SECT: double first base

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
When are they realize injuries are just a part of the game?
I guess when "they" stop investing millions of dollars into the sport?

If you think about it, when leagues make changes to the rules or introduce new equipment to improve "player safety", yes, the players see a benefit in that the likelihood of season or career shortening injury is reduced, but the real reason is largely for stakeholders to protect their investments. It started with the pros, but now that boosters, sponsors, and schools are investing real money into individual players, they have a tangible stake in keeping those players healthy and on the field and you'll likely start seeing more of these changes across all college sports.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
How about a double home plate. The pitcher throws to the catcher behind one and batter hits off of the T on the other. Also every player gets an MVP award even if they never get off of the bench. Everyone plays in bubble wrap. Jeez people, toughen up a little.
We would still have hitters watching the 3rd strike even w/ a "T"

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Can the first baseman use the extended bag to get an out? Meaning, if a throw from the catcher is wide right, can the first baseman use the green bag to get the out, or is it solely for the runner?
My understanding is that on a routine grounder, the inside bag is for the first baseman, and the outside bag is for the runner. On a dropped third strike, either bag is available to both first baseman and runner. I'm assuming this accounts for the catcher throwing to first base from foul territory.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
My understanding is that on a routine grounder, the inside bag is for the first baseman, and the outside bag is for the runner. On a dropped third strike, either bag is available to both first baseman and runner. I'm assuming this accounts for the catcher throwing to first base from foul territory.
I just heard on the broadcast: Another exception is that on a ball to the outfield, the runner will touch the inside bag as they round first.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Can the first baseman use the extended bag to get an out? Meaning, if a throw from the catcher is wide right, can the first baseman use the green bag to get the out, or is it solely for the runner?
It's rare but yes (I'm assuming it's following rules I've seen when two are used). The bags switch in certain situations to avoid collisions. Say a dropped 3rd strike that rolls toward first base dug out. But I can't say for sure that's what the SEC will do. They may not be that intelligent if reviews are any indication.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It's rare but yes (I'm assuming it's following rules I've seen when two are used). The bags switch in certain situations to avoid collisions. Say a dropped 3rd strike that rolls toward first base dug out. But I can't say for sure that's what the SEC will do. They may not be that intelligent if reviews are any indication.
They clarified on the broadcast that outside of a dropped third strike, the defender and runner are limited to one bag each. For example, a high throw causing the first baseman to jump and come down on the green bag is the same as not touching either bag.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
A few thoughts...

The stupid rule we saw called last year with the runner having to run away from the first baseman and then back to the base won't be an issue. HOPEFULLY.

You have guys with 6 figure NIL deals and this is a place they can blow out their knee.

The SECT needed the media coverage in a bad way.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
No strong feeling either way. One thing that came to mind is that on collisions, the fielding team is essentially bailed out for a bad throw. The runner would otherwise be able to take 2nd on an errant throw.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Seth Meyers Throwback GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I don't have an issue with having two bags for safety purposes, but having rules about which color bag is available to which player based on the play is idiotic and you know it's going to bite us in the *** at some point where we'll get called out because our guy touched the wrong color base. Just put two white bases out there and both runner and fielder can use them as needed, it's just one long base now. Getting called out on a double because the runner rounded first and touched the wrong base is going to be a hard pill to swallow, and you know it's coming...

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Can the first base coach also touch the outside first base? Because it will happen

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
It came into play immediately today during the LSU game. It didn't cause any issues but it probably spared the LSU player from getting spiked