What bowl for PSU, info and speculation thread

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
The committee has never taken a 2 loss team.
I agree, but TCU’s resume is very weak. The B12 is down this year with OK and TX struggling. Their signature win is K-State (9-3). Regardless, both TCU and USC will be tested next week. One can hope!

Reactions: Bison13

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
The realist should see that PSU went from preseason unranked and projected 7-9 wins to finishing top 10 with 10 wins. The 2 losses were to top 5 ranked teams. They aren’t quite there yet, but there was massive improvement over the results from the last two seasons and there are some really good freshman on this team. If your standards are that high, you should root for UGA or Bama because you’ll be disappointed with every other team in America most years. Life’s too short. Enjoy the victories or you’ll never be happy.
Pre-season rankings mean absolutely nothing.

Losing to your only two tough opponents… every year? Significant.

It’s the same as people who defend these new Star Wars movies, even though they’re appallingly bad: either you have standards, or you’re fine with mediocrity. Many people are fine with mediocrity.

I’m not. I expect excellence.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
So if TCU and USC both lose next week which is unlikely, then OSU will probably make the CFP, and PSU will probably be selected to go to the Rose Bowl. Do I have this right? So what are the chances of this happening? Oh except now I see that Alabama might sneak in instead of OSU according to Herbie - SEC, makes sense.

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
Here’s my take if all of the favorites win their Championships:
CFP: GA, MI, TCU, USC
Rose: WA/OSU (B1G vs PAC)
Sugar: TN/KSU (B12 vs SEC)
Orange: PSU/Clem (ACC/ND vs B1G or SEC)
Cotton: Tulane/AL (At large vs At large)

They could also flip TN and AL.

I believe that both TCU and/or USC could lose their game. If that happens, I can see OSU up to the CFP and PSU to the Rose against Utah (if Utah beats USC) or WA (if TCU loses and USC wins).

Reactions: Midnighter

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

It’s the same as people who defend these new Star Wars movies, even though they’re appallingly bad: either you have standards, or you’re fine with mediocrity. Many people are fine with mediocrity.

You must frequently be disappointed in life. I won’t even get into what I think about Star Wars. 🙄

Madsol

Oct 6, 2021

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

While you're waiting for Penn State to play up to your standards, you missed out on a young team that developed nicely and played a pretty exciting brand of football. Too bad for you.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
Could. We also have losses to #2 and a team that is probably 5 tomorrow.

Clemson lost to unranked South Carolina and a Notre Lame team that is going to be 20th or lower.

I think our resume is ‘better’. Also, when your losses happen make a difference. Clemson lost today. We lost over a month ago.

won’t matter, those voting only apply reason like this when it supports their bias. They all had Clemson ranked ahead of Penn State in the preseason and are hell bent on keeping it that way.

even if PSU jumps Clemson, Clemson returns the favor if they win the ACC CC game.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Given the results from yesterday, I think this is the most likely outcome if they best NC in the ACC championship game. If they don’t, it’s further chaos.

won’t matter, those voting only apply reason like this when it supports their bias. They all had Clemson ranked ahead of Penn State in the preseason and are hell bent on keeping it that way.

even if PSU jumps Clemson, Clemson returns the favor if they win the ACC CC game.
What Clemson does has no effect on PSU's fate. If it wins the ACC championship, it's in the Orange Bowl. If it loses, it falls far enough that it's not a factor in the NY6.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
You don’t like the Rose Bowl? It’s nice over there.

I went last time we faced USC and I have to say, the USC fans were very classy. Had a great time.
The view is nice. Of course that game had the crappiest weather all that week.

Oct 12, 2021
SI’s Wogenrich lays out Penn State bowl scenarios; says Cotton most likely but Rose could opt for PSU over OSU if it wanted.

It would be nice for the team and fans who would like to attend, but PSU didn't earn a trip to the Rose Bowl. They wouldn't have to make a compelling argument if they had beaten tOSU at HOME.

Reactions: PSUJam

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
It would be nice for the team and fans who would like to attend, but PSU didn't earn a trip to the Rose Bowl. They wouldn't have to make a compelling argument if they had beaten tOSU at HOME.

Agreed, but decent case is made - bowls get tired of having the same teams year after year. Getting this dialogue out there is good IMO. Other than the experience and match up, all non NY6 bowls are mostly for funzies.

Oct 12, 2021
Agreed, but decent case is made - bowls get tired of having the same teams year after year. Getting this dialogue out there is good IMO. Other than the experience and match up, all non NY6 bowls are mostly for funzies.
True. PSU fans travel well, and there are also a ton of them in California who would attend. If PSU is chosen, I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge contingent of PSU fans at the Rose Bowl. It's all about the Benjamins, and the Rose Bowl Committee knows that PSU fans will spend when they attend.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
True. PSU fans travel well, and there are also a ton of them in California who would attend. If PSU is chosen, I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge contingent of PSU fans at the Rose Bowl. It's all about the Benjamins, and the Rose Bowl Committee knows that PSU fans will spend when they attend.

Penn State fans are ‘excited’ too - lots of young talent and I think we’re all looking forward to next year. Rose Bowl would be the perfect stage/springboard. Always nice to get in front of California recruits too.

OuiRPSU

Oct 6, 2021
Debatable.

We should definitely be ahead of Oregon and LSU, who both have 3 losses. But once it comes down to 2-loss teams, it becomes a stickier situation. Clemson could remain ahead of us.
They could but shouldn’t, considering they lost to an unranked team at home. But we know how these things work.

Reactions: Nits74

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Sigh.

Look, not to sound cynical, because when you look at a #8 standing to finish the season, that looks pretty good, particularly when you were unranked in the pre-season.

…but…

I can’t even begin to fathom anyone being at peace with the way we lost our two games. It’s difficult for me to see us as anything other than a 2nd-tier program because we cannot achieve any level of consistent competitiveness against the teams that are CLEARLY in the top tier.

I dunno. I have high standards. I expect us to be in the conversation with Ohio State and Michigan and we’re not. They beat us every ******* year, and it’s not acceptable to me. Ohio State and Michigan do not charge the field when they beat us. We do when we beat them. That tells you everything you need to know.

I’m excited for the future of this team in terms of its on-field talent, but the offensive coaching I saw today against a very bad Michigan State team is cause for considerable concern. I’m not convinced our coaches are capable of going into a game against a tough team and pounding them into the dirt with their gameplan the way Michigan did to us in October. We play scared. We play to not lose. Our opponents play aggressively. They play to win.

When we’re good, we maybe eek out wins over tough opponents. When they’re good, they crush us. The difference in play calling and player development. Something on the offensive side of the ball has to change REAL QUICK.

That’s my 2-late-TDs-to-make-it-look-better-than-it-was cents.

I couldn’t even get through this whole post. What a whiny attitude.

Reactions: LB99 and marshall23

lemonears

Oct 31, 2021

I'd like us to play in a bowl game that has a purpose. Playing and pounding Clemson would have a purpose. It would make the statement that the Atlantic Cupcake Conference stinks and is second fiddle to the Big 10.

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021

Ah, so you’re a parody account. Good stuff.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
The perfect is the enemy of the good.

While you're waiting for Penn State to play up to your standards, you missed out on a young team that developed nicely and played a pretty exciting brand of football. Too bad for you.
How did we miss out? I watched every minute.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
An interesting proposition. If PSU goes to the Rose, then there's a case for OSU to the Orange (now we're talking serious money). Is Warren enough of a BSD to get it done, or just an empty pair of drawers?

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
True. I just don’t think it has the same appeal it once did. It’s not on NY either which is a head scratcher. It’s on Jan 2 at 1:00. Not a marquee date or time slot. Plus, with the G5 affiliation the opponent will most likely be Tulane. That’s a no win situation for PSU. Regardless, I will be watching and cheering.
They won’t play on Jan 1 due to the NFL (it’s a Sunday).

Plus, one of PSU’s greatest victories happened on Jan 2. In 1987 against Miami in the Fiesta Bowl - which also happened to be may 22nd Birthday.
Sweet GIF

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
From my perspective, I think at this point you want to game that you have a good chance of winning as well as being able to recruit. The order that I’d prefer would be to play Clemson in the orange bowl since we recruit similar kids and have lost quite a few to them. I think with their quarterback having issues this year, he’d have trouble with Mannys defense. I also think they would have a few of their better draft prospects on defense sit out.
My second choice would be the cotton against a group of five winner. I think that would be a two score win which would lead to quite a bit of momentum towards next year and we have had some Texas and Louisiana area kids recently so recruiting that area is also a plus.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
You don’t think OSU fans travel well and they don’t spend well? Plus the Rose Bowl is all about Big Ten tradition and nothing says Big Ten tradition like having OSU in the game. No way does PSU go to the Rose Bowl unless OSU backs into the playoffs.

Oct 12, 2021
OSU fans also travel and spend well. Plus the Rose Bowl is all about Big Ten tradition and nothing says Big Ten tradition like having OSU in the game. No way does PSU go to the Rose Bowl unless OSU backs into the playoffs.

I don't think OSU fans travel well. (?) Did I write that? You could have made your argument without a logical fallacy. It would have been better without it. FIFY.

Last edited:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
You don’t think OSU fans travel well and they don’t spend well? Plus the Rose Bowl is all about Big Ten tradition and nothing says Big Ten tradition like having OSU in the game. No way does PSU go to the Rose Bowl unless OSU backs into the playoffs.

Pizza delivery drivers typically don’t spend well.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Regardless of who gets the Rose Bowl bid, the place will be sold out and fans will spend money. That's what the bowl organizers want. The television ratings will still be good since it's the only game in the time slot. That's what ESPN wants. I agree that tradition will otherwise win out. The only fly in the ointment would be if it was setting up to be another Utah vs. OSU game. I doubt anyone would want the same match up as last year. But it won't be Utah so we'll see what happens.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
OSU fans travel well, but I think bowl travel depends a bit on the "trajectory" of the team as well. I think OSU fans that were expecting a playoff berth are less likely to travel to the Rose Bowl. A team like PSU, on a win streak with fans excited for next year, are more likely to travel well.

I could be wrong but the level of "excitement" around a team influences bowl travel. A team that hasn't been to a major bowl in awhile, or a team that has exceeded expectations (PSU) for the year are going to out-travel teams that haven't met expectations (OSU).and are getting less than what they'd hoped for.

I probably wouldn't have done the Alamo Bowl regardless, but how many PSUers were excited about going to the Alamo Bowl after expecting to contend for the MNC that year?

Reactions: HJBPSU96

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
SI’s Wogenrich lays out Penn State bowl scenarios; says Cotton most likely but Rose could opt for PSU over OSU if it wanted.

“In the meantime, Penn State coach James Franklin will look for the Big Ten to continue "pounding the table" on his team's behalf for the best bowl game possible.”

yeah, like that will happen.

WanderingSpectator

Oct 12, 2021
Regardless of who gets the Rose Bowl bid, the place will be sold out and fans will spend money. That's what the bowl organizers want. The television ratings will still be good since it's the only game in the time slot. That's what ESPN wants. I agree that tradition will otherwise win out. The only fly in the ointment would be if it was setting up to be another Utah vs. OSU game. I doubt anyone would want the same match up as last year. But it won't be Utah so we'll see what happens.
If Utah beats USC in the PAC Championship, it will be Utah to the Rose.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
Sigh.

Look, not to sound cynical, because when you look at a #8 standing to finish the season, that looks pretty good, particularly when you were unranked in the pre-season.

…but…

I can’t even begin to fathom anyone being at peace with the way we lost our two games. It’s difficult for me to see us as anything other than a 2nd-tier program because we cannot achieve any level of consistent competitiveness against the teams that are CLEARLY in the top tier.

I dunno. I have high standards. I expect us to be in the conversation with Ohio State and Michigan and we’re not. They beat us every ******* year, and it’s not acceptable to me. Ohio State and Michigan do not charge the field when they beat us. We do when we beat them. That tells you everything you need to know.

I’m excited for the future of this team in terms of its on-field talent, but the offensive coaching I saw today against a very bad Michigan State team is cause for considerable concern. I’m not convinced our coaches are capable of going into a game against a tough team and pounding them into the dirt with their gameplan the way Michigan did to us in October. We play scared. We play to not lose. Our opponents play aggressively. They play to win.

When we’re good, we maybe eek out wins over tough opponents. When they’re good, they crush us. The difference in play calling and player development. Something on the offensive side of the ball has to change REAL QUICK.

That’s my 2-late-TDs-to-make-it-look-better-than-it-was cents.
Penn State has won three of the last six games against Michigan, but don't let that fact ruin your they beat us every ******* year rant.

Latest posts