Penn State - Rutgers dual thread

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
184: Bernie Truax vs Shane Cartagena-Walsh

Truax opens the match with a takedown and starts racking up the riding time. He now leads 5-0 in the second and has over two minutes of riding time. 6-0 now for Truax after another stall call on SCW.

Truax wins 7-0. PSU leads 26-3.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
165: Mitchell Mesenbrink welcome against Anthony White

Sorry folks. WiFi went out as the rain picked up a bit here. Just got back in business. Mesenbrink leads 6-1 after one. Sorry I have no idea how other than two takedowns for the Nittany Lion and an escape.

He is over two minutes of riding time in the second with 1:26 left in the period before White escapes to 6-2 and then MM is right back in on the legs for a 9-2 lead. Mesenbrink is running an arm bar but runs out of time. He did get a stall point for a 10-2 lead.

To start the third MM is down. He is out and then gets a takedown and cuts to 14-3. Gets another takedown to 17-3 with 45 seconds left. MM tilts for the tech fall from there.

PSU 20, Rutgers 3
MM just has to watch he doesnt get too aggressive. He self admits he gets extended. The top 2 guys will expose him if he’s not smart.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
285: Cochran vs Yara Slavikouski

Cochran has the first takedown much to the delight of his teammates and leads 3-0 before YS gets out to 3-1 after one.

Cochran out to 4-1 quickly in the second and is right back in on a single that YS tries to fight off as LC works and potentially dangerous stops the action with a minute left in the period.

Cochran gives up an escape but then takes down YS for a 7-2 lead in the third. YS is out to 7-3 with a minute to go. Cochran wins it by upset 8-3

PSU wins 35-3.

Oct 12, 2021
Does anyone know how much weight Cochran was giving up to the Rutgers heavyweight? It appeared significant, Cassaresque.

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Plenty of people to make noise. Can’t blame it on bjc when Rutgers coach voice echoing through the rafters.
having spent the evening inside the BJC, the Rutgers coach was incredibly animated early. By and large, I thought the crowd was pretty into it, the students and various cheer units etc really helped. BearClaw at 174 received a rousing round of applause in part ( imho ) to acknowledge his accomplishments while sticking with it. His moment. it was great, he also pulled an upset of sorts.

A big problem is the abundance of 60 year old and over males and their spouses if they bring them but it is mostly men. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, all sitting there with their arms crossed glued to their rib cages. Tgar is 66 and came home hoarse. So many old guys sitting, whispering, looking at their phones, with big fat harumph looks on their faces.

Most of them look like they would be happier pushing the grocery cart around with their spouses in Walmart. As Tgar said to his buddy, these guys would be a drag at a wedding as well. It’s who they are. They don’t participate, they don’t yell, they watch As if getting crazy once in a while would be met with scorn by the Mrs, the Minister, satan, Jesus or Even the dog. 6,000 quite, guys sitting in their asses can suck a lot of energy out of a room Whether it’s Rec Hall or The BJC.

Will it ever change? Who knows. It would be nice but doubtful.

Last edited:

hohmadw1978

Oct 7, 2021
having spent the evening inside the BJC, the Rutgers coach was incredibly animated early. By and large, I thought the crowd was pretty into it, the students and various cheer units etc really helped. BearClaw at 174 received a rousing round of applause in part ( imho ) to acknowledge his accomplishments while sticking with it. His moment. it was great, he also pulled an upset of sorts.

A big problem is the abundance of 60 year old and over males and their spouses if they bring them but it is mostly men. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, all sitting there with their arms crossed glued to their rib cages. Tgar is 66 and came home hoarse. So many old guys sitting, whispering, looking at their phones, with big fat harumph looks on their faces.

Most of them look like they would be happier pushing the grocery cart around with their spouses in Walmart. As Tgar said to his buddy, these guys would be a drag at a wedding as well. It’s who they are. They don’t participate, they don’t yell, they watch As if getting crazy once in a while would be met with scorn by the Mrs, the Minister, satan, Jesus or Even the dog. 6,000 quite, guys sitting in their asses can suck a lot of energy out of a room Whether it’s Rec Hall or The BJC.

Second that @Tgar. The people in my section told me that I was making too much noise and to sit down when I applauded for each wrestler. I will be 68 next month.

This was my first wrestling match in person since my sophomore year which was 1975.
I was really surprised at the lack of emotion during the match by the majority of the fans around me.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Braeden Davis - Dean Peterson
Aaron Nagao - Dylan Shawver
Levi Haines - Dylan Weaver
Terrell Barraclough - Jackson Turley
Aaron Brooks - Michael Toranzo

Reactions: Bing77

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021

You just described the older male population in Central PA to a “T”. God forbid anyone actually cheer or raise a ruckus at a PSU sporting event. It might offend the blue hair down in front crowd. Hell, I may even take the crowd at Carver-Hawkeye over PSU, at least they show some passion.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Second that @Tgar. The people in my section told me that I was making too much noise and to sit down when I applauded for each wrestler. I will be 68 next month.

This was my first wrestling match in person since my sophomore year which was 1975.
I was really surprised at the lack of emotion during the match by the majority of the fans around me.
Lol. That’s exactly what Cael’s been saying. He wants a lot more fan’s to show emotions before, during, and after matches. Our wrestlers feed off that energy….

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
You just described the older male population in Central PA to a “T”. God forbid anyone actually cheer or raise a ruckus at a PSU sporting event. It might offend the blue hair down in front crowd. Hell, I may even take the crowd at Carver-Hawkeye over PSU, at least they show some passion.
Exactly what Cael’s been pleading over with us. If you don’t want to show emotions i would recommend staying home. That’s what makes wrestling matches fan. Can’t wait till the Big ten tournament in Maryland. Gotta take care of a good Nebraska team at home first next week.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I understand the sentiment that yinz and youse want a noisy atmosphere, and I do as well. However, if they don’t want to cheer, fine by me. If they don’t want to wear whatever Hello Kitty synchronized t-shirt was selected for that day, who cares? My only fear is that eventually someone in the department will decide to give home duals the full on Guido treatment because they want a better environment.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Need to ask about the no video review......really bad look.

Team wrestled great and it was a pretty decent crowd for a Monday after the football game.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul

Latest posts