Penn State - Michigan Dual Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
141: Beau Bartlett vs. Sergio Lemley (SL)

Per 1
Beau in on a low single, and lifts the leg, SL, with a whizzer, Beau has him dancing, then puts the ankle on his shoulder and gets behind on the trip for the TD, 3-0. Sl works to his feet, lift and return, and OOB with 21 sec left. SL sort of up then back down. End. RT @ 1:09 for Beau

Per 2
Beau takes bottom. He works up, and is returned. He gets to his base, and is up and out, 4-0. RT down to 32 sec for Beau. SL working undercooks to a front headlock, but loses it. Stoppage for an eye poke (Beau received) with 21 sec left. End RT @ 32 sec for Beau

Per 3
SL takes bottom. Sl to his feet and is out quickly, 4-1. Stall warning on Beau. Beau gets a low single, SL with a whizzer, and SL gets outs. SL with a single and gets behind for the TD, 4-4. Sl seemed to cut him and it's an esc and a quick TD for Beau, 7-4. SL is out, 7-5. Beau in on a low single, they scramble, and a stalemate with 17 sec. End. A 7-5 DEC for Beau

(It may have been a reversal and then a locked hands on SL instead of an esc and a TD)

24-9, PSU

Reactions: Sloepoke20

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Geez Bartlett did not look good there. Just needs a lot more offense. He should be getting bonus points against that kid. Hopefully he gets a wake up call here now. He will not be a NC wrestling like that and that’s his goal. Just didn’t seem focused tonight for whatever reason.

Reactions: ElDuce and Capkbc

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
Geez Bartlett did not look good there. Just needs a lot more offense. He should be getting bonus points against that kid. Hopefully he gets a wake up call here now.

stalled, stalled and stalled. Not sure if the "bug" is still going around the locker room

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
141: Beau Bartlett vs. Sergio Lemley (SL)

Per 1
Beau in on a low single, and lifts the leg, SL, with a whizzer, Beau has him dancing, then puts the ankle on his shoulder and gets behind on the trip for the TD, 3-0. Sl works to his feet, lift and return, and OOB with 21 sec left. SL sort of up then back down. End. RT @ 1:09 for Beau

Per 2
Beau takes bottom. He works up, and is returned. He gets to his base, and is up and out, 4-0. RT down to 32 sec for Beau. SL working undercooks to a front headlock, but loses it. Stoppage for an eye poke (Beau received) with 21 sec left. End RT @ 32 sec for Beau

Per 3
SL takes bottom. Sl to his feet and is out quickly, 4-1. Stall warning on Beau. Beau gets a low single, SL with a whizzer, and SL gets outs. SL with a single and gets behind for the TD, 4-4. Sl seemed to cut him and it's an esc and a quick TD for Beau, 7-4. SL is out, 7-5. Beau in on a low single, they scramble, and a stalemate with 17 sec. End. A 7-5 DEC for Beau

(It may have been a reversal and then a locked hands on SL instead of an esc and a TD)

24-9, PSU
Yes, it was a reversal and locked hands on SL.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
149: Davis Evans vs. Fidel Mayora (FM)

Apparently CS had some words with the clock operator. I'm not sure what happened.

Did Byers say something about Kasak being under the weather? I missed the start of his sentence.

Per 1
not much thru 1:30. Evans reaches, nothing. Evans nearly in on a single, nothing. Evans sort of shoots, nothing, but a stall call on FM. End

Per 2
FM takes bottom. he sits out. Evans throws in a leg and works FM down to his belly. FM works to his knees, then turns then to his fee and is out, 0-1. RT @ 1:02 for Evans. Ear to ear. Now a shot and a scramble, and a stalemate with 19 sec. End. RT @ 1:02 for Evans

Per 3
Evans takes bottom. He works up, and he's out in 7 sec, 1-1. RT below 1 min. Evans in on a single, to a double and gets the TD, 3-1, with 1:29 left in the period. Evans throws in a boot. FM grabs a foot, while Evans is working on ?? Stalemate with 45 sec. RT now well over 1 min for Evans. FM works up, and he's out with 37 sec, 4-2. RT is locked. FM shoots, Evans sprawls, nothing. End. With 1:50 in RT, it's a 5-2 DEC for Evans.

27-9, PSU

bohucon

Oct 31, 2021
I'm setting this up in advance, so that everyone has the info.

Please use the thread for all pre-match, in-match, and post-match discussion for the PSU - Michigan dual.

When:
Jan. 19, 6 pm EST

Where:
Crisler Center, Ann Arbor, MI

TV:
BTN

Video Streaming:
I believe if you're a BTN subscriber that you can stream the coverage using the FoxSports App. (Something I've never done, so apologies if that's incorrect.)

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-match portion of the broadcast will begin at 5:45 pm EST, with the actual dual taking place at 6 pm EST. You can access the audio stream at:

PBP:
I should be go do do PBP. Anyone else is welcome to contribute as well. As always, I remind folks that provide PBP to include scores for each dual, as well as the match score.
Good match...they all wrestled tough. Nagao just got caught, he'll be fine.. Nice to see our AD with the team.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
We won 8 out of 10 matches. That was without Carter at 174. Think he wins if he wrestled.

SurgeOne

Oct 30, 2021
149: Davis Evans vs. Fidel Mayora (FM)

Apparently CS had some words with the clock operator. I'm not sure what happened.

Did Byers say something about Kasak being under the weather? I missed the start of his sentence.

Per 1
not much thru 1:30. Evans reaches, nothing. Evans nearly in on a single, nothing. Evans sort of shoots, nothing, but a stall call on FM. End

Per 2
FM takes bottom. he sits out. Evans throws in a leg and works FM down to his belly. FM works to his knees, then turns then to his fee and is out, 0-1. RT @ 1:02 for Evans. Ear to ear. Now a shot and a scramble, and a stalemate with 19 sec. End. RT @ 1:02 for Evans

Per 3
Evans takes bottom. He works up, and he's out in 7 sec, 1-1. RT below 1 min. Evans in on a single, to a double and gets the TD, 3-1, with 1:29 left in the period. Evans throws in a boot. FM grabs a foot, while Evans is working on ?? Stalemate with 45 sec. RT now well over 1 min for Evans. FM works up, and he's out with 37 sec, 4-2. RT is locked. FM shoots, Evans sprawls, nothing. End. With 1:50 in RT, it's a 5-2 DEC for Evans.

27-9, PSU
I thought we’d win 7 or 8, turned out it wasn’t exactly the ones I thought, but…

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Byers thought he was getting Breaden Davis, now thinks it will be David Evans.

PSU wins the TD battle, 15-2

Reactions: hohmadw1978

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
David Evans it is

Q: how good did it feel to be out there
- it felt really good. It's good to get the experience. It's a blessing

Q: where are you at, in terms of growth, Tyler, etc.
- working hard, everyone is hard in the room, just learn from them. What can I get better at each day

Q: How impressed are you when you watch Mitchell Mesenbrink come in as a freshman and dominate
- it's crazy. Coach Cody said you should go out in the hallway, we don't want you to get too into the matches

Q: Talk about B. Davis, who is the Ridge Riley Award Winner
- he works hard in the room. We know what he's capable. He wrestles through every position

Q: What are the trips like for the team
- that's what makes it so special. Before the weigh-ins were were playing Mario smash something in the room

Q: Talk about MSU, a quick turnaround
- I'm sure we'll be bonding as a team, and playing more Maro

Q: Anything in particular you're concentrating on
- just watching my teammates wrestle, and get matches in and get experience

Q: You got in a few times in your match
- yeah, my cardio felt good. I have to tighten up a few things, and I'll be good

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
A few guys need to work on their finishes on takedowns. Tell you what if Aaron gets better with his finishes he could be a National Champion. He’s shooting more now just has to get the mean and nasty attitude to finish. Bernie at 184 needs that mean and nasty attitude as well. Both are right there if they make those adjustments.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Michigan wasn’t nearly what I was expecting. Their lineup looks impressive on paper, but the proof is in the pudding. They don’t have an offensive mentality and it will bite them in March.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Davis, really, really tough. Really pushed the pace. Was he chewing gum? Is that legal? I didn't know John Brown had eligibility.

Messenbrink.....shockingly good. We have had some guys who purse relentlessly and he is as good as any of them, already.

Bearclaw......great gutty performance. Up a weight against #4 and almost pulls out the win. Here is a kid who could go to plenty of places and be a scholarship starter, yet he makes all our guys better while he get better in the shadows.

Nagao, good to get that out of the way.

It must be very difficult as the Michigan coach to have so many guys content to hold center. You coach and drill and drill and coach and no matter what you do, your guys just won't move.

Reactions: Jpe6Fair

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Davis, really, really tough. Really pushed the pace. Was he chewing gum? Is that legal? I didn't know John Brown had eligibility.

Messenbrink.....shockingly good. We have had some guys who purse relentlessly and he is as good as any of them, already.

Bearclaw......great gutty performance. Up a weight against #4 and almost pulls out the win. Here is a kid who could go to plenty of places and be a scholarship starter, yet he makes all our guys better while he get better in the shadows.

Nagao, good to get that out of the way.

It must be very difficult as the Michigan coach to have so many guys content to hold center. You coach and drill and drill and coach and no matter what you do, your guys just won't move.
I’ve never heard a college coach pleading with his team to shoot and get in their offense like tonight. I was frustrated for him.

Reactions: SRATH