PSU Football: Do you demand excellence or are you satisfied with mediocrity?

PSU Football: Do you demand excellence or are you satisfied with mediocrity?

• Excellence

• Mediocrity

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021
Excellence. I am tired of PSU losing 78% of their games against peers Ohio State and Michigan. Enough is enough.

LafayetteBear

Oct 12, 2021
Let’s settle this once and for all.

I’m fine with mediocrity for PSU Football. Excellence is hard and intimidating. I can associate with mediocrity. That’s who I am (on a good day). They also say that it’s lonely at the top. I don’t want to be alone.

What about you?
Bob: I'm a Cal alum, and have therefore been a fan of Cal football for 45 years. For that reason:

1. I would be frickin' THRILLED with mediocrity when it comes to Cal football, but I am no longer as vested in Cal football as I am in PSU football. Call me a pragmatist.

2. I root for Penn State football because, like PSUSignore, I want to support a team that pisses excellence. And I think the Lions for the most part DO just that.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Test driving this Saturday

Where does one drive something like that?
Philly Lotus but invite only (I’m an early depositor for the AMG, 2024 delivery)

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Bob: I'm a Cal alum, and have therefore been a fan of Cal football for 45 years. For that reason:

1. I would be frickin' THRILLED with mediocrity when it comes to Cal football, but I am no longer as vested in Cal football as I am in PSU football. Call me a pragmatist.

2. I root for Penn State football because, like PSUSignore, I want to support a team that pisses excellence. And I think the Lions for the most part DO just that.
I’ll allow it

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Philly Lotus but invite only (I’m an early depositor for the AMG, 2024 delivery)
Actually I meant after purchase. But I guess that is moot. I'll be interested in your assessment of its excellence (or mediocrity since you have chosen a different car).

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Actually I meant after purchase. But I guess that is moot. I'll be interested in your assessment of its excellence (or mediocrity since you have chosen a different car).
I’m in DE now pretty mild winters I’ll put snow tires on it and daily drive it. It will be my only car

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Excellence. I am tired of PSU losing 78% of their games against peers Ohio State and Michigan. Enough is enough.
Can you point to this long era where PSU was winning 78% of their games against UM or tOSU? I guess I missed it as hasn't occurred since PSU joined the B1G. LSU lost to Bama 8 straight times before winning their last title. Tons of UM fans wanted Harbaugh gone just 2 years ago since he couldn't beat tOSU and they were just a mediocre program. You can keep spouting out your BS or maybe you'll realize that only one team in CFB history has a winning percentage of over 50% against ranked teams and it is like 50.01%. We all want to see a title, but using this year to cry about is kind of odd. This world outside of the PSU box offers some reality if people choose to poke their head out.

Last edited:

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
I did the research since 2000 - https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/thoughts-from-the-couch….730348/page-4#post-11788550

National Championship Teams since 2000 - and number of years the HC took to win it (first time winners in bold):

2000 - Oklahoma, Bob Stoops - 2
2001 - Miami, FL, Larry Coker - 1
2002 - Ohio State, Jim Tressel - 2
2003 - LSU, Nick Saban - 4, USC, Pete Carroll - 3

2004 - USC, Pete Carroll - 4
2005 - Texas, Mack Brown - 8
2006 - Florida, Urban Meyer - 2
2007 - LSU, Les Miles - 3

2008 - Florida, Urban Meyer - 4
2009 - Alabama, Nick Saban - 3
2010 - Auburn, Gene Chizik - 2
2011 - Alabama, Nick Saban - 5
2012 - Alabama, Nick Saban - 6
2013 - Florida State, Jimbo Fisher - 4
2014 - Ohio State, Urban Meyer - 3
2015 - Alabama, Nick Saban - 9
2016 - Clemson, Dabo Swinney - 8
2017 - Alabama, Nick Saban - 11
2018 - Clemson, Dabo Swinney - 10
2019 - LSU, Ed Orgeron - 3
2020 - Alabama, Nick Saban - 14
2021 - Georgia, Kirby Smart - 6

Average time to win a first National Championship is about 3.6 years. All power five conferences represented. Seems like if you don't win one early, you won't.
Yep. I'd read this years ago, basically if a coach doesn't win an NC in a short time after taking the reins, he never will. Smart, Swinney, and Brown are actually outliers (all above the average timespan). Also, looking at this list, if you're a coach wanting to win an NC, moving South would be a good career move.

Reactions: Midnighter

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Can you point to this long era where PSU was winning 78% of their games against UM or tOSU? I guess I missed it as hasn't occurred since PSU joined the B1G. LSU lost to Bama 8 straight times before winning their last title. Tons of UM fans wanted Harbaugh gone just 2 years ago since he couldn't beat tOSU and they were just a mediocre program. You can keep spouting out your BS or maybe you'll realize that only one team in CFB history has a winning percentage of over 50% against ranked teams and it is like 50.01%. We all want to see a title, but using this year to cry about is kind of odd. This world outside of the PSU box offers some reality if people choose to poke their head out.
"We deserve better." :unsure: .....why?

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I mean, we're both right, but you're changing my thesis which is that if you are going to win a NC, it is likely to happen in the first four years. Your counter is, 'Other teams have changed coaches and not won NCs within four years.' Both true. I am not saying, but which you are implying, is that a coaching change guarantees a National Championship. It doesn't. But, you're not disproving my point - you're simply pointing out that other coaching changes happen, which is true. Also true that winning a NC, by it's nature (since only one team can win a year) is a statistical outlier. I also later qualified that this 'four year window' is limited to about two dozen teams who realistically have a chance at winning a NC. Even then, a coaching change doesn't guarantee a NC.

Additionally, I do think this is part of the reason you see teams willing to fire coaches mid-season and after only a few years. With the portal, NIL, and upcoming playoff changes, I have no idea how this will go. But, Riley and USC could get in the CFP and win it all in one year (thanks to NIL and the portal). So, who knows if past precedent will hold, but my guess is it will. Ryan Day is at that point now....
It's a completely different world now with the portal and the past numbers don't mean hardly anything. Riley transfered in 26 players with him and has a chance to win in year one. Unless rules change, I'd expect to see more of this, especially with NIL money.

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
Yep. I'd read this years ago, basically if a coach doesn't win an NC in a short time after taking the reins, he never will. Smart, Swinney, and Brown are actually outliers (all above the average timespan). Also, looking at this list, if you're a coach wanting to win an NC, moving South would be a good career move.
Not many coaches seem to last at a school for more than a short time.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I demand better WiFi at Beaver Stadium. Everything else is icing on the cake or gravy if you prefer.

Our WiFi isn‘t even mediocre. I went to the ohio u game this season and couldn’t connect the entire game.

I thought Franklin was pushing for facility upgrades. 🙄

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Under today's format Joe likely plays for at least four more National Championships ('68, '69, '73, '94). Good chance Joe wins a National Championship less than four years after becoming HC.

The article is a few years old. Inspired when Alabama won the national championship without even winning their division let alone an SEC title.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Moogy is who I want to impress. FYI

Oh, lawhatever, you had me impressed back in the days when you were trying to brag about all of you, and your wife's (aka your mother's) travels ... and you had yourself overseas, in CA, and 2 other destinations for extended periods, all at the same time. You lost a little luster when you posted photos of your pondside trailerpark abode, but now you've totally redeemed yourself by speaking gibberish and posting white trash dreams.

You're a man who DESERVES excellence, no doubt.

• Haha
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
It's a completely different world now with the portal and the past numbers don't mean hardly anything. Riley transfered in 26 players with him and has a chance to win in year one. Unless rules change, I'd expect to see more of this, especially with NIL money.

Right - which is more emphasis on 'winning now'. Schools don't want to wait two decades for their coach to finally win one. And, to your point, Riley could do it this year given the infrastructure exists to allow for a quick accumulation of talent. I guess we'll see how things go, but schools willing to 'pay' are the ones who are going to win. Michigan winning this year would be a victory for tradition IMO.

Reactions: PSUJam

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Right - which is more emphasis on 'winning now'. Schools don't want to wait two decades for their coach to finally win one. And, to your point, Riley could do it this year given the infrastructure exists to allow for a quick accumulation of talent. I guess we'll see how things go, but schools willing to 'pay' are the ones who are going to win. Michigan winning this year would be a victory for tradition IMO.
Indeed. Dykes at TCU transfered in 14 as well.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Oh, lawhatever, you had me impressed back in the days when you were trying to brag about all of you, and your wife's (aka your mother's) travels ... and you had yourself overseas, in CA, and 2 other destinations for extended periods, all at the same time. You lost a little luster when you posted photos of your pondside trailerpark abode, but now you've totally redeemed yourself by speaking gibberish and posting white trash dreams.

You're a man who DESERVES excellence, no doubt.
Say Hopat is white trash one more damn time….

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Funny that for a board so against participation trophies many are happy to support just that when it comes to Penn State football. IMO, Penn State had an excellent year save the OSU game, which could have been very different if not for the insane number of turnovers. I think we all know Franklin can get this team to the door of the CFP and will probably have Penn State in the year one expanded playoff. I voted for excellence - LFG.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Funny that for a board so against participation trophies many are happy to support just that when it comes to Penn State football. IMO, Penn State had an excellent year save the OSU game, which could have been very different if not for the insane number of turnovers. I think we all know Franklin can get this team to the door of the CFP and will probably have Penn State in the year one expanded playoff. I voted for excellence - LFG.
I watch to be entertained for a few hours. Nothing's going to change for me if PSU goes 0-12 or they go 12-0, except that I'll probably stop watching if they get their doors blown in week in, week out. Because that's not entertaining. As is, I'm somewhat entertained most weeks. So I keep watching. I don't "demand excellence" (i.e. a Natty) because, what does that do for me? Adds 1 or 2 more weekends of cheering? OK. Not that big a deal, to the point where I'm going to stomp around and "demand" better.

Consider ... if they only played 2 "top" teams over the course of 12 weeks, and went 12-0, and curbstomped 6-8 of those teams, would that be as much fun as watching them play 12 top teams (Bama, UM, OSU, LSU, etc.), and having them be fairly competitive in each of them, but they go 6-6? I'd prefer the latter.

Last edited: