Who is the college team you find yourself rooting for across the sports outside of State?

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Football - East Carolina
Basketball - Dont care
Baseball - Florida Gulf Coast & Stetson

patdog

May 28, 2007
South Carolina - went to grad school there and my wife went to school there as well/where we met
JMU - worked there
Oakland - worked there
Richmond - worked there
Virginia Tech in football - live in VA now and have been to a few games, great environment and so similar to us
Anyone playing Ole Miss in any sport
I will also cheer against Ohio State and Michigan after living in both states, so anyone playing them
My aunt worked in the library at Oakland for many years before she retired.

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Outside of MSU for the big three sports???

University of Phoenix (online)
SNHU a close second

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
None. At some point, we all compete.

Eventually, if the P5 break away, I'll probably pick a G5 team.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
Belmont (Undefeated in FB). Moving from the OVC to MVC in hoops has been "an adjustment".
TN Tech (Never won a FB game).....only because my oldest goes here.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Not anyone in particular for football. Whoever is playing Ole Miss.

Basketball I always kinda pull for NC State just because they’re the little brother in North Carolina.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
K State Football
Wichita State Basketball
I root against everyone in baseball

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Football
Basketball
Baseball

Discuss.
EMCC football. Nobody in D1. I will watch other teams just for entertainment value and often root against certain team for various reasons but never rooting for a team because I like the team.

Last edited:

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
1) UofL Cardinals
Moved here in 2001 and adopted the local team. Great basketball support and usually decent teams in football and baseball. My oldest (son) swam for UofL (graduated last year, 3 degrees in CIS), and my daughter is prelaw there now.
2) Wake Forest
Lived in Winston-Salem in the late 90s and had box seats to the WF basketball games. ACC basketball is way better than the SEC, sorry.
3) USM
Went there my first semester freshman year and transferred to State midyear. I grew up on the Coast and USM was fairly popular in the early 80s. Drumline was bad@ss @ Southern, thus why I went there.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Football
Basketball
Baseball

Discuss.
Football- only pull for State, but have several I pull against
Basketball- I can't stand anything about the game of basketball, don't watch any at all, even State
Baseball-see Football

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I know folks who have their favorite college football team, a different favorite for basketball, and usually don't know college baseball exists.

Their favorite football team is usually bama, michigan, Ohio State, LSU and their basketball team is usually UNC or Duke. I find that very contemptible.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Football - Michigan
Basketball - Villanova
Baseball - Delta State - their venue is what the Dude was like in the early 80s

Last edited:

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
Mine is Mississippi State. I have a sister who graduated from State. Before she went to school there I didn’t care one bit about state but now State will always be #2 for me and I’ll be a Vol til the day I die.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I've spent most of my adult life working in or around higher education/college athletics. I wouldn't say I actively keep up with them on the day to day, but if they have a game on tv especially on ESPN+, I'll turn it on.

Wofford(wife is a grad)
Kentucky(wife grew up there and is a huge fan)
Marshall - When I was in sales, I had a great relationship with their AD
UT Chattanooga - See Marshall
Western Carolina - Worked there
App State - Worked there
College of Charleston - Worked there
ETSU - Worked there

UT Knoxville - Worked there, but left after a year because it was the most miserable job and athletic department to work for. Purged my closet of the horrendous orange.

Reactions: dawglurker

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
I've spent most of my adult life working in or around higher education/college athletics. I wouldn't say I actively keep up with them on the day to day, but if they have a game on tv especially on ESPN+, I'll turn it on.

Wofford(wife is a grad)
Kentucky(wife grew up there and is a huge fan)
Marshall - When I was in sales, I had a great relationship with their AD
UT Chattanooga - See Marshall
Western Carolina - Worked there
App State - Worked there
College of Charleston - Worked there
ETSU - Worked there

UT Knoxville - Worked there, but left after a year because it was the most miserable job and athletic department to work for. Purged my closet of the horrendous orange.
Was the AD Mike Hamilton or Dave Hart when you were at Tennessee?

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
FSU used to be my bandwagon team. Now it’s MSU, anyone playing OM, and anyone that will help MSU by winning.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Football
Basketball
Baseball

Discuss.
I used to pull for UPig. I've lived in the state most of my life and all my family are fans. Son and daughter in law graduated there. However, the older I get and the more crap I hear about being a State fan from some family and locals, the more I find myself rooting against UPig. Not to the level of ole miss but still against.
I root some for the tiny little college my daughter is graduating from.

Other than that, I really root more more for individual players that I like for how they play the game and handle themselves off the field.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Iowa State.

- Close by.
- Ton of friends are alum/fans.
- They are the MSU of the North.
- Hilton Magic is real.
- One of both kids will likely go there

I know a guy who's distant kin to me is an Iowa grad. He loves to show that off, along with all his frat buddies, who tend to be douchebags when they are all together. Just saying.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Memphis State in football and basketball.
Arkansas in football, was born in arkansas and 99% of my mothers side of family is from there, so all I heard was Arkansas when I was young.

Will pull for any school against Mississippi and "most" schools that a former State player transferred to, Garrett Shrader, Will Rogers, etc........

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
LSU in football is the only other team I pull for. Was an LSU fan before going to MSU for graduate school. Now consider myself a State fan first and foremost. Loved MSU and Starkville.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I like (more like I 'don't mind') USM winning. Not against State of course, but other than that - I like the idea of them spoiling the party when they play P5 teams. I really wanted them to beat UT in their regional last year because I like Scott Berry a lot (I know some of his family.) I know and like a good many of their alumni.

Plus I like Hattiesburg. Development down there is good for the state, plus I've had my share of fun down there over the years. Those people like to party, which I can get behind.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Was born on BAMA campus at DCH.
Lived in Middle TN
Mom was from OM family.
Dad was a ME grad from Miss. State
I was a huge BAMA fan growing up with the Bear in his prime
Even had a Johnny Musso Crimson Tide jersey with #22 on it. (The Italian Stallion!)
Mom didn't want me going to State and she knew I wouldn't go to OM, so she applied for me to BAMA. (next best thing to her).
When BAMA acceptance letter came in the mail, Dad saw it and knew he had to go into action to get me to MSU.
He bribed me with a car (Ford Pinto....yeah, I'm easy) saying most kids didn't even have a car (true back then)
Told me by going to State, he could save enough on Out-of-State tuition to buy the car and maybe get a better one in my soph/jr years.
The rest is history, and I sort of side with BAMA when State can't get it done.
OOC school I like are the Wyoming Cowboys.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Anyone playing ole miss in anything.
Penn St and Fl State in football.
Villanova in basketball.
An underdog that’s not going to affect MSU in a negative way in most sports.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
In conference I’d say LSU as a second favorite then Florida.

LSU logo and colors are sick. The lore of Tiger Stadium and those early 2000’s defenses were just so fun to watch and so nasty. I like their baseball when they aren’t playing us.

Florida has awesome colors and logo in my opinion. The swamp has always been so cool to me. Love spurrier. I like Billy Donovan.

Out of conference is probably Texas Tech and Colorado. In-laws are all Red Raider grads and they’re basically the Mississippi State of the Big 12. I’ve liked Colorado for a long time and used to make dynasty’s with them on the CFB video games. Loved playing in snow games and love the black, gold and white and my favorite animal is a buffalo. Think that buffalo running out is awesome.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
You guys in Arkansas.... I feel for you if you have not adopted the Razorbacks.

I was in LR for a few years and quickly learned they are difficult to deal with. They would get down right insulted to learn someone wasn't a Razorback fan. Of course it was even more difficult because I was there in the Croom era and they were good with McFadden and company.

If I would have stayed there, I would have probably just conceded and taken up their cause. Because it was all Razorback all the time on radio, tv, at church and anyone else you talked to. I admired and hated their passion all at the same time.