So did anyone see the Aurora last night? And if so, where?

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
A friend of mind got some good pictures in south Meridian. I went outside and saw just a little difference than the normal night sky. Born loser….

Reactions: patdog

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Picture I posted in the other thread was from Tupelo. I had a fire going in the backyard and had telescope out looking at the moon since it was a nice clear night, no mosquitoes out yet. Timing was ~9 till 10:30.

But I was mostly focused watching the game on my phone, and turned it off when Jordan struck out with bases loaded. Looked up and the sky was turning red towards the north. Maybe around 10 there was almost a large X looking shape that formed directly overhead and kinda pulsated, I guess would be best way to describe. That was really cool but my phone couldn’t get a good video of it

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Got some good looks here on a camping trip in central Arkansas. Northern lights trip up north is now on the bucket list. Anyone have recommendations?

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Couldn't see anything from Red Stick, but city lights tend to make night sky watching pointless.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
A friend of mind got some good pictures in south Meridian. I went outside and saw just a little difference than the normal night sky. Born loser….
I don’t think you’re going to be able to see if with your naked eye… from what I read, you’re going to need to take pictures.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t think you’re going to be able to see if with your naked eye… from what I read, you’re going to need to take pictures.
You can see it. But it’s not a bright as in pictures.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
For anyone who is disappointed in missing what they saw in pictures and thinks they missed it, the pictures pick up vastly more detail. I could definitely see a tint to the sky, and see some hard-to-make out beams. But the pictures are vastly more impressive. Nobody in the south saw anything close to what their pictures would make you think. You probably saw what they saw, but you just didn’t set your camera settings as well as they did or just didn’t take pictures.

What’s so strange to me is that pictures of a total eclipse don’t do it justice at all. Yet pictures of auroras are significantly more detailed and vivid than what you actually see.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think I may need to get out of my neighborhood to see. We either had street lights or trees ruining everything.
Yep. Think we’re going to drive out into the county to see if we can see it tonight.

Reactions: ronpolk

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
I’ve driven around Tupelo and can’t for the life of me see anything, whether via picture or the naked eye. It’s like all my neighbors, Facebook friends, and six pack…. as well as CNN, Fox News, and the weather channel… got together to pull a practical joke on me.
“hey, check it out; we should convince ‘ol’ Herbert that the northern lights are coming all the way into Mississippi! He’ll be wandering the streets like a goober taking pictures of the sky”
“There’s no way he’s dumb enough to believe that”
“No, I’m telling you, I really bet he will”

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
I’d love to even have a remote chance, but all my neighbors decided that they should all leave all their lights on all around the exterior of their houses. I could do 17in yard work right now and not even need a 17in flashlight. It’s the equivalent of people who drive slow in the left lane with their brights on all the time.

• Angry

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I’d love to even have a remote chance, but all my neighbors decided that they should all leave all their lights on all around the exterior of their houses. I could do 17in yard work right now and not even need a 17in flashlight. It’s the equivalent of people who drive slow in the left lane with their brights on all the time.
Do you live next to me? Houses to my northwest and southwest both with bright flood lights on tonight

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
1000013620.png
1000013622.png

1000013623.png

Much more prevalent up here at the 5500' and right on the 45th parallel. We see it once or twice a year it seems like. Much more impressive through the camera though.

I probably prefer a clear summer night checking out the Milky Way. We live in a dark sky town that requires approved outdoor lights and timers to avoid light pollution. One of the darkest places in the lower 48 at night and when we had 15-20 miles into the mountains it really gets crazy... Took this one from my driveway in town last summer...

1000013625.png