Swede - AMA - 2022 Edition

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Did you ever take any hard hits?
Ever make a tackle?
When we played Auburn in 2012, a guy almost blocked one of my punts. I didn't think much of it but then that same guy circled around and hit me in the back. Hit me so hard that my cleat fell off. I was PISSED.

My claim to fame is that I tripped up Brandon Boykin when we played at Georgia.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
paul dunne things GIF

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It was frustrating for sure. Word was that our DC at the time (Not Manny and not Collins, the guy in the middle. Can't remember his name) said we would have to run a 4 man front to have a shot. Mullen shot it down multiple times and made us play a 3 man front. And we all know how that turned out. They got in a shouting match on the sidelines over it. It was tough from a team standpoint just because we feel like we weren't even in the hunt the entire time.

I thought Wilson was an idiot for watching what LSU did with elite athletes at DE and trying to copy it when we had to move Caleb Eulls from DT to DE, where he just was a step slow. And I believe that was a game where Chris Wilson's wife had a semi-altercation with a fan behind her trashing Wilson and not realizing who he was sitting behind. If that was Mullen, he sure let Wilson hang out to dry on it.

Think that was the year we also let Moncrief get lined up against Nikoe Whitley (when he was playing on a bum knee) repeatedly when we had Jonathan Banks and Darius Slay at CB. Damn criminal to repeatedly put him in a position to fail like that after all he did. Glad he got to end it on a good note in the egg bowl in 2013.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I've heard CML say his offense in some ways is not that different from the old triple-option. I've long wondered if it would be unrealistic to have some of the o-linemen down the depth chart be trained enough in a true, flat-out triple-option, as in the way Bellard ran it at State in the 80's, or the way Army & Navy still do (I think) to be effective enough to bring in on an occasional series.

Linemen in tight, as opposed to spread. Blocking in a way appropriate for that style offense, running QB under center, backs aligned as they would be, etc. Can you imagine how much trouble that might cause opposing defenses if we could do that? Think about the nightmare it could be for the opposing DC. We know it can be stopped, but in general it requires the defense to spend considerable time to prep for it and the player to be extra disciplined.

I bet it would be something if the other team's defense had to prepare for both possibilities in one week.

But I'm also thinking it would take away precious coaching time in our existing offense away from the players used. But again, if you could do it with guys not on the 2-deep, is it not necessarily a crazy idea? I've got to believe the QB & RB's and any WR used would not have much trouble adjusting. But the o-line would be the major difference.

Still, I do wonder if even that time spent with non-2-deep o-linemen could be useful in their overall development.

Since you know the value and time limits associated with practicing & prepping, I figure you would have an informed opinion of whether it is even possible or a complete non-sensical pipe-dream.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Coaches didn't. That's a crazy lifestyle man. During the season, they're putting in CRAZY hours. Like 18-20 hours days. Not even kidding.

I think some of the players did. I always followed on here just to see what the pulse of the fan base was.
Thanks, Swede. Sometimes when I see some of our fans on here blasting our players, or berating our coaches, I cringe a little wondering how that might affect the moral or mental state of the players who do follow the boards. I also wonder if recruits considering us see that stuff and get turned off.

Reactions: Dawg84
Jul 26, 2021
When we played Auburn in 2012, a guy almost blocked one of my punts. I didn't think much of it but then that same guy circled around and hit me in the back. Hit me so hard that my cleat fell off. I was PISSED.

My claim to fame is that I tripped up Brandon Boykin when we played at Georgia.

Was a flag thrown? My guess is no.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I’ve often wondered if kickers and punters truly are embraced within the team, seeing as how their job is so specialized. How was your experience? Did you feel a part of the team or did they kind of ignore you most of the time?

Jul 26, 2021
What’s the longest punt you’ve ever seen, and what’s the longest punt you’ve ever kicked?

If my memory serves me correctly, I think I remember us kicking like a 70 (+?) yard punt as a kid (with rolling bounces). I may be “misremembering” this, though, Roger Clemens style.

ETA: Google search says some dude with the Patriots kicked a 93 yarder apparently.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Coaches didn't. That's a crazy lifestyle man. During the season, they're putting in CRAZY hours. Like 18-20 hours days. Not even kidding.

I think some of the players did. I always followed on here just to see what the pulse of the fan base was.
Thanks for reading.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I've heard CML say his offense in some ways is not that different from the old triple-option. I've long wondered if it would be unrealistic to have some of the o-linemen down the depth chart be trained enough in a true, flat-out triple-option, as in the way Bellard ran it at State in the 80's, or the way Army & Navy still do (I think) to be effective enough to bring in on an occasional series.

Linemen in tight, as opposed to spread. Blocking in a way appropriate for that style offense, running QB under center, backs aligned as they would be, etc. Can you imagine how much trouble that might cause opposing defenses if we could do that? Think about the nightmare it could be for the opposing DC. We know it can be stopped, but in general it requires the defense to spend considerable time to prep for it and the player to be extra disciplined.

I bet it would be something if the other team's defense had to prepare for both possibilities in one week.

But I'm also thinking it would take away precious coaching time in our existing offense away from the players used. But again, if you could do it with guys not on the 2-deep, is it not necessarily a crazy idea? I've got to believe the QB & RB's and any WR used would not have much trouble adjusting. But the o-line would be the major difference.

Still, I do wonder if even that time spent with non-2-deep o-linemen could be useful in their overall development.

Since you know the value and time limits associated with practicing & prepping, I figure you would have an informed opinion of whether it is even possible or a complete non-sensical pipe-dream.
I mean it sounds logical to me. I just don't think it'd be possible due to time constraints. You "officially" have a max of 20 hours a week for football during the season (if I remember right). Key word "official". The o-lineman are constantly running scout team for the 1D during practice each day so there's really not much time at all to implement it. But hey, I like your thinking.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Thanks, Swede. Sometimes when I see some of our fans on here blasting our players, or berating our coaches, I cringe a little wondering how that might affect the moral or mental state of the players who do follow the boards. I also wonder if recruits considering us see that stuff and get turned off.
Yeah I cringe equally. These players and coaches are putting in way more time than any of us fans would dream of. Some rationalize their bad behavior with saying, at this level this is just part of it. Or this is what they signed up for. Yeah no one signs up for public critique or being berated. I get as frustrated as any fan when we lose or don't play well. I get frustrated with coaches and players. That's totally fair. But when there's name calling and berating, it doesn't do anything. You're not supporting your alma mater at that point. It doesn't make anyone play better or coach better. I received my fair share of criticism when I played and I had to always remind myself of "The Man in the Arena" speech by Teddy Roosevelt. We don't get criticized publicly at our jobs (most of us). I'd also be willing to bet the name callers and the berater's would absolutely buckle if the roles were reversed.

There are players that read this board among other boards. When your own fan base is against you, it's a pretty tough row to hoe. Then fans want to cry about loyalty when players enter the transfer portal. Support the players and coaches. Expect nothing but greatness. And remember that these players are sons and these coaches are people.

Sorry for the rant.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I’ve often wondered if kickers and punters truly are embraced within the team, seeing as how their job is so specialized. How was your experience? Did you feel a part of the team or did they kind of ignore you most of the time?
Honestly we were always treated as an equal part of the team among the players. Us having to do the same strength and conditioning regime really really helped that. It killed me but it also garnered us equal respect among teammates.

Now beyond our teammates, we were always treated like second class citizens. You name it - CDM, some assistant coaches, equipment managers, trainers. But it's also part of the territory I guess.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
What’s the longest punt you’ve ever seen, and what’s the longest punt you’ve ever kicked?

If my memory serves me correctly, I think I remember us kicking like a 70 (+?) yard punt as a kid (with rolling bounces). I may be “misremembering” this, though, Roger Clemens style.

ETA: Google search says some dude with the Patriots kicked a 93 yarder apparently.
I think the longest one I've seen was like maybe 70+? I guess it also depends on if you want to count practice or games. We'd hit a few 70 yarders in practice. I think game wise my longest was only in the 60's or so.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Did any professor give you trouble or cause any grief because you needed some accommodation due to football obligations?
I never got any trouble but I did get plenty of eye rolls. Some professors just despised anything athletics. Fortunately, there weren't a bunch of them.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
I thought Wilson was an idiot for watching what LSU did with elite athletes at DE and trying to copy it when we had to move Caleb Eulls from DT to DE, where he just was a step slow. And I believe that was a game where Chris Wilson's wife had a semi-altercation with a fan behind her trashing Wilson and not realizing who he was sitting behind. If that was Mullen, he sure let Wilson hang out to dry on it.

Think that was the year we also let Moncrief get lined up against Nikoe Whitley (when he was playing on a bum knee) repeatedly when we had Jonathan Banks and Darius Slay at CB. Damn criminal to repeatedly put him in a position to fail like that after all he did. Glad he got to end it on a good note in the egg bowl in 2013.
Check out my conspiracy theory about the egg bowl on page 2 or 3 lol. It's starting to come together.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Ole Miss pretty much had me in the bag. They were recruiting me the hardest.
That's kind of disappointing to hear considering it's coming from a life-long State fan who dreamed of playing at State. Not knocking you because it has happened quite a bit. It's disappointing knowing OM can be that manipulative. What were they doing differently that would make you even consider them?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
That's kind of disappointing to hear considering it's coming from a life-long State fan who dreamed of playing at State. Not knocking you because it has happened quite a bit. It's disappointing knowing OM can be that manipulative. What were they doing differently that would make you even consider them?
Honestly it was more-so a lack of recruiting intensity on State's side for the most part. I had 3 different coaches from Ole Miss texting me all the time. Letters. Phone calls. Always wanting me to come up to Oxford for games and practices. You name it. So nothing earth shattering but constantly all over me.

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
Yeah I cringe equally. These players and coaches are putting in way more time than any of us fans would dream of. Some rationalize their bad behavior with saying, at this level this is just part of it. Or this is what they signed up for. Yeah no one signs up for public critique or being berated. I get as frustrated as any fan when we lose or don't play well. I get frustrated with coaches and players. That's totally fair. But when there's name calling and berating, it doesn't do anything. You're not supporting your alma mater at that point. It doesn't make anyone play better or coach better. I received my fair share of criticism when I played and I had to always remind myself of "The Man in the Arena" speech by Teddy Roosevelt. We don't get criticized publicly at our jobs (most of us). I'd also be willing to bet the name callers and the berater's would absolutely buckle if the roles were reversed.

There are players that read this board among other boards. When your own fan base is against you, it's a pretty tough row to hoe. Then fans want to cry about loyalty when players enter the transfer portal. Support the players and coaches. Expect nothing but greatness. And remember that these players are sons and these coaches are people.

Sorry for the rant.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
And we’re back by popular demand with another Ask Me Anything. Odd subjects encouraged.

For those that missed the first round a few years back - I played for Mississippi State from 2009-2013 as punter.

I'm here to answer your questions on the topics of but not limited to: Football, Dale’s, mole crickets, and if punters are actually people.

I'll be answering as I get time throughout the day(s) based off work so please bear with me if it takes a little while.

Disclaimer - Responses are subject to a heavy dose of sarcasm.
Spending time around coaches, it seems they aways believe they will win, that their game plan will work, no matter the opponent or odds. For example if Vandy played Bama this year, I think Clark Lea would believe Vandy is going to win. Are all coaches like that?

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I think the longest one I've seen was like maybe 70+? I guess it also depends on if you want to count practice or games. We'd hit a few 70 yarders in practice. I think game wise my longest was only in the 60's or so.
Want to see one go 112 yards. Happened to Toledo just last Saturday.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Did you ever have a “wow, I just felt famous” moment?
The first time I saw myself on the jumbotron when they did player intro's. That was pretty cool. Being on the old NCAA football games was pretty cool too.

It hardly happens anymore but just being recognized in public. With that said, it always produces a huge eye roll from my wife. So please please please if you see me out and about, come up to us and pretend like I'm famous. I will give you cash just to get that eye roll. Lol

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Best bowl swag?
The Gator Bowl in 2010 was probably the best for swag. That was back when the New Year's day bowl was a big deal. I think it's kinda diluted now. I still have all of my bowl watches. Was recently looking at them the other day and the 2010 Gator Bowl watch is actually a Bulova. I was kind of impressed.

Reactions: Conman90

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Spending time around coaches, it seems they aways believe they will win, that their game plan will work, no matter the opponent or odds. For example if Vandy played Bama this year, I think Clark Lea would believe Vandy is going to win. Are all coaches like that?
I think all coaches are pretty convincing that they think they're going to win if that makes sense. I think deep down they have a good idea of how the game is going to go. But I could be wrong.

wasabaka

Sep 17, 2012
Did you play other positions growing up/in high school, or were you always specialized as a punter/kicker? Did you play other sports as well?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Did you play other positions growing up/in high school, or were you always specialized as a punter/kicker? Did you play other sports as well?
Yep. I actually played tennis for a long time. Did private lessons from age 4 to age 12. Got to junior high and had to choose between tennis and baseball. Chose baseball. Played baseball and football all the way through. Did a little track (high jump. Who woulda thunk). Played RB 7-8th grade years. Played QB 9th grade year. Safety and WR 10th grade year. QB in 11th. Then strictly punted my 12th grade year.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
What made you decide to punt full time in 12th grade? Had you punted at all prior to that or was it brand new to you? What about place kicker, did you ever consider that?

Really appreciate you doing this. It has been a fun read.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
What's scarier - having a full on punt-block attempt coming at you while you're on one leg, or having a full sprinting blocker coming at you because the returner broke one and you're the last line of defense? Did you ever have a "close your eyes grit your teeth and hope you don't die" moments during a game?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
What made you decide to punt full time in 12th grade? Had you punted at all prior to that or was it brand new to you? What about place kicker, did you ever consider that?

Really appreciate you doing this. It has been a fun read.
Absolutely buddy. Glad to do it.
I had punted since 8th grade. Ended up going to a few kicking camps early on during that time and won them all so my parents and I figured we should pursue it.
I didn’t want to risk getting hurt playing any other positions my senior year to be honest. I had an offer in hand from State so it just seemed to make the most sense.
I never really had to place kick in high school as we always seemed to have a pretty good soccer player that could do it.
Punting just kinda came natural to me. I remember being in 5th and 6th grade and could punt spirals and turn them over.

Reactions: Augustus McCrae

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
What's scarier - having a full on punt-block attempt coming at you while you're on one leg, or having a full sprinting blocker coming at you because the returner broke one and you're the last line of defense? Did you ever have a "close your eyes grit your teeth and hope you don't die" moments during a game?
Good question. Forgive my grammar if any. Just hopped on a plane.
Honestly I’d say being the last line of defense. As crazy as it sounds, covering and tackling and all of that is so secondary at the college level for a punter. And you’re usually up against an elite athlete that’s trying to make you look like an idiot. Plus I’m slow and white so genetics are not on my side at that point. My strategy was to hide behind one of my shield guys as long as I could, then use the element of surprise to pop out at the last second and hopefully trip them up. My philosophy was I’m not going to be able to go head up with an elite punt returner. And if I do get a piece of him, physics is not on my side. So the best bet was to use surprise to my advantage. Fortunately I didn’t have to do this much. I mean I can only remember twice actually having to cover and tackle. Georgia in 2011 and Auburn in 2013. Our punt team was just so elite. And I don’t want to take any credit at all. I had guys like Darius Slay as gunners. So all I have to do is put the ball in the right position and that’s it.
For the punt block stuff, you get so used to it in practice it just kinda becomes second nature. You just get used to chaos happening all around you. And you really develop trust in your shield. But to CDM’s credit, we had it down to a literal science. The way our scheme worked is if we got the ball off in 2 seconds flat and the ball left my foot at the exact spot behind my shield, they’ll never block it. Physically it will not happen. So that was kind of nice to have the science on your side.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Typically we'd go out before practice to get warmed up. Practice starts and periods 1-2 are punt team. So 1st and 2nd team punt getting looks from the scout team. From there, I was pretty much done from a team practice standpoint. We would go to our field and typically do drills and such. To your point, you just can't physically punt balls for 2-3 hours every day. So it was kinda backwards almost. Full punt first, then the rest of practice you're working on drills and maybe correcting stuff that you didn't do well in team periods.

Yep we went through the same strength and conditioning as everyone else. I hated it. But it also earned us instant respect among everyone else on the team. I miss being that in shape. I could hit my pitching wedge like 180 easy. Boy was I humbled when I got out of college lol.
What’s your best round of golf?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Are you on my SW flight to DAL? We can take a selfie together and I’ll brag about meeting the famous Swede for your wife to see
Gah hate I missed the opportunity. I’m a Delta guy. Headed to St. Louis today

Latest posts