Starting 5 Talk

BGCATFAN2012

All-American
Aug 19, 2020
3,788
5,324
113
Where we at on the lineup talk going into the season? Has injuries pushed anyone or we still looking like August?
 
Last edited:

kyjeff1

Heisman
Sep 8, 2012
51,588
72,704
113
It’s wide open. Cal can go with about 10 combinations and they would all work against just about anybody.

I've been hard on Cal, mostly about his offense, his hard headedness and his priorities, but he has built one hell of a roster this year.

If it was me, based on what I've read, I would go with.
Oscar
Toppin
Collins
Wallace
Wheeler

But part of me really feels like going with

Oscar
Toppin
Livingston
Reeves
Wallace

Either way, It sounds like Collins, Reeves and Wallace have to get big minutes and I don't want to forget about Ado, that guy makes things happen.

Then there's Frederick… ugh.

I don't know how Cal is going to manage this. All these guys deserve to play big minutes.
 

Drcats2025

Heisman
Nov 13, 2012
8,029
16,080
93
Wallace
Reeves
Thiero
Toppin
Oscar

From what little I have seen, this is my 5, with Collins and Wheeler playing big minutes off the bench. Obviously get Livingston some good minutes as well. That said, we all know wheeler will start early on, and this is my prediction for who actually starts:

Wheeler
Wallace
Reeves
Toppin
Oscar
 
  • Like
Reactions: chroix

nickhorvathsuxazz

All-American
Jul 21, 2015
5,777
8,938
0
I love the roster as a whole, but if I’m being perfectly honest, wheeler has to be a backup for this team to reach its peak potential. So gimme:

cason
Antonio
Livingston
Jake
Oscar

6th man Collins
I like that 5...beauty of that line-up is that the only thing we need to do to go small ball is put wheeler in for Oscar and drop everybody else down a slot. Huge amount of versatility on this roster.
 

Son_Of_Saul

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2007
45,969
102,206
113
I love the roster as a whole, but if I’m being perfectly honest, wheeler has to be a backup for this team to reach its peak potential. So gimme:

cason
Antonio
Livingston
Jake
Oscar

6th man Collins
I like this one. Four guys who can shoot the ball surrounding Oscar. Reeves is the only defensive liability in the starting five.
 

track42

Heisman
Feb 18, 2017
6,597
15,047
0
If anyone watched the Bahamas games, the offense moves much faster and fluid with Wheeler running the point. For this team to reach its goals, he is going to have to be the primary pg. The experience factor really pushes him over the top.
He sure led the team far last season.
 
Oct 3, 2022
32
46
0
He sure led the team far last season.
Looking at his stat line he did pretty well. I seem to recall some pretty good games from him, one being against KU. He also rated as one of the best pg last season. I know you're probably still pouty over not getting the result that, as a fan, you felt entitled to, but there really isn't much evidence to support he isn't a top-rated pg.
 

kyjeff1

Heisman
Sep 8, 2012
51,588
72,704
113
Most likely:

Wheeler
Wallace
Livingston
Toppin
Tshiebwe

What I fear:

Wheeler
Wallace
Toppin
Collins
Tshiebwe

What I would like:

Wallace
Reeves
Livingston
Toppin
Tshiebwe
Your fear lineup is the most likely one Cal will go with.

Against uNC, that’s a good lineup to go with. Wheeler is a star in an up and down game.

Problem is, if we played Virginia, Cal will still go with that lineup and it'll be a rock fight to the very end.

That’s one of several things Cal needs to change.
 

kyjeff1

Heisman
Sep 8, 2012
51,588
72,704
113
If anyone watched the Bahamas games, the offense moves much faster and fluid with Wheeler running the point. For this team to reach its goals, he is going to have to be the primary pg. The experience factor really pushes him over the top.
None of those Bahamas opponents slowed the game down. Wheeler is taylor made for that kind of game and I love it when a team wants to run with UK, especially when Wheeler is running the show.

But in a low possession game, Wheeler is a big liability.

Wallace will need some time to adjust, but when he does, he has to be the guy in the NCAAT when we run into a team that plays stall ball.
 

MethodUK

All-Conference
Mar 29, 2009
4,689
1,879
113
I don't care who they start. Just play DEFENSE CONSISTENTLY!!

It all starts with D... 2012 was a great defensive team. I may be the only one but feel like the past 2 years teams would just penatrate our man D every rip with no answer.
 

jameslee32

Heisman
Mar 26, 2009
33,666
22,359
83
Good problem to have no doubt.

Let's go with Oscar, Toppin, Livingston, Wallace and Wheeler and fill it up.
Or Oscar, Collins, Reeves, Fred and Wallace and watch defense. Although I think Thiero is really really good on that end too.
 

bucsrule8872

Heisman
May 30, 2005
24,397
29,352
0
Your fear lineup is the most likely one Cal will go with.

Against uNC, that’s a good lineup to go with. Wheeler is a star in an up and down game.

Problem is, if we played Virginia, Cal will still go with that lineup and it'll be a rock fight to the very end.

That’s one of several things Cal needs to change.
Agreed.

Cal has a roster he could use to matchup against anyone, if he is just willing to play different combos for different situations.

Unfortunately, that is not his philosophy. Flexibility has not been Cal’s strong suit in a very long time.
 

Uk2k4

All-Conference
Jul 24, 2017
1,924
4,167
25
If anyone watched the Bahamas games, the offense moves much faster and fluid with Wheeler running the point. For this team to reach its goals, he is going to have to be the primary pg. The experience factor really pushes him over the top.
Looking at his stat line he did pretty well. I seem to recall some pretty good games from him, one being against KU. He also rated as one of the best pg last season. I know you're probably still pouty over not getting the result that, as a fan, you felt entitled to, but there really isn't much evidence to support he isn't a top-rated pg.
Except the part where St Peters didn’t even guard him.
 
Oct 3, 2022
32
46
0
None of those Bahamas opponents slowed the game down. Wheeler is taylor made for that kind of game and I love it when a team wants to run with UK, especially when Wheeler is running the show.

But in a low possession game, Wheeler is a big liability.

Wallace will need some time to adjust, but when he does, he has to be the guy in the NCAAT when we run into a team that plays stall ball.
I disagree on him not being adequate in half court. We got forced into playing a lot in the half court last season and he still ranked as one of the best pg's in the country. He is a solid 2pt shooter and a really good driver and finisher at the rim. He is a great FT shooter, solid defender and really good floor general. The offense just clicks when he is at the pg with the right mix of players around him. He also has loads of experience that Wallace can't match in a few short months.

Teams also won't be able to slow us down as easily and often this year. We are really fast and long, plus we have a deep bench. We can force the tempo in a lot of games if we choose. And I think we will have more consistent shooters in Wallace, Reeves, Livingston, CJ and Toppin this season to really limit Wheeler from being depended on hitting many.

I do think Wallace will play a good amount at the 1 as well, but Wheeler should start. I hope Thiero gets some minutes at the 1 as well. His size, speed and athleticism will give team fits. Plus he has a nice shot.
 
Last edited:

Wildcats1st

Heisman
Sep 16, 2017
18,949
28,911
0
If anyone watched the Bahamas games, the offense moves much faster and fluid with Wheeler running the point. For this team to reach its goals, he is going to have to be the primary pg. The experience factor really pushes him over the top.
What you saw in the Bahamas is not the college game. What you saw in the Bahamas was no ncaat level teams. If we could run up and down yeah wheeler can’t push it. The fact is that college bb is a halfcourt game especially come March. I’ve seen Cason blow by wheeler in a scrimmage. He’s more athletic, taller, much better shooter. This dude really could be a top 5 pick as a pg. wheeler. It will be a disappointing ending if cal rides him like last year.
 

Wildcats1st

Heisman
Sep 16, 2017
18,949
28,911
0
I disagree on him not being adequate in half court. We got forced into playing a lot in the half court last season and he still ranked as one of the best pg's in the country. He is a solid 2pt shooter and a really good driver and finisher at the rim. He is a great FT shooter, solid defender and really good floor general. The offense just clicks when he is at the pg with the right mix of players around him. He also has loads of experience that Wallace can't match in a few short months.

Teams also won't be able to slow us down as easily and often this year. We are really fast and long, plus we have a deep bench. We can force the tempo in a lot of games if we choose. And I think we will have more consistent shooters in Wallace, Reeves, Livingston, CJ and Toppin this season to really limit Wheeler from being depended on hitting many.

I do think Wallace will play a good amount at the 1 as well, but Wheeler should start. I hope Thiero gets some minutes at the 1 as well. His size, speed and athleticism will give team fits. Plus he has a nice shot.
Dude leadbelly it’s this simple with wheeler when you start spouting “wheeeler one of the best blah blah blah”. “ he lead the sec in assists the last two years blah blah blah”. The bottom line is wheeler doesn’t win. He hasn’t won an ncaa tournament game in 2 years of leading the sec and being one of the best pgs in the country as you say.
 
Oct 3, 2022
32
46
0
Dude leadbelly it’s this simple with wheeler when you start spouting “wheeeler one of the best blah blah blah”. “ he lead the sec in assists the last two years blah blah blah”. The bottom line is wheeler doesn’t win. He hasn’t won an ncaa tournament game in 2 years of leading the sec and being one of the best pgs in the country as you say.
He's only been once. And it wasn't exactly with a healthy team. I can assure you, absent an unexpected issue, Wheeler will be the starting pg and playing the brunt of the minutes there for UK this season, as he should. And I fully expect he helps lead us to a F4, while also contending for the Bob Cousey award for himself.
 

KDCats11

All-Conference
Mar 9, 2008
19,771
3,268
113
Dude leadbelly it’s this simple with wheeler when you start spouting “wheeeler one of the best blah blah blah”. “ he lead the sec in assists the last two years blah blah blah”. The bottom line is wheeler doesn’t win. He hasn’t won an ncaa tournament game in 2 years of leading the sec and being one of the best pgs in the country as you say.
Because as we all know, basketball is only played with one player.
 

Whatsup

All-American
Feb 15, 2011
8,987
8,085
0
Good problem to have no doubt.

Let's go with Oscar, Toppin, Livingston, Wallace and Wheeler and fill it up.
Or Oscar, Collins, Reeves, Fred and Wallace and watch defense. Although I think Thiero is really really good on that end too.
Fred who?
 

BBNinSC_rivals62411

All-American
Jan 2, 2015
2,788
5,696
0
He's only been once. And it wasn't exactly with a healthy team. I can assure you, absent an unexpected issue, Wheeler will be the starting pg and playing the brunt of the minutes there for UK this season, as he should. And I fully expect he helps lead us to a F4, while also contending for the Bob Cousey award for himself.
This. Wheeler and Oscar are the 2 guaranteed starters, the rest are plug and play. Wheeler just needs 5 minutes rest a half to be an All-American PG.
 

storm1507

All-American
Sep 24, 2022
1,730
7,567
103
I don't care who starts. I just hope Cal will adjust who is getting PT according to each game situation. I also hope with this loaded team PT doesn't become a problem for team chemistry.
 

sefus12

Heisman
Dec 22, 2007
7,255
19,288
103
Your fear lineup is the most likely one Cal will go with.

Against uNC, that’s a good lineup to go with. Wheeler is a star in an up and down game.

Problem is, if we played Virginia, Cal will still go with that lineup and it'll be a rock fight to the very end.

That’s one of several things Cal needs to change.
Not many top teams out there changing their starting line up based on opponent.
 

sefus12

Heisman
Dec 22, 2007
7,255
19,288
103
People love to ignore the fact that St Peters did not even guard Wheeler and that’s the reason we lost.

What leads those people to believe that won’t happen again?
Grady: 1-9
TyTy: 2-10
Brooks: 2-7
Wheeler: 4-8 (1-2 from 3)

Wheeler didn’t win us the game but saying he’s the reason we lost is revisionist history made to fit a narrative you have. Odd that we have one of the best, most experienced PGs in the country with scorers all around him and people want him on the bench.
 
Oct 3, 2022
32
46
0
This. Wheeler and Oscar are the 2 guaranteed starters, the rest are plug and play. Wheeler just needs 5 minutes rest a half to be an All-American PG.
I think Toppin is guaranteed a starting spot as well. Very likely that Wallace does start at the 2. I personally think the only position for debate right now is the 3. Reeves seems like the best option to start because of his shooting and scoring, but Livingston is also a solid option, nor would it be a shock to see Call start Collins at the 3.
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Football Clayton White vs. Kentucky: Can the Cats end this streak of dominance?
  2. 02 KSR Football What the Loss of Alex Afari Means for Kentucky
  3. 03 KSR Football South Carolina May Deploy Backup Quarterback Against Kentucky
  4. 04 KSR KSR Gameday: Can Kentucky Snap 4-Game Losing Streak against South Carolina?
  5. 05 KSR Football CFB Cheat Sheet: Week 5