What happens when Powell isn't in the lineup tonight?

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
You know he isn't going to DH because he would be the backup catcher. Lemonis doesn't like to DH anyone that might be needed, defensively, later in the game.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I would figure out a way to get a guy that hot in the lineup. 4 homers in 2 games.

But, I know nothing about any preference Khal may have in terms of catchers, and what he needs in this game is most important.

So I'll trust the coach who won our only national championship to make the decision.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You do realize the Lemonis replaced Larry with a freshman don’t you?
Not really. Larry was set to begin the season as the DH. Played 2b when Mershon was injured, and again Was forced into playing 2b when Mershon became the SS and Kupp went out.... then plan was never for Larry to be the full time second baseman.

Larry is one of 3 players to start every game, despite is below average performance at the plate. Hes a lemonis favorite... him being entrenched in that DH role... has limited younger kids the opportunity to grow and develop and get some at-bats there.

This is the same thing Lemonis did with Hancock playing 1b. Hines should have been the starting 1b right when he walked on campus, BUT at the absolute worst, he should have been getting starts and innings there. Instead we moved a catcher and lemonis favorite there and refused to move him EVER... and hines never got the opportunity to develop and improve.

Last edited:

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
This should have been a poll question....Does anyone actually believe Joe WILL be in the lineup tonight?? I wish I were very wrong in saying he will not be.

Reactions: HuntDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How much did you trust him the last 2 seasons?
Lemonis' game management and personnel management has been top notch, always has. Recruiting is what hasn't been that great, and obviously we had some disconnect with pitching last year, but I think recruiting is a part of that too.

While this Powell vs. Long thing is puzzling, it's far from some big needle mover on this team.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Lemonis' game management and personnel management has been top notch, always has. Recruiting is what hasn't been that great, and obviously we had some disconnect with pitching last year, but I think recruiting is a part of that too.

While this Powell vs. Long thing is puzzling, it's far from some big needle mover on this team.
funniest thing ive seen on these boards in a while.

Game and personnel management has been top notch? always has?

Him moving sims from the best closer in the country to a friday night starter was great personnel management. But I wont get into the other mistakes made.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Him moving sims from the best closer in the country to a friday night starter was great personnel management. But I wont get into the other mistakes made.
There was nothing wrong with that move. The problem was that he got hurt, and that move didn't cause the injury. How do you not understand this?

Reactions: WrightGuy821

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
There was nothing wrong with that move. The problem was that he got hurt, and that move didn't cause the injury. How do you not understand this?
sure moving someone that is a max effort guy for 2 innings.. into a role where he's now expected to throw 100+ pitches.... didnt have nothign to do with injury

OR more importantly.. taking your best piece and most dominate player on a national championship team, and changing his role into something else..... again as you said "top notch" decision made there.

But again you wont understand..... its not 1998 anymore... much has changed.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
sure moving someone that is a max effort guy for 2 innings.. into a role where he's now expected to throw 100+ pitches.... didnt have nothign to do with injury

OR more importantly.. taking your best piece and most dominate player on a national championship team, and changing his role into something else..... again as you said "top notch" decision made there.

But again you wont understand..... its not 1998 anymore... much has changed.
Talk about living in the 90s. Starting pitchers are much more valuable that relievers, in pretty much everyone's eyes except yours.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Not really. Larry was set to begin the season as the DH. Played 2b when Mershon was injured, and again Was forced into playing 2b when Mershon became the SS and Kupp went out.... then plan was never for Larry to be the full time second baseman.

Larry is one of 3 players to start every game, despite is below average performance at the plate. Hes a lemonis favorite... him being entrenched in that DH role... has limited younger kids the opportunity to grow and develop and get some at-bats there.

This is the same thing Lemonis did with Hancock playing 1b. Hines should have been the starting 1b right when he walked on campus, BUT at the absolute worst, he should have been getting starts and innings there. Instead we moved a catcher and lemonis favorite there and refused to move him EVER... and hines never got the opportunity to develop and improve.
And people still talk about us hosting....

We should all three. Should win

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Talk about living in the 90s. Starting pitchers are much more valuable that relievers, in pretty much everyone's eyes except yours.
yeah.. thats why big leaguers are going 5 innings now instead of 8... and why teams use multiple guys now and have bullpen games when they never have in the past.....

However I do agree, a great starter is hard to find. However Sims had NEVER been a starter. And was hands down the most diminate reliver in all of college baseball.

God you are the biggest moron on these boards.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
yeah.. thats why big leaguers are going 5 innings now instead of 8... and why teams use multiple guys now and have bullpen games when they never have in the past.....

However I do agree, a great starter is hard to find. However Sims had NEVER been a starter. And was hands down the most diminate reliver in all of college baseball.

God you are the biggest moron on these boards.
It's not a stretch to expect Sims to go 5-6 innings once a week. It wasn't always a sure thing that we'd get 2 stints out of him every weekend as a closer.

His best role for the 2022 team was a starter, plus it made/would have made him more valuable for the draft.

You're arguing with yourself with some of this stupid shlt you're babbling about.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It's not a stretch to expect Sims to go 5-6 innings once a week. It wasn't always a sure thing that we'd get 2 stints out of him every weekend as a closer.

His best role for the 2022 team was a starter, plus it made/would have made him more valuable for the draft.

You're arguing with yourself with some of this stupid shlt you're babbling about.
we had 3 starters that were fine that season. We didnt have a bullpen.

Lemonis made that decision for sims to allow him to improve his draft stock. He made a decision that wasnt best for the team and it bit us big time.

I'll let you continue to believe hes a top notch game manager and personell manager though. Again youve said plenty about how you dont follow things closely. Your stuck in the 1990s. Its clear. Go read up on batting average some more

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

"Game management top notch" , are you serious? Yeah, on 2nd thought I'm sure YOU are. His management of pitching staff after the starter is laughable, head scratching, and has been for the 3rd season in a row. Our base running is taunted by little leaguers. How many teams have a DH batting .233 and a catcher .224 that hasn't thrown out 1 SINGLE RUNNER this whole season and was allowed to bat with the bases loaded this weekend? How is that top notch game management?

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
"Game management top notch" , are you serious? Yeah, on 2nd thought I'm sure YOU are. His management of pitching staff after the starter is laughable, head scratching, and had been for the 3rd season in a row. Our base running is taunted by little leaguers. How many teams have a DH batting .233 and a catcher .224 that hasn't thrown out 1 SINGLE RUNNER this whole season and was allowed to bat with the bases loaded this weekend? How is that top notch game management?
the letting a 224 hitter hit with the game on the line you cant defend. Awful decision. Righty on Righty as well.

But agreed. Top notch game manager... i was waiting for the punchline of that joke...... He's far from top notch.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
"Game management top notch" , are you serious? Yeah, on 2nd thought I'm sure YOU are. His management of pitching staff after the starter is laughable, head scratching, and had been for the 3rd season in a row. Our base running is taunted by little leaguers. How many teams have a DH batting .233 and a catcher .224 that hasn't thrown out 1 SINGLE RUNNER this whole season and was allowed to bat with the bases loaded this weekend? How is that top notch game management?
There are a lot of things that need improvement. Talent is alright, but we need to be more mentally tough. We need better strength and conditioning. But overall, who he plays and the decisions he makes is generally not one of the major problems. Our baserunning blunders are due to our soft approach.

• Haha
Reactions: Anon1697564126

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
There are a lot of things that need improvement. Talent is alright, but we need to be more mentally tough. We need better strength and conditioning. But overall, who he plays and the decisions he makes is generally not one of the major problems. Our baserunning blunders are due to our soft approach.
So now its a lot needs to be improved... but not our top notch game management. Who he plays isnt an issue. So playing forsythe half the season kicking ground balls wasnt a problem? Giving Hatcher, Larry, and Long unlimited at-bats when they cant hit isnt a problem?

I'd love to know how Base running is bad because of a soft approach?

And i'd be curious to know whats wrong with our strength and condition program

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He is responsible for having that team prepared for every game. Call it a soft approach I don't care, it's poor game management by him and staff when the runners aren't prepared. "generally not one of the major problems" and "top notch game management" don't go together either

Reactions: patdog and HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He is responsible for having that team prepared for every game. Call it a soft approach I don't care, it's poor game management by him and staff when the runners aren't prepared. "generally not one of the major problems" and "top notch game management" don't go together either
preach