OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Didn't know this was coming. First Tom movie was excellent. Pace, styling, story. I even think Tom pulls the larger than life off really well (like the "I'm gonna break 3 drunk kids hands" part here).

The second felt too Hollywood cliché. Never read the books, but the second movie felt like a rehashed script that they slapped Jack Reacher title on.

Definitely looking forward to this.
Cruise playing a guy 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest - now THAT's acting!

• Haha
Reactions: VaDave4PSU

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Any thoughts on Succession season finale? Don't want to post spoilers but what did everyone think? The show is an expert at 're-setting' the chess pieces every year and this is no different, but the moves are getting more intense. Will be interesting to see where they go from here....and now we know the deeper meaning of this S3 poster....

Nice pick up on the poster. It's so obvious now (they even have a black line on the floor between them). Oh, and you blew my mind with the Brian Cox/Deadwood thing. I've been trying to figure out why he was familiar and that was it.
Season finale was solid. Definitely one of the better shows going right now, although a tier below shows like Deadwood, Wire, BB, Sopranos, Justified imo.

Reactions: Midnighter

scocha409

Nov 1, 2021
We just watched, over a three-week period, all the seasons of Madam Secretary. (I think there were 6.) The first 3/4 seasons were excellent. After that, it had some interesting episodes, but it got a little too melodramatic. Or perhaps watching 120 episodes in 21-day period was too much in too short a time.

Téa Leoni was quite easy on the eyes as the Secretary of State.

Tea Leoni, leoni, actress, tea, blue, HD wallpaper

15+} Hot Téa Leoni Bikini & Hot Pics (Sexy Cleavage & Swimsuit Pictures)
Agree, great show, but ya slipped a spoiler in there.....

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Couple of shows getting good reviews/buzz I’m hoping to watch during the holiday break…

Yellowjackets (Showtime)

Station Eleven (HBO Max)

Maybe ‘The Wire’ if I can find the time… ;)

Reactions: Woodpecker

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Seems we’re in the winter posting doldrums, so I thought this might be a good time to ask if anyone here has seen the Canadian television series Corner Gas? It is only available on the IMDb TV app right now, but if you have it I would highly recommend giving it a chance. I believe it is Canada‘s most successful TV series ever, and the humor is very, very dry. And if you have seen it, Karen, Lacey, and Wanda. In that order.

5C3D5414-9875-403C-87E0-476971B01868.jpeg

Last edited:

WSTLion87

Oct 10, 2021
The Witcher -- does anyone watch? My friends rave over the show, They say even better than GOT. Is that true?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralphie_

Oct 12, 2021
Does anyone watch? My friends rave over the show, They say even better than GOT. Is that true?

Watched the first season this week. I really like it, but my opinion, not better than GOT. If you liked GOT, I think you would like Witcher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Does anyone watch? My friends rave over the show, They say even better than GOT. Is that true?

My brother talked me into it. Once you get past Superman playing a white haired monster hunting warlock, and try to get all comparisons to GoT out of your head (I do think people who like GoT will like Witcher, but it's a faster moving story with a much smaller budget), I think it's very enjoyable (and gets better in Season 2). They don't have as much room to allow for as many main characters and big epic story arcs as GoT, but the show knows what it is and it works really well. Henry Cavill is actually a massive computer fantasy game playing nerd and is really passionate about this project (which is based on the video games based on the books from about the mid-80's) and it helps the show I think.

But, not better than GoT. Few things are.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
The Witcher -- does anyone watch? My friends rave over the show, They say even better than GOT. Is that true?

As @Midnighter and @Ralphie_ said, if you like GoT you will most likely like The Witcher.

The world building and amount of characters is nowhere near as extensive, but it's straightforward fantasy in a world that could have been (or once was). S2 was probably more enjoyable than S1 for me.

GoT guest star in S2 was probably a highlight for me.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
As @Midnighter and @Ralphie_ said, if you like GoT you will most likely like The Witcher.

The world building and amount of characters is nowhere near as extensive, but it's straightforward fantasy in a world that could have been (or once was). S2 was probably more enjoyable than S1 for me.

Agree about the episode you’re referring to - great, self contained story that was fun to watch. Great monster in that one too….

TFrankCarr

Staff member
Oct 19, 2021
Anyone watching Marvel's 'Hawkeye' on Disney+? It's not as fast moving or big in scale as the previous MCU efforts on D+ (WandaVision, Loki, Falcon & Winter Soldier), but it's pretty good and Hailee Steinfeld is a nice addition as Kate Bishop. I do feel like this show would benefit from being binged in a weekend though; it's very 'small ball' compared to where we left off with Loki. Still, fun to watch.

Also, re-watching 'Deadwood' and I can't believe I forgot Bryan Cox is in S3 as a traveling thespian. After watching him on three seasons of Succession you kind of believe he's Logan Roy; you see glimpses of it from his performance as John 'Jack' Langrishe in Deadwood, but man, he and Ian McShane (and Gerald McRaney) just chew up scenes together. If ever there was a show I felt shortchanged by, it's Deadwood. The ending was so abrupt and unsatisfying and the movie was nice, but not the same.

I thought Hawkeye was excellent filler. I liked Hailee Steinfeld's character and Jeremy Renner did his usual job of being there.

One thing that is getting a bit tough to sell is the nostalgia stuff. Like, I've watched the Marvel movies since the beginning and I loved the story arc to Endgame. But now in this post-Endgame stuff it's just a bit full of self-referential beats. I get that it's trauma that they're all living through but I doesn't hit that much for me. I guess maybe I'm aging out of the demo.

TFrankCarr

Staff member
Oct 19, 2021

Well the reason Game of Thrones wasn't good is obvious. It was great for the first part, which is where the Witcher is. The good thing is that Henry Cavill is a fan of the books and games so he knows the source material well enough to be a great lead. Also, I think the books are all finished? That's a key part of how the series will, ya know, eventually end. I've been contemplating reading the books but I'm still scarred by GoT.

Scarred and waiting still.

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
Well the reason Game of Thrones wasn't good is obvious. It was great for the first part, which is where the Witcher is. The good thing is that Henry Cavill is a fan of the books and games so he knows the source material well enough to be a great lead. Also, I think the books are all finished? That's a key part of how the series will, ya know, eventually end. I've been contemplating reading the books but I'm still scarred by GoT.

Having your lead be personally in love with the source material of your project has to be a huge +++.

Let the GoT scarring go brother! Binge it again.

I'm still waiting on someone to pick up REHs Conan the Barbarian and take his short stories for source material. HBO preferably.

TFrankCarr

Staff member
Oct 19, 2021
Having your lead be personally in love with the source material of your project has to be a huge +++.

I'm still waiting on someone to pick up REHs Conan the Barbarian and take his short stories for source material. HBO preferably.
Lol it's such a long series. I've got other things to get through before I can go back. Though I now watch anything with Emilia Clark in it, even if it's bad (most of it is).

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Yeah, though ultimately an unsatisfying ending, it was the ending we were going to get whether the show ended when it did or in two more years. I think had Jon ended up on the throne more people would be okay with Dany’s death. It’s still the greatest achievement in television history and I’m not sure there is anything remotely close (when considering scale, budget, number of characters, etc.).

TFrankCarr

Staff member
Oct 19, 2021
Yeah, though ultimately an unsatisfying ending, it was the ending we were going to get whether the show ended when it did or in two more years. I think had Jon ended up on the throne more people would be okay with Dany’s death. It’s still the greatest achievement in television history and I’m not sure there is anything remotely close (when considering scale, budget, number of characters, etc.).
For sure. I also didn't like how the entire series revolved around Winter and then the battle of Winterfell was one ****** episode at the beginning of the season. Truly frustrating because I never really cared who ended up on the Throne. I felt like that was always the obstacle to the main goal then, nope! We're going to poorly execute a limp to the finish.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
For sure. I also didn't like how the entire series revolved around Winter and then the battle of Winterfell was one ****** episode at the beginning of the season. Truly frustrating because I never really cared who ended up on the Throne. I felt like that was always the obstacle to the main goal then, nope! We're going to poorly execute a limp to the finish.

Might have been limp, but it was well executed IMO.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I thought Hawkeye was excellent filler. I liked Hailee Steinfeld's character and Jeremy Renner did his usual job of being there.

One thing that is getting a bit tough to sell is the nostalgia stuff. Like, I've watched the Marvel movies since the beginning and I loved the story arc to Endgame. But now in this post-Endgame stuff it's just a bit full of self-referential beats. I get that it's trauma that they're all living through but I doesn't hit that much for me. I guess maybe I'm aging out of the demo.

I think it was necessary because of all the main Avengers who aren't sticking around, Hawkeye is the last one who needs a send-off and some closure. Cap and Iron Man got theirs, Black Widow got a movie, Hulk and Thor are still around, so Hawkeye gets a chance to pass the proverbial torch (he essentially tells Kate she's Hawkeye now at the end of the series). And, the show was partly inspired by one of the best Hawkeye comic book stories ever, so nice for fans who have been waiting for that. Marvel is formulaic though but aren't afraid to try new things it seems - Eternals was a really big risk since it didn't seem to play by the same rules as the other MCU movies.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
@Midnighter @TFrankCarr.

Are either of yall watching Book of Boba Fett?

I watched the first episode and a half; I've never been a big Boba Fett fan and don't really find him, or the actor playing him, very compelling. But, I do like what they're doing with kind of a Star Wars take on organized crime, so interested to see where it goes. Will probably pick it up once Peacemaker finishes - really loving that show and my new crush Harcourt...(played by Jennifer Holland):

VaDave4PSU

Oct 12, 2021
I watched the first episode and a half; I've never been a big Boba Fett fan and don't really find him, or the actor playing him, very compelling. But, I do like what they're doing with kind of a Star Wars take on organized crime, so interested to see where it goes. Will probably pick it up once Peacemaker finishes - really loving that show and my new crush Harcourt...(played by Jennifer Holland):

I'm not a huge Star Wars guy (probably a minority but I love the prequels the best), but really dig the expanded world. Boba is slow moving right now. Like first season Mando slow and then some. I don't mind it. Setting up some back story for a character that the casual film viewer thought was dead is good.

Burnt through Ozark S4P1 last couple days as well. That's a fun show. Marty Byrde is the man.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Shooting is done.
It’s hard to figure out when BCS will be back on the air, partly because it’s hard to screen out the clickbait. A good indication will likely be when Netflix puts on Season 5. (Season six is the last season, yet to be released.)

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
For fans of Downton Abbey, HBO Max's new Julian Fellows show 'The Gilded Age' premiered on Monday and if you like DA, you'll probably like this. It's very similar in tone and is very much about the 'low stakes of high society' but this time we're in New York City with the Astor's, Vanderbilt's, Stuyvesant's, and Roosevelt's instead of the royals of the English countryside. It looks very expensive and is well made; again, a lot of similar beats to DA including the 'upstairs/downstairs' dichotomy. The characters aren't quite as interesting yet but you do get Carrie Coon as the wife of an up and coming self-made tycoon who is desperate to break into the upper echelons of the NYC elites and her neighbor Christine Baranski as Dowager Countess doppelganger Agnes van Rhijn, who is part of said NYC elite upper crust.

Again, pretty low stakes here, but they do sprinkle in some cultural conflicts that were prevalent at the time (such as Irish as sort of second class citizens). The eye candy could use some work - there is no Mary or Sybil unfortunately.

Reactions: Ice Man and Hut1

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I was going to ask about this one too. I'll probably get to it but I'm not compelled in any way. I feel the same way about that as I did about Hawkeye. I feel like I need to watch it more than I want to watch it.
I initially thought the same way you did about the Marvel series but after watching Loki, Wanda Vision, Capt America and now Hawkeye I actually liked them better than some of the Marvel movies.
And the Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett are both very good.

WillyMO

Oct 28, 2021
I've found Servant on Apple TV to be an interesting series. M. Night Shyamalan's films can be hit or miss but this series has kept me engaged from the first episode. Three seasons.

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
I've found Servant on Apple TV to be an interesting series. M. Night Shyamalan's films can be hit or miss but this series has kept me engaged from the first episode. Three seasons.

I like the show, but I find Dorothy incredibly irritating. I haven't seen enough of Lauren Ambrose to figure out if it is the actress or the character that I dislike.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Nice pick up on the poster. It's so obvious now (they even have a black line on the floor between them). Oh, and you blew my mind with the Brian Cox/Deadwood thing. I've been trying to figure out why he was familiar and that was it.
Season finale was solid. Definitely one of the better shows going right now, although a tier below shows like Deadwood, Wire, BB, Sopranos, Justified imo.
Brian Cox was also in the first couple Jason Bourne films I believe, until his character was killed off.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure where else to put this, but since it's on TV.....

Ken Burns' documentaries are just fascinating. I am not really a Civil War buff, nor a big baseball fan, but I love watching his docs on these subjects. His docs, and I know they were done a while ago, are probably some of the better options on TV nowadays.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021

If you haven’t explored or read any Michael Moorcock books, I suggest you do. IMO, makes GOT pale in comparison. A Multiverse with various forms of an Eternal Champiom. My favorite is Elric of Melnibone, an albino warrior with a soul sucking sword named Stormbronger.. Moorcock was a favorite of some bands, including Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult, who both recorded songs and albums about Moorcock characters. Puzzles me why no one has tried to do a film series about this but it may have been tainted with GOT

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30036.Elric_of_Melnibon_

This album had lyrics written by Moorcock himself based upon some of his characters. To listen to this I suggest a good ‘brownie’ 😏

Last edited: