OT: half-hour comedies

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Are they dead? Can anyone recommend a funny tv show (streaming or network) currently being produced? And I’m not talking quirky shows that have funny moments occasionally or dramedies, but straight up comedies. The Good Place was probably the last comedy I watched with any regularity.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm currently watching Southpark and Reno 911. Family Guy completely lost its edge, leaned too far left.

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
Definitely a shadow of what they used to be.

Schitts Creek was probably the last newish comedy I watched. I also like Marvelous Mrs Maisel but they're hour episodes. Some of the older ones on HBO are pretty good if you've never seen them like Eastbound and Down, Silicon Valley, Veep, or Barry.

I think the last actual new comedy I watched was That 90s show, which was cheesy but worth watching for any that 70s show fans.

I'd love a new actual sitcom. I find myself watching Seinfeld and Scrubs reruns instead.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
+1 on Derry Girls. It’s hilarious.

I also like both versions of Ghosts, the original BBC version on HBO Max and the American remake on CBS.

The first season of Mythic Quest on Apple TV was pretty good, too.

Bob’s Burgers is another great one. Consistently funny.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Are they dead? Can anyone recommend a funny tv show (streaming or network) currently being produced? And I’m not talking quirky shows that have funny moments occasionally or dramedies, but straight up comedies. The Good Place was probably the last comedy I watched with any regularity.
I watch the Andy Griffith Show on a continuous basis. I laugh at each episode as if its the first time I have ever seen it. It never gets old.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Nope. The way everything is examined and re-examined by the Twitter Mob and Social Warriors, writers must be careful with everything they put down on paper for any TV show or Movie. It's official now that you can't make fun of anyone without risking the wrath said Mob. It makes it funny that these are the same people who are on strike after delivering five years of the worst entertainment of television or film in history. Tell me honestly... when was the last time you were excited about any tv show or movie that follows a script? When was the last time you were interested in the Oscars or Emmys? Even the Grammys?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Nope. The way everything is examined and re-examined by the Twitter Mob and Social Warriors, writers must be careful with everything they put down on paper for any TV show or Movie. It's official now that you can't make fun of anyone without risking the wrath said Mob. It makes it funny that these are the same people who are on strike after delivering five years of the worst entertainment of television or film in history. Tell me honestly... when was the last time you were excited about any tv show or movie that follows a script? When was the last time you were interested in the Oscars or Emmys? Even the Grammys?
I was asking for recommendations, not a lecture.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Shoresy on Hulu.

Reactions: Dawgg and 17itdawg

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I’ve never really cared about the Oscar’s or the Emmys but there’s been a ton of good TV in the last five years. Severance, Ted Lasso, Bad Sisters, Only Murders in the Building, Russian Doll, Poker Face, Ghosts, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Derry Girls, The Crown all just off the top of my head.

Reactions: 17itdawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
- Deery Girls. Watch it with captions.
-South Park. Worth it if you can watch the Paramount movies since recent seasons have been like 5 episodes. They put British 'seasons' to shame even.
- Schitts Creek is great, if you are open to the characters.
- Abbot Elementary is good and funny, but not laugh hard funny.
- American Auto is good and funny, but not laugh hard funny.

As for binging other shows with multiple seasons...
- Superstore is funny and memorable.
- How I Met your Mother is a crap ton of episodes and seasons. Older style comedy with laughtrack and jokes that really aren't around now.
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the best comedy of this century. And it can go toe to toe with anything from the last one. It's Seinfeld on smoked Crack. Binging all the seasons, from the start, should be required in life. Frank is the greatest character in comedy.
- The League is an awesome comedy too and has countless hard laugh moments.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was asking for recommendations, not a lecture.
right... how silly of me.

I didn't mean to preach, I just loved the 70s thru 90s sitcoms. All In The Family to Friends. It was fun to expect a couple of hours of fun punctuated by a good hour anchor show to finish prime time.

South Park is still the king of everybody's game for comedy.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
If you e got appletv watch Shrinking with Jason Segal and Harrison Ford it’s hilarious. It’s 8 episodes approximately 35 minutes.

Reactions: travis.sixpack

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Love the IT Crowd. Watched the series several times. The Gay episode is one of the greatest comedy episodes ever made.
Fawlty Towers is a hoot if you've never scene it. The Psychologist episode is another greatest comedy episodes ever made.
Seinfeld is always good for a laugh.
Never seen the IT Crowd. I'll check it out. Blackadder and Allo Allo are really good 80s Brit-Coms, if you liked FT.

nun GIF

Reactions: Ranchdawg

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Love the IT Crowd. Watched the series several times. The Gay episode is one of the greatest comedy episodes ever made.
Fawlty Towers is a hoot if you've never scene it. The Psychologist episode is another greatest comedy episodes ever made.
Seinfeld is always good for a laugh.
The IT Crowd is an all-timer. I so wish there were more seasons.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
"I Think You Should Leave" on Netflix just dropped a new season. It's short sketches, but it's hard laugh funny to me.

Harley Quinn on MAX is pretty over the top, but I enjoy it.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Will people still be watching any of the newer shows ten or twenty years from now or will home entertainment have taken a totally different turn by then. The longevity of Andy Griffith, Cheers, Mash et all has always been intriguing to me but I don't think it will be like this in the future . Thoughts ?

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Will people still be watching any of the newer shows ten or twenty years from now or will home entertainment have taken a totally different turn by then. The longevity of Andy Griffith, Cheers, Mash et all has always been intriguing to me but I don't think it will be like this in the future . Thoughts ?
I think because cable is becoming increasingly less popular, and variety has drastically gone up since then, we will see very few shows reach that degree of longevity. Nowadays you have to try so much harder to keep the viewer engaged and attentive because they can easily turn it off and find another show to watch.