Steve writing a book about his life and how he’s overcome adversity and sh*t

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I mean... why does this message board exist? Why do I cheer for teams that wear maroon and white uniforms with some abbreviation, initialization, or derivative of "Mississippi State University" emblazoned on them? For that matter, why do I own so much maroon and white apparel with some abbreviation, initialization, or derivative of "Mississippi State University" emblazoned on them? Why do/did I cheer for Dak or Slay or Papelbon or Teiara McCowan or Will Clark or Palmeiro or Lawrence Roberts or Eric Dampier YEARS after they've left Mississippi State?

I mean... why ARE you here?
You developed an interest in their game as a result of them having played for teams that you follow. And you developed a love for the school through experiences that are now positive memories.

That has nothing to do with my post. I was pointing out that default support for other Bulldogs, simply because they are Bulldogs, is goofy. Apply that more specifically to the thread's topic- is Robertson even a Bulldog? Did he graduate from MSU? I am not claiming the only way you can be a Bulldog is to have graduated from MSU, but that is what I was commenting on, really. If we expand that out and say anyone who even cheers for MSU sports is a Bulldog, it makes even less sense to just default support someone simply because they cheer for the same college program you cheer for.
Saying 'yeah I support him writing a book simply because his job is to write about MSU sports' should sound really goofy...because it is. If you support him writing a book because you like him as a person or you like him as a writer, then awesome. That makes a ton of sense.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Its a free country. He can write about what he wants and podcast about what he wants. Anybody can choose to read or listen or not. Everybody's happy.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Its a free country. He can write about what he wants and podcast about what he wants. Anybody can choose to read or listen or not. Everybody's happy.
Its a free country. Bud Light can run advertisements with whoever they want. Anybody can choose to watch or purchase or not. Everybody's happy.
Its a free country. Disney can have a black mermaid if they want. Anybody can choose to watch or not. Everybody's happy.

...but is everybody happy? Based on the outrage I read and see, many are firmly unhappy, even though they have a choice to not participate or consume.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You developed an interest in their game as a result of them having played for teams that you follow. And you developed a love for the school through experiences that are now positive memories.

That has nothing to do with my post. I was pointing out that default support for other Bulldogs, simply because they are Bulldogs, is goofy. Apply that more specifically to the thread's topic- is Robertson even a Bulldog? Did he graduate from MSU? I am not claiming the only way you can be a Bulldog is to have graduated from MSU, but that is what I was commenting on, really. If we expand that out and say anyone who even cheers for MSU sports is a Bulldog, it makes even less sense to just default support someone simply because they cheer for the same college program you cheer for.
Saying 'yeah I support him writing a book simply because his job is to write about MSU sports' should sound really goofy...because it is. If you support him writing a book because you like him as a person or you like him as a writer, then awesome. That makes a ton of sense.
Actually, it has everything to do with your post because it all goes back to tribalism. I was like 4 or 5 when Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro played at Mississippi State and have minimal if any recollection of watching them play before Will played for the Giants and Palmeiro played for the Rangers. Outside of my father telling me about them or reading their bios on the back of their baseball cards, I would have seen them as just another good ball player, but them playing at Mississippi State before going pro made them special.

You can think tribalism is 'goofy', but that doesn't stop it from existing and frankly being somewhat prevalent. I know it sounds hokey and overly idealistic, but I really do believe in the 'family' part of the Mississippi State fanbase. We may bicker and fight, but I would still root for any of you bastards over some jackass from Ole Miss.

For example, I don't particularly care for the few Hardy songs I've heard, but I root for him and want him to do well because he's 'one of us'. I don't know if he ever set foot on campus outside of partying or watching sports, but he's one of us. I don't know Steve personally, but I know a lot of folks on this board have a their opinions about him, good or bad, but whatever he does, I want him to do well because, for better or worse, he's 'one of us'. I don't have a kid playing baseball or softball right now, but I did go to the Warstic store in downtown Dallas (which is really cool, btw) and bought some t-shirts because the co-founder, Ben Jenkins, is 'one of us'. Dak - 'one of us'. Papelbon - 'one of us'. McCowan - 'one of us'. The guy that started Mossy Oak - 'one of us'. The guy that started Bryan foods - ' one of us'. Buck Showalter - 'one of us'. WWE Superstar Lash Legend - 'one of us'. CochiseCowbell - 'one of us'. GOAT - 'one of us'. Maroon Eagle - 'one of us'. PooPops - 'one of us'. Ron Polk and ronpolk - 'one of us'. You, mstateglfr, God help us, are one of us and I root for you to do well in your life simply because of that fact.

As far as who is actually 'a Bulldog', well.. I am and I never actually attended Mississippi State. I was born in Starkville while both of my parents were enrolled at State. My father graduated from State, but my mother dropped out when I was born (she went to another school later to finish her degree). I grew up being a Mississippi State fan and I grew up hating Ole Miss. I lived most of my childhood with the intention that I was Starkville bound, but life happens and I ended up at Southern Miss. I 17ing LOVE Mississippi State and always have and always will. It is, in many ways, one of my defining characteristics. I never attended a class at Mississippi State, but I'm a Bulldog and I've literally been a Bulldog since birth.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Actually, it has everything to do with your post because it all goes back to tribalism. I was like 4 or 5 when Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro played at Mississippi State and have minimal if any recollection of watching them play before Will played for the Giants and Palmeiro played for the Rangers. Outside of my father telling me about them or reading their bios on the back of their baseball cards, I would have seen them as just another good ball player, but them playing at Mississippi State before going pro made them special.

You can think tribalism is 'goofy', but that doesn't stop it from existing and frankly being somewhat prevalent. I know it sounds hokey and overly idealistic, but I really do believe in the 'family' part of the Mississippi State fanbase. We may bicker and fight, but I would still root for any of you bastards over some jackass from Ole Miss.

For example, I don't particularly care for the few Hardy songs I've heard, but I root for him and want him to do well because he's 'one of us'. I don't know if he ever set foot on campus outside of partying or watching sports, but he's one of us. I don't know Steve personally, but I know a lot of folks on this board have a their opinions about him, good or bad, but whatever he does, I want him to do well because, for better or worse, he's 'one of us'. I don't have a kid playing baseball or softball right now, but I did go to the Warstic store in downtown Dallas (which is really cool, btw) and bought some t-shirts because the co-founder, Ben Jenkins, is 'one of us'. Dak - 'one of us'. Papelbon - 'one of us'. McCowan - 'one of us'. The guy that started Mossy Oak - 'one of us'. The guy that started Bryan foods - ' one of us'. Buck Showalter - 'one of us'. WWE Superstar Lash Legend - 'one of us'. CochiseCowbell - 'one of us'. GOAT - 'one of us'. Maroon Eagle - 'one of us'. PooPops - 'one of us'. Ron Polk and ronpolk - 'one of us'. You, mstateglfr, God help us, are one of us and I root for you to do well in your life simply because of that fact.

As far as who is actually 'a Bulldog', well.. I am and I never actually attended Mississippi State. I was born in Starkville while both of my parents were enrolled at State. My father graduated from State, but my mother dropped out when I was born (she went to another school later to finish her degree). I grew up being a Mississippi State fan and I grew up hating Ole Miss. I lived most of my childhood with the intention that I was Starkville bound, but life happens and I ended up at Southern Miss. I 17ing LOVE Mississippi State and always have and always will. It is, in many ways, one of my defining characteristics. I never attended a class at Mississippi State, but I'm a Bulldog and I've literally been a Bulldog since birth.

Well. I'm sure of 2 things after reading this post.

#1. ChatGPT sure as hell didn't didn't write that.

#2. @Dawgg is not going to be invited to this year's SPS Player Hater's Ball since he's out here rooting for the rest of us.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
100%

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I've literally been a Bulldog since birth.

Let it be known that I was the first degenerate malcontent poster mentioned after a long list of star athletes and successful entrepreneurs.

I'm pulling for all you 17ers as well. Even Dawg61: I'm pulling for him to pull out of the left lane.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg