What is going on with football recruiting?

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I could not care less what you think about me. go lurk on your neighbor

The feeling is mutual.

I'll try to remember your lack of interest when you interrupt another thread to whine about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingWard

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Interesting how you can claim to "know" what other posters do or don't pay.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I really don't think there are any reliable explanations or data for those numbers. To my knowledge, NIL money is not like SEC filings that have to be publicly reported. I think folks are just making estimations and filling in narratives based on what they have heard. And most of what they have heard is probably exaggerated.
As far as I'm concerned, ALL these numbers are fantasies until authenticated by some authoritative, unimpeachable entity.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
This post contains information regarding men's football only.

Slow start compared to last year for sure.

The Montgomery QB recruitment has become an interesting story. He has changed his plans and is moving his commitment date earlier than originally planned and now expects to commit in June. He dropped Georgia for his unofficial and says he will
visit us for the Spring game (unofficial) and take an unofficial to Florida. He will take one official to the school he commits to.

Barring any changes it looks like it's us and the reptiles.
See on another post here today that he is likely headed to UGA

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Yeah. The news ain't good for us. I guess when Zoller committed to Missouri it changed the picture dramatically.
Beamer needs to accept that getting a top rated QB recruit to come to Carolina is a tall order. He should focus on finding another Connor Shaw. Shaw was a solid 3 star with offers from Ga tech, Stanford, Wake Forest, WVU, and E. Carolina. Spurrier saw that he had the brains and the physical tools to be a good qb and Spurrier didn't have to fight off Bama, Ohio State or any other top programs to get him. Beamer needs to be looking for that guy and quit trying to chase the "star" of the class.

Rattler coming was a feel good story but his being here didn't really change the trajectory of the program in any way.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
That is probably true. That being the case, Shane better have his Dad's coaching chops to make "steak out of hamburger meat". If he does not, he won't last beyond another 2 seasons. Hopefully, Shane will show that he can do more with less. If not, then if the hiring authorities have any brains at all, they will hire someone from a low-tier FBS school who has a track record of beating mid and high-tier FBS schools. Why? Because I doubt that we will ever produce enough NIL monies to beat the big boys.

Can anyone explain to me what is meant by "Average NIL" under the team recruiting rankings? Clemson has $101k average NIL. We have $22k average NIL? We have thousands of more alumni than they do. Are they graduating a boatload of Bill Gates and Warren Buffetts every year who are funding their NIL?
Doesn't hurt to have the head of Defender Industries, Inc (BC Inabinets old company) on your BOT.

Reactions: KingWard

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
settings dont really matter too much, winning does matter. what about Miami in the 90s? stadium was located away from campus. small campus, small private school in large city.
Actually, U of M is in Boca Raton, not in Miami. Relatively small and quaint feeling.

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022
Yeah. The news ain't good for us. I guess when Zoller committed to Missouri it changed the picture dramatically.
My friend, although I love Carolina Sports, Pumping Sunshine is ********, not HOPE. not OPTIMISM just pure "smells like crap" ********. By the way that's a word the FPOTUS uses .... ********!!! Cut off the head of the incompetent snake and we can move forward. NOT ******** our way to improvement!!!

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The 2025 class feels like it's going to be a down year. Unless we surprise and have a good year on the field, just don't see many top-end recruits out there for us in this class.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Beamer needs to accept that getting a top rated QB recruit to come to Carolina is a tall order. He should focus on finding another Connor Shaw. Shaw was a solid 3 star with offers from Ga tech, Stanford, Wake Forest, WVU, and E. Carolina. Spurrier saw that he had the brains and the physical tools to be a good qb and Spurrier didn't have to fight off Bama, Ohio State or any other top programs to get him. Beamer needs to be looking for that guy and quit trying to chase the "star" of the class.

Rattler coming was a feel good story but his being here didn't really change the trajectory of the program in any way.
Good observation.
Smart QB with athleticism, but not flashy, who is recruited by ''academic'' schools but cares more about football.

Cockypantherfan

Joined Nov 15, 2020 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Stop dreaming.
Haha. Check out these absolute bums who will most likely be committed within a few weeks.

Reactions: Jaykid28

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Haha. Check out these absolute bums who will most likely be committed within a few weeks.

That's 3 players. I said "many".

Cockypantherfan

Jan 17, 2022
That's 3 players. I said "many".
Throw in Jontae Gilbert (another 4* DB) and that probably rounds out our DB class with 3 4* players and one 3*.

We lead for 4* OL Shed Sarratt and Jaylen Gilchrist

Taking a swing at 4* OL Juan Gaston who is from Georgia and a big time talent; he's been on campus a few times and is coming to the spring game

We are taking big swings at big time 4* / borderline 5* LBs Zayden Walker and Tavion Wallace. Zayden will hopefully be at our spring game and has been on campus close to 10 times.

We are taking a big swing at high 4* DE Jared Smith and he seems to be receptive to us

In decent shape with 3* DE Taeshawn Alston out of North Carolina

Just had Anthony Addison commit this week who is a higher upside DE (3-4*)

Taking a swing at 4* WR Adrian Wilson who is from Texas and plans to be in for the spring game

Battling w/ UNC for 4* WR Malik Clark who is from SC

So you see, we aren't in desperation mode as you seem to paint it out to be.

I will say it's a bit concerning with our interior DL class so we need to turn that around.

Reactions: Jaykid28

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Throw in Jontae Gilbert (another 4* DB) and that probably rounds out our DB class with 3 4* players and one 3*.

We lead for 4* OL Shed Sarratt and Jaylen Gilchrist

Taking a swing at 4* OL Juan Gaston who is from Georgia and a big time talent; he's been on campus a few times and is coming to the spring game

We are taking big swings at big time 4* / borderline 5* LBs Zayden Walker and Tavion Wallace. Zayden will hopefully be at our spring game and has been on campus close to 10 times.

We are taking a big swing at high 4* DE Jared Smith and he seems to be receptive to us

In decent shape with 3* DE Taeshawn Alston out of North Carolina

Just had Anthony Addison commit this week who is a higher upside DE (3-4*)

Taking a swing at 4* WR Adrian Wilson who is from Texas and plans to be in for the spring game

Battling w/ UNC for 4* WR Malik Clark who is from SC

So you see, we aren't in desperation mode as you seem to paint it out to be.

I will say it's a bit concerning with our interior DL class so we need to turn that around.

Not intending to get in the middle, but I hate to brag about recruiting by listing guys that haven't signed yet. Counting chickens before they hatch type of thing.

To be honest, I'm getting even more jaded. We can't rely on these guys till they sign. And even then, with the portal we can't rely on them being here next year.

It basically numbed me to relying on recruiting rankings etc.

Reactions: USCEE82

TooCocky

Joined Aug 2, 2018
Jan 31, 2022
I think a lot of people need to really look at the recruits offer list rather than the stars.

when we’re beating out the likes of Duke, UCF, Coastal, Wake, GT etc etc it said a lot.
Do some of those recruits pan out to be stars? Sure. But you’re not going to win SEC championships with a roster full of them.
We just got a commit from an on3 4 star that is literally a3 star on every other recruiting site.
Look at when some of these kids got their uga, bama, osu “offers”. Most of the times they were 9th 10th grade. Most are not “takes” for them at this point when they’re Juniors and seniors.
We’re a 500 win percentage lifetime program.
That’s the recruits we get now. Once you accept that your life will be much much better.
Jmho.

Reactions: CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Cockypantherfan

Jan 17, 2022
Not intending to get in the middle, but I hate to brag about recruiting by listing guys that haven't signed yet. Counting chickens before they hatch type of thing.

To be honest, I'm getting even more jaded. We can't rely on these guys till they sign. And even then, with the portal we can't rely on them being here next year.

It basically numbed me to relying on recruiting rankings etc.
Then going off of your line of thinking no team should be happy with recruiting for the 2025 class, correct?

Latest posts