Rye

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Let's tipple !

Rye whisky is the fastest-growing whiskey product in the United States. To constitute a rye whisky, the product must:
  • Contain at least 51% rye in the mash bill.
  • Age in a new charred oak barrel.
  • Distill to a proof no higher than 160, or 80% ABV.
  • Enter the barrel at 125 proof or less.
  • Have at least 80 proof (or 40% ABV) when bottled.
Products labeled "straight rye" meet additional requirements. This type of rye whiskey must:
  • Age for at least two years.
  • Contain an age statement if aged for four years or more. This statement must use the age of the youngest rye in the batch when several barrels were in use.
  • Contain no colorings, flavorings, or other spirits.
The remaining 49% of the mash bill for a rye whiskey usually features some combination of wheat, corn, malted barley, and malted rye. Some recipes may include other grains like oats or rice. The most common recipe for rye whiskey is around 51% rye, 39% corn, and 10% malted barley.

Since the rye is predominant, it delivers most of the flavor even in batches that aren't technically a high rye whiskey. Rye has a distinct spiciness that sets it apart from other grains. The overall flavor often comes across as peppery or grassy. Rye delivers a more flavorful kick than other whiskeys. Corn is usually in the mash bill for rye whiskey to soften and sweeten the finished flavor. The barley provides essential enzymes to help speed the fermentation process as starches convert to sugars.

1665536106409.png

Very fond of this one

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
1687214184633.png

Yes .. Brothers and Sisters .. YES YES YES

The High West Double Rye is tasty and not pricey

1665536600491.png

WhistlePig PiggyBack 100% Rye - 6 years old at 97 proof - love it
1670631470728.png

Alberta Premium Cask Strength at 127 - 130 proof.

1670632785016.png

Very powerful - yet remarkably tasty
More mellow and rounded than you would expect.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye
Smooth Ambler Contradiction Rye - a personal favorite
High West Double Rye
Redemption Rye

(The High West Rendezvous is on my shopping list. Haven't had it yet, but from my positive experience with High West Double Rye, the Rendezvous would probably make my top ten)

These are quite drinkable everyday nippers

Rittenhouse BiB Rye
Bulleit Rye
Wild Turkey 101 Rye

There are many rye whiskies that contain between 51% - 60% rye. Some of these are quite tasty. I enjoy 90 - 100% rye content in the mash bill. Not coincidentally, I also like spicy foods. It's a personal preference.
Many "high-rye" bourbons actually don't have all that much rye in them. Usually around 18-35%.
Some distilleries treat their mash bills as proprietary trade secrets. That really pisses me off but I understand their perspective.

Bourbon and Whiskey Mash Bills – ModernThirst

www.rabbitholedistillery.com

What Is A High Rye Whiskey?

High rye whiskey is becoming increasingly popular as distilleries pursue new, more flavorful products. To understand what high rye whiskey is, you must first learn about regular and rye whiskey. Here is a breakdown of the essentials

www.gentlemenranters.com

Bourbon vs Rye whiskey: What's the Difference? - Gentlemen Ranters

'Bourbon' and 'Rye' describe two of the most prominent American whiskey styles.
www.gentlemenranters.com

The Ultimate Guide to Bourbon, from Barrel to Bottle

Learn what makes Bourbon stand apart from other whiskeys, its different styles and a list of recommended producers to seek out.
www.winemag.com

distiller.com

Mash Bill Recipes: Breaking It Down by Whiskey Style | Distiller

Whiskey makers use a variety of different mash bill recipes depending on if they’re making bourbon, rye or other styles of whiskey.
distiller.com

thecraftycask.com

How Understanding a Mash Bill Helps You Find Whiskey You Love

Why are you wasting your money on whiskey? Let's go over what a mash bill is, and how it can save your wallet and your headaches.
thecraftycask.com
thecraftycask.com

www.gentlemenranters.com

Mash Bill - Bourbon and Whiskey Ingredient Guide - Gentlemen Ranters

If you're relatively new in your distilled spirits journey, you may find yourself hearing a lot about mash bills. There is much debate in the world of whiskey
www.gentlemenranters.com

Secret Mash Bills Are Stupid

Everyone knows the rye whiskey made at MGP of Indiana, sold as Templeton, Bulleit, Redemption, George Dickel, and many others, is made from...
chuckcowdery.blogspot.com

www.procopio.com

Maintaining a Brewery’s Trade Secrets While Complying with Formula Disclosure Requirements - Procopio

By Procopio Partner Sean M. Sullivan
The craft beer market is now a multibillion-dollar industry. The historical culture of microbrew collaboration has
www.procopio.com
www.procopio.com

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
1665536723783.png

For quality, price and most-people-like-it flavor
Rittenhouse BiB is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outsider Jim

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
The original stuff from MGP and Barton is some of the best rye I have ever had. The current stuff distilled in Utah, is just "Meh". Anything made pre-2018 is going to have the original MGP in it. The barrels used were between 5-19 years old. The newer stuff is 4-7 year juice blended with MGP and High West.

If you look hard enough, you can still find some of the original stuff in 375ml bottles. I have collected about 7 bottles that way and the difference between them and now is night and day. It's "all time" stuff.

Bulleit Rye is my go to for Old Fashioneds. I like Chattanooga Whiskey’s Rye and WT Rare Breed’s Rye neat.
Great MGP rye. There's a lot of it out there so if Bulleit is sold out, you can still find it.

Old Overholt 114 Proof, Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond, and George Dickel are all outstanding, readily available, and affordable Ryes ($25-30)

The Wild Turkey Rare Breed is also fantastic, but about double the price of the aforementioned.
WT RB is legit. Along with Michter's and Alberta, my favorite cask strength ryes.

Knob Creek produced a Twice Barrelled Rye back in 2018. I had heard they came across a bunch of leaky barrels and decided to re-barrel them in new, #4 char barrels. KC Rye is already sweeter for a rye than most with just 51% rye in the mashbill. What the second barrelling did was sweeten it a bit more, but not fruity sweet. I think of it as a "sweet heat" because the rye spice is just mellowed. You can still find a few bottles here and there, but if you are a bourbon drinker who is curious about rye it is IMO the perfect introduction.

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
r/reddeadredemption - Got this bottle just on name alone to add to my collection and celebrate the release tonight.
If you find a better high rye for the price
Let me know.

95% rye
5% barley

Reportedly 2.5 years old.
They'll age this youngster and sky the price point.

Last edited:

FIFO

Apr 28, 2022
Local smalltown grocery started selling beer and liquor. He has 2022 Pinhook Flagship Rye on the shelf for $22. Umm, yea everyone else seems to sell it for $35+ and its pretty dang good for $22 so I went back bought the other 3 bottles good young rye sipper.

20%Corn 60% Rye 20% Barley 99Proof

View attachment 248270
download.gif

Reactions: MLU

Go MandB

Nov 29, 2021
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye and Stellum Rye are outstanding. Old Pepper Single Barrel Rye is under the radar and outstanding as well.

Reactions: mulegator

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Have to admit that I'm having an affair with the Ryes these days.
Kinda migrated from the bourbons over to the ryes.
I'm having a good time
🤳💃🎶🌛🌞🏈🛸

Last edited:

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
Hmmm.... Honey cask finish you say?

That was the first reason actually…

Haven’t cracked it yet. A buddy of mine has a wine strainer. We’re gonna strain it back into the bottle first. I’m getting impatient though. 😉

LAGamecock89

Joined Nov 20, 2006 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 21, 2022
Woodford Rye 2.jpg

Had a whiskey tasting with some buddies a while back and this was the unanimous favorite among the other options. We also learned that Knobb Creek is absolute garbage hah.

Anyone else having trouble finding this one at their local liquor store?

Had to order a bottle online recently.

• Love
Reactions: FIFO

DoublerVol

Sep 1, 2022
Kiamichi 5Yr is a solid pour. The 8yr is a butter bomb. Both are a Willette collaboration with Kings of Leon.

GarnetAndGucci

Jul 29, 2022
This sounds intriguing...

Still haven’t cracked it. 🤓

You all will be the first to know when I do. Hell, some of you come over to my place & we’ll crack it & decide together. 😆

Who doesn’t want to drink out of a barrel char snow globe??? 😂

gatordavisl

Nov 8, 2022
Hey buddy, I took your advice and came over here to check things out. I've picked up some pretty special bottles of rye lately. For starters, I got a couple bottles of High West A Midwinter Night's Dram. These are blends of Rendezvous and aged a bit more. It's gotten darn near impossible to find and quite spendy, but it sure is an amazing rye whiskey.
High West MWND.jpg

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
View attachment 252574
Had a whiskey tasting with some buddies a while back and this was the unanimous favorite among the other options. We also learned that Knobb Creek is absolute garbage hah.

Anyone else having trouble finding this one at their local liquor store?

Had to order a bottle online recently.

I just got a bottle.
Batch 0810
Bottle 1570
Disappointing.

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
I think I've finally figured out my taste profile.
High rye 95-100% and high ABV.
Hopefully with a nice finish and some age.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarolineBynum

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
I think I've finally figured out my taste profile.
High rye 95-100% and high ABV.
If you're up for something interesting, try Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye. It will run you about $65 and will be between 66-63 proof, depending on the year. Powerful nose, tons of flavor and great, long finish. Best looking bottle on the shelf, IMO too.

• Love

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
If you're up for something interesting, try Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye. It will run you about $65 and will be between 66-63 proof, depending on the year. Powerful nose, tons of flavor and great, long finish. Best looking bottle on the shelf, IMO too.
You mean about 130 proof ?
Sounds very interesting.
Doesn't show up in Total Wine Tallahassee.
Wonder if it's available in Florida ?

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
That's too bad.

My bottle has been quite enjoyable.

Batch 0526
Bottle 0621

Maybe its because mine is an older batch?

It's happened to me several times with single barrel whiskeys.
The first one is great.
The next one (different barrel) not so much.

My first bottle of George Dickel BiB was outstanding.
The next one (different barrel) SUCKED
I was so pissed off I wrote the Cascade Hollow folks about it.
When there is that much difference between the earlier and later barrels it feels like bait-and-switch.
It IS bait-and-switch as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: