Why Are YOU a Husker Fan?

Redscarlet

May 31, 2022
When was it, where was it.

Should be some great stories.
1963 after JFK assignation. Watch the game as a very young youth with friends of my father because we could get KOLN in Lincoln on rabbit ears.. ( The modern youth wouldn’t understand )

First conference title won since playing in the Rose Bowl in 1941..

Enough said..

scarletred

May 31, 2022
1963 after JFK assignation. Watch the game as a very young youth with friends of my father because we could get KOLN in Lincoln on rabbit ears.. ( The modern youth wouldn’t understand )

Enough said..
I was at the 1941 rose bowl

In the 3rd quarter we held Stanford 4 straight plays from the one yard line and then inexplicably decided to punt on first down - that punt was returned for a touchdown clinching the victory

Atrociously officiated game

itseasyas1-2-3

May 31, 2022

Enough said..
It was 1963 after the JFK assassination.... (I was gonna steal that story and claim it was mine. Figured it worked once already this week.)

Redscarlet

May 31, 2022
I was at the 1941 rose bowl

In the 3rd quarter we held Stanford 4 straight plays from the one yard line and then inexplicably decided to punt on first down - that punt was returned for a touchdown clinching the victory

Atrociously officiated game
You’re a loser and a thief and now your a liar..

Reactions: SOHusker11

rs11

Aug 28, 2022
Wen to Devaney’sfirst game. Season tickets in famil forty tears. First cousin a stude trainer Osborne married a hometown girl.

rs11

Aug 28, 2022

Enough said..
Was in east stands that day. Cold and dreary.

chipotlehusker

Jun 1, 2022
I’m from Nebraska so it’s natural!
Solidified after NU upset Oklahoma & Bud Wilkinson in Lincoln. “free weekend@ after campus cops said to celebrate a great victory!
(we knew what THAT meant 🍺)

Nuts McClanahan

Jul 3, 2022
Fall Saturdays in the 70's listening to Lyle Bremser on the radio. My first memory of a Husker game was the 1975 Fiesta Bowl vs. Arizona State. I remember very little of the game, but I remember seeing the starters announced.

Reactions: HUSKER POWER4

RedMenHusker

Oct 5, 2022
Growing up in Kensington Kansas all we had were Rabbit Ears is the 70's. All Nebraska Local channels, then my dad would take us to Brads Supper club in Franklin Nebraska on Saturday nights, they had a Nebraska Helmet in there. I was hooked at a young age lol.

Jollyroger72

Sep 1, 2022
When was it, where was it.

Should be some great stories.
I’ve been a fan since junior high when I really began liking sports and we were winners. It all really hit home though when I was in the service and caught a lot of crap for being in the Navy and coming from Nebraska. All I had to say was, “ How’s your football team doing?” Crickets!!!

NikkiSixx

May 31, 2022
I remember hearing the go big red chant as a kid and realized that was 'us' when my dad was watching a game (don't recall which).. this was in the mid 70's and I remember many a fall day listening to Lyle Bremser on the radio counting out the field markers during running plays while I ran around the yard pretending to be Jarvis Redwine or I.M. Hipp.

Huskirb

Jun 9, 2022
I remember in 1964 seeing "Go Big Red" painted on the siding of an abandoned house in Beatrice and wondering what it meant. My uncle told me it was in reference to the Cornhuskers. Then I remember watching the bowl games on January 1st, 1971. First, Texas lost in the Cotton Bowl, then Ohio State lost in the Rose Bowl, setting up Nebraska to win the National Championship in the Orange Bowl against LSU. Joe Orduna and Jerry Tagge stood out to me. It was our first National Championship and almost surreal. From that point on, I was a fan.
I worked construction in the 70's and still hold fond memories of listening to Lyell Bremser paint the picture of what was happening during games while shingling a roof. Hey, does anybody remember NU vs Missouri on November 18, 1978? That game ripped my heart out.
That is why I'm a Husker fan. Through the years, no other sports team has ever made me feel the extreme elation and the utter despair like they have.
GBR

GRHusker

Jan 10, 2023
My family had just moved to Omaha from Dubuque earlier in the summer, so there wasn't a family history of Husker fans. It was November 11th, 1978 and I was 10 years old. Nebraska had just stunned #1 OU 17-14. On our way to the grocery store we drove through the intersection at 90th and Pacific and everybody was honking their horns and hanging out their car windows waving Nebraska hats - basically going nuts. I wondered what the hell was going on and have been hooked ever since.

HuskerHusaria

May 31, 2022
My earliest memory is watching the 92 season. The 93 title, being told to go to bed at 5 yrs old. I was a Husker fan already. My grandpa took me to a game, 50 year holder. I still love him....