So the Russell story is officially out….

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
Sounds like it was one punch. Dude had a glass jaw. Nobody knows what was done prior to lead to it all I guess. Fighting used to be common place. Sure beats shooting. He'll get suspended.
What a stupid take. You should be embarrassed for even thinking it, let alone typing it out.

I will say that it sounds fishy that they had never encountered each other before. Especially since Russell knew his name and was able to DM him, plus he said all he wanted to do was talk. That is weird, but pretty irrelevant imo. Cut this loser immediately. I hope he ends up in prison.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
What a stupid take. You should be embarrassed for even thinking it, let alone typing it out.

I will say that it sounds fishy that they had never encountered each other before. Especially since Russell knew his name and was able to DM him, plus he said all he wanted to do was talk. That is weird, but pretty irrelevant imo. Cut this loser immediately. I hope he ends up in prison.
I'm not embarrassed at all. You should be for making a decision based on half the story. Get out of your feelings and narrowed site line. You literally want someone sent to prison when you don't even know the story.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Here's the one thing that tells me there's more to this than what either side has admitted yet:

Kid's lawyer said that the kid never encountered Russell prior to the "sucker-punch" (lawyer's words not mine). However, in his DM, Russell said that "all I wanted to do was talk and I reacted differently".

Something happened between the two that caused Russell to "want to talk". Also, just because the lawyer uses the term "sucker-punch" doesn't mean that's what it was. Until the WHOLE story comes out, we should all reserve judgement for both parties.

Truthfully, with the prevalence of security cameras these days, I'd be SHOCKED if there isn't clear video evidence of the entire encounter. A review of that footage could be why no criminal charges have been filed.

Sorry to bring logic to the discussion. Carry on....

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
There are always two sides to every story. However, that is a really big athletic boy hitting a much smaller guy. Hope they kick him off the team, and criminal charges are brought against him. If this was a first time occurrence, I would be all for giving him a chance., This kid has a history of poor decisions, and it's not like he is a freshman.
After reading his apology, it's hard to stomach that our degrees will come from the same institution. How in the hell do some of these kids get out of basic English Comp.
Correction there's three sides to every story. I see a lot of condemning for Russell but has anyone asked what happened for him to react like that?

No doubt that kid most likely said something he had to business saying. I can neither confirm or deny that but if he did he got what he deserved

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
That kids dad is a lawyer, the kid is pre-law, of course they are going to involve a lawyer.

Snide remarks because I am not under the assumption Russell’s parents are super wealthy ? Your arguments are ridiculous.
I don't anything about what happened. However, I did know his dad when I was at State. He is not a lawyer, he is an engineer. Very nice guy and a good Bulldog. I haven't kept up with him since college but I saw him at lunch about a year ago (still not a lawyer)

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Correction there's three sides to every story. I see a lot of condemning for Russell but has anyone asked what happened for him to react like that?

No doubt that kid most likely said something he had to business saying. I can neither confirm or deny that but if he did he got what he deserved
What could he have said that deserves a brain bleed and a permanently damaged neck ?

And if he didn’t say anything but accidentally dribbled a little beer on Russell’s slacks ? What then does Russell deserve ?

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
What could he have said that deserves a brain bleed and a permanently damaged neck ?

And if he didn’t say anything but accidentally dribbled a little beer on Russell’s slacks ? What then does Russell deserve ?
What can any little racist twerp say to invoke a violent response from someone that doesn't look like them?

everyone on this damn post know what he most likely said but don't want to admit it because of that "good ole boy" mentality that's not as out there as their brothers in Christ in Lafayette county

But me personally I'll hold my opinion until the rest of the story comes out

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
What can any little racist twerp say to invoke a violent response from someone that doesn't look like them?

everyone on this damn post know what he most likely said but don't want to admit it because of that "good ole boy" mentality that's not as out there as their brothers in Christ in Lafayette county

That's what I'm doing with the P-Diddy video. I'm reserving judgment. I have a feeling that gal called him the N-word and thus deserved being punched, kicked and dragged around. Fights aren't fair. You fight to win and we don't yet know why she had it coming.***

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

So the 150 pound assault victim with a brain bleed and a damaged spine is a “little racist twerp” ? Smearing the victim so we can have a below average DE on the field and maybe win four games this year ? Nice moral compass*

Really twisted and amoral thought process to even type something like that. Not only is Russell a bully with no impulse control but he’s a crappy defensive end who regularly gets his arse kicked on the field.

Last edited:

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
So the 150 pound assault victim with a brain bleed and a damaged spine is a “little racist twerp” ? Smearing the victim so we can have a below average DE on the field and maybe win four games this year ? Nice moral compass*

Really twisted and amoral thought process to even type something like that. Not only is Russell a bully with no impulse control but he’s a crappy defensive end who regularly gets his arse kicked on the field.
What is twisted and amoral is that in today's world - knowing how often people are convicted in the court of public opinion way before the full story comes out - that so many people are ready to hang either kid out to dry on this.

A year ago in my community, there was an incident with local high school students:
https://www.wsaz.com/2023/03/28/gra...er-being-tortured-by-teens-party-family-says/

As social media does - a firestorm erupted and a number of kids reputations were dragged thru the mud.
Once the investigation progressed, the picture of what happened was very different then the way social media portrayed it,

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/l...cle_cdf678f1-a7fb-5ac8-83a1-18167172d526.html

So I am wary of things like this that get thrown out to the media or on social media before investigations have been completed.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What is twisted and amoral is that in today's world - knowing how often people are convicted in the court of public opinion way before the full story comes out - that so many people are ready to hang either kid out to dry on this.

A year ago in my community, there was an incident with local high school students:
https://www.wsaz.com/2023/03/28/gra...er-being-tortured-by-teens-party-family-says/

As social media does - a firestorm erupted and a number of kids reputations were dragged thru the mud.
Once the investigation progressed, the picture of what happened was very different then the way social media portrayed it,

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/l...cle_cdf678f1-a7fb-5ac8-83a1-18167172d526.html

So I am wary of things like this that get thrown out to the media or on social media before investigations have been completed.
Did any of them confess to doing anything in social media like Russell did?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ok, as much as I like to shittt on our own, I remember this video clip, and if Mike is in the moment, focused on the fans, it could be missed.
Let’s not get carried away with our pitchforks.
I was talking about how he handled it afterwards. No punishments or consequences and just made excuses for the players. And now we see the two biggest instigators on our side both turned out to be poor representatives for our university.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I thought Leach handled that poorly at the time, and this convinced me even more.
I thought he was Leach-like and maybe didn't notice or care much and the refs allowed way too much in that game.. He and Lane did bring about a massive change in the nature of Egg Bowls, something I think made the game more enjoyable

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I was talking about how he handled it afterwards. No punishments or consequences and just made excuses for the players. And now we see the two biggest instigators on our side both turned out to be poor representatives for our university.
I guess it puts coaches and admin in a no-win situation when referees don’t maintain composure in the game and things boil over.

That said, I agree coming down harder would have been good for optics, but it’s also standard M O, especially for Leach, to handle things quietly and in-house.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009

My question is, why do so many of these guys lose control at the extent that they are willing to nearly kill somebody?

I don’t buy it.
He's already had a DUI and he damn near killed a 150 pound kid outside two brothers? No way this moron sees the field again. Send him back to Jackson so he can hang out with all the other barbarians. He's not a player we will miss anyway.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Here's the one thing that tells me there's more to this than what either side has admitted yet:

Kid's lawyer said that the kid never encountered Russell prior to the "sucker-punch" (lawyer's words not mine). However, in his DM, Russell said that "all I wanted to do was talk and I reacted differently".

Something happened between the two that caused Russell to "want to talk". Also, just because the lawyer uses the term "sucker-punch" doesn't mean that's what it was. Until the WHOLE story comes out, we should all reserve judgement for both parties.

Truthfully, with the prevalence of security cameras these days, I'd be SHOCKED if there isn't clear video evidence of the entire encounter. A review of that footage could be why no criminal charges have been filed.

Sorry to bring logic to the discussion. Carry on....
That's certainly possible, but it's also just as possible if not more probable that the DA is slow walking it because it's a football player and is seeing how much of a stink is raised.

We'll see if the facts ever come out, but based on the information already known, it doesn't look likely that anything is going to come out to exonerate him Russell. The worst scenario people seem to be coming up with is using a racial slur, which wasn't even implied in Russell's message, might help in the court of public opinion and could possibly help in front of a jury, but it doesn't technically have any legal impact. It's also a little sad that rather than waiting for additional facts to come out, people are rushing to slander the person that appears to almost certainly be the victim based on the facts so far because they don't want to contemplate that our already talent thin defense would take another hit.

Reactions: 85Bears

patdog

May 28, 2007
That's certainly possible, but it's also just as possible if not more probable that the DA is slow walking it because it's a football player and is seeing how much of a stink is raised.

We'll see if the facts ever come out, but based on the information already known, it doesn't look likely that anything is going to come out to exonerate him Russell. The worst scenario people seem to be coming up with is using a racial slur, which wasn't even implied in Russell's message, might help in the court of public opinion and could possibly help in front of a jury, but it doesn't technically have any legal impact. It's also a little sad that rather than waiting for additional facts to come out, people are rushing to slander the person that appears to almost certainly be the victim based on the facts so far because they don't want to contemplate that our already talent thin defense would take another hit.
How different would the reactions on our message boards (and on UM message boards) be if this were a Mississippi football player?

Reactions: Maroon13

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
This is what very likely*** happened:

While both had been drinking out one night, something stupid/accidental happened and there was an exchange of words. Instead of cowering down, the frat kid (having liquid courage) said something smart to Russell (I highly doubt it was racial). Russel, now seething that this white kid would talk back to him in front of people, snapped and punched him in the face.

I highly doubt it was a “sucker punch” in the truest sense of the word but the kid probably thought there was enough people there that talking back to Russel was not going to get him punched in the face, nor should it have. The kid’s ego was probably hurt so he is having the lawyer reiterate it was a sucker punch. The lesson for everyone here should be to learn how to deescalate situations like this.

While I think Russel should be disciplined and charged with something I don’t think it should ruin his life. I don’t believe at all the lawyer’s characterization of Russel laying in wait deciding to punch this random kid he has never met in the face, that’s absurd.

I worked for 6 years in bar scene in Tuscaloosa. This scenario happens multiple times every weekend on college campuses across the country when students are out and alcohol is flowing. Seen it time and time again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lumpy1055

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Reading into everything it is obvious what happened:

While both had been drinking out one night, something stupid/accidental happened and there was an exchange of words. Instead of cowering down, the frat kid (having liquid courage) said something smart to Russell (I highly doubt it was racial). Russel, now seething that this white kid would talk back to him in front of people, snapped and punched him in the face.

I highly doubt it was a “sucker punch” in the truest sense of the word but the kid probably thought there was enough people there that talking back to Russel was not going to get him punched in the face, nor should it have. The kid’s ego was probably hurt so he is having the lawyer reiterate it was a sucker punch. The lesson for everyone here should be to learn how to deescalate situations like this.

While I think Russel should be disciplined and charged with something I don’t think it should ruin his life. I don’t believe at all the lawyer’s characterization of Russel laying in wait deciding to punch this random kid he has never met in the face, that’s absurd.

I worked for 6 years in bar scene in Tuscaloosa. This scenario happens every weekend on college campuses across the country when students are out and alcohol is flowing. Seen it time and time again.
This is also why it is taking so long to come to a decision, because this happens all the time. Authorities know this and know this happens all the time but because this kid’s lawyers are now framing it a certain way and it is getting a lot of attention. If serious charges were brought it would never hold up in court. So do you ruin a good football player’s life over this?

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah, I’d love to hear the story that justifies an SEC football player unprovoked punching out a kid who is half your weight. That must be a real good story.
You call it unprovoked like you were there and watched it all unfold

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
No one has even alleged that it was provoked, and his DM doesn’t indicate it either.
His DM said "I wanted to talk" so something happened prior to the punch... Hell, something probably happened between Russell approaching him "to talk" and Russell throwing the punch.

Someone earlier mentioned that the best case scenario here would've been de-escalation. That obviously didn't happen.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is what happened:

I worked for 6 years in bar scene in Tuscaloosa. This scenario happens multiple times every weekend on college campuses across the country when students are out and alcohol is flowing. Seen it time and time again.
Sorry, he waited for him at the next bar. It’s not something that was an automatic reaction. It was bad intent. That blows your theory up.

That’s not lawyer speak. That’s what happened.