Rye

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
If you're up for something interesting, try Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye. It will run you about $65 and will be between 66-63 proof, depending on the year. Powerful nose, tons of flavor and great, long finish. Best looking bottle on the shelf, IMO too.
🌠
1670637385693.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MLU

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
That's too bad.

My bottle has been quite enjoyable.

Batch 0526
Bottle 0621

Maybe its because mine is an older batch?
For me
That's the second time I've had a Woodford and didn't like it.
I guess whatever they are doing I just don't like.

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
View attachment 252574
Had a whiskey tasting with some buddies a while back and this was the unanimous favorite among the other options. We also learned that Knobb Creek is absolute garbage hah.

Anyone else having trouble finding this one at their local liquor store?

Had to order a bottle online recently.

I'll trade you my Woodford for any of those other bottles I listed.

Last edited:

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
You mean about 130 proof ?
Sounds very interesting.
Doesn't show up in Total Wine Tallahassee.
Wonder if it's available in Florida ?
Yeah, 130 proof. Not sure where my head was when I typed that. I think I was trying to picture the box where they display the abv to type in the poof and things just didn't translate to my fingertips.

It's a nationwide release. I don't know where you are in Florida, but you should be able to find it somewhere.

Attachments

• alberta-premium-cask-strength-rye_1.jpg
    alberta-premium-cask-strength-rye_1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: mulegator

gatordavisl

Nov 8, 2022
Yeah, 130 proof. Not sure where my head was when I typed that. I think I was trying to picture the box where they display the abv to type in the poof and things just didn't translate to my fingertips.

It's a nationwide release. I don't know where you are in Florida, but you should be able to find it somewhere.
I see the Alberta BS rye at Costco up here in MN.

gatordavisl

Nov 8, 2022
It's happened to me several times with single barrel whiskies.
The first one is great.
The next one (different barrel) not so much.

My first bottle of George Dickel BiB was outstanding.
The next one (different barrel) SUCKED
I was so pissed off I wrote the Cascade Hollow folks about it.
When there is that much difference between the earlier and later barrels it feels like bait-and-switch.
It IS bait-and-switch as far as I'm concerned.
I'm sipping a Dickel BiB right now and really enjoying it. Recently, I've had Widow Jane 10yr and Dickel BiB (13yr), both which have an off-putting mineral quality. It smells like Flinstones vitamins for many. So here's what's worked: My first pour was a highland Scotch. My second pour was Widow Jane and my third pour was Dickel. This sequence from the fruity/spicy/grainy Scotch to the mineral whiskey tended to make the Widow Jane and Dickel taste REALLY good. They totally lost the mineral quality and the corn sweetness came through very nicely. If you've got a bottle of Scotch, try one of those before going to Dickel.

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
I'm sipping a Dickel BiB right now and really enjoying it. Recently, I've had Widow Jane 10yr and Dickel BiB (13yr), both which have an off-putting mineral quality. It smells like Flinstones vitamins for many. So here's what's worked: My first pour was a highland Scotch. My second pour was Widow Jane and my third pour was Dickel. This sequence from the fruity/spicy/grainy Scotch to the mineral whiskey tended to make the Widow Jane and Dickel taste REALLY good. They totally lost the mineral quality and the corn sweetness came through very nicely. If you've got a bottle of Scotch, try one of those before going to Dickel.
Makes sense
Thanks
Right now I'm enjoying my first ever

Reactions: MLU and gatordavisl

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
1668486621715.png

I recently helped my son move from north Florida to Texas.
Michael likes rye so I brought a couple of bottles out to Longview to enjoy with him.
I forget what the other one was but he kept the WhistlePig.
Smart boy.
🌠

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
I think the other bottle you shared with your son was either Rittenhouse or High West double rye.
That was on a previous occasion.
Those two are both good.
I think it was either the Contradiction or the Redemption in Texas, both are good.
I keep finding more high rye - high ABV's that I like.
I've shared several of those with my son on different occasions over the last few months.
Those older higher priced ryes I haven't tried yet are definitely on my list.
Those bottles you have Davis are outstanding I'm sure.🌠
Save me a dram.

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordavisl

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
I'm taking the bottles I'm not crazy about and blending them
It has worked every time so far
Think I'm onto something
IMG_0445 (3).jpg

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Just picked up another bottle of WhistlePig
My son snagged the last one
1669236255471.png

It was a real struggle for me between that one and this one

1669235396500.png

Last edited:

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
I've never had the Contradiction Rye, but I do have a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye Single Barrel that's a nice 114 proof that is quite enjoyable.

• Love

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
I've never had the Contradiction Rye, but I do have a bottle of Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye Single Barrel that's a nice 114 proof that is quite enjoyable.
Sounds like my cuppa tea
About $50 ?

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Personal preference
The Woodford Reserve tasted kinda meh

I'm veddy opinionated - almost a curse
I will alwys telly ya wot I think

Last edited:
Reactions: Someguy09

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
Total Wine did a single barrel pick last year of WP 10 year aged in Cognac casks that was fantastic. I find WP to be ridiculously overrated for the price and can name a dozen eyes that are better for much less the price, but that 1 batch was worth every penny of the $109 I gave.

BamaMBA19

Dec 1, 2022
Total Wine did a single barrel pick last year of WP 10 year aged in Cognac casks that was fantastic. I find WP to be ridiculously overrated for the price and can name a dozen eyes that are better for much less the price, but that 1 batch was worth every penny of the $109 I gave.
What total wine ?

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Total Wine did a single barrel pick last year of WP 10 year aged in Cognac casks that was fantastic. I find WP to be ridiculously overrated for the price and can name a dozen ryes that are better for much less the price, but that 1 batch was worth every penny of the $109 I gave.
MLU:
Please give us your top 5-10 price/quality picks.
I am quite fond of the high abv - high rye/100% ryes with a bit of time in a nice finishing barrel. These tend to be quite pricey.
I am looking into Alberta Distillers Limited products, which are hard to find in Tallahassee.
We have a new Total Wine here, which is great.
Takk
MG

Last edited:

SurlyGator

Dec 16, 2021
I'm taking the bottles I'm not crazy about and blending them
It has worked every time so far
Think I'm onto something
View attachment 263795
Unless you like multivitamins, any Dickel or Dickel sourced products (there are lots of them, read the small print for anything distilled in Tennessee) could ruin your mixes, FYI. That aftertaste is noticable from a mile away, and I would assume next to impossible to cover up.

Unless you like Dickel, in which case it probably wouldn't be in your mixing bin anyway.

Outsider Jim

Sep 20, 2022
MLU:
I am quite fond of the high rye/100% ryes with a nice finish and a bit of age. These tend to be quite pricey.
I am looking into Alberta Distillers Limited products, which are hard to find in Tallahassee.
Takk
MG
If you want tasty ryes at $30 . . . you can't go wrong with Rittenhouse Bonded, Old Overholt, Old Forester or Wild Turkey.

Moving up the ladder in the $50 range, WhistlePig PiggyBack 6 Year, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, and Knob Creek Single Barrel Select are all damn solid.

If you want something special at $150, get ya a bottle of High West's A Midwinter Night's Dram.

Reactions: mulegator and MLU

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
If you want tasty ryes at $30 . . . you can't go wrong with Rittenhouse Bonded, Old Overholt, Old Forester or Wild Turkey.

Moving up the ladder in the $50 range, WhistlePig PiggyBack 6 Year, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, and Knob Creek Single Barrel Select are all damn solid.

If you want something special at $150, get ya a bottle of High West's A Midwinter Night's Dram.
High West really killed me with MWND prices this year. I'm still working on an Act 9. Rittenhouse is my preferred rye for Old Fashioneds. KC SiB can be elite, especially if you find those 120 proofers.

Outsider Jim

Sep 20, 2022
High West really killed me with MWND prices this year. I'm still working on an Act 9. Rittenhouse is my preferred rye for Old Fashioneds. KC SiB can be elite, especially if you find those 120 proofers.
Remember when MWND was going for sub-$100 a few years ago? Creeps up every year.

• Sad

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Just picked up a bottle of Alberta
About $75 at Total Wine Tallahassee
1670372889631.png
🌠
BOOM!
Powerful!
Needs aging/finishing
But it mixes very well with everything.
I like to mix it with WhistlePig PiggyBack.

I always drink my ryes neat.
Maybe just a quick ice cube wash.

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Let me throw this out to the esteemed aficionados who inhabit these denizens

Good bottle of rye for $75 or less

Top 5 ??

MLU

Jan 17, 2022
MLU:
I am quite fond of the high rye/100% ryes with a nice finish and a bit of age. These tend to be quite pricey.
Takk
MG
Easy to find Ryes that hit the mark:
Michter's Rye
Dickel Rye
Bulleit Rye
Knob Creek SiB
Jack Daniels Rye
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Overholt
Pikeville Rye

None of those should cost more than $60. Pikesville, Rare Breed and Michter's will be right at that mark. Everything else should be below $40.

Options that might be a tad bit more difficult to find or cost above $60:
Alberta Premium Cask Strength
Angels Envy Rye
Barrell Seagrass
Michter's BS Rye
Michter's 10 yr Rye
Old Forester BS Rye
Jefferson's Ocean Cognac Rye
Wilderness Trail Rye

Ryes that I find bland or overrated for the price:
Old Forester Rye
Sazerac Rye
Willet Family Estate
High West Rendezvous Rye (after 2017)
Elijah Craig Rye
Peerless Rye
Woodford Reserve Rye
Tin Cup
The Senator
Templeton Rye
Redemption Rye
WT 101 Rye
Blue Run Golden Rye
Restoration Rye

I do have a bottle of Old Ezra 7 year BS Rye that I have yet to open. I also hoarded a few bottles of Knob Creek Twice Barrelled Rye that were a one time only release that is worth every penny of $70 if you happen to stumble across a bottle. It's a real bourbon drinker's rye and you can buy it with confidence IMO.

Remember when MWND was going for sub-$100 a few years ago? Creeps up every year.
I feel like I paid $95 last year.

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
OK I'll play

WhistlePig PiggyBack 6 year old 100% Rye at 97 proof - My #1
🌠
Tied at #1 with the Pig
Alberta Premium Cask Strength at 127 - 130 proof

Then
Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye at 112 proof
Really really good

Then in no particular order

Smooth Ambler Contradiction Rye - a personal favorite
Redemption Rye - a great buy and one of my favorites
High West Double Rye

(The High West Rendezvous is on my shopping list. Haven't had it yet, but from my positive experience with High West Double Rye, the Rendezvous would probably make my top ten)

These are quite drinkable everyday sippers

Rittenhouse BiB Rye
Bulleitt Rye
Wild Turkey 101 Rye

There are many rye whiskeys that contain between 51% - 60% rye. Some of these are quite tasty. I enjoy 90 - 100% rye content in the mash bill.
Not coincidentally, I also like spicy foods. It's a personal preference.
Many "high-rye" bourbons actually don't have all that much rye in them. Usually around 18-35%.
Some distilleries treat their mash bills as proprietary trade secrets. That really pisses me off but I understand their perspective.

I'm sure many of those $100+ bottles are great
They're just out of my league.:rolleyes:
I feel bad paying more than $50 a bottle:unsure:
Even though I sometimes do.;)

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
I've been privately blending the Alberta and the PiggyBack lately
Sublime
🌠

Last edited:

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
Very curious about this one
Has anyone tried it ?

1671387774060.png

mulegator

Sep 5, 2022
I continue to experiment with blending some of these bottles that I'm not crazy about.
I mixed a little tumbler about 50-50 with Early Times BiB bourbon and Woodford Reserve straight rye at 90 proof.
Not bad
Not bad at all
The Early Times is a bit rough and the Woodford Reserve is pretty mellow.
They balance each other quite well.

Last edited: