Penn State - Michigan Dual Thread

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
165: Michell Mesenbrink vs. Cameron Amine (CA or Amine)

Big match for Mesenbrink

Per 1
Mesenbrink on the attack right off the whistle. Stoppage for interlocking with 2:42 left. CA with undercooks, and a stoppage with 2:25 left. MM reaches for a single, nothing. CA doing nothing. 1:15 left. Stall warning on CA. Stoppage for PD with 1:00 left. CA sort of reaches, nothing. CA keeps working the edge. OOB with 21 sec and stall call on CA, 1-0. End

Per 2
CA takes bottom. MM working a half nelson, but CA get to his feet and is out, 1-1. CA working the edge again. MM shoots, and they are OOB with 1:14 left (could have called stalling there). MM reaches, nothing. Stalemate with 53 sec left. MM shoots, and a stall warning on CA, 2-0. OOB with 34 sec. MM with a double and gets the TD, 5-0. He's working a cross face and showed his forearm. End. RT @ 47 sec for Mesenbring

Per 3
Mesenbrink takes bottom. MM to his feet, and is out in 5 sec, 6-1. Mesenbrink pursues and CA goes OOB with 1:33 left, and he gets hit with stalling, 8-1. Stalemate with 1:21 left. MM shoots a double, CA sprawls. Mesenbrink spins around behind for the TD, 11-1 with 1 min left. MM train got work a tilt. RT is over 1 min for MM. MM nearly lets him go, but doesn't. MM trying to get a cradle. Nothing. End. With RT, it's a 12-1 MAJ for Mesenbrink.

Wow!

7-0, PSU
In all honesty it was a gift amine didn't get DQ, he did literally nothing on bottom for last 45 seconds

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
In all honesty it was a gift amine didn't get DQ, he did literally nothing on bottom for last 45 seconds

That is true. Speaking personally as a ref, and also speaking for a lot of conversations I've had with other refs, I know that refs really do not like to DQ a wrestler with multiple stalling calls. Angie can be somewhat inconsistent with his stall calls, but I didn't have an issue with him not DQing Amine. The better wrestler in the match won, and won comfortably.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Don’t know how Lewan thinks he can win if he never tries to score? That was terrible match to watch but was pretty much expected.
Haines should have him figured out now. He’s hard to score on but if you can FINISH Hard Haines could major him at the Big ten tournament and Nationals coming up here.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Did it seem like the ref was blowing his whistle twice when they were in the down position. Seemed confusing.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
how are they reviewing this if Michigan is out of challenges

I'm just seeing this now. (It gets pretty hectic doing PBP, and I don't have much time to read other posts.

The refs, when they are unsure about something (in college; not in HS) can decide on their own to review the tape. In the Truax match (which is what you were asking about), It was really close between being a TD and being OOB, and it wouldn't surprise me if the center ref and the assistant ref had different opinions. So the review was initiated by the refs, and it is independent of the challenge status of either team.

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Just getting to watch now.

big thoughts:
- if Amine was healthy, he should be ashamed of the performance he put in. Mesenbrink is a stud but Amine looked like he had zero interest or ability.

- Bear claws!!! What a treat. Put in a great performance. Love that guy.

- Kerk is on a new level and I just love it. Guy can do it all.

- Davis is fun as hell to watch. So nice to not lose 125 matches.

- Nagao got caught. Sucks but it happens. Was a fun match overall.

We’re on to Sparty!!

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
174: Terrell Barraclough vs. Shane Griffith (SG)

Barraclough weight in 165.8, I think Byers said

Per 1
Bear Claw sort of shoots, nothing. nothing thru 1:30. Stalemate for interlocking with 1:18 left. SG sort tries a throw-by, nothing. End

Per 2
Bear Claw defers, and SG takes bottom. SG tries a switch, blocked, then flattened. To his base, and then a stout, but Bear Claw is with him. SG works up. SG to his feet, Bear Claw throws in a leg and returns him. SG up again, and taken back down. Stoppage with 54 sec as a stall warning on Bear Claw. SG sites out, then back under, then up, and Bear Claw has him and they are dancing and then OOB with 33 sec. Caution on Bear Claw. SG hits a switch and gets a reversal, 0-2. End. RT @ 1:10 for Bear Claw. Michigan seems to have challenged that there should have been NF. On the replay, it's close, but I don't think he was past 45 degrees. Call is confirmed.

Per 3
Bear Claw takes neutral. A flurry, but nothing. Bear Claw reaches, nothing. Bear Claw in on a single, SG does a split with a whizzer. They are on the edge. SG trying to drag off the mat and Bear Claw trying to pull him in. SG gets free. End. With 1:10 in RT, it becomes a 1-2 DEC for Shane Griffith

7-3, PSU
We see what you did there 😁 In the future, feel free to ratchet it down to BC.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
yeah, no. This one is a runaway
Train GIF

• Love
Reactions: Garw

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
During the Michigan match I got assigned to ref tomorrow morning So I've got to end this, and head outside to clear the driveway.

Nice match by PSU, and I had fun doing the PBP
When we go off-season, I would be interested in learning about the process of becoming a referee and how they evaluate your performance to get higher profile matches as you progress. Thanks for your consideration.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Davis, really, really tough. Really pushed the pace. Was he chewing gum? Is that legal? I didn't know John Brown had eligibility.

Messenbrink.....shockingly good. We have had some guys who purse relentlessly and he is as good as any of them, already.

Bearclaw......great gutty performance. Up a weight against #4 and almost pulls out the win. Here is a kid who could go to plenty of places and be a scholarship starter, yet he makes all our guys better while he get better in the shadows.

Nagao, good to get that out of the way.

It must be very difficult as the Michigan coach to have so many guys content to hold center. You coach and drill and drill and coach and no matter what you do, your guys just won't move.
So, it wan't just me that noticed something going on with his mouth. I thought I was mistaken and it was just a mouthguard. So, @Tom McAndrew is chewing gum allowed in a match?

Reactions: BVSt.Paul

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I’m telling ya IF Aaron can finish his shots better he will be a National Champion. Love to see him wrestle with a mean streak. Almost seems too nice out there. Finishing Shots is the key for him at 133.

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
I froze the screen during this match and called my wife over to look at the contrast in looks. She said it’s baby face vs. the lumberjack.
The wife said it looked like an Uncle at a family reunion trying to prove to the teenagers he still had it

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lionlover
Dec 23, 2021
That is true. Speaking personally as a ref, and also speaking for a lot of conversations I've had with other refs, I know that refs really do not like to DQ a wrestler with multiple stalling calls. Angie can be somewhat inconsistent with his stall calls, but I didn't have an issue with him not DQing Amine. The better wrestler in the match won, and won comfortably.
I don't think many refs need to worry about DQ'ing because most of them rarely even call a kid 3 times in a match for stalling. My bias when I was officiating was towards action and risk-taking. If 1 kid took 3 legitimate shots without the other initiating a shot (so disregard counter-scrambling), on the 4th shot I was warning the other kid. If the non-warned wrestler kept it up and continued to initiate the action by taking 2 more, on the third additional attempt the warned kid was getting banged again. This mental set of rules was constantly running in my head regardless of the score or the time left in the match. This way I was consistent in application. I was also very clear with team in my pre-meet on stalling. 2 things were emphasized: 1) if you wrestle on the edge you will hear me yell center. If you continue to stay on the edge, expect to be called for stalling and 2) if all you want to do is score TDs off counters, fine, but expect to get called for stalling. If you hear me yell action that's your clue that one of you is on the verge of getting called for stalling. BOTH need to initiate/take-risks. Every REF is/was different.
Tom, my counter point on not DQ'ing is the "what if" and "according to plan". There are plenty of times, where a coach tells an over-matched kid to avoid bonus points for the sake of the team score. Not that it mattered last night (but it was only match #2 and you never know what can happen) but PSU should have earned 6 instead of just 4. I officiated plenty of matches during my career where the team score was close, and those extra 2 bonus points would be the difference maker. PLUS, one thing that separate wrestling from most sports is the principle of domination. Mess should have been rewarded for his relentless pursuit of a retreating Amine and Amine's complete lack of effort to try and improve his position. I would have happily DQ'd Amine for his pathetic performance and reward Mess for all his effort and risk-taking.

Reactions: lionlover and SRATH

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I don't think many refs need to worry about DQ'ing because most of them rarely even call a kid 3 times in a match for stalling. My bias when I was officiating was towards action and risk-taking. If 1 kid took 3 legitimate shots without the other initiating a shot (so disregard counter-scrambling), on the 4th shot I was warning the other kid. If the non-warned wrestler kept it up and continued to initiate the action by taking 2 more, on the third additional attempt the warned kid was getting banged again. This mental set of rules was constantly running in my head regardless of the score or the time left in the match. This way I was consistent in application. I was also very clear with team in my pre-meet on stalling. 2 things were emphasized: 1) if you wrestle on the edge you will hear me yell center. If you continue to stay on the edge, expect to be called for stalling and 2) if all you want to do is score TDs off counters, fine, but expect to get called for stalling. If you hear me yell action that's your clue that one of you is on the verge of getting called for stalling. BOTH need to initiate/take-risks. Every REF is/was different.
Tom, my counter point on not DQ'ing is the "what if" and "according to plan". There are plenty of times, where a coach tells an over-matched kid to avoid bonus points for the sake of the team score. Not that it mattered last night (but it was only match #2 and you never know what can happen) but PSU should have earned 6 instead of just 4. I officiated plenty of matches during my career where the team score was close, and those extra 2 bonus points would be the difference maker. PLUS, one thing that separate wrestling from most sports is the principle of domination. Mess should have been rewarded for his relentless pursuit of a retreating Amine and Amine's complete lack of effort to try and improve his position. I would have happily DQ'd Amine for his pathetic performance and reward Mess for all his effort and risk-taking.
He should have been DQ in a lot of matches. Talking about 157 and Amine at 165. Takes fans screaming at them to call it many times….

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
I froze the screen during this match and called my wife over to look at the contrast in looks. She said it’s baby face vs. the lumberjack.
My immediate thought was “Baby Face vs Caveman”! What a a great match!

While I presume Braedan is about 19… his face looks 12…his wrestling looks 24!

Reactions: lionlover and PO60

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
The bite which is what I thought had happened - why didn’t the ref seem to care? Surely biting isn’t a normal part of a match?

The last PSU guy who was bitten is about to win his fourth national championship. Amine is going to have trouble breathing his week because MM made sure his nose was in his ear with the second cross face.

Carter's comments are gold. For all the imports they have, Michigan's team is not amaizing.

I have seen comments in various places about Haines and Bartlett not looking great. They don't need to be great at the end of January. I suspect they are wrestling tired every match. They will be fine in March. Don't agree, save this post. Trust Cael & Co

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
165: Michell Mesenbrink vs. Cameron Amine (CA or Amine)

Big match for Mesenbrink

Per 1
Mesenbrink on the attack right off the whistle. Stoppage for interlocking with 2:42 left. CA with undercooks, and a stoppage with 2:25 left. MM reaches for a single, nothing. CA doing nothing. 1:15 left. Stall warning on CA. Stoppage for PD with 1:00 left. CA sort of reaches, nothing. CA keeps working the edge. OOB with 21 sec and stall call on CA, 1-0. End

Per 2
CA takes bottom. MM working a half nelson, but CA get to his feet and is out, 1-1. CA working the edge again. MM shoots, and they are OOB with 1:14 left (could have called stalling there). MM reaches, nothing. Stalemate with 53 sec left. MM shoots, and a stall warning on CA, 2-0. OOB with 34 sec. MM with a double and gets the TD, 5-0. He's working a cross face and showed his forearm. End. RT @ 47 sec for Mesenbrink

Per 3
Mesenbrink takes bottom. MM to his feet, and is out in 5 sec, 6-1. Mesenbrink pursues and CA goes OOB with 1:33 left, and he gets hit with stalling, 8-1. Stalemate with 1:21 left. MM shoots a double, CA sprawls. Mesenbrink spins around behind for the TD, 11-1 with 1 min left. MM trying to work a tilt. RT is over 1 min for MM. MM nearly lets him go, but doesn't. MM trying to get a cradle. Nothing. End. With RT, it's a 12-1 MAJ for Mesenbrink.

Wow!

7-0, PSU

I meant to comment about this after the dual. In general, the only time wrestlers show the forearm to the ref is when they feel they were bitten. It's a tough infraction for refs, as there are times when teeth marks in the forearm are just evidence of a good crossface across the mouth, and there are times when they are evidence of a wrestler biting the wrestler that shows you the forearm. The instruction that experienced refs pass along in terms of how to handle these situations is 1) make sure there are two sets of teeth marks (upper and lower) for biting calls, and 2) do your best to watch what happens in the mouth area when the top guy's forearm gets near the bottom guy's mouth.

I wasn't sure what happened in the Mesenbrink - Amine match that caused Mesenbrink to show the ref his forearm, but based on my experience, I was pretty sure that Mesenbrink was trying to show that he felt Amine had bit him.

I've stated many times over the years that still photos are not great for evaluating wrestling, as it's a dynamic sport, and you have to look at the big picture and the sequence to be able to evaluate things. That caveat still holds, for the below picture. I'd have to see if this was an incidental thing in the act of wrestling, or a deliberate action by Amine.

Last edited:

Piketownman

Oct 8, 2021
Anybody watch Iowa/Purdue afterwards? Watched 2 matches and I thought Malik Amine did a good job with his commentary.

Reactions: Hartzie

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
The instruction that experienced refs pass along in terms of how to handle these situations is 1) make sure there are two sets of teeth marks (upper and lower) for biting calls, and 2) do your best to watch what happens in the mouth area when the top guy's forearm gets near the bottom guy's mouth.

I wasn't sure what happened in the Mesenbrink - Amine match that caused Mesenbrink to show the ref his forearm, but based on my experience, I was pretty sure that Mesenbrink was trying to show that he felt Amine had bit him.

I've stated many times over the years that still photos are not great for evaluating wrestling, as it's a dynamic sport, and you have to look at the big picture and the sequence to be able to evaluate things. That caveat still holds, for the below picture. I'd have to see if this was an incidental thing in the act of wrestling, or a deliberate action by Amine.

What is the protocol when a wrestler complains about being bitten in his balls? Do you set up a privacy tent to check out his balls?

• Wow
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Latest posts