What is going on with football recruiting?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I've heard almost nothing about recruiting for the 2025 class. By mid-April last year, we had 8 commits. which was half of our total class. That was an anomaly and we really cooled off after that, but we usually start to see some commitments roll in around April-June or so. Right now all we have is Lanoris' younger brother. But beyond that, I just haven't heard any chatter. There's usually stuff floating around about us being in the mix for this or that recruit. I'm just not hearing anything. Are we in the mix for anyone notable? There's the QB from Ohio, Montgomery. At one point, we were allegedly in the mix for Griffin, but he's a UGA lock now. Doesn't look like any 5* are in the pipeline for 2025.

Reactions: gamecock stock

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
This post contains information regarding men's football only.

Slow start compared to last year for sure.

The Montgomery QB recruitment has become an interesting story. He has changed his plans and is moving his commitment date earlier than originally planned and now expects to commit in June. He dropped Georgia for his unofficial and says he will
visit us for the Spring game (unofficial) and take an unofficial to Florida. He will take one official to the school he commits to.

Barring any changes it looks like it's us and the reptiles.

Reactions: KingWard

Cockypantherfan

Joined Nov 15, 2020 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Addison should be joining our class later this week when he makes his commitment:

We have a lot of highly rated visitors scheduled to visit for the spring game and our big OV weekends starting May 31 and running through June. Battling some top teams for really good talent like Zayden Walker, Jared Smith, Jontae Gilbert, Shamari Earls, Tavion Wallace, Ryan Montgomery, Lagonza Hayward, Cortez Smith, Kevin Wynn, Jadon Blair, Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng, Jaylen Gilchrist, Derek Meadows, David Sanders.

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
I've heard almost nothing about recruiting for the 2025 class. By mid-April last year, we had 8 commits. which was half of our total class. That was an anomaly and we really cooled off after that, but we usually start to see some commitments roll in around April-June or so. Right now all we have is Lanoris' younger brother. But beyond that, I just haven't heard any chatter. There's usually stuff floating around about us being in the mix for this or that recruit. I'm just not hearing anything. Are we in the mix for anyone notable? There's the QB from Ohio, Montgomery. At one point, we were allegedly in the mix for Griffin, but he's a UGA lock now. Doesn't look like any 5* are in the pipeline for 2025.
Don't have any inside information about Montgomery but I don't know where you are getting yours. All the recruiting services still show we are very much in the running for his services and most predict usc to land him. Unfortunately, a large number of prospects in Georgia, one of our best recruiting areas, are also being heavily recruited by the instate school. That is tough competition to overcome.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Don't have any inside information about Montgomery but I don't know where you are getting yours. All the recruiting services still show we are very much in the running for his services and most predict usc to land him. Unfortunately, a large number of prospects in Georgia, one of our best recruiting areas, are also being heavily recruited by the instate school. That is tough competition to overcome.

Yes, I meant to indicate that Montgomery is the one recruit I know of who we are still heavily in the mix for.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I think the disappointment and concern is that Shane was sold to us as being some sort of magical super duper recruiter (as opposed to having a successful Head Coaching track record to sell to the BOT and Tanner). Hopefully, it will become an "alls well that ends well" story.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think the disappointment and concern is that Shane was sold to us as being some sort of magical super duper recruiter (as opposed to having a successful Head Coaching track record to sell to the BOT and Tanner). Hopefully, it will become an "alls well that ends well" story.

He had some good recruits during his tenure under Spurrier so maybe it had something to do with that. I'd imagine it was comparatively easy to recruit guys to come play for Spurrier.

So far under Beamer, our recruiting is about on par with where we always have been, mid-teens to low-twenties.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Center Issac Sowells (6-2 292) of Louisville has locked in official visits with who he considers to be his top four schools, and South Carolina will be the first stop this summer. Sowells will take his official with the Gamecocks the weekend of May 31st. He’ll follow that with visits to Kentucky, NC State and Miami.

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
I think the NIL money and portal have really hurt Beamer and all programs that are limited in resources ($$$). When he came here…NIL and the portal did not exist. We were getting an eager coach with a wholesome personality...that could relate to young athletes. Now…money and a proven winning program is more important to a player than a scholarship or promises made by a smooth talking recruiter.

Last edited:

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I think the NIL money and portal has really hurt Beamer and all programs that are limited in resources. When he came here…NIL and the portal did not exist.
That is probably true. That being the case, Shane better have his Dad's coaching chops to make "steak out of hamburger meat". If he does not, he won't last beyond another 2 seasons. Hopefully, Shane will show that he can do more with less. If not, then if the hiring authorities have any brains at all, they will hire someone from a low-tier FBS school who has a track record of beating mid and high-tier FBS schools. Why? Because I doubt that we will ever produce enough NIL monies to beat the big boys.

Can anyone explain to me what is meant by "Average NIL" under the team recruiting rankings? Clemson has $101k average NIL. We have $22k average NIL? We have thousands of more alumni than they do. Are they graduating a boatload of Bill Gates and Warren Buffetts every year who are funding their NIL?

Last edited:

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
......s.

Can anyone explain to me what is meant by "Average NIL" under the team recruiting rankings? Clemson has $101k average NIL. We have $22k average NIL? We have thousands of more alumni than they do. Are they graduating a boatload of Bill Gates and Warren Buffetts every year who are funding their NIL?
They're simply a freaking cult up thar. Cult members can do extreme things, especially when they all share a common goal.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

I would really like an explanation of that number. Last year, I believe we were very close to them.

But also, those numbers don't make sense to me. Rattler had a 2 million dollar deal. (I read somewhere, no link, could be wrong)

2 million is 20k divided between 100 players, so I really doubt that's our real average.

Reactions: Mountain guy

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I would really like an explanation of that number. Last year, I believe we were very close to them.
I really don't think there are any reliable explanations or data for those numbers. To my knowledge, NIL money is not like SEC filings that have to be publicly reported. I think folks are just making estimations and filling in narratives based on what they have heard. And most of what they have heard is probably exaggerated.

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
I think the NIL money and portal have really hurt Beamer and all programs that are limited in resources ($$$). When he came here…NIL and the portal did not exist. We were getting an eager coach with a wholesome personality...that could relate to young athletes. Now…money and a proven winning program is more important to a player than a scholarship or promises made by a smooth talking recruiter.
How do we have limited resources? We have SEC money that most other schools don't have.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Not real worried about the word commitment these days. We know the word has no meaning when you’re talking a year away. Wake me on signing day and when we sign a transfer portal guy.

Backyard Archer

Joined Aug 15, 2017
Jan 18, 2022
That is probably true. That being the case, Shane better have his Dad's coaching chops to make "steak out of hamburger meat". If he does not, he won't last beyond another 2 seasons. Hopefully, Shane will show that he can do more with less. If not, then if the hiring authorities have any brains at all, they will hire someone from a low-tier FBS school who has a track record of beating mid and high-tier FBS schools. Why? Because I doubt that we will ever produce enough NIL monies to beat the big boys.

It's a dumb system that ON3 uses to try to estimate how much in NIL funds a player will get based on things like how many people follow them on social media. It has absolutely nothing to do with how much players are or will be getting. It's just clickbait to get people talking, no basis in reality.

So in the example you provided, it just shows Clemson's recruits possible NIL worth based on some formula ON3 came up with. I haven't looked at the rankings but it's safe to assume they have some higher profile recruits who have decent followings on Instagram and Twitter.

Chris Clark

Gamecock Central Insider
Staff member
Jan 6, 2022

Hey @18IsTheMan - recommend checking out our football recruiting news feed here!

Big JC

May 12, 2023
How do we have limited resources? We have SEC money that most other schools don't have.
Two things:
1. The school and the football program cannot pay anything for NIL. All of the NIL money has to come from a collective or another outside entity.
2. The B1G schools have as much money, probably more, than the SEC schools do. Also, the top recruits are also being recruited by the other SEC schools so the money thing is a wash at best.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
Two things:
1. The school and the football program cannot pay anything for NIL. All of the NIL money has to come from a collective or another outside entity.
2. The B1G schools have as much money, probably more, than the SEC schools do. Also, the top recruits are also being recruited by the other SEC schools so the money thing is a wash at best.
Then explain to me how the little school in the upstate with a MUCH smaller alumni base is still getting it done.

kidrobinski

Jan 30, 2022
Then explain to me how the little school in the upstate with a MUCH smaller alumni base is still getting it done.
People can continue to believe that a school in the middle of nowhere attracts the athletes they always have regardless of coach and that those are subject to the same scholastic requisites as other schools; help yourself. My belief and smoke/fire evidence show they have a big head start on what’s now known as nil. Business as usual, just a bit more competition now.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
South Carolina has 1 four star and 2 three stars on their commitment list. Clemson has 10 four stars and 1 three star. Clemson is getting it done. I know that NIL has done us no favors. But, damn. Have to wonder if it can ever get done here. We seem to be falling further and further behind on the talent scale, not even near breathing distance of their car dust.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
To be brutally honest; they are whipping us because they have a winning tradition, a nice campus that actually looks like a college in a small town setting, top notch facilities, an impressive on campus stadium and a generous alumni and donor base.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
To be brutally honest; they are whipping us because they have a winning tradition, a nice campus that actually looks like a college in a small town setting, top notch facilities, an impressive on campus stadium and a generous alumni and donor base.
They do indeed have all those things. It's a true college town.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
They do indeed have all those things. It's a true college town.
If you travel to other SEC campuses and stadiums and look at them objectively you realize Carolina leaves a lot to be desired in the eyes of a recruit. I think Carolina faces a lot of the same challenges attracting recruits that Georgia tech does when it comes to campus. Not a lot of HS kids want to live in an urban environment since most of them come from suburban or rural areas. The stadium being off campus, and not just a little off campus, has to be a real negative to overcome after a recruit has gone to other schools where the stadium is either on or immediately adjacent to campus. Columbia is a nice enough city but it definitely has no college town feeling at all.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If you travel to other SEC campuses and stadiums and look at them objectively you realize Carolina leaves a lot to be desired in the eyes of a recruit. I think Carolina faces a lot of the same challenges attracting recruits that Georgia tech does when it comes to campus. Not a lot of HS kids want to live in an urban environment since most of them come from suburban or rural areas. The stadium being off campus, and not just a little off campus, has to be a real negative to overcome after a recruit has gone to other schools where the stadium is either on or immediately adjacent to campus. Columbia is a nice enough city but it definitely has no college town feeling at all.

As much as I love USC, I've never thought the setting was great...just in downtown. Definitely doesn't give off a college town vibe. I've been in Clemson and there's something about walking across campus to the stadium on gameday. Totally different feel than WBs setting amidst all the industrial buildings on Bluff Rd. Nothing we can do about it.

Reactions: Mountain guy

CAROLINA COCKTAIL

Joined Feb 15, 2018
Jan 17, 2022
I've heard almost nothing about recruiting for the 2025 class. I just haven't heard any chatter. There's usually stuff floating around about us being in the mix for this or that recruit. I'm just not hearing anything. Are we in the mix for anyone notable? Doesn't look like any 5* are in the pipeline for 2025.
Perhaps, you should consider yourself lucky. I'm certainly nowhere close to being impressed by anything I've read. I find it difficult to be optimistic reading the hype published about undersized, D2 portal bait. But then again, I didn't predict a winning season last year either.

Unless we screw the pooch, I don't think we can look forward to a change in leadership for another 2 or 3 years.

5 & 7. Feel Better Now???

Jaykid28

Jan 24, 2022
settings dont really matter too much, winning does matter. what about Miami in the 90s? stadium was located away from campus. small campus, small private school in large city.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
settings dont really matter too much, winning does matter. what about Miami in the 90s? stadium was located away from campus. small campus, small private school in large city.

Unbelievably talent rich region and a legendary future HOF coach will do that.

The obstacles mentioned above are not insurmountable, but it helps if you're in of the most talent-rich states in America. That we are not and never will be.