OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
There is some horrible acting and dialogue in this series especially with the character of Reva. Good grief amateur overacting at it’s finest. Hopefully this “Kylo-Ren” lite character gets offed soon.

Is this the character/actress getting all the hate mail? I’d be surprised if it’s because of her acting (but haven’t watched yet) given she’s been nominated for an Emmy and went to Yale School of Drama (like Edward Norton, Bryan Tyree Henry, Dan Ackroyd, Kathryn Hahn, Paul Giamatti, Jonathon Majors, Paul Newman, Meryl Streep, etc.).

Reactions: bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Is this the character/actress getting all the hate mail? I’d be surprised if it’s because of her acting (but haven’t watched yet) given she’s been nominated for an Emmy and went to Yale School of Drama (like Edward Norton, Bryan Tyree Henry, Dan Ackroyd, Kathryn Hahn, Paul Giamatti, Jonathon Majors, Paul Newman, Meryl Streep, etc.).
Yes, same character/actress and that twitter hate is f'n ridiculous. I thought the dialog was typical of Star Wars dialogue. I don't expect The Lion in Winter.:ROFLMAO:
I thought the acting was fine. Ewan McGregor is always good. I'm not a fan of child actors but I actually liked the other one.

Reactions: Midnighter

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Watch some of her scenes and you’ll see what I mean. Ain’t good. Maybe she is not cut out for a space opera?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Spy City 6 episodes , AMC + is pretty good . Berlin, Cold War, US, GB, USSR.

Will have to check it out. Love Cold War stuff. Additioinally, The Bureau on AMC+ is tremendous. But, maybe has the worst ending for a show in the history of shows. Just - awful.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
The first 2 episodes of Stranger Things is very good and the sound track is excellent.

Some good stuff in the queue - Stranger Things, The Boys, Obi-Wan, with Umbrella Academy and Peaky Blinders starting soon.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
I have never watched True Detective didn't know it's 3 seasons, worth it or not ?

Watched first episode of Mayor Of Kingstown wow ! , kind of like The Wire.

WillyMO

Oct 28, 2021
Watch some of her scenes and you’ll see what I mean. Ain’t good. Maybe she is not cut out for a space opera?
Her acting really is cringeworthy at times. I watched this with my son because he's crazy into star wars. My initial thought was an actor from Sci Fi channel.

And on top of that Obi Wan can't chase down a ten year old? Really, he's like 40 and her legs are two foot long!

Reactions: rudedude

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I finally got around to starting the Obi-Wan Kenobi series on Disney+. I watched the first 2 episodes. If you've followed this board over the years, you know I'm a huge Star Wars fan. That's partly why I was a tad hesitant to watch the series -- I prefer Star Wars on the big screen.

I thought the first 2 episodes were excellent. They're filling in some of the details of the years not addressed in any of the films, in terms of what took place after the duel on Mustafar (Star Wars: Episode III, Revenge of the Sith), where Obi-Wan nearly killed his former apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, and the original film (Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope).

Poor acting: eh, you can find some of that in any of the Star Wars films

Questionable scenes (Obi-Wan can't chase down a 10-year-old) -- I can point you to hundreds of scenes or plot twists in the films that are questionable. But the overall story in all of them (some more than others) is excellent, so you kind of suspend logic, and allow yourself to be entertained

The only reason I didn't watch the third episode is that at this point only 3 episodes are loaded/available. I wanted to leave something good to watch in the coming days.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Alright ... I need some recommendations on what to watch. Caught up on The Boys, have to wait until the whole family is available to watch each episode of Stranger Things, haven't started Obi-Wan yet (family viewing, as well). What's out there? Big fan of True Detective/Broadchurch whodunit shows. Obviously like sci-fi/Marvel type stuff. Comedies are always welcome - absurd/low-brow and high brow alike. Musicals ain't happening. Car chases suck. Historical dramas typically blow.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Alright ... I need some recommendations on what to watch. Caught up on The Boys, have to wait until the whole family is available to watch each episode of Stranger Things, haven't started Obi-Wan yet (family viewing, as well). What's out there? Big fan of True Detective/Broadchurch whodunit shows. Obviously like sci-fi/Marvel type stuff. Comedies are always welcome - absurd/low-brow and high brow alike. Musicals ain't happening. Car chases suck. Historical dramas typically blow.

Haven’t watched yet (but on the list) is ‘Under the Banner of Heaven’ on FX. Reminds me of True Detective and reviews have been solid.

Reactions: rudedude

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Maybe give Bosch and now his spinoff Legacy a try on Amazon. I liked Bosch and Legacy is also very good.
The Marvel series on Disney +, Loki, Wanda, and Capt America were all very good.
Only Murders in the Building is pretty fun.
I just finished the first half of Stranger Things and think is it is very good.
I think you'll like Obi Wan, I do.
Have you tried the other ones? The Mandolorian or Boba Fett? They are both excellent.
I would also recommend What we Do in the Shadows and Our Flag means Death.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Historical dramas I can’t stand.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Maybe give Bosch and now his spinoff Legacy a try on Amazon. I liked Bosch and Legacy is also very good.
The Marvel series on Disney +, Loki, Wanda, and Capt America were all very good.
Only Murders in the Building is pretty fun.
I just finished the first half of Stranger Things and think is it is very good.
I think you'll like Obi Wan, I do.
Have you tried the other ones? The Mandolorian or Boba Fett? They are both excellent.
I would also recommend What we Do in the Shadows and Our Flag means Death.
Everything Marvel and Star Wars universe we've seen (except Obi, which is next after finishing Stranger Things). I watched Only Murders in the Building (free Hulu trial, so not sure how I'll watch season 2) - very entertaining.

I was meaning to check out Our Flag Means Death, but forgot about it.

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
I am surprised there hasn't been more discussion about We Own This City on HBO. Jon Bernthal and the creators of the Wire are a great combination. It's also a nice casting twist to have the actor who played Marlo Stanfield on the other side as a homicide detective.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I am surprised there hasn't been more discussion about We Own This City on HBO. Jon Bernthal and the creators of the Wire are a great combination. It's also a nice casting twist to have the actor who played Marlo Stanfield on the other side as a homicide detective.
We Own This City is a very hard show to watch. (Caveat: I watched the first episode in a hotel room that had HBO and don’t have the ability to follow up.) In The Wire and Homocide: Life On the Street you at least had cops trying to do the right thing and catch the bad guys.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I haven't watched it yet but then I live in Baltimore so its kind of like a "repeat".:oops:
There is a reason why many residents of the city don't trust the po po and "The gun trace task force" is a big reason why.

Reactions: JerseyLion and Garw

JerseyLion

Oct 31, 2021
I haven't watched it yet but then I live in Baltimore so its kind of like a "repeat".:oops:
There is a reason why many residents of the city don't trust the po po and "The gun trace task force" is a big reason why.
There is a great scene where the court is unable to get qualified jurors for a trial involving a cop because so many had bad experiences and could not be impartial.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
We Own This City is "based on a true story," but I've read that it's written pretty much as it happened.
Yes. Its based on Jenkins Gun Trace Task Force. They were about as corrupt as you could get.
I think almost all of them are still locked up.
Now that I've finished Bosch Legacy and Stranger Things I might give it look.

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Which idea was considered bold, insane, and at the same time genius?

In 1951 Salvador Dalí prepares the work "Voluptas Mors" ("Pleasure of death", also known as "The skull").
1655059791075.jpeg
Conceived in partnership with Salvador Dalí, who appears with a slanted gaze in the corner, the final photographic composition highlights a surreal skull mounted with naked women.
1655059902254.jpeg
In Voluptas Mors, something like “in the pleasure of death”, is part of a series of “tableaux vivants”, living paintings, that Halsman made with Dalí in the late 40s and early 50s.
1655059992081.jpeg
These “tableaux vivants” required a lot of work. , rolls of films and hours of editing to transpose surrealist imagery into photographs.
1655060218507.jpeg
The scene of the skulls of naked women, for example, would have required more than three hours of composition and photographic attempts to sharpen Dalí’s impatience and Philippe Halsman’s obsession, as well as the deep pains in the contorted models “in the pleasure of death”, In Voluptas Mors.

When you look at the moth covering Jodie Foster’s mouth on the Slience of the Lambs poster, Dali’s painting is on its back

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
We Own This City is a very hard show to watch. (Caveat: I watched the first episode in a hotel room that had HBO and don’t have the ability to follow up.) In The Wire and Homocide: Life On the Street you at least had cops trying to do the right thing and catch the bad guys.
5 episodes in, very good.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Peaky Blinders returned to Netflix this weekend for it's sixth and final season! No spoilers, but the untimely death of Helen McCrory (Aunt Polly) is dealt with and really adds a lot of emotional weight to the story. It's four years since the last episode and Tommy no longer drinks (but, still smokes like a chimney). I'm two episodes in and taking it slow because I really don't want this series to end! I think Tommy Shelby is all time top five 'TV Show Lead Characters'.....OTTOMH, I'll add Don Draper, Raylan Givens, Walter White, and Tony Soprano. Oh and Anya Taylor-Joy has a much bigger role this year. For the better.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Peaky Blinders returned to Netflix this weekend for it's sixth and final season! No spoilers, but the untimely death of Helen McCrory (Aunt Polly) is dealt with and really adds a lot of emotional weight to the story. It's four years since the last episode and Tommy no longer drinks (but, still smokes like a chimney). I'm two episodes in and taking it slow because I really don't want this series to end! I think Tommy Shelby is all time top five 'TV Show Lead Characters'.....OTTOMH, I'll add Don Draper, Raylan Givens, Walter White, and Tony Soprano. Oh and Anya Taylor-Joy has a much bigger role this year. For the better.

the new Dark Winds series premiered last night on AMC. I liked it. Scenery is gorgeous.