Penn State - Rutgers dual thread

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Need to ask about the no video review......really bad look.
I agree, and quite frankly the B1G needs to at least publicly wag the finger. The fact that Rutgers was still given a challenge brick was comedically bad.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the anklets? It seems pretty hit of miss if they are used in the B1G duals that I have seen this year.

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Plenty of people to make noise. Can’t blame it on bjc when Rutgers coach voice echoing through the rafters.
The majority of PSU's wrestling fans may be old and subdued...but, they travel well.

bored episode 11 GIF

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I agree, and quite frankly the B1G needs to at least publicly wag the finger. The fact that Rutgers was still given a challenge brick was comedically bad.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the anklets? It seems pretty hit of miss if they are used in the B1G duals that I have seen this year.
This is a Kraft question. PSU athletics has a basic obligation to have this feed along with the BT. We have all these lights aound the raised Matt and other stuff but no video???

If this were a football game, would they play?????

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
This is a Kraft question. PSU athletics has a basic obligation to have this feed along with the BT. We have all these lights aound the raised Matt and other stuff but no video???

If this were a football game, would they play?????
I realize that you have to ask Cael about it because he's the one at the interview table, but the reporters need to follow up with the ADs office to find out what went wrong. It's not the coach's job to ensure that the required video is working.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
The 2014 Ohio State-PSU game says hello.
I would like to thank your for reminding me of that long forgotten boil.................

Blown calls are not the same as not being able to even review the play.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I would like to thank your for reminding me of that long forgotten boil.................

Blown calls are not the same as not being able to even review the play.
They were unable to fully review the “interception” because of replay technical difficulties.

Reactions: SRATH

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
How is it possible that I hear Rutgers coaches coaching clearly when there are 8-9k psu fans at the meet. Man when they pan the crowd people are just sitting on their hands.

wake up people!! Rutgers came to wrestle!!
I was in section 124 and couldn't believe the number of people sitting near me didn't even clap their hands after a pin.

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
It’s my understanding that the reason that there was no video review was because the meet was a ‘throwback’ to the time of black and pink school colors. There was No video during that period so therefore No video reviews. Simple.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I could have put this in the Social Media thread, but the interview with Nick Lee took place during the PSU - Rutgers dual, so it seemed appropriate to post it in the dual thread.

Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

DavidM

Oct 13, 2021
Fair disclosure: I'm both older than dirt AND I cheer like a fiend whenever I attend a Penn State athletic event. HOWEVER, I'm wondering if some of you would rather that the older silent fans would simply stay home and leave the seats vacant and the tickets unsold? All any of us has any control over is what WE do. Other folks are gonna do whatever they're gonna do.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I'll get roasted for this.........

I chuckle when Cael complains about the lack of noise. I suspect this is very dry humor from the guy who most of the time looks completely disinterested at a match.

Sadly, I won't be there this weekend and my cheering against Edinboro won't determine the outcome.

BeerLion

Oct 12, 2021
Fair disclosure: I'm both older than dirt AND I cheer like a fiend whenever I attend a Penn State athletic event. HOWEVER, I'm wondering if some of you would rather that the older silent fans would simply stay home and leave the seats vacant and the tickets unsold? All any of us has any control over is what WE do. Other folks are gonna do whatever they're gonna do.
This is a puzzling topic to me. I have been to hundreds of wrestling matches. Me an all my brothers wrestled and my boys have wrestled and my youngest(14) is still wrestling. I find that during the dual meets, that unless something is happening, it is fairly quiet. There are some ooos and ahhhhs and cheers for takedowns, escapes, someone about to turn an opponent, etc. But while the guys are on their feet or riding, outside of an occasional yell of encouragement, there is not much "cheering". I am not sure how I should cheer at those times in a match. I suppose I could be like the crazy moms when my kids were about 8 yelling Get up!, Joey GET up! GET UP JOEY! They always made me laugh. I agree with DavidM, you can only control you and happy to see asses in the seats. But I do wonder how some people can come to a sporting event and really show no emotion regardless of what is happening. I think wrestling is a pretty exciting event to attend. I have been to several duals at the BJC and always thought it was a great crowd and experience. I still list the OSU vs PSU match at the BJC in I think 2016 was the greatest sporting event I think I have ever attended.

Bosco2

Oct 25, 2021
Second that @Tgar. The people in my section told me that I was making too much noise and to sit down when I applauded for each wrestler. I will be 68 next month.

This was my first wrestling match in person since my sophomore year which was 1975.
I was really surprised at the lack of emotion during the match by the majority of the fans around me.
I attend football games with some friends that are in their 40s(I'm 75) and they're the same way. I cannot for the life of me understand that total lack of emotion at an event like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: hohmadw1978

MadChill

Oct 9, 2021
This is a puzzling topic to me. I have been to hundreds of wrestling matches. Me an all my brothers wrestled and my boys have wrestled and my youngest(14) is still wrestling. I find that during the dual meets, that unless something is happening, it is fairly quiet. There are some ooos and ahhhhs and cheers for takedowns, escapes, someone about to turn an opponent, etc. But while the guys are on their feet or riding, outside of an occasional yell of encouragement, there is not much "cheering". I am not sure how I should cheer at those times in a match. I suppose I could be like the crazy moms when my kids were about 8 yelling Get up!, Joey GET up! GET UP JOEY! They always made me laugh. I agree with DavidM, you can only control you and happy to see asses in the seats. But I do wonder how some people can come to a sporting event and really show no emotion regardless of what is happening. I think wrestling is a pretty exciting event to attend. I have been to several duals at the BJC and always thought it was a great crowd and experience. I still list the OSU vs PSU match at the BJC in I think 2016 was the greatest sporting event I think I have ever attended.
Watch an international soccer match, especially a 1-0 match, and you'll see what PSU would like to emulate at a wrestling match. Soccer has up to 90 minutes of very limited action, but people in the stands are beating on drums, waving flags, chanting and singing throughout, as if it might be the last match they ever attend.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
It appears that the PSU - Rutgers dual had 99,000 viewers on BTN. By comparison, the PSU - Iowa dual a few days before had 245,000 viewers on BTN -- the highest viewing numbers for a dual on TV this season.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Just a follow-up on the video saga. I've mentioned before that I know somebody that's really high up in the hierarchy of NCAA wrestling, and is a former ref. I don't see this person too often, but did earlier today, and asked him about this situation.

As everyone assumed/guessed, the home school is responsible for having video review at the match. That said, per my contact, it's not as uncommon as one might expect that it isn't working for a dual, or goes down at some point in a dual.

Also, there was a lot of speculation about how Rutgers didn't know about the situation and threw the brick. It turns out that the ref IS NOT supposed to tell the visiting team if video review is not available. I didn't get all the specifics here, but I think (piecing together things that were said; not certain I have it all correct) that this is in part because the video review can go down at any point, that even if it's down when the ref checks it pre-match it may be functional when a brick is thrown, etc.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Just a follow-up on the video saga. I've mentioned before that I know somebody that's really high up in the hierarchy of NCAA wrestling, and is a former ref. I don't see this person too often, but did earlier today, and asked him about this situation.

As everyone assumed/guessed, the he home school is responsible for having video review at the match. That said, per my contact, it's not as uncommon as one might expect that it isn't working for a dual, or goes down at some point in a dual.

Also, there was a lot of speculation about how Rutgers didn't know about the situation and threw the brick. It turns out that the ref IS NOT supposed to tell the visiting team if video review is not available. I didn't get all the specifics here, but I think (piecing together things that were said; not certain I have it all correct) that this is in part because the video review can go down at any point, that even if it's down when the ref checks it pre-match it may be functional when a brick is thrown, etc.
So we can get apps on our phones that can evaluate our EKG rhythms and notify us of abnormalities and change our home heat/AC while in a different state through an app, but we can’t pull off a video review in house during a sporting event? Doesn’t make much sense.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
So we can get apps on our phones that can evaluate our EKG rhythms and notify us of abnormalities and change our home heat/AC while in a different state through an app, but we can’t pull off a video review in house during a sporting event? Doesn’t make much sense.

I used this in another thread, but I think it applies here.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

What doesn't make sense? That things that are not set up and tested all the time, might occasionally not work?

Reactions: Parks22

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
It's amazing that apps never crash, phones never freeze, and autocorrect is never wrong.

I'm not sure I understand why the ref(s) are not allowed to tell the teams if the review feed isn't working.

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
…and how about this old refrain…”They can put a man on the moon, but they can’t…!”

• Haha
Reactions: manatree and LB99