OT: Anyone flown United out of Meridian?

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I usually use Jackson, Birmingham or Memphis, but MEI has some decent fares when compared to those, and beats the heck out of flying Delta to Atlanta when going west. Wondering how service/reliable it is?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Brother flew United in to Hattiesburg-Laurel a couple of months ago. The boarding/de-boarding process is a breeze at these small airports. But there was a problem with the last leg of his flight from Houston-Laurel and it was cancelled. He was stuck in Houston overnight. They put him up in a pretty low-rent hotel (not one of the name brands you would recognize) and gave him a couple of $10 meal vouchers for restaurants in the airport for dinner and breakfast. So, bottom line, it's great if your flight doesn't get cancelled.

jstoddawg

Sep 14, 2012
I usually use Jackson, Birmingham or Memphis, but MEI has some decent fares when compared to those, and beats the heck out of flying Delta to Atlanta when going west. Wondering how service/reliable it is?
My family flies out of it at least 3 times a year. Hidden gem. Super easy in and out. The parking is $2 per day and on honor system.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I flew the Houston -> Laurel-> Meridian route at Christmas. I would do it again, but there was a minor hiccup in Laurel where some sensor flagged a problem (which turned out to be nothing). They had us all deplane, but not in the "sterile" TSA-secured half of the airport. So everyone had to go back through security again, and my mobile boarding pass didn't work because it was already scanned in Houston.

That's a long way of saying if you have to deplane in a small airport, make sure you enter through the secure part of the airport.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Yes. Only problem is you have to connect at their Houston hub. It's not so bad departing, but on the return trip, you'll fly from Houston to Hattiesburg. Sit on the incredibly cramped CRJ200 for 45 minutes in Hattiesburg. Then on to meridian. And makes for a very long flight. I won't fly it again unless I'm going to Houston. The later model CRJs aren't too bad. But the CRJ200 is a crappy airplane to fly on. Window is way too low to see out of, it has old pressurization technology, so that makes for an uncomfortable flight. And they cram too many seats in there. With no first class seats and no extra leg room on the exit rows. Its all coach

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yes. Only problem is you have to connect at their Houston hub. It's not so bad departing, but on the return trip, you'll fly from Houston to Hattiesburg. Sit on the incredibly cramped CRJ200 for 45 minutes in Hattiesburg. Then on to meridian. And makes for a very long flight. I won't fly it again unless I'm going to Houston. The later model CRJs aren't too bad. But the CRJ200 is a crappy airplane to fly on. Window is way too low to see out of, it has old pressurization technology, so that makes for an uncomfortable flight. And they cram too many seats in there. With no first class seats and no extra leg room on the exit rows. Its all coach
Those CRJs are miserable if you’re tall. Flew on one from Sioux Falls SD to Minneapolis one time. Had a window seat and my head was resting up against the wall of the plane above the window.

I was just glad to be leaving because a huge blizzard was about to hit and we were one of the last planes out of there. It was snowing it’s *** off when we took off.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Those CRJs are miserable if you’re tall. Flew on one from Sioux Falls SD to Minneapolis one time. Had a window seat and my head was resting up against the wall of the plane above the window.

I was just glad to be leaving because a huge blizzard was about to hit and we were one of the last planes out of there. It was snowing it’s *** off when we took off.
True that. I'm 6'6", so I'm always looking to upgrade to first class, get an exit row, or get a bulkhead seat.

May 23, 2022
I did the route DCA to Houston to Meridian to PIB. Not too bad, but the route was originally supposed to go from Houston to PIB, but they alert you the night before in a text that Meridian was added to the route. It's a LONG flight, not bad other than the waiting in Houston. This last year, I did DCA to GPT with a connection in ATL. Total flight time was about 2 hours on delta. and GPT is an impressive airport for its size.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
i use its once or twice per month. quick, easy and friendly. Dont have to be there early. Never had a delay. Never had a problem once.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
, but they alert you the night before in a text that Meridian was added to the route.
Meridian has never been added to the flight the night before. One inbound flight per day returning from Houston is shared with MEI and PIB. Some days it goes to PIB first and some days its goes to MEI first. is what it is but they are assuredly scheduled and not late additions....

Reactions: 17itdawg
May 23, 2022
Meridian has never been added to the flight the night before. One inbound flight per day returning from Houston is shared with MEI and PIB. Some days it goes to PIB first and some days its goes to MEI first. is what it is but they are assuredly scheduled and not late additions....
i got a late addition twice last year.