What bowl for PSU, info and speculation thread

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Selfishly, I'd like Citrus because it's in my backyard. From a matchup standpoint, Cotton would be a bit of a downer. I subscribe to the theory as well about wanting a fun matchup against maybe someone we've never played from a power 5 or one we have a past with that we haven't seen in a while. Orange vs Clemson would be ok by me. The way the dominos are falling, don't count out Ohio State quite yet as team #4 and if that happens, hello Pasadena against either Oregon or Utah.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
It’s in Jan 2 at 1:00. Not a marquee date or time slot.

To clarify, to not conflict with the NFL schedule on Jan. 1, all of the NY6 bowls have had their schedule adjusted, and none are being played on Jan. 1.

Rose Bowl - Jan. 2
Sugar Bowl - Dec. 31
Orange Bowl - Dec. 30
Cotton Bowl - Jan. 2
Peach Bowl - Dec. 31 (and this is a CFP semi)
Fiesta Bowl - Dec. 31 (and this is a CFP semi)

On Jan. 2, there is the:

Reliaquest Bowl (Tampa, FL) - 12:00 pm EST
Cotton Bowl (Arlington, TX) - 1:00 pm EST
Citrus Bowl (Orlando, FL) - 1:00 pm EST
Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA) - 5:00 pm EST

On Dec. 31, there is the:

Music City Bowl (Nashville, TN) - 12:00 pm EST
Sugar Bowl (New Orleans, LA) - 12:00 pm EST
Peach Bowl (Atlanta, GA) - 4 or 8 pm EST
Fiesta Bowl (Glendale, AZ) - 4 or 8 pm EST

On Dec. 30, there is the:

Mayo Bowl (Charlotte, NC) - 12:00 pm EST
Sun Bowl (El Paso, TX) - 2:00 pm EST
Gator Bowl (Jacksonville, FL) - 3:30 pm EST
Arizona Bowl (Tucson, AZ) - 4:30 pm EST
Orange Bowl (Miami, FL) - 7:30/8:00 pm EST

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
To clarify, to not conflict with the NFL schedule on Jan. 1, all of the NY6 bowls have had their schedule adjusted, and none are being played on Jan. 1.

Rose Bowl - Jan. 2
Sugar Bowl - Dec. 31
Orange Bowl - Dec. 30
Cotton Bowl - Jan. 2
Peach Bowl - Dec. 31 (and this is a CFP semi)
Fiesta Bowl - Dec. 31 (and this is a CFP semi)

On Jan. 2, there is the:

Reliaquest Bowl (Tampa, FL) - 12:00 pm EST
Cotton Bowl (Arlington, TX) - 1:00 pm EST
Citrus Bowl (Orlando, FL) - 1:00 pm EST
Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA) - 5:00 pm EST

On Dec. 31, there is the:

Music City Bowl (Nashville, TN) - 12:00 pm EST
Sugar Bowl (New Orleans, LA) - 12:00 pm EST
Peach Bowl (Atlanta, GA) - 4 or 8 pm EST
Fiesta Bowl (Glendale, AZ) - 4 or 8 pm EST

On Dec. 30, there is the:

Mayo Bowl (Charlotte, NC) - 12:00 pm EST
Sun Bowl (El Paso, TX) - 2:00 pm EST
Gator Bowl (Jacksonville, FL) - 3:30 pm EST
Arizona Bowl (Tucson, AZ) - 4:30 pm EST
Orange Bowl (Miami, FL) - 7:30/8:00 pm EST
Gotcha. Thanks. This is new, but regardless, the Cotton is no longer treated as a premier bowl like the other NY6 bowls. It feels a little stale at this point.

Reactions: LionJim and BW Lion

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
#8. We will also pass Clemson most likely
Debatable.

We should definitely be ahead of Oregon and LSU, who both have 3 losses. But once it comes down to 2-loss teams, it becomes a stickier situation. Clemson could remain ahead of us.

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
Which means OSU is gonna be 5…….and in if usc or tcu lose
USC beating Notre Dame punches their ticket to the #4 slot, IMO. They beat back-to-back ranked teams to finish their season…? It’s between them and tOSU, and I feel like USC has the advantage because they finished strong.

Classof09

Oct 12, 2021
Debatable.

We should definitely be ahead of Oregon and LSU, who both have 3 losses. But once it comes down to 2-loss teams, it becomes a stickier situation. Clemson could remain ahead of us.
Could. We also have losses to #2 and a team that is probably 5 tomorrow.

Clemson lost to unranked South Carolina and a Notre Lame team that is going to be 20th or lower.

I think our resume is ‘better’. Also, when your losses happen make a difference. Clemson lost today. We lost over a month ago.

Reactions: LB99 and PSUJam

L.A.Lion

Oct 28, 2021
USC beating Notre Dame punches their ticket to the #4 slot, IMO. They beat back-to-back ranked teams to finish their season…? It’s between them and tOSU, and I feel like USC has the advantage because they finished strong.
They still have to play Oregon or Utah in the Pac-12 championship game. I thought for sure that second half smackdown knocked tOSU out of playoff contention, but so many top 10 teams lost today I'm not sure. John Urschel is on the CFP selection committee this year, so I'm hoping he has an algorithm ready that puts tOSU in the playoffs and PSU in the Rose should USC lose to Oregon or Utah next week.

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
Gotcha. Thanks. This is new, but regardless, the Cotton is no longer treated as a premier bowl like the other NY6 bowls. It feels a little stale at this point.
Not new at all. Bowl games always avoid Jan 1 when it’s a Sunday.

Mufasa94

Oct 12, 2021
So it’s gonna be:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC
5. tOSU
6. Alabama
7. Tennessee
8. Penn State???
Would be nice if WSU can take down UW late tonight. Don’t trust what the committee might do with the higher rated grouping of also-rans. Memories of 2019.

Reactions: Calabrin

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
Sigh.

Look, not to sound cynical, because when you look at a #8 standing to finish the season, that looks pretty good, particularly when you were unranked in the pre-season.

…but…

I can’t even begin to fathom anyone being at peace with the way we lost our two games. It’s difficult for me to see us as anything other than a 2nd-tier program because we cannot achieve any level of consistent competitiveness against the teams that are CLEARLY in the top tier.

I dunno. I have high standards. I expect us to be in the conversation with Ohio State and Michigan and we’re not. They beat us every ******* year, and it’s not acceptable to me. Ohio State and Michigan do not charge the field when they beat us. We do when we beat them. That tells you everything you need to know.

I’m excited for the future of this team in terms of its on-field talent, but the offensive coaching I saw today against a very bad Michigan State team is cause for considerable concern. I’m not convinced our coaches are capable of going into a game against a tough team and pounding them into the dirt with their gameplan the way Michigan did to us in October. We play scared. We play to not lose. Our opponents play aggressively. They play to win.

When we’re good, we maybe eek out wins over tough opponents. When they’re good, they crush us. The difference in play calling and player development. Something on the offensive side of the ball has to change REAL QUICK.

That’s my 2-late-TDs-to-make-it-look-better-than-it-was cents.

Reactions: Nits74

Latest posts