Swede - AMA - 2022 Edition

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Good question. Pre game depended on the time of the game. It was all buffet style though.

So if we had an 11am game, it'd be breakfast (around 8am or so). Standard run of the mill stuff. Powdered eggs. Hash browns. Bacon. Etc.

If it was a later game then it'd be a little more carb heavy. Pasta. Chicken. Green beans. Bread. Etc.

So nothing crazy or out of the ordinary food wise.
Did it being buffet ever cause problems with people overeating before the game? Was it early enough that even people that people in football shape just couldn't eat enough taht it would bother them hours later? Or was it just that nobody is a dubmass like me and can remember the consequences of that 5 and 6th trip to the buffet so they don't do it more than once?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I know LSU get's a lot of pub but what stadium did you think was the most intimidating to play in ?
Florida. Hands down. The way the stadium is laid out is what makes it intimidating. The stands come all the way down to the field and it feels like everyone is just on top of you. Kinda like that weird talkative relative that follows you around at family events. That probably had too much to drink. And is now making you think on your feet of ways to deflect them on to someone else. Because at the end of the day you just want some fried turkey and sweet tea. You're not there to bother anyone. But you're stressed and constantly looking over your shoulder when you should be catching up on how Aunt Meg's bad back is and if she thinks the president is the anti-Christ.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Hotel rooms. Never have understood why the teams gets hotel rooms for home games. Did you at least get same hotel/same room for night before, or is that another adjustment the players have to make?
They do the hotel room thing because at the end of the day, the team is made up of a bunch of idiot college guys with unlimited access to the female likeness. Coupled with access to alcohol. Coupled with the frat boy that's jealous that wants to take a shot at a player. Just too many things to go bad. So the hotel allows the coaches to keep everyone hemmed in.

We always stayed at the Hilton in Starkville but I think I saw that the team now stays in Columbus. I don't think I got the same room every time per se but the rooms were all the same. Not too bad of an adjustment in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
What did you think of Dak after the first time you met him? Natural born leader?

And do you have Dak's number in your phone?
Absolutely. Natural born leader. I think I still have one of his phone numbers. I think he changes it on the regular though.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Did it being buffet ever cause problems with people overeating before the game? Was it early enough that even people that people in football shape just couldn't eat enough taht it would bother them hours later? Or was it just that nobody is a dubmass like me and can remember the consequences of that 5 and 6th trip to the buffet so they don't do it more than once?
Haha. Probably a little yes and no here. On Saturday, you're on such a regiment that you'll have to work hard to over eat simply from a time stand point. The meal is lasting a max of 30 minutes then you're into film session, walk throughs, or getting on the bus. You also have strength coaches monitoring the buffet line to kinda run interference if need be. You're also dealing with pre-game nerves and that typically slowed everyone down eating-wise. Lastly, you're eating no later than 2 1/2 hours before kick off so even if you did over-eat, after warm ups and all that jazz, it's coming out. Somewhere. Be careful.

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
And we’re back by popular demand with another Ask Me Anything. Odd subjects encouraged.

For those that missed the first round a few years back - I played for Mississippi State from 2009-2013 as punter.

I'm here to answer your questions on the topics of but not limited to: Football, Dale’s, mole crickets, and if punters are actually people.

I'll be answering as I get time throughout the day(s) based off work so please bear with me if it takes a little while.

Disclaimer - Responses are subject to a heavy dose of sarcasm.

What really goes on during recruiting visits and do you have a particularly good story from a visit?

Conman90

Mar 3, 2008
I have old Army buddies I talk to weekly or more, even if we don't get together very often. Who on the team do you still talk to on a regular basis, if any.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It was certainly a let down for sure. We knew the teams we were supposed to beat but were pissed that we couldn't quite knock off the teams that we weren't supposed to beat.
Follow up question on this, so I get that we always lose to Bama and LSU, and A&M had a great team with Manziel that year. So I’ve never had much issue reconciling those three losses. What do you feel like was our issue in the 2012 Egg Bowl though? I remember the game was basically a pickem in Vegas but us getting blown out by a then 5-6 Ole Miss really shocked me.

Also, since I’m pretty sure that was the only Egg Bowl loss you were apart of, how did everybody take that loss? It’s the one EB that sticks out like a sore thumb in that 2009-2013 era.

May 23, 2022
Besides the 2007 win over Saban against bama, Saban's teams have seemed way too precise in their reading of MSU's game play. did you or anyone on the team suspect anyone inside at MSU of selling plans, plays, or any strategic game information to anyone from bama?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
What really goes on during recruiting visits and do you have a particularly good story from a visit?
I'm probably not the best to ask lol. Punters typically don't get the royal treatment in the recruiting process sadly. But they typically have a player take you out to grab some food, hit up bars/clubs, put you in front of good looking people, etc. And that was like 15 years ago. I don't even know what that looks like today.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I have old Army buddies I talk to weekly or more, even if we don't get together very often. Who on the team do you still talk to on a regular basis, if any.
I talk a good bit with my brother in law since we're family now. I keep up Depasquale, Bell, and Sobiesk. Then I'll randomly catch up with Brauchle here and there. I keep up with Feld too since he's a big dog down at Miami these days. I'm sure there a few I'm missing though.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Follow up question on this, so I get that we always lose to Bama and LSU, and A&M had a great team with Manziel that year. So I’ve never had much issue reconciling those three losses. What do you feel like was our issue in the 2012 Egg Bowl though? I remember the game was basically a pickem in Vegas but us getting blown out by a then 5-6 Ole Miss really shocked me.

Also, since I’m pretty sure that was the only Egg Bowl loss you were apart of, how did everybody take that loss? It’s the one EB that sticks out like a sore thumb in that 2009-2013 era.
Yeah that whole game was weird. I had actually heard a conspiracy theory around that one once upon a time. The conspiracy theory was that the SEC wanted Ole Miss to be bowl eligible too so they made it happen in the Egg Bowl. I remember CDM being oddly distant during that game. Like not really fired up or anything. Hell he called a fake punt in the 3rd quarter that I completely did not hear and punted the ball. Any other time CDM would've been all over me on that. I ran off confused about the play and he just simply said in a normal tone, "I called a fake, you dumbass". And that was the end of it. Again, just a perspective and an opinion. So take it for what it's worth.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I cant believe it hasn’t already been mentioned…

what happened with the headset deal at Auburn?
None of us really know but man that seemed fishy. All coaches had to put the headsets down due to a technical error and all of the sudden we start moving the ball like we're playing a JV team? Yeah something was off that game.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Besides the 2007 win over Saban against bama, Saban's teams have seemed way too precise in their reading of MSU's game play. did you or anyone on the team suspect anyone inside at MSU of selling plans, plays, or any strategic game information to anyone from bama?
Nah. I think they were/are just that good honestly.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Please rank these road game environs:
  • 2009 at Middle Tennessee State
  • 2010 at Houston
  • 2011 at Memphis (Liberty Bowl)
  • 2011 at UAB (Legion Field)
  • 2012 at Troy
I was at all of these by the way. In fact the only game I would have missed during your entire time was 2013 South Carolina.

Fedexdog

Oct 11, 2022
What was the players reaction to CDM screaming in Manny Diaz’s face during games. It was awkward to watch on TV.

Reactions: Ghostman

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Oh bro I was so mad. But happy at the same time. It was such a weird time for me.

On one hand, I had put in 5 years of grueling work. And the minute I left, bam we're number 1. But I still knew pretty much everyone on the team so it was fun to live vicariously through them.

On the other hand, after 5 years of that plus what happened my senior year, I was so burned out. Like unbelievably burned out of anything Mississippi State football. There were plenty of games that year I just didn't even watch. I had to kinda take a break from it all because it took such a mental toll on me. But again it sucked because we were ROLLING that year.

I was so burnt out that during combine day at State, Felkar called me and was like "Are you coming? The Colts and Jets want to see you punt". I told Rockey that I greatly appreciated it but I've punted my last football and best of luck to them.
I get how you felt. Hell, just coming out of high school ball I was so tired of the game I didn't go to games my first two years as a student living on campus.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Please rank these road game environs:
  • 2009 at Middle Tennessee State
  • 2010 at Houston
  • 2011 at Memphis (Liberty Bowl)
  • 2011 at UAB (Legion Field)
  • 2012 at Troy
I was at all of these by the way. In fact the only game I would have missed during your entire time was 2013 South Carolina.
  • 2009 at Middle Tennessee State - Cold. Beyond cold. Could not feel my feet at halftime cold. Did I mention it was cold? I'll never forget, MTSU made a sack or something early in the game. Some fan in the stands stood up, beat his chest, and said "Welcome to the Sun Belt!". We were all like, really dude?
  • 2010 at Houston - Terrible, God awful locker rooms. And by locker rooms I mean a space that had air under the stadium. Decent game time environment.
  • 2011 at Memphis (Liberty Bowl) - Nerve wracking. That was my first ever game to play in. Sigh of relief after that game.
  • 2011 at UAB (Legion Field) - Windy and we all wondered why tf we're playing at Legion Field. No one wanted to be at that game. And the score showed it lol.
  • 2012 at Troy - Good clear night for college football I remember. I remember us having to pull that one out though. I think I had a good punt that game.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Are you ever around people throwing a football that don’t know you were an SEC punter and just punt a ball to see the look on their faces? i.e. Soccer tournaments/ tailgates I remember we’d punt the ball around and think we were doing something then Andy Russ would punt and we’d just hang our heads.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
What was the best/worst visitor's locker room in the SEC?
Best I'd say Bama's and Florida's were tied. Both were the old home team locker rooms so they were actually laid out nice and you could move around a little.

Worst - Arkansas at Little Rock is up there. For obvious reasons. Auburn's weren't bad per se but they removed the bathroom stall doors. And the toilets are laid out 3 toilets on one side and 3 directly across from them. So you're working out the bad powdered eggs before the game and you look up and see a 300 pound d-lineman birthing a fecal baby across from you. That'll mess with your mind a little.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Are you ever around people throwing a football that don’t know you were an SEC punter and just punt a ball to see the look on their faces? i.e. Soccer tournaments/ tailgates I remember we’d punt the ball around and think we were doing something then Andy Russ would punt and we’d just hang our heads.
Haha I haven't had that opportunity yet. Honestly, I'd be scared of if I could even make contact with the ball anymore. Something we should re-create at the SPS tailgate?

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Did you have a pregame psych up ritual? What was the weirdest pregame psych up ritual that any of your teammates had?

Aug 15, 2011
What was the craziest thing said to you by an opposing player out on the field? Could you hear anybody jawing at you while waiting on a snap?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
he called a fake punt in the 3rd quarter that I completely did not hear and punted the ball. Any other time CDM would've been all over me on that. I ran off confused about the play and he just simply said in a normal tone, "I called a fake, you dumbass". And that was the end of it.
That's good stuff. Funny!

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
aTm just had 3 players suspended for smoking pot pregame. Nicky Fitz says it happens way more than you’d think.

Did you ever see that happen at State?

And thanks for doing these, they are a lot of fun to read. Feel free to share any story you want, if you have any good ones we haven’t got to yet.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Which teammate was the prankster? Who was the goofball? Who was the funniest you played with?

Which coach was the most respected?

If you answered these in the last AMA, my apologies. Thanks again for doing this.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
  • 2009 at Middle Tennessee State - Cold. Beyond cold. Could not feel my feet at halftime cold. Did I mention it was cold? I'll never forget, MTSU made a sack or something early in the game. Some fan in the stands stood up, beat his chest, and said "Welcome to the Sun Belt!". We were all like, really dude?
  • 2010 at Houston - Terrible, God awful locker rooms. And by locker rooms I mean a space that had air under the stadium. Decent game time environment.
  • 2011 at Memphis (Liberty Bowl) - Nerve wracking. That was my first ever game to play in. Sigh of relief after that game.
  • 2011 at UAB (Legion Field) - Windy and we all wondered why tf we're playing at Legion Field. No one wanted to be at that game. And the score showed it lol.
  • 2012 at Troy - Good clear night for college football I remember. I remember us having to pull that one out though. I think I had a good punt that game.

MTSU - Yes, yes it was. Brutally cold. We got a free hotel room out of that because a mouse scurried across the floor the night before.
UAB - Also accurate
Troy - The PA announcer there got in my head, he was so over the top. I remember their video board was the ESPN3 feed with random cut-ins. And they rolled some silly fighter jet built on a gocart out on the field after they scored. I remember watching yall have to walk about a quarter mile to where the visiting locker rooms were up the street from the back end of the stadium.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Did the team have any inkling that Johnny Manziel was going to come into Starkville in 2012 and totally kick our ***? As a fan I definitely didn't. How did the team react during and after that game?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Did you have a pregame psych up ritual? What was the weirdest pregame psych up ritual that any of your teammates had?
Yeah I typically listened to Explosions in the Sky and soft stuff to keep me calm for most of the time at the hotel. Once we hopped on the bus I switched over to more crazy music. Other than that, nothing too crazy ritual wise. I don't think anyone else had anything crazy either to be honest. They blare music in the locker room so it's a lot more loose than you'd expect.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter