Swede - AMA - 2022 Edition

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
And we’re back by popular demand with another Ask Me Anything. Odd subjects encouraged.

For those that missed the first round a few years back - I played for Mississippi State from 2009-2013 as punter.

I'm here to answer your questions on the topics of but not limited to: Football, Dale’s, mole crickets, and if punters are actually people.

I'll be answering as I get time throughout the day(s) based off work so please bear with me if it takes a little while.

Disclaimer - Responses are subject to a heavy dose of sarcasm.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Did you ever feel like the coaches walked into a game knowing they were about to get whipped?
I didn't as a player. There was definitely an apparent level of high stress though when we played Bama or someone high caliber. I also think that coaches probably have a decent idea of how the game is going to go though. Up to them to not let that seep out though.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Did any players ever go off on the coaches - in front of the coaches - that it was uncomfortable?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
How upset were you that you were not part of the 2014 team? Or was it better as a fan?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Any moments in a game or practice that made you say "holy bleep"?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Did any players ever go off on the coaches that it was uncomfortable?
There was always some back and forth here and there that I'd label as healthy. But there's one time that sticks out to me. And this was more provoked than anything. It was a Thursday practice in the fall (I think the 2013 season?). CDM had started getting a little more "physical" in his butt chewings to say the least. He got a little too animated with one of our players and grabbed his facemask while he was yelling at him. I won't share the player's name but he was a starter in the secondary for us. This player was absolutely ready to throw down and would have worked Mullen had coaches and players not jumped in the middle of them.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
If you could have played for any of our last 4-5 coaches, which would it be and why? I'm guessing Mullen doesn't make the final rose ceremony.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I’ve always wondered. What the pre and post game meals are for the players?
Good question. Pre game depended on the time of the game. It was all buffet style though.

So if we had an 11am game, it'd be breakfast (around 8am or so). Standard run of the mill stuff. Powdered eggs. Hash browns. Bacon. Etc.

If it was a later game then it'd be a little more carb heavy. Pasta. Chicken. Green beans. Bread. Etc.

So nothing crazy or out of the ordinary food wise.

Post game always made me laugh. The wrap up speech by coaches would always be "Take care of your bodies. Hydrate. Eat good. Don't go crazy tonight.". Then they'd turn around and give us Popeye's chicken LOL. So post game was typically fast food of some sort. Popeye's, Chick Fil a, etc.

If it was a home game I was headed straight to the Bin for some nachos. Just me personally though.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
If NIL would have been a thing when you played, what would be your worth and dream deal?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
There was always some back and forth here and there that I'd label as healthy. But there's one time that sticks out to me. And this was more provoked than anything. It was a Thursday practice in the fall (I think the 2013 season?). CDM had started getting a little more "physical" in his butt chewings to say the least. He got a little too animated with one of our players and grabbed his facemask while he was yelling at him. I won't share the player's name but he was a starter in the secondary for us. This player was absolutely ready to throw down and would have worked Mullen had coaches and players not jumped in the middle of them.
Would said player ever piss in the bushes?

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I'm guessing the answer is ego but why are so many coaches resistant to changing things up when they aren't working?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
How upset were you that you were not part of the 2014 team? Or was it better as a fan?
Oh bro I was so mad. But happy at the same time. It was such a weird time for me.

On one hand, I had put in 5 years of grueling work. And the minute I left, bam we're number 1. But I still knew pretty much everyone on the team so it was fun to live vicariously through them.

On the other hand, after 5 years of that plus what happened my senior year, I was so burned out. Like unbelievably burned out of anything Mississippi State football. There were plenty of games that year I just didn't even watch. I had to kinda take a break from it all because it took such a mental toll on me. But again it sucked because we were ROLLING that year.

I was so burnt out that during combine day at State, Felkar called me and was like "Are you coming? The Colts and Jets want to see you punt". I told Rockey that I greatly appreciated it but I've punted my last football and best of luck to them.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Any moments in a game or practice that made you say "holy bleep"?
Way too many honestly. From getting stopped on the goal line at Auburn in 2011, my career best game at Arkansas in 2011, to bobbling the snap in the endzone and almost costing us the Egg Bowl in 2013. It was a wild ride. Come to Birmingham and I can give you some NSFW stories lol.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
If you could have played for any of our last 4-5 coaches, which would it be and why? I'm guessing Mullen doesn't make the final rose ceremony.
Man great question. And that's a tough one honestly. I THINK it'd have to be JWS. From a nostalgia standpoint. But word is that while he coached the punters and kickers hard, they were also his boys. That's something I could get on board with every day all day. Croom recruited me all the way through though so I have a soft spot for him. He didn't win many games but I think I would've come out a better person.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
What position group (besides the punters) was overall the most fun to hang out with away from campus?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I'm guessing the answer is ego but why are so many coaches resistant to changing things up when they aren't working?
I can only speculate but I think it has a lot to do with they've all spent hours game planning all week and applying that plan in practice. So I bet it's hard to pivot come game time when you've been practicing all week to box with your right hand and now all of the sudden you've gotta box with your left. Not justifying it, but that'd be my non-educated opinion.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The 2012 #WeBelieve game at Bama…. Did you actually believe? And what was the vibe around the team as that season kinda fell apart at the end of the year?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I know LSU get's a lot of pub but what stadium did you think was the most intimidating to play in ?

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Hotel rooms. Never have understood why the teams gets hotel rooms for home games. Did you at least get same hotel/same room for night before, or is that another adjustment the players have to make?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
The 2012 #WeBelieve game at Bama…. Did you actually believe? And what was the vibe around the team as that season kinda fell apart at the end of the year?
I cautiously believed. I say cautious because I grew up a State fan. And learned from an early age just leave it to Bama to rip your heart out. Not because I didn't think we could do it.

It was certainly a let down for sure. We knew the teams we were supposed to beat but were pissed that we couldn't quite knock off the teams that we weren't supposed to beat.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
What did you think of Dak after the first time you met him? Natural born leader?

And do you have Dak's number in your phone?