What happens when Powell isn't in the lineup tonight?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I’d ageee with that also.
Pretty much what it boils down to is we aren’t as relevant in baseball as some on here like to think.
Now if im talking to anyone outside the MSU fan base about baseball then I try and make em believe we are Alabama football, KY basketball and LSU baseball all wrapped into one.
LSU baseball is the UK basketball level college baseball program. We ain't even close to what their program is.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Auburn football is a good one too. Rabid fanbase who puts everything into that program but still does stupid self-inflicted shlt from time to time.
Does that make Lemonis the baseball equivalent of Gene Chizik? We saw how running a program worked under Chizik. Again, with our fan support, stadium, and history, we deserve better than “above average”.

Reactions: patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
What standard is that? We have always had down years in baseball. We had never won a natty before, and you want to run the guy off who did it. That's just plain stupid.
Now if this year had been like the last two....that's a bit different. I hasn't been like the last two, not at all.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Does that make Lemonis the baseball equivalent of Gene Chizik? We saw how running a program worked under Chizik. Again, with our fan support, stadium, and history, we deserve better than “above average”.
Chizik never turned it around. Lemonis has. Lemonis never had a once in a generation national level player either.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Certainly some similarities.

But like to think it was more Malzahn than Cheesedick. Because while he got fired after 2 bad years, look how good that team after that was.

I am not stumping for Lemonis here, I am indifferent toward the guy. He didn’t show much respect to me the one time I’ve met him. But I’m also fair.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Another inning. We are one swing away with the base Runner from being behind in this game

Stephen has really been pitching well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That’s what big time programs do. We clearly don’t want to be a big time program.
Yet our history is similar to Auburn football. Weird.

I think it’s harder than you think to lure that elusive big time coach. Have we ever done it? Cohen was not big time and even then we got lucky because he was an alumnus. His time at Kentucky wasn’t too different than Lemonis at Indiana. Ron Polk was a different era.

By the way, you also wanted him (Cohen) fired. The tapes are there. If we fire Lemonis, we’re going to end up with a Parker type assistant, or a Lane Burroughs type head guy.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Yet our history is similar to Auburn football. Weird.

I think it’s harder than you think to lure that elusive big time coach. Have we ever done it? Cohen was not big time and even then we got lucky because he was an alumnus. His time at Kentucky wasn’t too different than Lemonis at Indiana. Ron Polk was a different era.

By the way, you also wanted him (Cohen) fired. The tapes are there. If we fire Lemonis, we’re going to end up with a Parker type assistant, or a Lane Burroughs type head guy.
Cohen absolutely was a big time hire. He had won the SEC regular season championship at Kentucky, which would be like Vandy winning the SEC in football. In his five seasons, he doubled UK’s tourney appearances.

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Lemonis' game management and personnel management has been top notch, always has. Recruiting is what hasn't been that great, and obviously we had some disconnect with pitching last year, but I think recruiting is a part of that too.

While this Powell vs. Long thing is puzzling, it's far from some big needle mover on this team.
This aged well. Those top notch game and personnel management skills were on display Sunday…. was it who he brought in from the pen to notch? The late inning defensiv strategy? Taking out Pullman and cupp?

damn to be able to move the chess pieces around…. Top notch stuff… LOL

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This aged well. Those top notch game and personnel management skills were on display Sunday…. was it who he brought in from the pen to notch? The late inning defensiv strategy? Taking out Pullman and cupp?

damn to be able to move the chess pieces around…. Top notch stuff… LOL

The runs we didn't score got us beat. Should have won three games giving up 9 runs all weekend and no more than 4 in any game.

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Sure. But we also mis managed the Sunday game. That really can’t be argued.

It's a weakness of yours that you think your opinions are often facts that can't be argued. Any move a coach makes can be argued as good or bad after the results of that move are revealed.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It's a weakness of yours that you think your opinions are often facts that can't be argued. Any move a coach makes can be argued as good or bad after the results of that move are revealed.
Ok, if you want to argue it go ahead. Guess the sentence should have read anyone that really understands baseball couldn’t argue the game wasnot mismanaged

These werent moved questioned after the fact. These were moves made that were questioned at the time of the move, even on this board.

both in game and after the final results were revealed.. Sundays game showed that our leader in the dugout isn’t top notch in terms of game management. Keep in mind Sunday wasn’t and hasn’t been a one game thing either.

appreciate you pointing out my weakness though.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Ok, if you want to argue it go ahead. These werent moved questioned after the fact. These were moves made that were questioned at the time of the move, even on this board.

both in game and after the final results were revealed.. Sundays game showed that our leader in the dugout isn’t top notch in terms of game management. Keep in mind Sunday wasn’t and hasn’t been a one game thing either.
Every move Lemonis makes is questioned on this board by those who are more focused on him being gone than they are pulling for their team.

So you can point to pretty much any move he makes being questioned here. And some of them won't go well, as with every coach on earth.

It's self fulfilling that in a close loss, something the coach did can be called the reason for the loss if basically every move is questioned.

He did his job this year. Got us back to being Mississippi State on the baseball field.

I'm going to move forward into postseason fandom . You're welcome to troll through threads looking for debates.

He'll be here next season, so you might want to pace yourself. You have a lot of opportunities ahead.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Every move Lemonis makes is questioned on this board by those who are more focused on him being gone than they are pulling for their team.

So you can point to pretty much any move he makes being questioned here. And some of them won't go well, as with every coach on earth.

It's self fulfilling that in a close loss, something the coach did can be called the reason for the loss if basically every move is questioned.

He did his job this year. Got us back to being Mississippi State on the baseball field.

I'm going to move forward into postseason fandom . You're welcome to troll through threads looking for debates.

He'll be here next season, so you might want to pace yourself. You have a lot of opportunities ahead.
I have no issues with him being here next season and you won’t find a post made from me otherwise.

therr are many dumb takes on this board in both directions…. Calling lemonis a top notch game manager is equally as dumb as saying he should be fired.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I have no issues with him being here next season and you won’t find a post made from me otherwise.

therr are many dumb takes on this board in both directions…. Calling lemonis a top notch game manager is equally as dumb as saying he should be fired.

I don't know if he is or not. Not qualified to opine on it.

But with the vitriol he receives here, I can understand a defender of Lemonis saying something extreme in his defense.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Calling lemonis a top notch game manager is equally as dumb as saying he should be fired.
He is a top notch game manager. To dispute that is stupid. He won a national title.

The problem with that is, college sports are just as much about recruiting, culture, personality management, etc. as it is about Xs and Os. It’s very much like travel sports. Most times, the guy with the most talent and toughness wins, and development may or may not be present. That combination hasn’t been so great for us since about July 2021, due to a variety of things.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He is a top notch game manager. To dispute that is stupid. He won a national title.

The problem with that is, college sports are just as much about recruiting, culture, personality management, etc. as it is about Xs and Os. It’s very much like travel sports. Most times, the guy with the most talent and toughness wins, and development may or may not be present. That combination hasn’t been so great for us since about July 2021, due to a variety of things.
You can win a national championship and not be a top notch game manager. To dispute that is stupid. But then again you say a lot of stupid things, this is no different

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He turned us around this year but also made some questionable calls. I don't think anybody can effectively argue that Coach had both occur this season. I don't believe every lousy management call can be laid at his feet alone. I think there were decisions made by other coaches that hurt us. I also think the players made boneheaded plays all by themselves, that ended up being critical for our team.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If you take away the first couple weeks of the season and some blown games (I blame Foxy and injury for our skitty pitching depth) we've been pretty solid. We couldn't play our best lineup this week due to injury. Hujsak has to be healthy for us to be any kind of threat in post season. Also need our middle relief to show up.
Imagine if the SEC hadn't screwed up that UGA series. We'd be squarely in position to host with just a game or two.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If you take away the first couple weeks of the season and some blown games (I blame Foxy and injury for our skitty pitching depth) we've been pretty solid. We couldn't play our best lineup this week due to injury. Hujsak has to be healthy for us to be any kind of threat in post season. Also need our middle relief to show up.
Imagine if the SEC hadn't screwed up that UGA series. We'd be squarely in position to host with just a game or two.
Agree. We have been solid since the first few weeks. Injuries happen to everyone, our lack of depth hurt us and showed up when the injuries occured…. Maybe more so than others… hard to say.

we need to play our best 9 and get Jordan or Hines hot. If both get hot we can be dangerous, with 1 we could make noise, without either we are very average.

our sec record is about what it should be. We won at least 3 late that we could have very easily lost, and we lost 2-3 late that we could have won. End of day, it evened out.