OT: TMB Movie Club - Use this thread for feature films in theaters or streaming....

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Ehhhh….mixed feelings here. Love Aaron Taylor Johnson, but this feels really contrived. Kraven as a good guy? It’s why Venom has t worked either despite how good Hardy is in everything. Will watch when it hits Disney+.

Reactions: bbrown

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Ehhhh….mixed feelings here. Love Aaron Taylor Johnson, but this feels really contrived. Kraven as a good guy? It’s why Venom has t worked either despite how good Hardy is in everything. Will watch when it hits Disney+.
A good guy? He bites the nose off of a dude in the one scene. Problem is they can’t use Spiderman in these movies so they have to alter him to an anti-hero.

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
A good guy? He bites the nose off of a dude in the one scene. Problem is they can’t use Spiderman in these movies so they have to alter him to an anti-hero.
Spider-Man is Sony‘s IP. They can use him.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Yeah, he’s still a good guy. Kraven canonically isn’t an anti-hero; he’s a bad guy. So is Venom. Low expectations here.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
My bad. But there is also an MCU version. This is confusing, all this multiverse crap!

MCU uses Spidey under agreement with Sony; but Sony also has access and rights to all ancillary Spider-Man characters and to date the movies haven’t been good (Morbius, Venom). The Spidey proper movies have been good since the MCU has been woven into them.

SurgeOne

Oct 30, 2021
Guy Ritchie’s “The Covenant” - WOW! Dar Salim and J Gyllenhall. Amazon Prime.

INTENSE. Impactful on the emo’s. I think both actors were fantastic.

Prob top 10 movie all time for me. Maybe it’s due to personal reasons, but I don’t think so. My wife loved it too. The scene where he says “I have a hook in me…” - I could have lifted a 747 off it’s rear wheels, adrenaline was going…

Would be curious to hear if others loved it as much as I did.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I finally saw Babylon and would agree. Some crazy stuff but overall, I really enjoyed it.

I finally got to watch on my flight and also loved it - it’s big, loud, messy, but riveting - it’s Chazelle basically getting all the money he wants from a studio to flex every cinematic muscle he has and it pays off in a big way from the performances (Robbie stands out - as usual) to the massive set pieces where there are 30 things going in at once but everything has a purpose. Just filmmaking at an extremely high level. I will say parts of the film can be tough and you could probably cut Pitt’s entire character out and wouldn’t lose much, but it’s an indulgence from Chazelle and ultimately worthwhile.

I agree the first talkie scene is tremendous stuff. Not to mention the jazz score which is unbelievable. All that said, this movie goes REALLY dark in the last act. I think Chazelle is maybe the best American filmmaker since The Tarantino, PT Anderson, Spike Jonze crew from the 90s.

Brad Pitt Party GIF by Regal

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Ooh yeah!!!

Looks good, fingers crossed. I was not a fan of the first installment. 🤷‍♂️
Finished the 2nd episode of Secret Invasion...ehhh. it's ok but not much action. Hopefully it gets better.
Kingsley Ben-Adir is pretty good in it.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
News for Majors is pretty bad - dropped by management and PR firm and no future shoots with Marvel scheduled for at least a year. The cancellation is so quick these days; wonder what Marvel will do? Ezra Miller is on film being drunk and abusive and Flash is still coming out….

Wow, things have really shifted...:oops:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nypd-seeks-arrest-marvel-star-181801234.html

Reactions: Midnighter