Penn State - Rutgers dual thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm setting this up in advance, so that everyone has the info. Plus, I'm on vacation, and will be boarding a flight around the time of the first whistle.

Please use the thread for all pre-match, in-match, and post-match discussion for the PSU - Rutgers dual.

When:
Feb 12, 7:00 pm EST

Where:
Bryce Jordan Center, State College, PA

TV:
BTN

Video Streaming:
Those that are BTN subscribers should be able to stream the coverage via the Fox Sports App

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-match portion of the broadcast will begin at 6:45 pm EST, with the actual dual taking place at 7:00 pm EST. You can access the audio stream at:

PBP:
I'm out for PBP, as I'll be boarding a flight around the start of the match, and the earlier version of the same flight did not have Wi-Fi. @GregPickel has indicated he'll cover the matches, and I hope others will contribute. As always, I remind folks that provide PBP to include scores for each dual, as well as the match score.

Reactions: ElDuce

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

Hopefully not true, little worried about Carter's post season eligibility.

Trying to confirm this but haven’t been able to yet. Would certainly be a disappointment but obviously we’ll have to await the details.

1Maddog

Oct 31, 2021

Hopefully not true, little worried about Carter's post season eligibility.

Doesn’t affect eligibility, there is no minimum number of matches required. It may result in one less allocated spot at that weight for the B1G, but Carter will surely finish high enough in the tournament to qualify for Nationals

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Doesn’t affect eligibility, there is no minimum number of matches required. It may result in one less allocated spot at that weight for the B1G, but Carter will surely finish high enough in the tournament to qualify for Nationals
They have enough matches for allotment. Need 8 for coaches poll and win percent. May not have enough for rpi for seeding for Nationals. Need 15. Need to meet 2 of 3 for allotment.

1Maddog

Oct 31, 2021
They have enough matches for allotment. Need 8 for coaches poll and win percent. May not have enough for rpi for seeding for Nationals. Need 15. Need to meet 2 of 3 for allotment.
Right, CStar has nine matches now per PSU website. For some reason I thought he only had seven.

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
They have enough matches for allotment. Need 8 for coaches poll and win percent. May not have enough for rpi for seeding for Nationals. Need 15. Need to meet 2 of 3 for allotment
thank you for clarification, so other Big 10 schools could be effected.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
thank you for clarification, so other Big 10 schools could be effected.
I think the only wrestler with less than 8 at his weight class is kasak, and I think he has 7. So the only thing that the lack of matches affects is, PSU wrestlers seeds at nationals, if they have less than 15, they wouldn't be eligible for rpi. If they have 8 at weight class they can qualify the weight for the conference.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Here is allotment info

Attachments

• 2023-24D1MWR_QualifierAllocationCriteria.pdf
    72.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Love

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Is someone doing PBP tonight or at least post team score once in a while? Sitting in ER with younger son who is DKA with his diabetes. Don't know yet if he will be admitted. TYVM.

• Sad
Reactions: lionlover

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Is someone doing PBP tonight or at least post team score once in a while? Sitting in ER with younger son who is DKA with his diabetes. Don't know yet if he will be admitted. TYVM.
Yes, I will have you covered. I hope everything goes as well as possible, sorry to read this!

Reactions: PSU_Lions_84

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Here are the matchups listed on Track:

Weight
SummaryPSURUT
125Braeden Davis (Penn State) vs. Dean Peterson (Rutgers)00
133Aaron Nagao (Penn State) vs. Dylan Shawver (Rutgers)00
141Beau Bartlett (Penn State) vs. Max Hermes (Rutgers)00
149Tyler Kasak (Penn State) vs. Michael Cetta (Rutgers)00
157Levi Haines (Penn State) vs. Dylan Weaver (Rutgers)00
165Mitchell Mesenbrink (Penn State) vs. Anthony White (Rutgers)00
174Terrell Barraclough (Penn State) vs. Jackson Turley (Rutgers)00
184Bernie Truax (Penn State) vs. Shane Cartagena-Walsh (Rutgers)00
197Aaron Brooks (Penn State) vs. Michael Toranzo (Rutgers)00
285Greg Kerkvliet (Penn State) vs. Yaraslau Slavikouski (Rutgers)

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Well, it appears that my flight is delayed, so I'm stuck in an airport terminal. I'm not sure if the airport Wi-Fi will be sufficient to stream the dual, but I'll try.

Don't count on me for PBP. Too many variables in my situation.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Well, it appears that my flight is delayed, so I'm stuck in an airport terminal. I'm not sure if the airport Wi-Fi will be sufficient to stream the dual, but I'll try.

Don't count on me for PBP. Too many variables in my situation.
Yuck! I hate when that happens. Good luck Tom. I am here and ready to roll.

Reactions: Bwifan

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Byers is on the air. Going through the lineup, so far it’s as posted above.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Aaron Brooks is also under the weather but at least weighed in. If not, Penn State also weighed in Lucas Cochran and Josh Barr at 197. Byers believes it would be Cochran if no AB.

Reactions: 1Maddog

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Greg Kerkvliet weighed in but is also not feeling well. AJ Frichhione will wrestle if Kerkvliet cannot.

Reactions: 1Maddog

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Byers says it’s 12,000 or so. Lower bowl is mostly full, upper middle is good, but lots of empty seats up there outside of the ends.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Yeah, I got the stream to work on my computer in the airport terminal.

Davis looks good in the black and pink uni

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
125: Braeden Davis vs. Dean Peterson

After a scoreless first, Peterson is down to start the second. Davis gets 52 seconds of riding time before Peterson escapes for a 1-0 lead. Davis escaped quickly to start the third and tie things at 1-1. Davis is in on a shot then with about 1:20 left and it’s a good one. Peterson scrambles terrifically but Davis stays on the single leg and Davis keeps working and is trying to beat Peterson’s whizzer. Davis tries to get behind and Peterson counters and nearly gets his own takedown but it’s not awarding and the horn sounds. Rutgers threw the challenge brick but the ref says there is no video review at this match. It’s not exactly clear why. The announcers seemed as surprised as anyone. Davis shoots early and scores 18 seconds in to win, 4-1

PSU 3, Rutger 0 after 125.