QB room just got lighter.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Do you ever listen to Coach Leach’s broadcasts?? Will Rogers has his head coach’s confidence. No raw freshman will start for State. You say ‘Will started then’, but there was no one else left.

Air Raid requires reading defenses and knowing your receivers. Parson’s isn’t even on campus. He has lots of work to do to be a starter. Really, some of you post sh*t to see you name on the site.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Be willing to look at ND qb. If he would be interest but not mdny will transfer with s three year starter coming back.
Here is Pyne’s scouting report. Sound familiar? Just because he went to ND doesn’t mean he is great. They are a middle of the road power 5 team until they prove otherwise.
Lacks size of prototypical pocket passer. Has some dual threat ability. Runs 4.7 in 40. Productive in high school with 6:1 TD/INT ratio. Quick release. Superb touch on intermediate passes. Drops balls between linebackers and defensive backs. High understanding of offensive concepts. Pocket presence is impressive. Feels pressure and moves in pocket. Can extend plays. Arm strength needs work. Accuracy is inconsistent on deep balls. Uses a lot of body power to make throws down field and on deep outs.

• Haha
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Leach is almost never going to play a young QB. He had no choice with Will.
Then I think we're going to have a lot of transfer qbs then. I think you'll be able to get players to wait until their RS So year, but if they're looking at the depth chart and they don't have a path outside of injury of starting before their RS JR. year, I think the vast majority of them are going to transfer. And I don't blame them. Only get 4 years to play for most of them. With the transfer rules, I'd rather go somewhere I could play early and then transfer to a team with a hole at QB if I wanted to play at a more competeitive program.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I agree with that statement Johnson. I don't think any QB that commits to a Leach team would expect to play before their redshirt junior year. Greek had no path to playing time. Sawyer was ahead of him and he probly could see Locke possibly passing him up also.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The worst game of the season for the Will haters was the ETSU game where they saw that Robertson pretty much sucks. Now they have pinned their hopes on a transfer quarterback or a guy who is still in high school.
If you are making your evaluation of Robertson based on a throwaway appearance when he was playing with the 4th string o line and 4th string receivers, you're a moron. No offense.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
If you are making your evaluation of Robertson based on a throwaway appearance when he was playing with the 4th string o line and 4th string receivers, you're a moron. No offense.
I went to a couple of the open spring practices /scrimmages - which are not anything like the typical spring game. It's more of a normal practice with a separate situational type scrimmage session. But I honestly wondered who would be our starter if Will had to miss a complete game.

I know Robertson has been the one to come in the few times Will had to sit our a play. But for whatever reason - I liked watching Lovertich play. Which I guess all I'm saying is Robertson didn't jump out to be as being our clear backup QB just behind Will. I'm glad Will stayed healthy but it would have been interesting to see who Leach turned to if we had to play a full game without him.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The way people on here have hyped him up so much, I was expecting more from him against a terrible FCS defense. Lovertich was playing with the same backups and he was 6-6 with a touchdown in his two series. Robertson looked absolutely lost.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The way people on here have hyped him up so much, I was expecting more from him against a terrible FCS defense. Lovertich was playing with the same backups and he was 6-6 with a touchdown in his two series. Robertson looked absolutely lost.
No, Lovertich played with the backups. Robertson played with the scout guys. It's not a level comparison.

I'm not saying Robertson is better than Will. But to evaluate him based on that situation is out of line.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
EXACTLY--they hated Fitz--Dee Bost-Jamont Gordon-and wanted Stansbury gone. they bitched that Q was lazy on defense and had too many turnovers. i think Mike Leach will have a QB--no problem. Through out history that has been true.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
4th string? Really? We just skipped over 2nd and 3rd string to handicap him? I don't care who he was playing with (it was 2nd string mostly), you can tell when a player looks good and when he doesn't. And he didn't look good when he got snaps. Combine that with what little practice reports we get indicating he was nowhere near ready to play, and I think it's safe to say it wasn't the other 10 players he was playing with.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
4th string? Really? We just skipped over 2nd and 3rd string to handicap him? I don't care who he was playing with (it was 2nd string mostly), you can tell when a player looks good and when he doesn't. And he didn't look good when he got snaps. Combine that with what little practice reports we get indicating he was nowhere near ready to play, and I think it's safe to say it wasn't the other 10 players he was playing with.
He was playing with the scout team. Lovertich got the backup reps because it was senior day. Robertson would've looked different playing with the second team (no, it wasn't second string mostly that he was playing with).

There are many practice reports out there and his reports are much like everyone else's: good moments and bad moments.

I'm not saying he's better than Will (aGAIN), but anyone who judges where he is based on his appearance against ETSU has an agenda.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He was playing with the scout team. Lovertich got the backup reps because it was senior day. Robertson would've looked different playing with the second team (no, it wasn't second string mostly that he was playing with).

There are many practice reports out there and his reports are much like everyone else's: good moments and bad moments.

I'm not saying he's better than Will (aGAIN), but anyone who judges where he is based on his appearance against ETSU has an agenda.
He's played twice this year. Of course it's way too small a sample, and still a bit early in his career, to make a real judgment. But he certainly doesn't look like the QB he was hyped up to be (probably unfairly hyped). I hope we don't find out, but it would be interesting to see who comes in if Will gets hurt.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Here is Pyne’s scouting report. Sound familiar? Just because he went to ND doesn’t mean he is great. They are a middle of the road power 5 team until they prove otherwise.
Lacks size of prototypical pocket passer. Has some dual threat ability. Runs 4.7 in 40. Productive in high school with 6:1 TD/INT ratio. Quick release. Superb touch on intermediate passes. Drops balls between linebackers and defensive backs. High understanding of offensive concepts. Pocket presence is impressive. Feels pressure and moves in pocket. Can extend plays. Arm strength needs work. Accuracy is inconsistent on deep balls. Uses a lot of body power to make throws down field and on deep outs.

Sounded familiar until the “can extend plays” part.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He's played twice this year. Of course it's way too small a sample, and still a bit early in his career, to make a real judgment. But he certainly doesn't look like the QB he was hyped up to be (probably unfairly hyped). I hope we don't find out, but it would be interesting to see who comes in if Will gets hurt.
Do I think he would come out and be an immediate upgrade to Will? No. It takes time to catch up to the speed of the game for a guy who's never been the guy before. But I don't think there's as big of a gap talent-wise between the two as some suggest. In fact, on sheer talent, Robertson probably is better. What Will has going for himself is game experience, and a better handle of the offense and the reads, and those things aren't insignificant.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Do I think he would come out and be an immediate upgrade to Will? No. It takes time to catch up to the speed of the game for a guy who's never been the guy before. But I don't think there's as big of a gap talent-wise between the two as some suggest. In fact, on sheer talent, Robertson probably is better. What Will has going for himself is game experience, and a better handle of the offense and the reads, and those things aren't insignificant.
I have no idea what you base that on. Just because he had 4 stars coming out of high school doesn't mean much. And you certainly haven't seen anything since he got to MSU to make you think that. I think we do agree Will is the starter as long as he has eligibility and wants to play here.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I have no idea what you base that on. Just because he had 4 stars coming out of high school doesn't mean much. And you certainly haven't seen anything since he got to MSU to make you think that. I think we do agree Will is the starter as long as he has eligibility and wants to play here.
He (Sawyer) has more arm talent. That's not even debatable. It's apparent in pregame warmups. He's a better runner, because let's face it, even I'm a better runner than Will.

Will has the intangibles, which is admittedly far more important in this offense. But Will has a low ceiling and we've seen that for the last two years. He has not gotten better from 21 to 22 and it's not realistic to expect him to be any better in 23 based on what we've seen this year.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

patdog

May 28, 2007
He (Sawyer) has more arm talent. That's not even debatable. It's apparent in pregame warmups. He's a better runner, because let's face it, even I'm a better runner than Will.

Will has the intangibles, which is admittedly far more important in this offense. But Will has a low ceiling and we've seen that for the last two years. He has not gotten better from 21 to 22 and it's not realistic to expect him to be any better in 23 based on what we've seen this year.
Stronger arm doesn't necessarily equal more arm talent. Accuracy is at least as important as strength, if not more so. Agree about Will. What we see is what we get. And it's not going to change much in 2023 or 2024. And, as frustrating as it can be sometimes, overall that's not too bad.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Please do not point out a direct comparison between two backup quarterbacks. It kills the narrative.***

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Then I think we're going to have a lot of transfer qbs then. I think you'll be able to get players to wait until their RS So year, but if they're looking at the depth chart and they don't have a path outside of injury of starting before their RS JR. year, I think the vast majority of them are going to transfer. And I don't blame them. Only get 4 years to play for most of them. With the transfer rules, I'd rather go somewhere I could play early and then transfer to a team with a hole at QB if I wanted to play at a more competeitive program.
Look at Oregon. Just lost a higher 4 star QB. They are not worried at all.

QBs are going to want to play for Leach as we have seen here.... and will continue to.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

It's pretty hard to get a lot better from 2021 (~74% completion). You are technically correct however. Link to stats:

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Any way to send Will and our other QBs to the QB guru that Dak used a few off seasons ago?

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
The worst game of the season for the Will haters was the ETSU game where they saw that Robertson pretty much sucks. Now they have pinned their hopes on a transfer quarterback or a guy who is still in high school.
Will can still suck regardless of who is behind him.

it is Leach’s responsibility to win games. If he chooses to pin another season on Noodle then that is his prerogative. I’m hopeful he is smarter than that.