OT: TMB Movie Club - Use this thread for feature films in theaters or streaming....

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I am enjoying Poker Face on Peacock. Fun series
Mea culpa! wrong thread I’ll be in McAndrew jail soon!
Bored The Virginian GIF by GritTV

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
Brining the Wakanda Forever conversation over to this thread. I agree that it's pretty mediocre.

IMHO it suffers from the sudden & unexpected loss of it's A-List Marvel Cinematic Universe Hero, Chadwick Boseman, and the fact that it doesn't have a natural A-List Marvel Cinematic Hero crossover candidate for whatever story they'd originally intended to tell (without it becoming that Hero's movie).

My take is: they made the best lemonade they could with the lemons they were dealt.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Brining the Wakanda Forever conversation over to this thread. I agree that it's pretty mediocre.

IMHO it suffers from the sudden & unexpected loss of it's A-List Marvel Cinematic Universe Hero, Chadwick Boseman, and the fact that it doesn't have a natural A-List Marvel Cinematic Hero crossover candidate for whatever story they'd originally intended to tell (without it becoming that Hero's movie).

My take is: they made the best lemonade they could with the lemons they were dealt.
That was my pretty much my take as well. I thought the first 10 minutes were a really moving tribute to Boseman but the rest of the movie was pretty blah. One way they could have improved it, at least for me was to cut some things out. It was too long, even to watch at home.
In hindsight they would have been better off to re-cast.

Reactions: Zenophile

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
That was my pretty much my take as well. I thought the first 10 minutes were a really moving tribute to Boseman but the rest of the movie was pretty blah. One way they could have improved it, at least for me was to cut some things out. It was too long, even to watch at home.
In hindsight they would have been better off to re-cast.
At least it was better than the last Thor movie.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Haven’t seen it yet but will before Ant-Man, which I have high hopes for (great cast, one of the best ‘worlds within the world’ of the MCU, Kathryn Newton!). Black Panther was never a top tier hero in the MCU and they’ve improved his prestige with the movies, but he doesn’t have as impressive source material to work with and his villain roster is light.

Reactions: bbrown

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I haven't seen that one yet.
But Iron Man 3, The Mandarin was on last night and I forgot how really bad it was. OOf.

Thor Love and Thunder is great. The movie magic they do with new film technology is amazing to watch. And Christian Bale is one of the best bad guys ever - just tremendous. Wonderful ending too. Portman is a bit distracting but Waititi is able to make their relationship work in a way that didn’t exist in the first two Thor movies.

Marvel Cinematic Universe GIF by Leroy Patterson

Reactions: bbrown

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
Thor Love and Thunder is great. The movie magic they do with new film technology is amazing to watch. And Christian Bale is one of the best bad guys ever - just tremendous. Wonderful ending too. Portman is a bit distracting but Waititi is able to make their relationship work in a way that didn’t exist in the first two Thor movies.

Marvel Cinematic Universe GIF by Leroy Patterson
Other than Ragnorak, the Thor movies have been my least favorite of the Marvel movies.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Other than Ragnorak, the Thor movies have been my least favorite of the Marvel movies.

That’s fair, but they’re one of my favorites (I mean - Cate Blanchett and Christian Bale as the last two villains??? YES!). But, they went from Kenneth Branagh and his Shakespearean lens to Taika Waititi which makes them a bit uneven. The last two Thor movies are probably my favorites outside of the GOTG and Avengers movies.

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
Haven’t seen it yet but will before Ant-Man, which I have high hopes for (great cast, one of the best ‘worlds within the world’ of the MCU, Kathryn Newton!). Black Panther was never a top tier hero in the MCU and they’ve improved his prestige with the movies, but he doesn’t have as impressive source material to work with and his villain roster is light.
Amen. Like Guardians of the Galaxy, excellent moviemaking made Black Panther an A-List Hero.

Reactions: Midnighter

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
That’s fair, but they’re one of my favorites (I mean - Cate Blanchett and Christian Bale as the last two villains??? YES!). But, they went from Kenneth Branagh and his Shakespearean lens to Taika Waititi which makes them a bit uneven. The last two Thor movies are probably my favorites outside of the GOTG and Avengers movies.
Ragnarok is one of my favorites. I am also a big fan of the 2 Ant Man movies so am really looking forward to the new one.
Winter Soldier is still at the top of my list followed by the 1st Iron Man.
On a similar note I'm liking what I am hearing about about James Gunn and the HBO MAX series The Lanterns.
looking forward to see who they pick as the John Stewart Lantern. He was my favorite in the animated series.
Ok Nerd glasses off.;)

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Ragnarok is one of my favorites. I am also a big fan of the 2 Ant Man movies so am really looking forward to the new one.
Winter Soldier is still at the top of my list followed by the 1st Iron Man.
On a similar note I'm liking what I am hearing about about James Gunn and the HBO MAX series The Lanterns.
looking forward to see who they pick as the John Stewart Lantern. He was my favorite in the animated series.
Ok Nerd glasses off.;)

Love Ant-Man - Rudd is such a weird awesome choice as a lead. I’ll add the Black Widow movie was really well done and I hope we get some version of the Thunderbolts (USAgent, Yelena Bolova, Baron Zemo, Tasjmaster). Love Pugh as Yelena!

Reactions: Shoresy

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Love Ant-Man - Rudd is such a weird awesome choice as a lead. I’ll add the Black Widow movie was really well done and I hope we get some version of the Thunderbolts (USAgent, Yelena Bolova, Baron Zemo, Tasjmaster). Love Pugh as Yelena!
I like Rudd as well. Looking forward to seeing him and Majors together.
Down a different rabbit hole Magazine Dreams sounds really interesting but again I'm a Johnathan Majors fan since Last Black Man in San Francisco.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
No mention of All Quiet on the Western Front? I thought it was incredible. The French counter-attack near the end is the most harrowing cinema I've seen since the opening of Saving Private Ryan blew my head off in the theater.

The book is better, the movie doesn't do the best job of getting in the characters' heads, but it's still a great insight into WWI trench warfare.
Watched this solo last night. My fav part was the transition from cheering the motherland to in the trench, that was so great. Also Paul checking the name tag on his uni, the admin tears it off, then the director pans to the dozens of name tags under the desk. Like so many soon to be killed yutes. POWERFUL movie.
im a thankful guy, no small part of that is what do I do that’s even 1% of that in my piece of cake life?

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Watched this solo last night. My fav part was the transition from cheering the motherland to in the trench, that was so great. Also Paul checking the name tag on his uni, the admin tears it off, then the director pans to the dozens of name tags under the desk. Like so many soon to be killed yutes. POWERFUL movie.
im a thankful guy, no small part of that is what do I do that’s even 1% of that in my piece of cake life?

I remember seeing saving private Ryan at 18 years old and realizing that could have been me. Really shook me up.

We should all have this in-depth understanding of how horrific war is so we think twice before we start another one. I think that's the point.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
I want to see a war movie about the human wave orc attacks going on now in Ukraine. Not to make light of the massive suffering in any way, but a movie about a convict plucked from a Siberian prison and forced to do suicidal human wave attacks and crawling over a carpet of corpses would be something to see.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Caught Babylon on Dropbox. Wildly entertaining flick about Hollywood in the transition from silent films to talkies. Brad Pitt was great and Margo Robbie……
Sexy Stephen King GIF by Mr. Mercedes

The scene where the studio is filming their first talkie scene is a freakin riot.
I finally saw Babylon and would agree. Some crazy stuff but overall, I really enjoyed it.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
This seems to fall into the category of Kingpin, Something About Mary, etc and looks like a lot of fun

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
I recently watched Sharper on Apple TV Plus and Everything Everywhere All At Once. I really liked Sharper. I could see some of the plot twists coming, but a few caught me by surprise. On the other hand, Everything Everywhere was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Just awful. How Jamie Lee Curtis gets an Oscar nomination for a completely forgettable role is beyond me.

Last edited:

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Infinity Pool via Dropbox. Interesting concept but could have been better developed. Typical Cronenberg violence and Mia Goth and Alexander Skaarsgard were good in it.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Watched M Night Shymalan’s new one Knock at the Cabin. Overall, not a bad flick, rather grim and Bautista was excellent in it. Quite the accomplishment for M Night given his recent dreck.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Watched M Night Shymalan’s new one Knock at the Cabin. Overall, not a bad flick, rather grim and Bautista was excellent in it. Quite the accomplishment for M Night given his recent dreck.

I thought ‘Old’ wasn’t bad.

Reactions: ewb75

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Watched The Whale on Dropbox. A tough, emotional ride, not for everyone. Brilliant performance from Brendan Fraser, Hong Chau, Samantha Morton, and Sadie Sink as the daughter.

Reactions: Woodpecker

WillyMO

Oct 28, 2021
This is in no way an endorsement of the movie one way or the other but since there are lots of trailers in this thread I thought I'd post one of my sons who is in the trailer/video marketing business. This is one he did for social media.

That's cool! Luther is a great series on the BBC so I can't wait for the movie.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Can’t remember if this was already posted but a crazy entertaining flick on Netflix, the Indian saga RRR

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
New Wes Anderson flick dropping July. No trailer yet but stellar cast and space camp in the desert in the 1950’s!

According to IMDB, Bill Murray was originally cast in Steve Carell's role, but contracted COVID-19 shortly before filming. He had to withdraw from the production.

Supposedly, the trailer drops tomorrow.

Latest posts