beat another P5 program. Your statement puts WVU on a level with schools like UMass and Villanova….flat out ridiculous. They’ve beaten schools like Oklahoma, Clemson, TCU, and PSU in the past, so why are they now a team we should never lose to home or away?
You're entitled to your opinion. You first sentence is true. Comparing them to Umas or a Villanova is your take I never compared them to anyone but PS. To your question the answer is in my original post. They simply don't compare to PS in any way. Nothing has changed there since the 60's. We are 49-9-2 we had a 25-year win streak against them. To think that WVA is the same to PS on any level is ridiculous. The nine losses and 2 ties to them is ancient history and since then the gap between them and us has only gotten wider.

Last edited:

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
You're entitled to your opinion. You first sentence is true. Comparing them to Umas or a Villanova is your take I never compared them to anyone but PS. To your question the answer is in my original post. They simply don't compare to PS in any way. Nothing has changed there since the 60's. We are 49-9-2 we had a 25-year win streak against them. To think that WVA is the same to PS on any level is ridiculous. The nine losses and 2 ties to them is ancient history and since then the gap between them and us has only gotten wider.
Actually if we had continued to play them after 92, the 9 losses would have been more. The only schools that we should beat every year home or away are the UMass and Villanova type teams. We’ve lost to far worse teams than the 2024 version of WVU throughout the history of our program.

CbusLion

Oct 28, 2021
Actually if we had continued to play them after 92, the 9 losses would have been more. The only schools that we should beat every year home or away are the UMass and Villanova type teams. We’ve lost to far worse teams than the 2024 version of WVU throughout the history of our program.
We lost to Toledo, OhioU, and got taken apart by Temple.

But PSU fans would all agree that those types of games "should never happen".

WVU is a better program and team than some of our historical losses, but you can understand his meaning that we should absolutely expect to win.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
We lost to Toledo, OhioU, and got taken apart by Temple.

But PSU fans would all agree that those types of games "should never happen".

WVU is a better program and team than some of our historical losses, but you can understand his meaning that we should absolutely expect to win.
They shouldn’t have happened yet they did…that’s the point. Posters thinking we’re an Alabama or Georgia level program that should beat every team outside of the top 5 is a bit much.

CbusLion

Oct 28, 2021
They shouldn’t have happened yet they did…that’s the point. Posters thinking we’re an Alabama or Georgia level program that should beat every team outside of the top 5 is a bit much.
Yes it is a bit much. WVU isn't a scrub program. But he's right that Penn State should be a strong favorite if using it's resources well. He translates that to "should never lose to". Fine. Not to be taken too literally.

And many fans feel Penn State, for all its resources, should be fielding teams more like Alabama and Georgia.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Yes it is a bit much. WVU isn't a scrub program. But he's right that Penn State should be a strong favorite if using it's resources well. He translates that to "should never lose to". Fine. Not to be taken too literally.

And many fans feel Penn State, for all its resources, should be fielding teams more like Alabama and Georgia.
All its resources other than NIL money, recruiting territory, and brand name, but other than that, we’re right up there.

CbusLion

Oct 28, 2021
All its resources other than NIL money, recruiting territory, and brand name, but other than that, we’re right up there.
Penn State is generally considered a top10-12 program. Reasonable for fans expecting to be "competitive" with OSU/Michigan/Alabama.

But I encourage anyone disappointed with Penn State's performance to contribute to NIL.

Anon1648262989

Mar 25, 2022
Blue-White thoughts
I didn't expect to see anything earth shattering. I was a little surprised the defense blitzed as much as it did. It might have been more for the benefit of the OL rather than the defense. I'd be thrilled if the mid-range passing game (mentioned above) was a feature this year. Previous offense seemed to be quick screen or bomb. I'd love to see pass routes designed to get 8-10 yards on 3rd and 6 or 8. (paging Liam Clifford) There always seems to be a Blue-White standout who doesn't play much in the fall. I'm interested to see who it might be this year. I like Tom Allen. Hope he succeeds. With apologies, did Alonzo Ford get any action on the defensive line? Important summer for Drew Allar and the receivers. I was surprised Fleming wasn't paired with him. I like Pribula, I really do, but there is a large gap between Allar and Pribula. The Pribula-McSorley comparion is more of a wish than a reality.
For what we saw. It was just the little things the coaches wanted to work on for a last game type practice. I would say we saw less than 5% of what we might see this fall. Tom Allen is here to rep his career and become a HC again, two three years max. Fleming will be a big part of the package. Pribula is close to Allar than some people think and is better tan Allar in somethings. What Pribula needs is playing time where they give him the whole package. Having said that no coach wants a QB controversy. Pribula is a bigger stronger faster McSorely type. The thing both QB's lack at this time is accuracy. I'm not sure we will a different Allar this year as compared to last year. It's time to prove it in the Big Game department.