USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Surely those are factors included in the decision-making, but my argument is that those very same advantages could be accomplished in other MLS stadium locations not terribly far from Hamilton, ON that are not also potential frozen tundra. o_O
Distance from Hamilton to Minneapolis is roughly the same to Nashville; an average 20°F difference

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
That friendly the other night… should it have been better used to see more of what younger, unproven players can show rather than fielding a fairly experienced starting XI?

The opposite logic says that the MLS guys you will need to rely on need minutes now that it’s their offseason. However, they still have more than a month off until the next WCQ, so do these minutes in mid-December mean all that much? It’s an interesting topic to deliberate.

Reactions: LionJim

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Dike got hurt this weekend and will miss out for a few weeks. Also wonder if it’s too late to give Sarge a call after his big performance, as we really need an in-form striker.

Key to this year for me is for one of our number 9’s to separate…Dike, Sarge, Pepi, someone else…that’s our biggest question mark I feel like at this point.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
I'm very nervous about this final stretch. We need our best out there for every game. Panama and Canada's play have made a Top 3 spot less tangible. Missing out on a 2nd WC would crush the positive momentum the USMNT has built.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I'm very nervous about this final stretch. We need our best out there for every game. Panama and Canada's play have made a Top 3 spot less tangible. Missing out on a 2nd WC would crush the positive momentum the USMNT has built.
With the draw against Oceania, Concacaf is extremely likely to get 4…my level of concern is extremely low.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
With the draw against Oceania, Concacaf is extremely likely to get 4…my level of concern is extremely low.

I just don't want this team to blow their chance to advance USA Soccer. IMO, this team has the talent to do something in Qatar.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021

I do fully not agree with that take, but it's not surprising since I do not always agree with Tannenwald. In reality, Berhalter could have actually included more alternates if he chose to. I won't get into the Brooks or Sargent snubs (reasonable arguments can be made there), but I really think only having one true left back for a three-game window is not good. I also think Joe Scally can provide cover in playing both RB and LB, but he was not called in for some reason. Pefok has been playing weekly while the MLS forwards haven't been and he's shown an ability, despite his slow pace, to put the ball into the back of the net in big moments for both club and country.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I don't like this, because it was *not* used in the earlier rounds, creating an inconsistency (as there were cases where VAR would have stepped in, in earlier games). But that's CONCACAF.

I’d rather them get it right moving forward, but I do totally agree, that’s CONCACAF for ya. It’s incredible to me that a major organization like this was not using VAR earlier in this tournament.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I’d rather them get it right moving forward, but I do totally agree, that’s CONCACAF for ya. It’s incredible to me that a major organization like this was not using VAR earlier in this tournament.
+1000. VAR is a pain, but, by and large, gets the calls right. It’s a great tool.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

I think Tannewald is a pretty good journalist overall. I haven’t followed him as closely in recent years as I did in my 20s, but for the most part, he’s among the better American soccer journalists.

I wish that match vs Canada didn’t start right when the NFL playoffs start Sunday. We’ll have to get the laptop out to stream something I guess cause I’m not missing either.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Got my tickets for the final qualifier yesterday in Orlando....hopefully it won't mean much. Have to get 3 tonight for sure.

Reactions: Tgar

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
USA gave the ball away, and El Salvador nearly took advantage of the mistake.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
From the 1st half. Weah had a great opportunity, but the ES defender deflected it out of bounds.

Latest posts