SS CIF HS Football, 2022

Globe

Aug 24, 2017
The big game this week is the Bay League clash between Mira Costa and Palos Verdes. Real high school football played by kids from the neighborhood, not recruited from 30 miles away. Mentor vs protege coaches. 3:00 kickoff up on the hill.

101Coast

Sep 3, 2017
The big game this week is the Bay League clash between Mira Costa and Palos Verdes. Real high school football played by kids from the neighborhood, not recruited from 30 miles away. Mentor vs protege coaches. 3:00 kickoff up on the hill.
I wrote a long thread about this but deleted. In short, I remember when the southern section had 5-6 top runningbacks and a handfull of receivers each year, etc.

Now they all wait their turn on a super team and one come out of each class.

Reactions: SGVFlip

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Sounds like you’re a big fan of Juco football vs P5… local kids, not hotshots from all over? How many freshmen are playing for MDHS this year? And of those, how many are starting?
Do you really believe that the coaching and exposure to talented competition is the same or even close?

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
I wrote a long thread about this but deleted. In short, I remember when the southern section had 5-6 top runningbacks and a handfull of receivers each year, etc.

Now they all wait their turn on a super team and one come out of each class.
I remember when I used to look forward to Saturday mornings, reading two newspapers to get updates on the high school games, different areas, various leagues, City, CIF, etc....

Now that talent is concentrated pretty much on catholic leagues that can recruit, well those days are gone...neighborhood schools are really struggling...

Sad....

Reactions: Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I remember when I used to look forward to Saturday mornings, reading two newspapers to get updates on the high school games, different areas, various leagues, City, CIF, etc....

Now that talent is concentrated pretty much on catholic leagues that can recruit, well those days are gone...neighborhood schools are really struggling...

Sad....
In youth sports of all types, kids flock to schools who give them the best coaching, schedules and chances of going up a level and excelling. Baseball players not only strive to play on the best travel teams but players many times get speed/burst coaches and hitting instructors. It isn’t any different for girls. Many kids end up at local schools, but why should a kid that’s got a chance give it up because of how it used to be?

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyon.usc

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Same thing in Hawaii. Back in 1963 when I got to Hawaii, the private HS schools, St. Louis, Punahou, Kamehameha, Iolani recruited many of Hawaii's best players/athletes. However, they did not get many top players. Local schools like Waianae, Farrington, Aiea, Kahuku, Kailua, Radford still had very good players and gave the private schools a hard time and even beat them.

Yeah, it's unfair for private schools to recruit kids; but, that's the world of HS sports. That's why you must give Centennial, Corona a lot of credit, it's a public school that is a national power house annually. Yeah, I know kids transfer there as well, but for the most part their players are from the area.

When Canyon Country HS was king in FB, 98% were from CC and Santa Clarita Valley.

Shoot, Concord-De La Salle got many top players from the San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Stockton, Modesto areas. That's why DLS dominated Calif FB for so many years/decades.

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Same thing in Hawaii. Back in 1963 when I got to Hawaii, the private HS schools, St. Louis, Punahou, Kamehameha, Iolani recruited many of Hawaii's best players/athletes. Not all went there. Local schools like Waianae, Farrington, Aiea, Kahuku, Kailua, Radford gave the private schools a hard time and even beat them.

Yeah, it's unfair for private schools to recruit kids. But, that's the world of HS sports. That's why you must give Centennial, Corona a lot of credit, it's a public school that a national power house annually. Yeah, I know kids transfer there as well, but for the most part their players are from the area.

Shoot, Concord-De La Salle got players from the San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Stockton, Modesto areas. That's why DLS dominated Calif FB for so many years/decades.
If you had a child of great athletic prowess, would you make her/him go local? Would you want him to get the best development?
There’s no right or wrong answer, I’m just wondering?

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017

Sad....
I remember back when ..the powers back then were Loyola, St. Paul, El Rancho, Whittier, Carson, Downey, Anaheim and a few others

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
If you had a child of great athletic prowess, would you make her/him go local? Would you want him to get the best development?
There’s no right or wrong answer, I’m just wondering?
Bruddah dat's a tough question. I think my wife and I would leave it up to our kid and where he would be the happiest. Again going back to Hawaii. 1962-64, Farrington HS had Hawaii's greatest RB, Bob Apisa and 1963-65 Aiea HS had, who I consider Hawaii's top 3 QB's of all time, Sammy Stevens. Both players were highly recruited by the private schools, but elected to play at their local HS. For Sammy, he just wanted to play with his friends that he grew up with. Both found great success in HS athletics. Apisa went on to Michigan St and NFL; he became an All American and won a National Championship. Sammy was so gifted athletically, he was All State in FB, BB, BaseB. Sadly, Sammy Stevens failed academically at Junior College (never went on to a D-1 school). It was thought that Sammy had a reading disorder (dyslexia).

I feel if you have to drive more than an hour to get your kid to school, that's a deal breaker. No school is worth that type of commute. Add up those driving hours, all that time could go to better use for the kid's HS social life (fun & study time). Bottom line, each kid and family must wisely choose which direction that suits the student athlete the best way (athletically, academically, socially and mentally). Happiness should be a big reason for picking a school and sports program.

If the kid is that good of a player, colleges will find him/her. Good examples are Malachi Nelson and Makai Lemon of Los Alamitos HS.

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Mater Dei vs St. John Bosco, MD won a low scoring game, 17-7. This big game was a very hard fought, very physical, defensive battle. Both teams ran the ball well. I appreciated this game Mucho. It's amazing how much talent both teams possess. And, the team speed by both teams is insane. Dang, both teams hit so darn hard, I heard some of the hits from my TV.

MD won because of Elijah Brown Xlent QB play. Elijah was 11/19, 119 yds passing, 0 TD & IT + 1 rushing TD. Elijah was so dam accurate, heck, there were 4 in your hands drops by his Wr's: 2 by Onovughe in the Red Zone, 1 by Ressler in the end zone and 1 for 35 yd by M.Brown. These drops should have = to 14 pts for sure. EB stats should have been 15/19, 79%, 200+ yds + 2 TD's. Elijah is now 24-0 as MD's QB. He is a Winner! C.LR had better get this outstanding QB.

SJB really hurt themselves with many stupid penalties. Clark's IT in the Red & end zone hurt big time. That drive should have = 7 pts. And, like TroyBill said, they had key players that got injured and sat out the rest of the game. Matayo U., DE is a beast, he was all over the field making tackles. Praying he picks USC, according to recruiting predictions Ohio St and Oregon are the favorites...

Last edited:
Reactions: TroyBill

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
After having to forfeit last week's win over Notre Dame for playing ineligible transfer player the Serra Cavaliers win back and forth game on route to 27-21 victory over Bishop Amat to move to 4-3 on the season. Tough break on the forfeit but more games to win ahead! HAIL TO THE RED AND BLUE! GO CAVS!

• Love

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
10-09-22 California Rankings, by MaxPreps

Ovr.
RatingStr.+/-
1Mater Dei (Santa Ana)7-097.360.1--
2St. John Bosco (Bellflower)6-189.055.1--
3Centennial (Corona)6-176.736.7--
4Long Beach Poly (Long Beach)7-065.827.2--
5Mission Viejo6-163.642.2+1
6Serra (San Mateo)6-061.238.3-1
7Edison (Huntington Beach)7-060.931.6+3
8Folsom6-159.636.6-1
9Chaminade (West Hills)7-059.022.4-1
10Los Alamitos5-258.743.6-1
11Orange Lutheran (Orange)6-156.641.7+2
12Serra (Gardena)4-355.746.1+4
13Bishop Amat (La Puente)5-253.541.9-2
14Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita)4-252.039.1+8
15JSerra Catholic (San Juan Capistrano)3-450.856.8-3
16Oak Hills (Hesperia)7-050.813.5-1
17Inglewood7-049.70.5+2
18St. Mary's (Stockton)7-049.613.8+21
19De La Salle (Concord)3-348.846.5-5
20Pittsburg5-148.725.3-2
21Madison (San Diego)7-048.319.8+5
22Citrus Valley (Redlands)5-247.632.7-5
23Warren (Downey)5-147.218.4+2
24Lincoln (San Diego)7-147.020.4-4
25Carlsbad6-147.029.8-2

De La Salle, Serra-Gardena, JSerra-SJ Capristrano should not be in the Top 25. One can make a point their losses were to top teams. Maybe that's how MaxPreps think. I'm not from that school. On the flip side, I would not rank teams high even if they are undefeated. If they are from a weak league and played weak teams in pre-season games, no Top 25 vote for them.

Also, #21 Madison 7-0 should not be in Top 25, they play in a weak league and play weak teams.

I would replace these 4 teams with: #37 Del Oro-Sacramento 7-0, #28 Clovis West-Fresno 7-0, #29 Cajon-San Bernardino, 6-1, and #50 McClymonds-Oakland 4-1 . These 4 teams play in tough leagues and play very good FB teams. MaxPreps really under-rated Del Oro and McClymonds, way off...

San Diego area teams are down this season. Powerhouse teams, #44 Helix 5-2, #40 Cathedral Catholic 3-5, El Camino 5-2, Oceanside 0-7 normally are ranked in the Top 25 Calif rankings. Dang, what's going on with Oceanside? Maybe it's due to their legendary HC Carroll retiring 3 years ago?Normally these schools have strong teams.

Last edited:

Globe

Aug 24, 2017
Palos Verdes 40
Mira Costa 10

The protégé continues his mastery over the mentor.

• Wow

Merlin4SC

Jun 23, 2021

Sad....
I remember when aerospace dried up the first time in the South Bay, some schools were even talking about going to 8 man football after sinking down to lower and lower leagues every year. Pioneer, Marine, Bay, Ocean. Some like Excelsior and St Bernard's actually did that IIRC. They closed Miraleste for a while too, no? Hope they don't get back to that again. And yup, the Daily Breeze had all the scores Saturday morning - I think it's avail online now to go with our coffee and english muffins. South High couldn't score against North in Torrance wow how times changed.

Globe

Aug 24, 2017
I remember when aerospace dried up the first time in the South Bay, some schools were even talking about going to 8 man football after sinking down to lower and lower leagues every year. Pioneer, Marine, Bay, Ocean. Some like Excelsior and St Bernard's actually did that IIRC. They closed Miraleste for a while too, no? Hope they don't get back to that again. And yup, the Daily Breeze had all the scores Saturday morning - I think it's avail online now to go with our coffee and english muffins. South High couldn't score against North in Torrance wow how times changed.
Miraleste never re-opened. I think the campus is used by a middle school now. At one point Peninsula (Rolling Hills) was the only high school on the hill, but PV re-opened in 2003.

Football participation is way down in the South Bay from years past, as it is in many affluent communities. Some of the schools don't have enough kids to field teams at 3 levels anymore.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Miraleste never re-opened. I think the campus is used by a middle school now. At one point Peninsula (Rolling Hills) was the only high school on the hill, but PV re-opened in 2003.

Football participation is way down in the South Bay from years past, as it is in many affluent communities. Some of the schools don't have enough kids to field teams at 3 levels anymore.
Here's a news paper article about these HS that were closed down and even re-opened.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
#17 SSCIF, Warren vs Downey, 49-22. Warren QB-Nico Iamaleava deserves a top 3 QB nation and 5 stars ratings. Saw Nico play 1st time, very impressive QB and FB player. Blessed with a strong arm, has all the throws, tight spirals, has mucho Moxie, very competitive, big boy 6-6 and growing. NL is the better passer than Malachi Nelson. Tennessee is getting a good one.

Warren, #44, EJ Smith, MLB, 6-0, 230 lbs, 3 stars is a very good, fast, hard nose LB. EJ made over 15 solo tackles, in on many other tackles and was all over the place, end to end making plays. Impressive FB player. Love the way he plays, non stop motor and fast/quick, sees the ball quickly, Xlent instincts, very physical, sure tackler. EJ has the speed and skills to cover RB's on passing plays. He reminds me of Groots! EJ has offers from Florida St, Fresno St and Missouri. I think USC should offer and start recruiting him. EJ Smith, Lativius Sua and Tack Curtis would make a solid 2023 LB class.

Last edited:

Trojanfan562

Sep 5, 2017
#17 SSCIF, Warren vs Downey, 49-22. Warren QB-Nico Iamaleava deserves a top 3 QB nation and 5 stars ratings. Saw Nico play 1st time, very impressive QB and FB player. Blessed with a strong arm, has all the throws, tight spirals, has mucho Moxie, very competitive, big boy 6-6 and growing. NL is the better passer than Malachi Nelsen. Tennessee is getting a good one.

Warren, #44, EJ Smith, MLB, 6-0, 230 lbs, 3 stars is a very good, fast, hard nose LB. EJ made over 15 tackles and was all over the place, end to end making plays. Impressive FB player. Love the way he plays, not stop motor and fast/quick, sees the ball quickly. EJ has offers from Florida St, Fresno St and Missouri. I think USC should offer him. EJ Smith and Tack Curtis would make a solid LB class.

Think Nico needs to work on his short and intermediate game. Throws a good deep ball and throws pretty well on the move though.

Globe

Aug 24, 2017
Palos Verdes 35 Redondo 0. The Sea Kings still rule the South Bay.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Think Nico needs to work on his short and intermediate game. Throws a good deep ball and throws pretty well on the move though.
Why are you saying that about his short or intermediate passes? Are you factoring in other games? This was my 1st time seeing NL play. Hell, NL had a sensational passing night. NL passes had so much zip/velocity + tight spirals all night with very good accuracy. Shoot, there were 4 passes that were in your hands drops by his Wr's. NL has a very strong and accurate arm. His bombs, long throws were a thing of beauty.

I've seen Malachi Nelson play 5 times, since his freshman season. 1-5 rating scale: I rate MN passes as a 4 and NL a 5+. NL has a better arm and throws much better than Malachi. Just my opinion. I'm really impressed with Nico's QB skills and his intangibles...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
10-21-22 Games

1. Mater Dei, #1 N, #1 Ca vs Santa Margarita, #10 Ca, MD beat a solid SM team 52-7. QB E.Brown-MD stats: 13/14 = 93%, 301 yds, 2 TD. Man, E.Brown deserves a 5 stars ratings; USC had better land this outstanding QB.

2. St.John Bosco, #4 N, #2 Ca vs Orange Lutheran, #9 Ca, SJB beat a very good OLu team 48-7.

3. Bishop Gorman, Nevada #5 N vs Foothill, Nv, 75-0. BG plays in a weak Las Vegas area league, too bad. But for sure, BG deserves their #5 N ratings.

4. Centennial-Corona, #14 N vs Marietta Valley, 50-7.

6. Los Alamitos, #6 Ca vs Huntington Beach, 48-7

7. Guyer, Tx, #16 N vs Allen, Tx, 49-7. Saw the game on ESPN on 10-20-22, Thursday. Guyer's QB, 5 stars, Jackson Arnold, 6-2, 210 lbs (OU commit) put on a show. I'm really impressed with his QB skills and intangibles. J A stats: 26/29 = 90%, 338 yds, 4 TD's + 1 rushing TD-84 yds. He's big, has all the throws, accurate, strong arm, throws tight spirals and can motor (fast). Man OU is getting a terrific QB. J.Arnold is better than Manning and Nelson of the 23 QB class. After seeing all these QB's play, right now I rate Nico Lamaleava-Warren HS and J.Arnold as the top 2 QB in the 23 class. Nico has the strongest arm and my #1 QB. Geeze, imagine if Nico played at Mater Dei, SJ Bosco, or Bishop Gorman. NL is gonna tear up at Tennessee and under Josh Heupel coaching and creative spread RPR option.

And, I guaranty there are under the radar QB's out there who just have not been discovered yet, plays in a small town, weak FB league just like a (Josh Allen, Aaron Rogers, Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garappolo).

8. Sierra Canyon-Chatsworth, 5-4 record, #25 SSCIF vs Chamanade-West Hills, 8-1, #7 SSCIF, SC beat a good Chamanade team, 49-14. Saw the entire game on TV last night. Final score is deceiving, it was a hard fought battle. Half time it was 14-0. Chamanade is a very good FB team, 2nd half they made stupid penalties and several turn overs. But, give Sierra Canyon all the credit they came out the 2nd half fired up and out played Chamanade. You could tell, these 2 teams do not like one another. Hard hitting all night. Chamanade is a highly rated academic school in Calif and nation.

Beginning this 2022 season Sierra Canyon recorded 4 early losses. I could not believe it, they are always one of SSCIF top teams, but in their defense, the 4 losses were to top SSCIF teams. And, the TV commentators graphically pointed out an important key on TV, SC is an extremely young team with many 9th and 10th graders as starters. Looks like the youngsters are putting it all together now, 9 games into the season. Note: HS tuition at SC = $39,000+, very expensive school. Oh, Sierra Canyon is a national power in HS basketball...

Both teams are big, loaded with skilled players and fast, Xlent team speed. Man, both teams RB's are fast, shifty and strong runners. Both are Calif D-2 type teams and will do well in the D-2 State Championship play offs.

Last edited:

Latest posts