Who is DeMonte Russell’s backup on the DL ?

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Have we signed anyone out of the portal that can provide depth or start in his spot ?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
No, and it'll all be blamed on Leach, even though we ran off all his players.

Joe Moorhead 2.
We ran off his players? LOL
Mike Leach and Zach Arnett sucked at recruiting. They signed nothing in a lot of spots. The ones are gone aren't landing at P5 programs and we haven't really run off any in the defensive front.

Reactions: retire the banner

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
No, and it'll all be blamed on Leach, even though we ran off all his players.

Joe Moorhead 2.
sucks the worst GIF

Goat back on his BS

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Please name all the difference maker DLs that have been run off
Jacarius Clayton, Jonathan Davis, Caleb Bryant, Khalid Moore, Avery Sledge. Kalvin Dinkins isn't listed at 247 but Rosey said he's in the portal too, maybe he backed out.

There's a certain amount of attrition every year in the portal era, everybody knows that. If Lebby wants his guys, fine. But I don't see him bringing in guys that are better than what we had.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Jacarius Clayton, Jonathan Davis, Caleb Bryant, Khalid Moore, Avery Sledge. Kalvin Dinkins isn't listed at 247 but Rosey said he's in the portal too, maybe he backed out.

There's a certain amount of attrition every year in the portal era, everybody knows that. If Lebby wants his guys, fine. But I don't see him bringing in guys that are better than what we had.
Jacarius Clayton is at Marshall.
Jonathan Davis, Khalid Moore, Caleb Bryant are committed to… Southern Miss.
All indications are Sledge will be at USM too.

Congrats Goat, you just made a complete *** of yourself. But that’s nothing new.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's going to take time and a lot patience if we are going to get out of the hole we have fallen in, not this year anyway

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022

Jacarius Clayton - Marshall
Jonathan Davis - Southern Miss
Caleb Bryant - Southern Miss
Khalid Moore - Southern Miss
Avery Sledge - Uncommitted

Based on where these guys ended up, doesn't appear to be major losses. Even if we are replacing them with similar quality level, just a weird hill to die on.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Jacarius Clayton - Marshall
Jonathan Davis - Southern Miss
Caleb Bryant - Southern Miss
Khalid Moore - Southern Miss
Avery Sledge - Uncommitted

Based on where these guys ended up, doesn't appear to be major losses. Even if we are replacing them with similar quality level, just a weird hill to die on.
Typical MS players that used to be allowed to develop at a place like MSU. You think because they aren't full time "difference-making" starters during their lower class years on campus, then they aren't needed. Well, I'll give you a warning. If we are going to abandon the MS development pipeline by and large, and rather, TRY and start plucking better talent out of the portal to replace them, on the regular........well.....get ready boys. We are about to see how bad it can get.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

Leach got 5 out of the top 10 in state players in that class I believe. that probably won’t happen again.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's going to take time and a lot patience if we are going to get out of the hole we have fallen in, not this year anyway
See I don't agree with this. Arnett dug us in a hole with high school recruiting, but Lebby fixed that. The rest is managing the portal, which we don't seem to have done a very good job of. He did land a QB, and that's important, so we'll see. Certainly lost some upperclass last year, but the roster was there to continue and at least be competitive.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Typical MS players that used to be allowed to develop at a place like MSU. You think because they aren't full time "difference-making" starters during their lower class years on campus, then they aren't needed. Well, I'll give you a warning. If we are going to abandon the MS development pipeline by and large, and rather, TRY and start plucking better talent out of the portal to replace them, on the regular........well.....get ready boys. We are about to see how bad it can get.
You are just making an unsubstantiated assumption that they were "run off". Players transfer all the time, especially after a coaching change. I find it hard to believe that Lebby just told these guys to hit the road. But at the same time, these are not irreplaceable guys. Both can be true.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You are just making an unsubstantiated assumption that they were "run off". Players transfer all the time, especially after a coaching change. I find it hard to believe that Lebby just told these guys to hit the road. But at the same time, these are not irreplaceable guys. Both can be true.
It's one of two things:

- They were totally beaten out, and want to go elsewhere to play (this would make sense if they were true upper class guys);
- They were encouraged to go elsewhere,

It's hard for me to believe that these rising middle class guys would abandon a chance at future PT at MSU to go to USM, unless something else was amiss. And I'm certainly not seeing their replacement, and let's face it, we're talking about the depth here - we kinda already know the starters, the older guys. Or we did, until Russell pulled his garbage.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Typical MS players that used to be allowed to develop at a place like MSU.
This is 2024. “Development” of college football players no longer exists. It’s not a path to success anymore….for us, or anyone else. No matter how much somebody improves between offseason #1 and offseason #2, there will now ALWAYS be somebody better who can step in immediately from elsewhere.

Reason #7,938 why the college football is now a godawful product that really just needs to be put out of its own misery. The only people left who can still invest their fandom in it are people who have too much emotional muscle memory to do anything else.

Reactions: wdawg44

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
It's one of two things:

- They were totally beaten out, and want to go elsewhere to play (this would make sense if they were true upper class guys);
- They were encouraged to go elsewhere,

It's hard for me to believe that these rising middle class guys would abandon a chance at future PT at MSU to go to USM, unless something else was amiss. And I'm certainly not seeing their replacement, and let's face it, we're talking about the depth here - we kinda already know the starters, the older guys. Or we did, until Russell pulled his garbage.
When it comes to transfers, it's never one of two things. Every situation is it's own situation. And it's usually a combination of multiple factors, as is the case for most major life decisions.

Jonathan Davis and Khalid Moore are from south MS, maybe they just wanted to be back closer to home? Maybe Caleb Bryant is close with them and opted to join them?
Jacarius Clayton was TE last year, so he's had a strange time at MSU and that could have soured him.

It could be potential playing time, personal issues, not meshing with the new staff or countless other reasons. Sometime guys just want a fresh start. I see no reason to just place the blame on Lebby and staff for "running off" players with nothing to back it up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is 2024. “Development” of college football players no longer exists. It’s not a path to success anymore….for us, or anyone else. No matter how much somebody improves between offseason #1 and offseason #2, there will now ALWAYS be somebody better who can step in immediately from elsewhere.
I just don't buy into that. Does it cost some NIL? Yeah. But I'd much rather spend our limited NIL money on keeping guys here who develop early, rather than straight up buying overpriced transfers, who we won't ever compete for anyway.

Only guys we can get out of the portal are G5 guys and P5 bench warmers - and hey, we need to do that too.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The funny part about this to me is even though on paper coach Leach's last couple of recruiting classes didn't look good at all, I have a feeling he would have somehow found a way to win (not championships or making the playoffs) more than he lost with them . I guess that's what made him who he was.
Leach didn’t ever recruit well wherever he was. A lot of that was just based on the jobs he took that weren’t exactly the hot places to go play college football but he always made it work in the end.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Leach knew how to spot talent, work the portal with charlton, matthews, green, banks, Polk, lasoya. He also knew how to develop talent and run a disciplined program. He went 9-4 in his third year during the NIL era. I doubt that’s duplicated at State under the current system.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Most of those players redshirted and have been here at least two years. They didn't develop. One was a lazy sack that Arnett was going to run off before he got fired.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The funny part about this to me is even though on paper coach Leach's last couple of recruiting classes didn't look good at all, I have a feeling he would have somehow found a way to win (not championships or making the playoffs) more than he lost with them . I guess that's what made him who he was.
Leach knew how to spot talent, work the portal with charlton, matthews, green, banks, Polk, lasoya. He also knew how to develop talent and run a disciplined program. He went 9-4 in his third year during the NIL era. I doubt that’s duplicated at State under the current system.
And even with all that, his 21, 22, 23 classes were ranked 27, 26, 27 - just like Mullen's always were.

Not to mention he actually does probably make the 12-team playoffs in 2008 and 2018. And he likely would have had us rising too after a few years.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hmm, this sort of thing seems familiar.....

Moorhead's guys. Leach finally got them under control once all the COVID crap died down. Now we're back under a player's coach again, and here they go.....

Dec 28, 2019
I loved the U back in the day but it seems like a little discipline is gonna have to come back to Starkvegas. Lebby suddenly has players with weed arrests, DUI arrests and now this assault that is gonna wind up being manslaughter at best ?? Come on man.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I loved the U back in the day but it seems like a little discipline is gonna have to come back to Starkvegas. Lebby suddenly has players with weed arrests, DUI arrests and now this assault that is gonna wind up being manslaughter at best ?? Come on man.
Some folks can run a loose ship, and keep a handle on it. Jimmy Johnson, like you said, Pete Carroll, and our own King Jackie. But once it gets away, it's like a waterfall. But those guys differ from Joe Moorhead, who was a total pansy. We will see which one Lebby is but it doesn't look good.

patdog

May 28, 2007
So what’s the story here? How did I miss it? And how big of a loss is this assuming he’s off the team?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So what’s the story here? How did I miss it? And how big of a loss is this assuming he’s off the team?
Nobody is talking about it. And most people are kinda wondering who the victim is, because that could get.....explosive.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nobody is talking about it. And most people are kinda wondering who the victim is, because that could get.....explosive.
Wonderful. Looks like Lebby is bringing that Baylor look the other way on crime culture with him.